Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Windows 8 Beta superstation.
Windows 8 Beta superstation.
2012-02-28, 10:40 AM #1
Tommorow MSFT will release the "Windows 8 Consumer Preview" A.K.A Windows 8 Beta, to the public. Along with MS Flight (The new flight sim) which will be free to play, so that's neat too.

What's different, whats new?
The most obvious thing is the new "Metro" screen, derived from Windows Phone 7 it's a touch based interface that has serious promise on tablets, the problem is that they are forcing it into desktop installs as well, as of yet there seems to be no way to remove it.

Otherwise, a host of improvements in explorer and under the hood look promising. Boot up is speed up, etc. The question is "Will metro be a deal breaker". Personally I just hope there is a way to remove metro and use the old desktop.
2012-02-28, 11:40 AM #2
There is a way to get to the ordinary task bar and start menu. i forget what it is specifically, but they made it so you could use one or the other. i think that Metro is just the "default" look.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2012-02-28, 11:48 AM #3
Holy Crap MS Flight is coming out already? I was following it what seemed like just a few months ago and there were like 2 videos and almost no information. I figured it was pretty far out and forgot about it. I'm pumped about that.
2012-02-28, 12:06 PM #4
Originally posted by Dash_rendar:
Holy Crap MS Flight is coming out already? I was following it what seemed like just a few months ago and there were like 2 videos and almost no information. I figured it was pretty far out and forgot about it. I'm pumped about that.

I was in the beta. It was pretty neat, but I didn't play it much due to not having a flight stick to play it with.
2012-02-28, 12:11 PM #5
My cousin had the beta and showed me, I believe there was a way to get out of the metro look as Ford was saying, but it was definately designed to be an equal product for tablets

still looks awesome though
2012-02-28, 12:11 PM #6
I've been playing MS Flight Sim for about 10 years now, just for kicks. The engine has been in dire need of an update. I'm not nearly as good or as serious as I should be for playing that long and owning all the versions in that period, but I still find it the funnest experience on a PC. Then again I'm also the kind of guy to blow 3 hours straight on Google Earth just looking at stuff.

Can't wait to see how Flight is different than MSFS.
2012-02-28, 12:13 PM #7
I didn't really like 8 =/
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2012-02-28, 1:02 PM #8
Originally posted by Tibby:
Personally I just hope there is a way to remove metro and use the old desktop.

You know the desktop is still there right? Metro just acts as a 'dashboard' for your stuff. Launch Microsoft word and it takes you to the standard desktop. Metro wasn't quite as clunky as I was expecting in the last RC I tried. I'm excited to try it out in this newer version.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2012-02-28, 1:13 PM #9
You mis-understand me, I want the old start menu back (start now links you to the metro interface) and an option to totally disable metro. I just don't want it when I'm on a desktop at all. It's an excellent tablet interface, but as far as I'm concerned it can **** right off of my desktop.
2012-02-28, 1:19 PM #10
Have you used it or are you just saying things
2012-02-28, 1:36 PM #11
Does anyone care except for nerditrons? Not really. Will it enhance my productivity? Not really. Will tablets gain any significant market share? Not really. What drives me to upgrade to Windows 8 if I don't own a tablet PC? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
2012-02-28, 1:41 PM #12
You mis-understand me, I want the old start menu back (start now links you to the metro interface) and an option to totally disable metro. I just don't want it when I'm on a desktop at all. It's an excellent tablet interface, but as far as I'm concerned it can **** right off of my desktop.

This.
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2012-02-28, 1:49 PM #13
Also, which old start menu? The windows 7 one? The previous flyout one?
2012-02-28, 1:50 PM #14
Originally posted by mb:
Have you used it or are you just saying things

I used the "Developer Preview" for two weeks before my annoyence at getting thrown from the desktop over to metro, and then back again, in order to launch anything drove me to delete the partition and go back to 7. I think somebody hacked the start menu back in, we'll see.
2012-02-28, 1:57 PM #15
*cough*
2012-02-28, 2:04 PM #16
I used the "Developer Preview" for two weeks before my annoyence at getting thrown from the desktop over to metro, and then back again, in order to launch anything drove me to delete the partition and go back to 7. I think somebody hacked the start menu back in, we'll see.

I'm just sayin- since youre a guy who wont give episode 1 a chance cause some neckbeard wrote a 2 hour review of why it sucks, maybe youre not giving win8 a fair chance. Also keep in mind you were attempting to use a developer preview for your primary copy of windows.

I do agree the desktop to metro transition was jarring. I'm hoping theyve found a way to make that a bit more seamless.
2012-02-28, 2:04 PM #17
I watched Episode 1 like 80 kajillion times, what are you even talking about. What, Who says I'm not giving anything a fair chance?

We'll see if that works again in the beta. MSFT will probably "patch" out the "hole" it uses. I would prefer an official option, much like the "Classic Start Menu" that was in until Vista, but we'll see.
2012-02-28, 3:20 PM #18
oooh... I didn't see that process to disable Metro... I didn't really like the Metro/classic desktop duo, just because it made things awkward, switching between the two. This helps support that Microsoft will likely put an option in to disable metro, or that the ability to REGEDIT it out will be there.
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2012-02-28, 3:37 PM #19
I watched Episode 1 like 80 kajillion times, what are you even talking about. What, Who says I'm not giving anything a fair chance?

We'll see if that works again in the beta. MSFT will probably "patch" out the "hole" it uses. I would prefer an official option, much like the "Classic Start Menu" that was in until Vista, but we'll see.

So you want a new version of windows, but you just don't want anything to be new other than performance improvements?

I think mb is trying to insinuate that you didn't actually form this opinion on your own, and are simply regurgitating it after having read it on some douchebag tech blog that you read. Either that or you picked it up in computer janitor school. The important thing to remember is that no one believes that you are remotely capable of forming an intelligent opinion on something by yourself, which is why you like 2 hour diatribes about movies you were told you aren't supposed to like.
>>untie shoes
2012-02-28, 4:06 PM #20
I'm cool with metro, I just don't want it forced on me. Like I said I believe it to be a great tablet interface, but yes on the desktop I just want performance improvements and new technology, UI changes have always come with a new windows but they have always had a fallback option.
I'm not even gonna bother with the other 4/5s of that post.
2012-02-28, 4:56 PM #21
It's not being forced on you. If you don't like it, then don't buy Windows 8. I'm sure you'd probably complain if it wasn't radically different visually that it was just a repackaging of Windows 7 that should have been a service pack.

EDIT: Also, lol at you for acting like the majority of what I posted is pointless. If you want, I'll make a two hour video complaining about why the Windows 7 interface is better than Metro. That'll make it easier for you, so you can just post that any time someone brings it up, like it makes you smart for agreeing with it.
>>untie shoes
2012-02-28, 5:14 PM #22
I don't get what your problem is. You've decided to drag the fact that I enjoy the RLM reviews of the prequels in here, because in my opinion I think the old start menu works better on a desktop. You really need to go back through your chain of logic and find the spot where it veered way off course into crazy town.

Wait, no don't. I'm sorry this thread is about Windows 8. So please, let's drop this.
2012-02-28, 5:48 PM #23
If the developer preview is any indication in how Metro is going to work on desktops, I don't want it either. It feels like an OS on top of an OS, that will be there for just enough things to be annoying. I don't like the idea of having to constantly switch between two VERY different UIs just to get things done. I feel like I'm running a VM when I use it.

I will be trying the consumer preview tomorrow, and hopefully much of this is addressed, but honestly I haven't seen any indication of that.
2012-02-28, 6:20 PM #24
I love Metro. I use a Windows Phone and love it, and I installed the dev preview on my Asus tablet and loved it. I am not a fan of the implementation for a desktop though. It needs work between now and RTM if they want people to use it outside of tablets. Even if they do significantly improve it though, I imagine the option to not use it will stay there. I can tell you one thing, they will take a huge hit in potential corporate adoption if companies aren't able to deploy it with a classic Windows 7 style start menu.
2012-02-28, 6:23 PM #25
I don't get what your problem is. You've decided to drag the fact that I enjoy the RLM reviews of the prequels in here, because in my opinion I think the old start menu works better on a desktop. You really need to go back through your chain of logic and find the spot where it veered way off course into crazy town.

Wait, no don't. I'm sorry this thread is about Windows 8. So please, let's drop this.

I'm trolling you because I don't like you. This should be obvious.
>>untie shoes
2012-02-28, 6:59 PM #26
MS Flight is now out, for free.
2012-02-28, 7:03 PM #27
Microsofts making a bold move for their software. Good for them. Hopefully the metro experience works out and theyve improved it. If they did well with it, then Im glad they're not going to have the option to go back. EXECUTIVE DECISION.
2012-02-28, 7:17 PM #28
On another note, I love the new taskmanager:
2012-02-28, 10:00 PM #29
Visual Studio 11 Beta comes tomorrow too.

I'm excited.
2012-02-29, 1:07 AM #30
The whole point of the Developer Preview was to get developers to start writing apps for Metro. OF COURSE they shoved Metro in your face.

I love Metro, but not as a replacement for the start menu. Based on everything I've heard about the development process for 8, I trust Microsoft to not **** it up.
2012-02-29, 1:30 AM #31
Let's see, I used Windows 98 SE from 1998 'til 2004, Windows XP from 2004 'til 2010 and Windows 7 ever since. It better last for at least 4.5 years from now.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2012-02-29, 2:45 AM #32

What's different, whats new?
The most obvious thing is the new "Metro" screen, derived from Windows Phone 7 it's a touch based interface that has serious promise on tablets, the problem is that they are forcing it into desktop installs as well, as of yet there seems to be no way to remove it.

Otherwise, a host of improvements in explorer and under the hood look promising. Boot up is speed up, etc. The question is "Will metro be a deal breaker". Personally I just hope there is a way to remove metro and use the old desktop.

Why are you acting like any of this is new?

Even the developer preview had a way to disable metro, you mindless blathering pedant.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2012-02-29, 3:14 AM #33
I keep reading this thread as windows 8 superstition
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2012-02-29, 5:45 AM #34
Forcing metro onto desktops is one thing. But why did they force it onto the xbox? Do you know what a pain in the ass it is to navigate when the only input device you have is a thumbstick?

At any rate, MS seems to have moved away from refining existing products to inventing wholly new ones and leaving the existing ones to languish full of bugs.
2012-02-29, 5:47 AM #35
^ They want everyone to go for Kinect. Ugh.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2012-02-29, 6:51 AM #36
Originally posted by ORJ_JoS:
^ They want everyone to go for Kinect. Ugh.

MS should bundle a kinect with every Win8 License purchase.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2012-02-29, 6:53 AM #37
http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/29/2832640/windows-8-consumer-preview-pictures-video

[
quote] Microsoft has clearly taken steps to address some criticism over its Metro fullscreen approach for PC users, and its various gestures make it easy to navigate the operating system regardless of touch[/quote] [/COLOR]
2012-02-29, 7:04 AM #38
Yay it's out!

DOWNLOAD FASTER
2012-02-29, 8:04 AM #39
It's taking me longer to burn it on a DVD-RW than it did for me to download. Clearly we have reached the future.
2012-02-29, 9:48 AM #40
It's got an updated BSOD! :D
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.

↑ Up to the top!