Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → ...so apparently we're not quite over this yet.
...so apparently we're not quite over this yet.
2004-01-22, 4:23 PM #1
http://forums.massassi.net/html/Forum1/HTML/032621.html

Can we *please* stop closing threads because some mod or admin thinks they're "pointless"? Please?

I can't think of a single reason that would have warranted closing "Penguin Bashing". It was pointless and stupid? Fine (though I don't agree), so are all the debates we go through, and the entire religious discussion forum. There was already another thread about it? Too late, the discussion had moved on to something else.

And yeah, this is a community issue, so I've started a thread instead of an email.

------------------
Shut up. I'm GOING to do this whether you like it or not.

[This message has been edited by Tracer (edited January 22, 2004).]
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-01-22, 4:26 PM #2
It was quite pointless actually. I didn't realize there was another thread on the same game, no point really in have two threads about the same exact thing.

------------------
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2004-01-22, 4:26 PM #3
We already had a thread based on penguine bashing. Don't diss the massassi KINGS, it encourages them.

------------------
Gondor has no pants.
Gondor needs no pants.
Someone wrote this over one of the urinals: "The joke isn't on the wall; it's in your hand." - BV
2004-01-22, 4:29 PM #4
Oops, didn't noticed you had said that bit.

------------------
2004-01-22, 4:29 PM #5
Like I said, the discussion had moved on to something relevant.

------------------
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-01-22, 4:44 PM #6
i hate to be mini-mod but you really should take this up with the staff via email or IM.

------------------
i thought about this being the anti-sig... or the sig virus... or the sig of your nightmares... but i decided that some painful rhetoric might work instead...
just kidding. ;)
"*quickly adds in disclaimer that Is may still yet end up being slapped with a white glove, as all women are crazy and there are no rules*" --mavispoo
2004-01-22, 4:47 PM #7
Well, I, for one, like my threads with well-defined points.

------------------
Archimedes: Pseudo-intellectual since 1986
www.retronetworks.com
2004-01-22, 4:51 PM #8
So, a thread called "Penguin Bashing" and your post "573" actually has a point?

------------------
Official Staff of Massassi Temple:
-Chat Op
-Level Poster
-Forum Admin
-Level Comments Admin
-EC Admin

Moral to the Story: Don't Mess
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2004-01-22, 5:00 PM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Is_907:
i hate to be mini-mod but you really should take this up with the staff via email or IM.

</font>

I can't speak for the other admins, but I see no problem with a thread which broadly discusses admining issues. Simple "Why was my post deleted/closed?" questions I agree should be kept to email but I think this is more a question of POLICY rather than the reasons behind a single thread's closure.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1 & 2 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-01-22, 5:02 PM #10
Tracer: http://forums.massassi.net/html/Forum1/HTML/032624.html

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

[This message has been edited by Avenger (edited January 22, 2004).]
Pissed Off?
2004-01-22, 9:28 PM #11
Avenger: Don't see what that has to do with my topic. Maybe I missed something...

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mscbuck:
So, a thread called "Penguin Bashing" and your post "573" actually has a point?

</font>

Argh! Look, you're not the relevancy police okay? There's no rule that says "all threads must have a point as arbitrarily determined by an administrator," and even if there was, like I said before, thanks for reading my original post, the discussion had actually moved on to something worth pursuing.

It's not hard -the next time you decide to close or delete something, check to make sure it actually violates the rules.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Tracer (edited January 23, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Tracer (edited January 23, 2004).]
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-01-22, 9:31 PM #12
That thread is all about people not being able to delete their own threads, which is what was being talked about at the end of the closed thread.

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-01-22, 9:32 PM #13
...yeah, but that's not the issue here.

------------------
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-01-22, 9:35 PM #14
Ok, then I'm failing to see your point. igotissues created that thread by mistake and then people went on to talk about him not being able to delete it. He even said to disregard the thread because he hit the wrong button. Also, it's the only closed thread I see right now. It's not as if every other thread is being closed by an admin because they can.

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-01-22, 9:44 PM #15
My point is that mscbuck closed a thread because he thought it was "pointless", and I don't think that should be allowed to happen.

------------------
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-01-22, 9:47 PM #16
From the creator of that thread in question:

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RotM_igotissues:
It was quite pointless actually. I didn't realize there was another thread on the same game, no point really in have two threads about the same exact thing.

</font>

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-01-22, 9:49 PM #17
Teehee, Is_907 said "mini-mod"...

Er, right. I'm not quite sure the thread Tracer linked is a real strong indication of admins being arbitrary with what they consider to be pointless threads, but that's my take. Sorry Tracer. Perhaps if there are or come any other incidents...

/shrug

------------------
Check out the following stories over at the Interactive Story Board:
The Never-ending Story Thread or visit the new webcomic version!
The Vision Cycle series
Featured Story: The Forgotten Relic
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2004-01-23, 1:41 AM #18
true, Jaiph... but i always hate someone bringing this stuff up in public because it easily turns into flame-fests.

and yes, I said 'mini-mod' [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
i thought about this being the anti-sig... or the sig virus... or the sig of your nightmares... but i decided that some painful rhetoric might work instead...
just kidding. ;)
"*quickly adds in disclaimer that Is may still yet end up being slapped with a white glove, as all women are crazy and there are no rules*" --mavispoo
2004-01-23, 1:43 AM #19
It all come down the the issue that whoever convinced the admins to lock the delete function should be dragged out into the street and shot... we need that delete thing or as I predicted it before there will be more spam and double posts... its just more work for the admins in the long run.

------------------
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Burrie|WatchingFromTheShadows holds up a skeleton's head. "= or !=. That is the statement."</font>
2004-01-23, 1:52 AM #20
::slowly approaches the podium and looks over Massassi::

::suddenly begins waving his fist about::

We must not question what the leadership does! Questioning the leadership is an attack on the state. : [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]oints at Tracer:: Criminal! Traitor to the Motherland!

But seriously, there have always been pointless threads on Massassi - that doesn't mean they should be closed, though.

------------------
Frightening the very small and very old since 1952.
Frightening the very small and very old since 1952.
2004-01-23, 2:01 AM #21
I say we rip the authorities down beat them with a stick and return our delete function to its former power.

------------------
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Burrie|WatchingFromTheShadows holds up a skeleton's head. "= or !=. That is the statement."</font>
2004-01-23, 2:51 AM #22
I don't care one way or the other about deleting my own posts - I just don't think an administrator should be allowed to close a thread for such a stupid reason (especially one that's not in the rules).

------------------
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-01-23, 3:57 AM #23
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tracer:
...and the entire religious discussion forum...
</font>

Haha, that made the thread worth it.

------------------
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
2004-01-23, 4:06 AM #24
Agreed.

------------------
Roach - Steal acceptance, lend denial.

0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-01-23, 4:17 AM #25
I understand where Tracer is coming from. Although it hasn't happened recently, many threads with valid discussions have been closed because they're "not relevant."

------------------
BV's rendition of Titanic: Let's have sex. I won't let go. I don't need this stone.
The End.
~ Wolfy
That painting was a gift, Todd. I'm taking it with me.
2004-01-23, 4:27 AM #26
Hey, at least you didn't get banned for participating in that thread.

Apparently the "general amnesty" doesn't apply if your name is Pugler.

If anyone can tell me what in the following linked thread broke the rules, please do so. I don't have much confidence in that though, seeing as the best explanation I've heard so far for why "Yoda's House" was removed was "IT WAS SILLY!".

http://forums.massassi.net/html/Forum1/HTML/031896.html
2004-01-23, 5:01 AM #27
GHORG: Pugler is a known offender. 'nuff said.

yes Riv, everyone should know the religious forum is a wildcard to most rules here [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif] hehe

------------------
just kidding. ;)
2004-01-23, 5:12 AM #28
No, not 'nuff said

Every ban was lifted, he didn't do anything banworthy in that thread

------------------
Of war, we don't speak anymore
2004-01-23, 5:56 AM #29
I think Buck's sig says it all. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Official Staff of Massassi Temple:
-Chat Op
-Level Poster
-Forum Admin
-Level Comments Admin
-EC Admin

Moral to the Story: Don't Mess</font>

------------------
BV's rendition of Titanic: Let's have sex. I won't let go. I don't need this stone.
The End.
~ Wolfy
2004-01-23, 6:04 AM #30
When will you people learn? Democracy doesnt work! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-01-23, 6:04 AM #31
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BV:
I think Buck's sig says it all. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

</font>

Maybe Buck's sig is getting to his head? I saw we FIRE all the admin/ops..revalute how many of them are actually good at what they do, and hire back the ones that can do the job right with NO bias. At this current out of ops/admins...we have about 5-6 people who cant actually do the job well..the others just...aren't good.

------------------
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-01-23, 6:13 AM #32
Careful! You say anything more and someone will dispose of you.

------------------
Quote:
2004-01-23, 6:28 AM #33
buck's sig is too long. Since we finally managed to get alpha1 to shorten his sig, it's only fair that buck does the same.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2004-01-23, 6:36 AM #34
Not only is it long, but it flaunts his power so blatantly. I mean, every line is even bolded.

------------------
The End.
~ Wolfy
2004-01-23, 6:56 AM #35
Ubuu: heh, perhaps we should just get rid of the ones that don't work and add more... but really, i have no problems with any of the admins/mods right now.

we just need one more chat op for the 8-12am CST slot!

------------------
just kidding. ;)
2004-01-23, 7:15 AM #36
I really think this is going a bit too far.. Though I don't personally agree with disabling the deletion function, I can see why they (admins) think it's a good idea, and from their perspective, it is, so I'll uphold that decision.

I really think we need to stop being so rebellious here... I mean, overthrow the Admins? Replace them with unbiased ones? Newsflash: Everyone is biased about everything.

------------------
MadQuack on Military school: Pro's: I get to shoot a gun. Con's: Everything else.
"I'm going to beat you until the laws of physics are violated!!" ! Maeve's Warcry

RIP -MaDaVentor-. You will be missed.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-01-23, 7:23 AM #37
First off, changed the sig. Hope you all are happy.

Secondly, along with a mocking power theme, no one ever knew what I exactly did, so I put that in there to clarify what position I was here on the staff.

Thirdly, Tracer, the post I closed didn't have a point. You mean, you want people to just post random things and flood the forums? It's called "trolling". Sure, it turned into a relative discussion, but, there is already another thread discussing the issue. If you have a problem, discuss why the "deleting post feature" was gone there.

And Ubuu, little do you know what the ops and admins truly think of most of the people on the forums. Apparently, if you're going to look for someone unbiased, then no admins or ops will be left. HUMAN NATURE IS THAT EVERYONE IS BIASED. You can't find someone that is moderate, and is not biased. You're mad because I banned you for being a jerk and notice flooding Kirby. I can quote you in saying "I'm an A**", referring to yourself of course. So, why should we all listen to you?

------------------
Only To Keep The Public Happy

[This message has been edited by mscbuck (edited January 23, 2004).]
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2004-01-23, 7:34 AM #38
Thanks, buck. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
The End.
~ Wolfy
2004-01-23, 7:39 AM #39
Oh brother [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

------------------
Quote:
2004-01-23, 7:53 AM #40
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GHORG:
Hey, at least you didn't get banned for participating in that thread.

Apparently the "general amnesty" doesn't apply if your name is Pugler.

If anyone can tell me what in the following linked thread broke the rules, please do so. I don't have much confidence in that though, seeing as the best explanation I've heard so far for why "Yoda's House" was removed was "IT WAS SILLY!".

http://forums.massassi.net/html/Forum1/HTML/031896.html
</font>

Nor should it. If you had half an inkling of why Pugler was banned in the first place, you wouldn't even have brought it up.

------------------
Pissed Off?

↑ Up to the top!