Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → ...so apparently we're not quite over this yet.
...so apparently we're not quite over this yet.
2004-01-23, 8:07 AM #41
buck's sig was too long? lies. I liked it before.

Everyone has strayed from the one true god and now society is in dishevel. Only by throwing yourself upon the the mercy of the great Holy Brian shall order be restored.

------------------
I am the god of dating! You will respect my authoritah!

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless made or kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." - John Stuart Mill

[This message has been edited by Kieran Horn (edited January 23, 2004).]
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-01-23, 8:27 AM #42
Sure there is a bias..but your job is to be almost like a jury and try your best to throw that **** aside. HALF OF YOU DO NOT. Yea, maybe this is a little personal, but it is what i have witnessed and it needs to change. Seriously.

I could name the 5-7 that do a job well done and no one would tell me to add someone else

------------------
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03

[This message has been edited by Ubuu (edited January 23, 2004).]

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-01-23, 8:47 AM #43
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Avenger:
Nor should it. If you had half an inkling of why Pugler was banned in the first place, you wouldn't even have brought it up.

</font>

Pugler is like a boil on your butt... no clue how it got there you just want it gone and fast.

------------------
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Burrie|WatchingFromTheShadows holds up a skeleton's head. "= or !=. That is the statement."</font>
2004-01-23, 8:58 AM #44
If I recall correctly the whole Pugler thing started with someone refusing to post one of his maps. I'm perfectly aware that the map was intented to be a joke, but there have been dozens of joke maps that have been posted, Pugler got different treatment for some reason.

Of course, I don't excuse his subsequent actions, i'm just saying that *we* started it.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2004-01-23, 9:01 AM #45
He might have been treated unfairly but thats no reason to spam the flippen forums with that bear crap!

------------------
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Burrie|WatchingFromTheShadows holds up a skeleton's head. "= or !=. That is the statement."</font>
2004-01-23, 9:02 AM #46
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DeTRiTiC-iQ:
If I recall correctly the whole Pugler thing started with someone refusing to post one of his maps. I'm perfectly aware that the map was intented to be a joke, but there have been dozens of joke maps that have been posted, Pugler got different treatment for some reason.

Of course, I don't excuse his subsequent actions, i'm just saying that *we* started it.
</font>

Isnt that *gasp* BIAS.

------------------

10/7/85 - 12/9/03

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-01-23, 9:13 AM #47
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ubuu:
Isnt that *gasp* BIAS.

</font>

Haha, now this is making the thread worth it. Someone insult someone else's mom!

------------------
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."

[This message has been edited by R_ivi_N (edited January 23, 2004).]
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
2004-01-23, 9:15 AM #48
RiViN, yo momma wuz so damn goo last nite. She off da hook man. She got dat fiyah!

------------------

10/7/85 - 12/9/03

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-01-23, 9:56 AM #49
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Thirdly, Tracer, the post I closed didn't have a point. It's called "trolling"
</font>

No! No, no, no. You *cannot* close a thread just because you think it "didn't have a point." Trolling is when people generally go looking for trouble (that's just a Massassi working definition, I'll kill anybody who busts out dictionary.com on me). That post wasn't trolling.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">You mean, you want people to just post random things and flood the forums?</font>

This exact argument was thrown at me the last time I complained about the random closings/deletions, and it still makes no sense. Look, has that ever happened at Massassi before? Of course not. So there's no reason to get all excited about it. "Oh no, the forums are going to be flooded with useless gook if we don't do something!" [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

"Pointless" is way to vague a term to use a justification for closing threads. Offensive? Okay. Already three other threads on the same topic? Sure. Pointless post? Um, no. You can't even begin to define what a pointless thread would be, so there's absolutely no way you should be allowed to close one.

And finally, the number one reason why "pointless" threads shouldn't be closed or deleted: it's not in the rules. You know, the rules that we all agreed to when we signed up? Yeah.

In the same way that everybody agreed to abide the Massassi's rules or get moderated, the staff agreed to enforce those rules, and only those rules that were posted on the registrations page. I'm not saying that the rules can never change, because obviously they have to at times, but Massassi is a community; people often say stuff like "America may be a free country, but Massassi isn't!" and that's just not true. A community only works if everybody acts responsibly.

*sigh* I don't care about signatures or whatever else people decided to start raving about, I just want stupid thread closings to stop.

------------------
Shut up. I'm GOING to do this whether you like it or not.

[This message has been edited by Tracer (edited January 23, 2004).]

COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-01-23, 9:59 AM #50
Yes, ONE THREAD closing is certainly an epidemic. It must be stopped, the admins and mods have gone mad with power. What are we to do?

------------------
Come on, shake the Nub,..... you know you want to.
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2004-01-23, 10:05 AM #51
Nubs, ... It's not like it hasnt happened before. Tracer is just calling attention to it.

And buck, I liked your little 'if only you knew what the admins really thought' it struck fear in my heart.

------------------
please
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-01-23, 10:07 AM #52
You have no heart, don't pretend like you do.

------------------
Roach - Steal acceptance, lend denial.

0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-01-23, 10:14 AM #53
Tracer, when the person who created the thread says it is pointless, I don't think it's a problem for the admins to close it. In this case, the person who posted the thread said it was pointless and was completely fine with the thread being closed. No one else is having any problem with this.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-01-23, 10:19 AM #54
Yes, thanks Avenger, you've stated your position several times already. And if you'd read the whole thread, you'd see that I'm actually not the only one who has a problem with this.

------------------

COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-01-23, 10:20 AM #55
I've had bad experiences with Admins and Mods, and Ops, doing bad things because I am annoying...yeah I am annoying...but banning me? WTF? Some Admins and Mods and Ops are really nice and good working, while others are power hungry ignorant pigs that use their powers for nothing more then getting back at people....get used to it. it's like politics. A peon can't stop a man with power..I gave up trying to get justice a while ago. Do the same, trying to be fair only gets you in trouble.

------------------
Gondor has no pants.
Gondor needs no pants.

[This message has been edited by Rod-Nog (edited January 23, 2004).]
Someone wrote this over one of the urinals: "The joke isn't on the wall; it's in your hand." - BV
2004-01-23, 10:21 AM #56
Oh no, look what I've done!

------------------
"Honey, you got real ugly."
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2004-01-23, 10:21 AM #57
You see this is why threads get closed nobody reads the damn thing because everyone is just to busy trying to get the last word in the whole purpose of the thread is lost.

------------------
Quote:
2004-01-23, 10:22 AM #58
I agree with Tracer. If the thread is pointless, it'll die on it's own. If people talk in it (without violating rules, ie spamming and/or flamming, etc) then it clearly isn't pointless, now is it? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

At least, thats how it's supposed to work, in theory, anyway. Of course, Massassi is far from perfect, just like any other place on Earth, so... it doesn't always work out like that.

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?

[This message has been edited by Correction (edited January 23, 2004).]
2004-01-23, 10:22 AM #59
Then I guess you just have to accept that the admins are going to close some threads because they feel they are pointless and that you may not like it. It's far from abuse of power. It's not the end of the world.

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-01-23, 10:23 AM #60
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rod-Nog:
I've had bad experiences with Admins and Mods, and Ops, doing bad things because I am annoying...yeah I am annoying...but banning me? WTF? Some Admins and Mods and Ops are really nice and good working, while others are power hungry ignorant pigs that use their powers for nothing more then getting back at people....get used to it. it's like politics. A peon can't stop a man with power..I gave up trying to get justice a while ago. Do the same, trying to be fair only gets you in trouble.

</font>

Shocking that you got banned given what you just posted.

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-01-23, 10:29 AM #61
I didn't bash anyone specific, I did not use foul language, I simply posted a story and stated an opinion. It seems harsh but it's true. Some people are always going to be mean.. and I just don't think that the ops and admins should have special rules of there own, that they can get away with alot more then we can.

------------------
Gondor has no pants.
Gondor needs no pants.

[This message has been edited by Rod-Nog (edited January 23, 2004).]
Someone wrote this over one of the urinals: "The joke isn't on the wall; it's in your hand." - BV
2004-01-23, 10:35 AM #62
Still . . .

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-01-23, 11:08 AM #63
Bottom line...we dont have many good admins/ops!

------------------

10/7/85 - 12/9/03

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-01-23, 11:11 AM #64
I agree with Tracer. It seems like some of the moderators at HL2Central who just close stuff to up their statistics on the admin page and then say it was "pointless". Of course HL2C has serveral terrible terrible moderators that are lock-happy like you wouldn't believe, and I don't think there are moderator statistics here but that's besides the point...

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-01-23, 11:27 AM #65
Also expanding on this a little, I think it's unnecessary for threads that are barely in all caps to be closed. Like the CRY(RTCW:ET) thread. Oh no, all caps, he's yelling! But it would be okay if he put CRY(RtCW:ET). [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

------------------
2004-01-23, 11:29 AM #66
Um... that's not an issue Emon. It's already been agreed that acrnyms are fine.

------------------
2004-01-23, 11:30 AM #67
Cry isn't an acrnym [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
----@%
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-01-23, 11:31 AM #68
Cry isn't an acrnym [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
----@%
2004-01-23, 11:32 AM #69
Holy crap. My cable modem timed out when posting and posted my comment two times. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/confused.gif]

------------------
----@%
2004-01-23, 12:04 PM #70
Well, here goes nothing. I've been banned/shunned from many communities for critiquing admins/mods on their job, perhaps a bit prematurely, but right now, I could fairly give a damn less. Massassi is the one community I belong to that I'm starting to TRULY enjoy, and that gives me a place to just get away from it all. The admins have flaws. Many. Most notably are the ones who flaunt their power in a blatant, non-joking manner. That's not what admins are. Admins are those who stay as a regular member, and when someone screws up, they put them in line. After several screw ups, they boot them out. This is the generally accepted opinion right? Well here there are a few who act like Nazis. I agree with the statement about Pugler being banned; I never knew him but I didn't think another banning was neccesary. A bit obnoxious was he? Yes. A banworthy thingamajoob? No. And yes, I said thingamajoob. And all those mod-hugging brown-nosers who say "OMG THEY ARE MY GODS" well, grow up. Start looking at things objectively and realizing that sometimes, even though people are bestowed a power, they don't use it well. Is this post biased? Slightly. Think about it though, I'm only biasing it on the set state of rules. And the whole "Nobody Else had any other complaints about closing that thread" bit isn't true. Obviously others do, and they just didn't have a chance to express it. Ban/kick/delete this post if you will, but I feel like being heard.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-01-23, 1:07 PM #71
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Correction:
....If people talk in it (without violating rules, ie spamming and/or flamming, etc) then it clearly isn't pointless, now is it? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

</font>

The discussion that it turned into, turned out to be discussed on another thread. No need to start to separate threads for the same topic.

------------------
Only To Keep The Public Happy
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2004-01-23, 1:13 PM #72
That children is what we call a lie

------------------
Gondor has no pants.
Gondor needs no pants.
2004-01-23, 1:14 PM #73
What's a lie?

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-01-23, 1:26 PM #74
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
I never knew him but I didn't think another banning was neccesary. A bit obnoxious was he? Yes. A banworthy thingamajoob? No.</font>

He's not like the typical troll. He literally filled the forums with junk, literally junk. He made pages of threads with nothing but "HMMMMM....COME SEE THE COUNTRY BEARS" and crap. If you went to the main EC page you couldn't see any real work because it was flooded with that. And he kept evading bans, he went through at least one ISP revoking his service for what he's done. So, I don't think you're really in a position to say he shouldn't be banned.

------------------
2004-01-23, 1:28 PM #75
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mscbuck:
The discussion that it turned into, turned out to be discussed on another thread. No need to start to separate threads for the same topic.

</font>

Would you please address what I wrote so we can actually solve this?

And who really cares if there's two threads on the same topic? It's not like this is Lucasforums where there's a huge premium on space.

------------------

COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-01-23, 1:46 PM #76
"If you have an issue related to the admins... If you have a problem with a ban or a thread being closed, be it yours or someone else's, email the admins. Do NOT post a message on the forums, it will get closed. If you don't feel comfortable emailing one of the admins, email another one. "

Wait a second, aren't those part of the rules you've signed up for? You should be happy that us admins kept this one open.

In life, people make mistakes. Do you realize this is the first time I've ever made this so called "mistake" (although I stand by my decision). You learn by mistakes. Adding to that, don't make it seem like I'm the only one that's doing this, this is the first time I've done something of this nature. If it is deemed a mistake, I will try to learn from my experience (although I still stand by closing that PARTICULAR thread)

------------------

[This message has been edited by mscbuck (edited January 23, 2004).]

2004-01-23, 1:46 PM #77
Man if this was the biggest thing we have to worry about..... You are all overreacting. If I see half the threads on the forum closed, then I'll complain. But you are all overreacting over something that isn't important.

------------------
Come on, shake the Nub,..... you know you want to.
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2004-01-23, 2:05 PM #78
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">"If you have an issue related to the admins... If you have a problem with a ban or a thread being closed, be it yours or someone else's, email the admins. Do NOT post a message on the forums, it will get closed. If you don't feel comfortable emailing one of the admins, email another one. "</font>

As Jaiph said in the first page (thanks again for reading it), this is a public discussion. As for people making mistakes, this isn't the first bad judgement call you've made - you screwed up on the Floppy case too.

------------------
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-01-23, 2:08 PM #79
If people would just READ THE THREAD Tracer wouldn't have to keep repeating himself.

------------------
BV's rendition of Titanic: Let's have sex. I won't let go. I don't need this stone.
The End.
~ Wolfy
That painting was a gift, Todd. I'm taking it with me.
2004-01-23, 2:19 PM #80
Floppy was a troll.

Tracer, we have identified you as being part of the Floppy incident. Don't say I was making a mistake. You were acting like immature fools (yes, plural because many other people partaked in it. Don't think we don't know about it). You were sharing a public nickname with 5 people, allowing them all to make different posts. Even admins were taking part in the joke. It turned into trolling, and you know it.

This will be the last post I make on this thread, since I know I'm right and you're wrong regarding this particular thread. Maybe it is a different case for some other ones that were closed, but not this one. I've talked to many people and they agree that if a post that started out as such a stupid topic, and it turned into a discussion that is already been talked about in another thread, that there is no harm in closing it. I stand by my decision. Call me stubborn (yes, I'm allowing you to call me stubborn, I don't care), I could care less. Take me out from the admin position, I could care less, becuase I know that I am right regarding this particular case. Frankly, most of the admins deal with this crap all the time, yet I'm getting bullseyed now.....

Oh, and when you make a mistake in life, be sure to inform us. You've blown this way out of proportion.

And if I'm wrong about Floppy (which I think I'm not about banning him, along with other admins)...OH MY GOD I'VE MADE 2 MISTAKES IN MY LIFE!!!! AND ON A ONLINE FORUM OF ALL PLACES!!! IM SURELY GOING TO HELL!!!!
------------------

↑ Up to the top!