Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Old Republic release date: 12-20-11
Old Republic release date: 12-20-11
2011-09-24, 9:01 AM #1
http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20110924?sourceid=eag3106
2011-09-24, 9:37 AM #2
Maybe they should have just made KotOR3.

From what I've read, the project ended up way over budget.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2011-09-24, 9:38 AM #3
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
Maybe they should have just made KotOR3.

This, this, a million times this.
2011-09-24, 10:32 AM #4
For some reason this game is not popular whatsoever in these forums, but I am legitly stoked for this.
2011-09-24, 10:38 AM #5
Originally posted by Al Ciao:
This, this, a million times this.

a billion times this
2011-09-24, 11:01 AM #6
Originally posted by x25064:
For some reason this game is not popular whatsoever in these forums, but I am legitly stoked for this.

I'd like to play it, cuz I'm a big KotOR fan, but I prefer SP stuff. I'm not an MMO'er. Don't have the time or money for those, plus I hate their repetitive formats.
2011-09-24, 11:13 AM #7
I'd like to play it, cuz I'm a big KotOR fan, but I prefer SP stuff. I'm not an MMO'er. Don't have the time or money for those, plus I hate their repetitive formats.

This.

Oh, and I was kind of hoping that Revan and the Exile would have teamed up and beaten the True Sith instead but hey >_>
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2011-09-24, 11:34 AM #8

No, the forums were, at one time, very excited for this game. But that was 5 years ago.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2011-09-24, 11:42 AM #9
I remember when these forums were excited for Star Wars Galaxies. That didn't last long.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2011-09-24, 11:46 AM #10
I was under the impression that Revan = Exile

I've only played the games though, so I'm not familiar with the books.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2011-09-24, 11:55 AM #11
What? How did you think Revan = Exile? The game in no way says that, indeed specifically speaks of Revan as being a separate person.
2011-09-24, 11:56 AM #12
From what I understand the MMO takes place 500 years or so after KOTOR. I wont be playing it, I'm not much into mmo's for the above stated reasons.
My blawgh.
2011-09-24, 12:04 PM #13
Look at it this way, folks. No matter how bad it may turn out, it can't be as bad as Final Fantasy 14.
2011-09-24, 12:06 PM #14
Originally posted by ORJ_JoS:
I was under the impression that Revan = Exile

How is that even possible, half of the dialogue in the game is you asking Kreia questions about Revan, where is he/ whats he doing etc
2011-09-24, 1:30 PM #15
Personally I think this game is going to be excellent. They've had enough time to cover all the fine details and do things right. I don't have time for MMO's anymore either, but this I can make an exception for.
2011-09-24, 1:49 PM #16
Personally I think this game is going to be excellent. They've had enough time to cover all the fine details and do things right. I don't have time for MMO's anymore either, but this I can make an exception for.

I agree, it's going to be excellent. Bioware's making it, how could it not be? It's just I'm not into MMOs. If I ever play one, it'll be this one. But I'm not playing one, not now at any rate.
2011-09-24, 2:13 PM #17
I'm buying it. I think it will be a pretty decent game. And for another reason I can't state....
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2011-09-24, 2:49 PM #18
Originally posted by Outlaw Torn:
I'm buying it. I think it will be a pretty decent game. And for another reason I can't state....

Color me intrigued.

If this one of those, "If I tell you, I have to kill you," things, by all means, tell me! I'll just come back as a White Wizard or something...
2011-09-24, 3:40 PM #19
The books led me to believe that the old republic was a place of mystery and imagination, not a place where lightsabers did 1d6 of goddamn damage
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2011-09-24, 3:59 PM #20
I agree, it's going to be excellent. Bioware's making it, how could it not be?
Very easily.
2011-09-24, 4:45 PM #21
Originally posted by Alan:
The books led me to believe that the old republic was a place of mystery and imagination, not a place where lightsabers did 1g6 of goddamn damage

It's actually 2d6 damage, at least in KotOR 1 and 2. :P

But yeah, I empathize. I think the Kevin J. Anderson and Tom Veitch comics did a good job of conjuring up the ancient feel of it, but to me it still never quite felt like Star Wars, despite how cool it was. I much preferred KotOR's take on it, which takes place about 40-ish years after Anderson's The Sith War.q
2011-09-24, 5:11 PM #22
i will not be buying this.

1) don't need another mmo
2) you kill reven and hk-47 in a mid-level dungeon. no thank you.
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2011-09-24, 5:13 PM #23
Originally posted by landfish:

Are you serious? I still have to give it to Bioware. It seems like they succeed in implementing a strong story for a MMORPG that mimics that of a single player......still would have preferred KotR 3.
2011-09-24, 9:59 PM #24
Originally posted by Couchman:
How is that even possible, half of the dialogue in the game is you asking Kreia questions about Revan, where is he/ whats he doing etc

Large spoiler for anyone who has not played kotor 1

Well.... in kotor 1 part way through you find out you WERE revan, you were captured and your memory was destroyed by the Jedi council.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2011-09-24, 10:16 PM #25
They've had enough time to cover all the fine details and do things right.

"having had enough time" has never been a guarantee of quality before... :P
2011-09-25, 12:36 AM #26
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Very easily.

Games bioware has made that have not delivered?

Quote:
"having had enough time" has never been a guarantee of quality before...

Yeah, Daikatana comes to mind, but based on all the content and trailers they have released for this, you really can't go wrong.
2011-09-25, 1:51 AM #27
I find games like this to be far too addictive/destructive for my taste.
? :)
2011-09-25, 3:22 AM #28
Games bioware has made that have not delivered?
Neverwinter Nights, Jade Empire, and Dragon Age 2. Depending on who you ask.

They're also owned by EA now, and EA has a very long and almost complete history of destroying their acquisitions (e.g. Origin, Westwood, Bullfrog, Pandemic.)

Before EA, Bioware had only developed one sequel - BG2 - and the rest were outsourced to other companies. Now, like all other EA units, Bioware is exclusively a developer of mid-budget sequels and spin-offs for their pre-EA franchises. Bioware's already dead and gone, it's just hard to tell because we're working through several years of development lag (n.b. DA2 is the first game that's 100% post-EA.)

As far as I'm concerned, the only real question is how much of TOR was finished before EA bought them.
2011-09-25, 3:27 AM #29
Must be a part of my annoying newfound general reluctance to play RPGs, but I'm hoping for a UE3-based Star Wars FPS instead. Preferably set during the OT era. I guess I've got bored of the Jedi stuff already and TFU, while having some interesting game mechanics, reminded me more of Dragon Ball Z (which isn't actually that bad from a certain perspective, but definitely bad from the "more like DBZ than SW" perspective) and from the top of my head I can't even remember any SW games that would have really caught my interest since Republic Commando in early 2005. BFII (late 2005) was quite nice even if I never finished the campaign and I wish I had played more of EAW but it fell flat pretty quickly at the time.
2011-09-25, 3:34 AM #30
Quote:
NWN2 was pretty forgettable.
Quote:
They're also owned by EA now, and EA has a very long and almost complete history of destroying their acquisitions (e.g. Origin, Westwood, Bullfrog, Pandemic.)
Also Kesmai. Sort of off-topic, but I've finished Mass Effect, which was ok. I've just started MA2, and they seem to have dumbed down some aspects, and put more effort into thoroughly boring things, like surveying planets. As I don't want to go through this game holding mouse cursors over planets and surveying for snotty minerals, am I going to lose out by not doing this? Or is the whole thing not really worth bothering with?
2011-09-25, 3:41 AM #31

Neverwinter Nights.. are you kidding me... I still play that game to this day. It's amazing.

As far as Old Republic goes.. already got my preorder. And for all those complaining about not getting KotOR 3.. this essentially is KotOR 3. From what I can tell, it's more story driven then any other MMO out there. It seems to be more like a single player RPG with MMO elements added. If you like the SP stuff you can do all the story crap and if you like the MMO stuff then you can do that. And the fact that there are NPC companions just suggests that you most likely can play the majority of the game on your own if you so choose (except for possibly the higher level raids).

I'm really excited for this.. December can't come soon enough!
2011-09-25, 6:06 AM #32
I'm anxious for the release, but I've been having a blast in the beta. :)
2011-09-25, 7:33 AM #33
Originally posted by IRG SithLord:
I'm anxious for the release, but I've been having a blast in the beta. :)

Ditto.
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2011-09-25, 8:24 AM #34

Before EA, Bioware had only developed one sequel - BG2 - and the rest were outsourced to other companies. Now, like all other EA units, Bioware is exclusively a developer of mid-budget sequels and spin-offs for their pre-EA franchises. Bioware's already dead and gone, it's just hard to tell because we're working through several years of development lag (n.b. DA2 is the first game that's 100% post-EA.)

As far as I'm concerned, the only real question is how much of TOR was finished before EA bought them.

Fair enough as you said debateable. I thought Jade Empire was fantastic, and NWN wasn't all that bad either. For being acquired by EA, they've seemed to do alright with the Mass Effect series.. so I would say its all on perspective.

Originally posted by GHORG:
NWN2 was pretty forgettable. Also Kesmai. Sort of off-topic, but I've finished Mass Effect, which was ok. I've just started MA2, and they seem to have dumbed down some aspects, and put more effort into thoroughly boring things, like surveying planets. As I don't want to go through this game holding mouse cursors over planets and surveying for snotty minerals, am I going to lose out by not doing this? Or is the whole thing not really worth bothering with?

Personally I found ME2 to be one of the best games I've ever played but thats just me. You'll need to do a fair amount of mining if you want any sort of weapons upgrades or ship upgrades, which you'll need for endgame.
2011-09-25, 8:53 AM #35
Quote:
As I don't want to go through this game holding mouse cursors over planets and surveying for snotty minerals, am I going to lose out by not doing this? Or is the whole thing not really worth bothering with?
You need to mine enough material to buy all the upgrades. The upgrades that are unlocked by completing loyalty missions are especially important, unless you don't care about your crew. ME2's 'rpg' aspects are ****tacular, it's a much better experience if you play it like a shooter.

(You can definitely see a bit of EA taint over ME2. I don't know if they had been bought already when the game was made, but it has some of that EA feel. It's a game designed with a formula. It's technically sound, but it's dumbed down, utterly soulless, and there's no attempt to innovate. Ubisoft games are the same way. They are designed by committee and you can tell the creators are just doing their jobs, not something they love.)
2011-09-25, 9:51 AM #36
Mass Effect is Guns 'n' Conversation. More so with ME2 I suppose, but the weak-ass storyline in that game (compared to the original) was a disappointment.

Big Poorly-written Mass Effect Rant, contains Triple Spoilers:
All the mystery and discovery of the first one, hinting at what the Reapers are, was pretty great. Gradually learning the full extent of that threat generated a rising sense of tension... gradually replacing that sort of 'ancient, eldritch power' mystery with the dire necessity of action as the plot moved toward the end kept it from being stale in the manner of ME2's story. Also, Shepard's journey, being given a chance to prove the value of humanity, stepping into a new, powerful role, and dealing with the ramifications of that, was pretty good, whereas in ME2 it's just like 'oh **** it's Shepard she's/he's a badass and she's/he's BAAAAAAACK. You don't personally undergo much development... and whether or not there's much development in ME, at least the point at which your character exists is a turning point for herself/himself and humanity.

ME2 just didn't grab you with the same wonder or emergency that ME did... "entire colonies are disappearing without a trace" somehow wasn't that compelling, and the whole Collector threat wasn't that mysterious. Discovering the truth about the Collectors has nowhere near the resonance of discovering the truth about Sovereign because there's no further, dreadful implication. "The Collectors are the ones doing this (ok), and they're Proteans (huh, interesting, ok), and they're working for the Reapers (obviously)." as opposed to "Sovereign is a member of a race of unimaginably huge synthetic organisms that have apparently existed in the universe since its inception and return every so often to wipe out civilization (wait, so? where did they come from? are they literally unstoppable? are they gods? are they just machines made by someone?)"... the mythical status of Reapers made them a compelling enemy. Knowing that they're supposedly immortal and eternal raises many questions and implies much, whereas every question raised about the Collectors is answered by "oh they're just working for the reapers same as last game" or "now we've learned that the reapers enslave us instead of just massacring everyone!" as though this bring more fear. Eh.

The quests in ME2 either further the straightforward Collector plot (Investigate colonies > discover Collectors > Ambush on Collector Ship + slight betrayal from Illusive Man but it's just for our own good > Get hall-pass for Omega 4 relay > go fight them and win)... or are loyalty + party building quests. Since none of those quests refer to or have implications for the main plotline, it feels like it's very short and undeveloped, like "Oh great, you got your whole team? Got 'em all loyal, got their special powers? OK FINAL MISSION."

In ME, the building of the cast of characters is a consequence of Shepard's travels investigating Sovereign and Saren. Party members are added as part of quests that are independently interesting, and also have implications for those quests: Ashley's from Eden Prime, Liara was in that lab, Kaiden's a douchebag with an annoying voice, Garrus was investigating Saren for C-Sec, etc.

I know this thread isn't about Mass Effect, sorry.
2011-09-25, 10:40 AM #37

Whoa. Full stop. Neverwinter Nights was one of Bioware's most popular games. Jade Empire is one of my personal favorites, and I wish they'd make a sequel. DA2 I have yet to play, however, but most people seem to agree it's a good game, although they debate which is better DAO or DA2.

Originally posted by FastGamerr:
Must be a part of my annoying newfound general reluctance to play RPGs, but I'm hoping for a UE3-based Star Wars FPS instead. Preferably set during the OT era. I guess I've got bored of the Jedi stuff already and TFU, while having some interesting game mechanics, reminded me more of Dragon Ball Z (which isn't actually that bad from a certain perspective, but definitely bad from the "more like DBZ than SW" perspective) and from the top of my head I can't even remember any SW games that would have really caught my interest since Republic Commando in early 2005. BFII (late 2005) was quite nice even if I never finished the campaign and I wish I had played more of EAW but it fell flat pretty quickly at the time.

I'm curious. How is TFU like DBZ? I ask because I am not familiar with DBZ, but I have played and greatly enjoyed TFU.

NWN2 was pretty forgettable.

NWN2 was NOT made by Bioware, only the first one was. However, it is still popular to this day, with a strong community.

I've just started MA2, and they seem to have dumbed down some aspects, and put more effort into thoroughly boring things, like surveying planets. As I don't want to go through this game holding mouse cursors over planets and surveying for snotty minerals, am I going to lose out by not doing this? Or is the whole thing not really worth bothering with?

Yeah, I absolutely HATED the mining minigame. I mean, doing it a few times was okay, but c'mon! I finally threw my hands up in the air in disgust and got a trainer to cheat the minerals into my inventory.

Originally posted by landfish:

Are you serious? How do you know this? I'd love to see where this is told! Awesome!

Originally posted by MysteriousSith:
And for all those complaining about not getting KotOR 3.. this essentially is KotOR 3. From what I can tell, it's more story driven then any other MMO out there. It seems to be more like a single player RPG with MMO elements added. If you like the SP stuff you can do all the story crap and if you like the MMO stuff then you can do that. And the fact that there are NPC companions just suggests that you most likely can play the majority of the game on your own if you so choose (except for possibly the higher level raids).

Awesome! Yeah, I've pretty much been told this, which is a good sign as far as I'm concerned, but I still don't have the money for a monthly subscription nor a net connection strong enough for an MMO.

Originally posted by saberopus:
(Much ranting on Mass Effect)

I've never analyzed it the way you have, but I have to agree. For whatever reason, though, I still haven't been able to get through a replay of the first one. It's a great game, I LOVED playing it, but I just can't get into a replay. I think I'm actually a little burnt out on Bioware. ME2 was meh (although still enjoyable), and I'm playing DAO now, but it's not particularly grabbing me.

On the other hand, I started replaying KotOR the other week and am having a blast. That's the high point in Bioware's career, as far as I'm concerned.
2011-09-25, 10:49 AM #38
Quote:
I'm curious. How is TFU like DBZ? I ask because I am not familiar with DBZ, but I have played and greatly enjoyed TFU.

Basically, both of those are comprised of over-the-top "MY POWER/FORCE LEVEL IS STRONGER THAN YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRSSSSSSSSSSSSS" shenanigans, resulting in bland Mary Sue characterization. But hey, I think both TFU and DBZ are still quite entertaining to a degree.
2011-09-25, 1:43 PM #39
Originally posted by MysteriousSith:
Neverwinter Nights.. are you kidding me... I still play that game to this day. It's amazing.
I've poured hundreds of hours into NWN. That doesn't change the fact that it was a complete disaster. The game was originally developed to be a D&D toolkit - it wasn't going to have a campaign at all. They threw one together at the last minute and every lousy, untested, poorly-written, instant-death-filled minute of it shows.

SoU and HotU were the only things that saved Neverwinter Nights.

(NWN was also the first game they developed without Interplay/BIS to keep them in line.)

I thought Jade Empire was fantastic, and NWN wasn't all that bad either.
I also liked Jade Empire, but a lot of people hated it because it wasn't "Bioware" enough - e.g. no turn-based combat.

Originally posted by JM:
(You can definitely see a bit of EA taint over ME2. I don't know if they had been bought already when the game was made, but it has some of that EA feel. It's a game designed with a formula. It's technically sound, but it's dumbed down, utterly soulless, and there's no attempt to innovate. Ubisoft games are the same way. They are designed by committee and you can tell the creators are just doing their jobs, not something they love.)
ME2 was already in early development when EA bought Bioware. Their corporate philosophy would definitely have had an effect on the game, but DA2 is the only title they've made that has had its entire development history under EA.

DA2 I have yet to play, however, but most people seem to agree it's a good game, although they debate which is better DAO or DA2.
Most people? Seriously? Metacritic has a user score of 4.2 / 10. The only people who like the game are professional critics.
2011-09-25, 3:39 PM #40
I've never analyzed it the way you have, but I have to agree. For whatever reason, though, I still haven't been able to get through a replay of the first one. It's a great game, I LOVED playing it, but I just can't get into a replay.

Yeah, I can imagine after getting used to some of the polish of ME2, it'd be hard to replay ME1... I haven't been inclined yet, but I plan to within the next couple of months. I do really enjoy ME2 despite those nitpicks, those are more plot-oriented... the gameplay and art are pretty great. The universe itself still has plenty of potential. I just hope ME3 gets into a compelling storyline to finish off the series. Something with the intrigue of the first game. Fingers crossed.

↑ Up to the top!