Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → White House airing ads during superbowl...
White House airing ads during superbowl...
2004-01-18, 6:26 PM #1
http://www.mediachannel.org/views/dissector/affalert131.shtml

Ok, so the government is running anti-drug (or rather, anti-pot ads) during the superbowl, at no modest price of 4.5 million dollars!

WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY!!!!

4.5 million dollars! Think about how much money that is! the combined yearly income of like 100 families. All WASTED on two 30 second spots for anti pot ads.

The ads themselves? You've probably seen them...ridiculous in nature, hilarious to watch, completely false.

The newest ones ( they are past equating casual drug use with global terrorism funding) depict various situations where something bad happened due to pot smoking.

eg: a little kid sits on the curb. A voiceover says "thats ok...you can just tell your little brother you were too busy gettin stoned to pick him up"

and another...

a small child...like a toddler is seen playing around by the side of the pool, then falls in. A voice over says "Thats ok, you can just tell your parents you were too busy getting stoned to watch your little sister"

I mean, obviously these are completely ridiculous and definitly would not discourage drug use...if anything kids will see this, laugh, and smoke away because the government has nothing worse to say then this crap.

4.5 million dollars down the drain...and that's just a fraction of the disgusting amount of money WASTED on the drug war every year.

In 2003, about 20 BILLION dollars was spent on the war on drugs...That's about 600 dollars a second.

We are less then 20 days into the year 2004 and they have already spent over 2 billion dollars.

Heres an interesting website:
http://www.drugsense.org/wodclock.htm

[This message has been edited by Raoul Duke (edited January 18, 2004).]
2004-01-18, 6:29 PM #2
I once saw a commercial that was like "WEED HAS AS MUCH CANCER CAUSING STUFF IN IT AS 5 CIGGARETS!"...Isn't that bull crap or something? THose commercials suck. It doesn't stop people from doing drugs, a bullet to the head stops people from doing drugs.

------------------
Gondor has no pants.
Gondor needs no pants.
Someone wrote this over one of the urinals: "The joke isn't on the wall; it's in your hand." - BV
2004-01-18, 6:32 PM #3
I stand by my belief that if you want to scare kids from taking drugs, show videos of really really bad trips. That'll do the trick.

------------------
Come on, shake the Nub,..... you know you want to.
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2004-01-18, 6:33 PM #4
A joint has about 5 times the amount of tar as a cigarette. Sounds bad on TV or out the mouth of your local DARE counselor doesn't it?

Well tar is NOT the thing that causes cancer! Rather it is the radioactive material in cigarettes (hmm sounds pleasant)

"Cigarette companies will have you believing
anything just as long as you continue to buy their products. The
fact is, although insoluble tars are a contributing factor to the
lung cancer danger present in today's cigarettes, the real danger
is radioactivity. According to U.S. Surgeon General C. Everette
Koop (on national television, 1990) radioactivity, not tar,
accounts for at least 90% of all smoking related lung cancer.
Tobacco crops grown in the United States are fertilized by law
with phosphates rich in radium 226. In addition, many soils have
a natural radium 226 content. Radium 226 breaks down into two long
lived 'daughter' elements -- lead 210 and polonium 210. These
radioactive particles become airborne, and attach themselves to the
fine hairs on tobacco leaves."
2004-01-18, 6:40 PM #5
They could just nuke Columbia, and Mexico. IIRC they're the main places it usually comes from.

Even if it doesn't stop the flow all that much, it should be fun to watch nonetheless eh?

------------------
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2004-01-18, 6:50 PM #6
Eh... cigarettes, marijuana... I generally avoid lighting *anything* on fire and inhaling the fumes. Whether is has radioactive tar is irrelevant.
2004-01-18, 6:56 PM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jedigreedo:
They could just nuke Columbia, and Mexico. IIRC they're the main places it usually comes from.

Even if it doesn't stop the flow all that much, it should be fun to watch nonetheless eh?

</font>

No, most weed comes from Canada I think...Most cocaine comes from columbia though.

And to Masq I'll say too things: To each his own, and don't knock it til youve tried it [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

2004-01-18, 6:59 PM #8
Marijuana has approximately 4 times as many carcinogenic chemicals as cigarettes do. Were a marijuana user to smoke as much as a cigarette user, they would be at a much higher risk of getting cancer, as marijuana has a higher concentration of carcinogens and marijuana users typically breathe in more smoke and hold in their lungs for longer durations of time. However, since most marijuana users do not smoke as regularly as cigarette smokers, the chance for getting cancer from a marijuana cigarette is typically the same.

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
NMGOH || Jack Chick preaches it || The Link of the Dead
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-01-18, 7:07 PM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wolfy:
Marijuana has approximately 4 times as many carcinogenic chemicals as cigarettes do. Were a marijuana user to smoke as much as a cigarette user, they would be at a much higher risk of getting cancer, as marijuana has a higher concentration of carcinogens and marijuana users typically breathe in more smoke and hold in their lungs for longer durations of time. However, since most marijuana users do not smoke as regularly as cigarette smokers, the chance for getting cancer from a marijuana cigarette is typically the same.

</font>

Did you even read what I quoted? Radioactivity in tabacco crops causes 90%cancer... not carginogens. If the radioactivity in cigarettes causes 90% of cancer, and marijuana has no radioactivity in it, then how the **** are the chances of getting cancer the same?

also one of the many medicinal properties of cannabis is its ability to shrink tumors (to a degree of course, I'm not talking cure here). You are severely unlikely to
get cancer from smoking marijuana.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Source: victoria.indymedia.org

Pot Shrinks Tumors; Government Knew in ‘74

by Raymond Cushing • Tuesday July 22, 2003 at 07:07 PM

In 1974 researchers at the Medical College of Virginia, who had been funded by the National Institute of Health to find evidence that marijuana damages the immune system, found instead that THC slowed the growth of three kinds of cancer in mice -- lung and breast cancer, and a virus-induced leukemia.

Raymond Cushing -- as reported by Jon Roland, wrote the article, “Pot Shrinks Tumors; Government Knew in ‘74,” provided herein as received.

The term medical marijuana took on dramatic new meaning in February when researchers in Madrid announced they had destroyed incurable brain cancer tumors in rats by injecting them with THC, the active ingredient in cannabis. The Madrid study marks only the second time that THC has been administered to tumor-bearing animals; the first was a Virginia investigation 26 years ago. In both studies, the THC shrank or destroyed tumors in a majority of the test subjects. Most Americans don’t know anything about the Madrid discovery. Virtually no U.S. newspapers carried the story, which ran only once on the AP and UPI news wires, on February 29, 2000.

The ominous part is that this isn’t the first time scientists have discovered that THC shrinks tumors. In 1974 researchers at the Medical College of Virginia, who had been funded by the National Institute of Health to find evidence that marijuana damages the immune system, found instead that THC slowed the growth of three kinds of cancer in mice -- lung and breast cancer, and a virus-induced leukemia.

The DEA quickly shut down the Virginia study and all further cannabis/tumor research, according to Jack Herer, who reports on the events in his book, The Emperor Wears No Clothes. In 1976 President Gerald Ford put an end to all public cannabis research and granted exclusive research rights to major pharmaceutical companies , who set out -- unsuccessfully -- to develop synthetic forms of THC that would deliver all the medical benefits without the “high.”

The Madrid researchers reported in the March issue of Nature Medicine that they injected the brains of 45 rats with cancer cells, producing tumors whose presence they confirmed through magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). On the 12th day they injected 15 of the rats with THC and 15 with Win-55,212-2 a synthetic compound similar to THC.

“All the rats left untreated uniformly died 12-18 days after glioma (brain cancer) cell inoculation... Cannabinoid (THC)-treated rats survived significantly longer than control rats. THC administration was ineffective in three rats, which died by days 16-18. Nine of the THC-treated rats surpassed the time of death of untreated rats, and survived up to 19-35 days. Moreover, the tumor was completely eradicated in three of the treated rats.” The rats treated with Win-55,212-2 showed similar results.

The Spanish researchers, led by Dr. Manuel Guzman of Complutense University, also irrigated healthy rats’ brains with large doses of THC for seven days, to test for harmful biochemical or neurological effects. They found none.

“Careful MRI analysis of all those tumor-free rats showed no sign of damage related to necrosis, edema, infection or trauma... We also examined other potential side effects of cannabinoid administration. In both tumor-free and tumor-bearing rats, cannabinoid administration induced no substantial change in behavioral parameters such as motor coordination or physical activity. Food and water intake as well as body weight gain were unaffected during and after cannabinoid delivery. Likewise, the general hematological profiles of cannabinoid-treated rats were normal. Thus, neither biochemical parameters nor markers of tissue damage changed substantially during the 7-day delivery period or for at least 2 months after cannabinoid treatment ended.”

Guzman’s investigation is the only time since the 1974 Virginia study that THC has been administered to live tumor-bearing animals. (The Spanish researchers cite a 1998 study in which cannabinoids inhibited breast cancer cell proliferation, but that was a “petri dish” experiment that didn’t involve live subjects.)

In an email interview for this story, the Madrid researcher said he had heard of the Virginia study, but had never been able to locate literature on it. Hence, the Nature Medicine article characterizes the new study as the first on tumor-laden animals and doesn’t cite the 1974 Virginia investigation. “I am aware of the existence of that research. In fact I have attempted many times to obtain the journal article on the original investigation by these people, but it has proven impossible.” Guzman said.

In 1983 the Reagan/Bush Administration tried to persuade American universities and researchers to destroy all 1966-76 cannabis research work, including compendiums in libraries, reports Jack Herer, who states, “We know that large amounts of information have since disappeared.” Guzman provided the title of his work -- “Antineoplastic activity of cannabinoids”, an article in a 1975 Journal of the National Cancer Institute -- and this writer obtained a copy at the UC medical school library in Davis and faxed it to Madrid.

The summary of the Virginia study begins, “Lewis lung adenocarcinoma growth was retarded by the oral administration of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabinol (CBN)” -- two types of cannabinoids, a family of active components in marijuana. “Mice treated for 20 consecutive days with THC and CBN had reduced primary tumor size.” The 1975 journal article doesn’t mention breast cancer tumors, which featured in the only newspaper story ever to appear about the 1974 study -- in the Local section of the Washington Post on August 18, 1974. Under the headline, “Cancer Curb Is Studied,” it read in part:

“The active chemical agent in marijuana curbs the growth of three kinds of cancer in mice and may also suppress the immunity reaction that causes rejection of organ transplants, a Medical College of Virginia team has discovered.” The researchers “found that THC slowed the growth of lung cancers, breast cancers and a virus-induced leukemia in laboratory mice, and prolonged their lives by as much as 36 percent.” Guzman, writing from Madrid, was eloquent in his response after this writer faxed him the clipping from the Washington Post of a quarter century ago. In translation, he wrote:

“It is extremely interesting to me, the hope that the project seemed to awaken at that moment, and the sad evolution (lastimosa evolution) of events during the years following the discovery, until now we once again ‘draw back the veil’ over the anti-tumoral power of THC, twenty-five years later. Unfortunately, the world bumps along between such moments of hope and long periods of intellectual castration.”

News coverage of the Madrid discovery has been virtually nonexistent in this country. The news broke quietly on February 29 [2000] with a story that ran once on the UPI wire about the Nature Medicine article. This writer stumbled on it through a link that appeared briefly on the Drudge Report web page. The New York Times, Washington Post and Los Angeles Times all ignored the story, even though its newsworthiness is indisputable: a benign substance occurring in nature destroys deadly brain tumors."
</font>

I bolded the interesting parts.

also I didn't mean this to be a marijuana debate. It's about the governments careless money wasting on the war on drugs, not marijuana health issues.

2004-01-18, 7:21 PM #10
That's capitalism, baby!

------------------
MadQuack on Military school: Pro's: I get to shoot a gun. Con's: Everything else.
"I'm going to beat you until the laws of physics are violated!!" ! Maeve's Warcry

RIP -MaDaVentor-. You will be missed.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-01-18, 7:23 PM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jedigreedo:

</font>

Actually, I remember reading in recent years the leading producer (and consumer) of marijuana has been the US.

Yay, let's nuke the US.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-01-18, 7:32 PM #12
Oh geez not another "omg legalize!!11" fanatic. When will the world learn that DRUGS ARE BAD!

------------------
<scribbly handwriting barely resembling name>
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-01-18, 7:33 PM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gandalf1120:
Oh geez not another "omg legalize!!11" fanatic. When will the world learn that DRUGS ARE BAD!

</font>

*sniff*

*sniff*

smells like rabid ignorance.
2004-01-18, 7:36 PM #14
I think we was being sarcastic, Raoul. At least I hope he was [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-01-18, 7:36 PM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Spork:
I think we was being sarcastic, Raoul. At least I hope he was [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

</font>

I honestly doubt it. There are so many people with this exact viewpoint.
2004-01-18, 7:45 PM #16
California has a multi-billion dollar marijuana indusrty. It's pretty hardcore, especailly in the very norhtern part of the state.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-01-18, 7:54 PM #17
Nope. No sarcasm. I hate tobacco, marajuana, cocaine, LSD, PCP, whatever, with a fiery passion.

Drugs. Are. Bad. Many people subscribe to the notion of just letting them get stoned so long as they don't hurt others. Well that's a VERY difficult thing to do. In the long run other people do get hurt. Don't tell me otherwise. I have family and friends and to back up my claims. It sends families into chaos. One instance directly affected me. Not to mention the addict will draw upon various resources to feed their addiction. This usual means squandering away life-savings or criminal activity. It happens.

------------------
<scribbly handwriting barely resembling name>
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-01-18, 8:05 PM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Raoul Duke:
Radioactivity in tabacco crops causes 90%cancer... not carginogens.</font>

Excuse me as I chuckle.

------------------
Roach - Steal acceptance, lend denial.

0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-01-18, 8:11 PM #19
Lol what are you laughing about? I got a 404.
2004-01-18, 8:14 PM #20
Then somethings wrong on your end, because the page loads for me. Anyway, the point is that a carcinogen is a substance that cuases cancer. Thus, your "radioactive materials" are, by definition, carcinogens.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

[This message has been edited by Avenger (edited January 18, 2004).]
Pissed Off?
2004-01-18, 8:17 PM #21
Thank you, Avenger.

------------------

0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-01-18, 8:27 PM #22
Ok, then I since I have backed up my claims, perhaps Wolfy can prove that joints have 4 times the cancer causing stuff then cigs, because as far as I can see thats completely false. it is 4 times the tar, but not 4 times the radioactive material, chemicals, etc.
2004-01-18, 8:44 PM #23
Don't you read son?

------------------
Gondor has no pants.
Gondor needs no pants.
Someone wrote this over one of the urinals: "The joke isn't on the wall; it's in your hand." - BV
2004-01-18, 9:08 PM #24
*sigh*

I didn't extrapolate on my previous post so that I wouldn't derail the thread at your request. That, and I get oh-so tired of explaining, over and over, and debunking evidence that marijuana is not harmful in any shape or form. But since you insist...

http://www.gwu.edu/~cade/marijuana.html

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Marijuana vs. Tobacco
It's true that both marijuana and tobacco contain toxic chemicals such as tar, carbon monoxide, and cyanide. But marijuana smoke has more cancer-causing chemicals than tobacco. As stated before, it contains more than 400 harmful chemicals, which includes cancer-causing carcinogens. Marijuana smoke contains some of the same carcinogens and toxic chemicals as tobacco, but in higher concentrations. The amount of marijuana smoke inhaled per puff is two thirds larger than a typical puff of a tobacco cigarette. The reason behind this is that marijuana is smoked differently than tobacco. Marijuana smoke is inhaled deeper into the lungs, and is held there up to four times as long. These long drags force the rapid absorption THC by the lungs, the active ingredient in marijuana. As a result, the toxic chemicals in marijuana smoke can do much more damage to the lungs than cigarette smoke.</font>

http://www.tnclearinghouse.com/factsheets/PotFacts.htm

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Þ Recent research indicates that marijuana may play an important role in respiratory tract cancer. The tar phase of marijuana smoke contains 50 percent more of some carcinogenic agents that tobacco smoke.

Þ One marijuana cigarette deposits four times as much tar in the lungs as one tobacco cigarette, which amplifies the exposure of the lungs to carcinogens.</font>

http://www.nida.nih.gov/Infofax/marijuana.html

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Even infrequent use can cause burning and stinging of the mouth and throat, often accompanied by a heavy cough. Someone who smokes marijuana regularly may have many of the same respiratory problems that tobacco smokers do, such as daily cough and phlegm production, more frequent acute chest illness, a heightened risk of lung infections, and a greater tendency to obstructed airways(10).</font>

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Cancer of the respiratory tract and lungs may also be promoted by marijuana smoke(11). A study comparing 173 cancer patients and 176 healthy individuals produced strong evidence that smoking marijuana increases the likelihood of developing cancer of the head or neck, and the more marijuana smoked the greater the increase(12). A statistical analysis of the data suggested that marijuana smoking doubled or tripled the risk of these cancers.</font>

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Marijuana use has the potential to promote cancer of the lungs and other parts of the respiratory tract because it contains irritants and carcinogens(13). In fact, marijuana smoke contains 50 to 70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than does tobacco smoke(14). It also produces high levels of an enzyme that converts certain hydrocarbons into their carcinogenic form—levels that may accelerate the changes that ultimately produce malignant cells(15). Marijuana users usually inhale more deeply and hold their breath longer than tobacco smokers do, which increases the lungs’ exposure to carcinogenic smoke. These facts suggest that, puff for puff, smoking marijuana may increase the risk of cancer more than smoking tobacco.</font>

http://www.wctu.org/marijuana_-_cancer.html

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">One joint deposits four times as much cancer-causing tars in the smoker's airways as does tobacco smoke. Smoking three to five joints a week is equal in harmful effects to smoking 16 cigarettes daily. Smoking one joint a day is equal to a pack of cigarettes daily. Three joints smoked per week for three to six months carries the same probability of developing lung cancer as smoking a pack of cigarettes daily for 20 to 30 years.</font>

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Because the pot smoker tends to breathe in the smoke more deeply and hold it longer than the tobacco user, greater harm is done to the lungs. Five times as much carbon monoxide (associated with coronary diseases) is inhaled in marijuana smoke as in tobacco smoke.</font>

Now, I'm pretty sure I've posted similar material such as this in a previous thread, but you and people like you deigned to ignore what I had posted in favor of simply believing what you wish. I'm hoping you'll do me the service of actually reading what I post this time.

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"

[This message has been edited by Wolfy (edited January 19, 2004).]
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-01-18, 9:15 PM #25
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">4.5 million dollars down the drain...and that's just a fraction of the disgusting amount of money WASTED on the drug war every year.

In 2003, about 20 BILLION dollars was spent on the war on drugs...That's about 600 dollars a second.

We are less then 20 days into the year 2004 and they have already spent over 2 billion dollars.</font>

What's your point? I mean, really.. what do you expect them to do? Just stop enforcing drug laws? Where do they draw the line? heroin? LSD? WHERE? Why not just disband the entire police force? After all, it costs too much!

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-01-18, 9:22 PM #26
Yeah, and it's not like crimes have stopped occuring just because police forces were created. It's all a waste of money.

------------------

0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-01-18, 9:23 PM #27
All we need to do is kill the Mandarin...

------------------
2004-01-18, 9:36 PM #28
If we legalise murder crime will go way down!

Marijuana stinks and it turns its users into frothing idiots who suffer from severe personality swings. Plus they're really boring when they're on it. Did I mention it stinks? Christ, it's awful.

Saying it's better than tobacco is like saying a punch in the groin is better than having your face repeatedly beaten with an exercise bike; neither is a particularly beneficial endeavour.
2004-01-18, 11:24 PM #29
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Matthew Pate:
If we legalise murder crime will go way down!

Marijuana stinks and it turns its users into frothing idiots who suffer from severe personality swings. Plus they're really boring when they're on it. Did I mention it stinks? Christ, it's awful.

Saying it's better than tobacco is like saying a punch in the groin is better than having your face repeatedly beaten with an exercise bike; neither is a particularly beneficial endeavour.
</font>

Here here. My sister has become a hardcore marijuana user, and has since all but dropped out of school. Her attention span is staggeringly small. She can't even sit and watch a 90 minute movie without leaving the room literally 7 times to find something else to do. She is a failure as a human being.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Ok, so the government is running anti-drug (or rather, anti-pot ads) during the superbowl, at no modest price of 4.5 million dollars!

WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY!!!!
</font>

4.5 million dollars! WOW SIR! Imagine how much pot that could buy you!

------------------
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Darth J (edited January 19, 2004).]
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
A community dedicated to discussing all things entertainment.
2004-01-19, 12:11 AM #30
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Freelancer:
What's your point? I mean, really.. what do you expect them to do? Just stop enforcing drug laws? Where do they draw the line? heroin? LSD? WHERE? Why not just disband the entire police force? After all, it costs too much!

</font>

Yeah, I think the point here is that the administration is to be seen as at leasting attempting to combat drug use. Any political platform with the stance "drug use prevention programs dont work and they cost too much anyways" will most likely not go over well with many parents and middle-aged voters, who probably make up the primary campaign targets.

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
-------------@%

DSettahr's Homepage
2004-01-19, 2:47 AM #31
Some peacekeeping forces in Afghanistan have to protect local warlords and their Opium Poppy fields so that they don't side with the larger warlords loyal to the Taliban remnant.

Kind of sad having to resort to such double-standards.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">[On Afghanistan] World's largest producer of opium; cultivation of opium poppy - used to make heroin - expanded to 30,750 hectares in 2002, despite eradication; potential opium production of 1,278 metric tons; source of hashish; many narcotics-processing labs throughout the country; drug trade source of instability and some government groups profit from the trade; 80-90% of the heroin consumed in Europe comes from Afghan opium; vulnerable to narcotics money laundering through the hawala system

-CIA World Factbook </font>
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2004-01-19, 2:48 AM #32
~walks in~

Right. More Biased bullcrap

~walks out~

------------------
* Seb goes around singing "I'm too sexy for my body"
* Wolfy goes around singing "I'm too sexy for Seb's body"
* Cave_Demon steals Seb's underwear (underwear stolen: 39)
"NAILFACE" - spe
2004-01-19, 3:22 AM #33
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Ok, so the government is running anti-drug (or rather, anti-pot ads) during the superbowl, at no modest price of 4.5 million dollars!</font>

If it saves only 1 life I think it would be worth 4.5 Million dollars.

------------------
I munch C code for breakfast and have enough room left over for a kernel debugging.
Free your mind, use Open Source.
2004-01-19, 3:39 AM #34
Then what about the thousands of families in the Apalachean mountains, or in other hunger stricken areas who can't afford food and will likely die of malnutrition, each family being able to be fed with a meager $12,000-14,0000... Thats alot of families. 1 person with 4.5 million, or thousands of people?

I hate the system

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-01-19, 3:43 AM #35
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Here here. My sister has become a hardcore marijuana user, and has since all but dropped out of school. Her attention span is staggeringly small. She can't even sit and watch a 90 minute movie without leaving the room literally 7 times to find something else to do. She is a failure as a human being.</font>

I think that's just a particular instance, most hardcore stoners I know have no problems watching a movie.

Hell, a couple of my mates once had a willy-wonka-athon, they watched "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" once a day for ELEVEN DAYS STRAIGHT.

I watched it 3 times during this period.

and Gandalf1120, I think that's based on personal experience again, a couple of my friends and one of my relatives are ex-heroin junkies, they all lead relatively normal lives. When you've seen someone REALLY screwed up on half a dozen drugs, hearing people say "my friend smoked a joint, he is doomed! DOOMED!" seems a bit of an over-reaction.

And why do they always use joints in these studies?... I don't know about the US, but most people over here use buckets/bongs.

I've heard hash and vaporizers reduce the amount of "crap" you get in your lungs, but that's just what I've heard from mates, not scientific evidence... Anyone know anything about that?
2004-01-19, 4:00 AM #36
It's apparent that most of you that have objections all smoke pot. I do beleive though that the government has better things to spend their money on than 30 min commercials for 4.5 million. Things like trying to pay off the 6 trillion dollars we are in debt with in the U.S.

------------------
Madquack and Firbnic have a signature.
*Remnant Temple beta almost done*
Light And Darkness
I was just petting the bunny, and it went into the soup can, and part of my hand went with it. - Red vs Blue
2004-01-19, 4:21 AM #37
4.5 million is only 0.000075% of 6 trillion.

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
-------------@%

DSettahr's Homepage
2004-01-19, 4:38 AM #38
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GHORG:
Quote:
And why do they always use joints in these studies?... I don't know about the US, but most people over here use buckets/bongs.

I've heard hash and vaporizers reduce the amount of "crap" you get in your lungs, but that's just what I've heard from mates, not scientific evidence... Anyone know anything about that?
</font>

Yeah, bongs filter some of the carcinogens by passing the smoke through water. Rather minimal filtering though, might as well smoke through a screen door. The main advantage of bongs is that they cool the smoke, making it easier to inhale.

I guess they use joints cos they're lazy, rolling a spliff is much easier than cutting up a Coke bottle [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-01-19, 4:48 AM #39
biggest cancer risk in smoking Joints is the unfiltered tobbacco.

[edit]matthew pate, people are only boring when they're high, because they've got better things to do than waste their time talking to people[/edit]

------------------
mmm, smells like something burning.

[This message has been edited by Septic Yogurt (edited January 19, 2004).]
2004-01-19, 5:02 AM #40
Bottom line, it isn't healthy in any way to use anything to escape reality. Cancer or not, it leads to several problems regarding the corrosion of personal responsibility.

------------------
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....

↑ Up to the top!