Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsShowcase → I can't believe it's not doom
I can't believe it's not doom
2004-08-09, 12:46 PM #41
The wires look like melting solder.

------------------
(>º_º)> ±h³ ѳv³®-£ⁿd¡תּ9 §±ºr¥ <(º_º<) | (>º_º)> תּℓζ ШǿѓЖ§|-Юρ <(º_º<)
Think while it's still legal.
2004-08-09, 1:59 PM #42
That's a photogragh, right?

------------------
Check out my deviantART gallery.
2004-08-09, 5:57 PM #43
THE DARKEST THING!

These new graphics engines are so spiffy that they make even the most modest of hallways look stellar.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2004-08-13, 10:59 AM #44
I'm sorry for lack of updates. I was out of town for the week. However, now that I'm back, I hope to have some new pics soon.

------------------
I bet you think that's funny, don't you.
2004-08-13, 4:49 PM #45
Nice, very nice. I think that the wires being 2D does take away from it a bit though. I can also see you've been making maps for a long time. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
[Insert witty anti-signature here.]
Nouveau Vintage
2004-08-13, 6:47 PM #46
Sweet. Just get some 3D models for wires, and get two spawn points, and instagib, give only the pistol...you've got an old-school duel map.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-13, 7:42 PM #47
I'm working on actual 3D wires.

------------------
2004-08-13, 8:31 PM #48
2 pages for a single shot of a bland looking hallway and sprite-wires? Can anyone say fanboyism?

JediKirby

------------------
jEDIkIRBY - Putting the Romance back into Necromancer.
Proud Leader of the Minnessassian Council

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-08-13, 8:35 PM #49
Fanboyism.

------------------
Member of the Minnessassian Council
2004-08-13, 8:37 PM #50
Right. I agree with JK. It's a box with wires... Okay?

------------------
2004-08-13, 8:46 PM #51
Well, it's a little more than a box... it's a pretty box. But still, it's just a hallway. No one would want to play a level of just a hallway.

------------------

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-08-13, 10:33 PM #52
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I can't believe it's not doom</font>

ARE yOU SERIOUS???//?/ TAHT'S IS JK?!!1?/? HOLY @#$(!!!!!!111 how did you get it to look like it dooom so perfectly?!@!!!@!111 THAT SO OWNS TEH DARKNESS THING!!!11!1 how ddid you get hte textures so high res?///??/?// and hwo did you get teh hud translesint?!!!!??????///1111111!!

------------------
I am __Ace_1__ , and I approve this message.

[This message has been edited by Ace1 (edited August 14, 2004).]
I am _ Ace_1 _ , and I approve this message.
2004-08-14, 8:09 AM #53
.. I ...

------------------
Moo.
Moo.
2004-08-14, 8:32 AM #54
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jEDIkIRBY:
No one would want to play a level of just a hallway.</font>

Uh, no ****? Really, why are you talking at all? He had some fun in DOOMEdit, and he's showing us. If it gets two pages, then it does...again, why are you talking?

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-08-14, 9:12 AM #55
Emon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.

------------------
Some people are addicted to drugs, some people are addicted to alcohol, and then some people are addicted to sex; but as for me, I'm currently suffering from some serious JED addiction.

~ Vader's Corner ~
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2004-08-14, 9:39 AM #56
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Daft_Vader:
stuff</font>

------------------
2004-08-14, 10:02 AM #57
Emon wins.

------------------
WOOSH|-----@%
Warhead[97]
2004-08-14, 1:36 PM #58
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BobTheMasher:
Emon wins.</font>
I concur.
2004-08-14, 4:12 PM #59
For Aiur.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-15, 3:56 AM #60
Why is Epic crapping their pants? Unless you're referring to Unreal 3. Which IMO doesn't feel right with the graphics, it feels like it was prerendered and came out of a Myst game.
But, dunno. Haven't seen anything but original screenies and no videos.

------------------
"Judging by the name of the author, and the name of the work, I'd guess it's an energy "beam". You know, like in the Japanese cartoons where those guys with big hair fly around, talk philosophy, and shoot fireballs at each other." - Hellequin
*insert some joke about pasta and fruit scuffles*
2004-08-15, 5:41 AM #61
I saw a tech demo of Unreal 3 on Fileplanet. Looks not that bad acually. It showed lighting coming through certain objects and such, and different effects and ect. It's not that bad acually. I guess we will have to wait and see. :P

------------------
Ferr1s b3ull3r, j00 r my h3r0!
Ferr1s b3ull3r, j00 r my h3r0!
2004-08-15, 6:29 AM #62
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
4-12000 polys not enough for you?

And no not everything "looks like plastic". God I hate people like you. Play the damned game.

Also, what finity said. This is the first game I'm actually interested in editing.

</font>

Oh shut the hell up. I've played it and it looks like plastic. Yes, the entire goddamn game.
A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.

A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.

art
2004-08-15, 6:45 AM #63
There is no Unreal 3.

But there is an Unreal Engine 3.

------------------
"I'd rather be hated for who I am rather than loved for who I pretend to be." -Janis Joplin
2004-08-15, 7:42 AM #64
Dude, the U3 engine will kick the ever living **** out of Doom 3, Half-life 2, and Halo 2. Heck, the minimum card that can run it is that latest nVidia geforce 6500 or whatever it is. That, and looking at the tech demo video, should convince you once and for all.

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-08-15, 8:13 AM #65
Yeah, in 2006 at the earliest. There will always be another engine about to come out that will be better than everything else. Give it a rest...

------------------
2004-08-15, 10:06 AM #66
Having gotten about eight hours into the game, I still think it looks like plastic.

It is very nice plastic though. I get killed a lot because I get distracted by some detail and have to play with the flashlight on it. Then, bam, a pinky demon eats me.

One of the funnest parts of the game is trying to figure out which details are modelled and which are just normal maps. Sometimes I have to turn on r_showtris to tell. No wonder the game took so long to make. The ID mappers must be sick of pipes by now.

------------------
http://www.omnisu.com/
2004-08-15, 10:06 AM #67
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sine Nomen:
Oh shut the hell up. I've played it and it looks like plastic. Yes, the entire goddamn game.</font>

I would shut the hell up if I didn't play it and everything did look like plastic.

See me? Not shutting the hell up.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-15, 11:30 AM #68
Man... I'm sorry, but Doom 3 DOES look plastic. That doesn't mean it doesn't have good graphics. But everything has a plastic look to it.

------------------
I figure that one day I'll either be famous, or in prison. But I guess if I'm going to prison, I should probably try to do something that would make me famous anyway.
>>untie shoes
2004-08-15, 12:04 PM #69
The entire Mars installation (apart from the exterior, and possibly the later parts of the game as i've only played the first mission (alpha labs) looked like a collection of highly detailed model kits.

Yes, it had a plastic look to it, but mainly because of the lack of textures on virtually every object (the monochrome effect didn't look like metal. it looked like plastic without any paint or enamel).

Would it have killed id to make the textures seem a bit more realistic? probably (considering how rabid the fans were already getting over the course of the summer).

------------------
"Iraqniphobia - The fear of non-existant weapons of mass-destruction."
50000 episodes of badmouthing and screaming like a constipated goat cant be wrong. - Mr. Stafford
2004-08-15, 1:05 PM #70
I don't think anything looks like plastic. Gooey monsters slimy? Yes. Metal reflective? Yes. Plastic? No.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-15, 3:47 PM #71
I must agree, all the d3 shots I've seen tend to look very plastic, and sometimes almost rubbery. The monsters look like they're poorly made muppets, because their skin texture is SO overdone, that it looks like styraphome. Sure, you want to pimp your new engine: Don't over-do it.

JediKirby

------------------

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-08-15, 7:44 PM #72
Looks good, but if you decide to make a level out of this, I beg you to make it a little brighter than the average corridor in Mars City..god I hated that.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
See me? Not shutting the hell up.
</font>

Ahahahaha, you have absolutely *no* idea how tempting it is to make you
A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.

A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.

art
2004-08-15, 8:40 PM #73
See, I'm not the only one who thinks Doom 3 looks like plastic.

Half-Life 2 as of now:
[http://sajn.phearwear.com/hlshot.jpg]

Half-Life 2 after 'id' put it on the Doom Engine:
[http://sajn.phearwear.com/d3shot.jpg]

------------------
(>º_º)> ±h³ ѳv³®-£ⁿd¡תּ9 §±ºr¥ <(º_º< ) | (>º_º)> תּℓζ ШǿѓЖ§|-Юρ <(º_º< )

[This message has been edited by SAJN_Master (edited August 15, 2004).]
2004-08-15, 8:43 PM #74
OMG!!!11 Taht second shot rulzzz!!!!111 It looks SOOO MUCH BETTERZZ!!!!!!111@1! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif] OMG LOLZ!!1

After all, plastics make it possible.

------------------
Change is never a choice. You change, and you are who you have become. And there's not a damned thing you can do about it.
>>untie shoes
2004-08-15, 9:04 PM #75
The proper way to turn a shot from any game into a Doom 3 shot:

1.) Add a hot wax filter. That should give your shot that fresh 'Doom 3' look.
2.) Make the room incredibly dark, except for a light or two just to prove that your game has textures and it isn't JUST a black box.

[http://sajn.phearwear.com/hl2vd3.jpg]

Enjoy.

The funny thing is, I showed that picture to a bunch of friends, most of those friends thought the picture on the right was Doom 3.

------------------
(>º_º)> ±h³ ѳv³®-£ⁿd¡תּ9 §±ºr¥ <(º_º< ) | (>º_º)> תּℓζ ШǿѓЖ§|-Юρ <(º_º< )

[This message has been edited by SAJN_Master (edited August 16, 2004).]
2004-08-15, 10:10 PM #76
That's hilarious...

------------------
[Insert witty anti-signature here.]
Nouveau Vintage
2004-08-15, 11:27 PM #77
Code:
        |--------------|---------------------|
|Roseanne|      |You|         |Remotely Humorous|

------------------
WOOSH|-----@%

[This message has been edited by BobTheMasher (edited August 16, 2004).]
Warhead[97]
2004-08-15, 11:36 PM #78
So, it's now a proven fact that this mysterious doom3 "plasticity effect" we see is, in fact, nothing more than hot-waxisity. Proven by Dr. SAJN_Master PHD, the mystery has finally been solved. It's official, Doom3 can no longer be called plastic looking because of the fact it has been proven to be wax coated rather than plastic looking. These experiements have yeilded the best results we could hope for. We should nominate him for the Nobel Prize for video game graphics.

...in the serious world, that was so hilarious. It looks just like a d3 shot. How many people did you fool out of how many that didn't think it was a doom3 shot?

------------------
I am __Ace_1__ , and I approve this message.

[This message has been edited by Ace1 (edited August 16, 2004).]
I am _ Ace_1 _ , and I approve this message.
2004-08-16, 4:40 AM #79
I knew it wasn't Doom 3. It looked like crap.

Sine--I know, but I don't care. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
There is no signature

[This message has been edited by Dj Yoshi (edited August 16, 2004).]
D E A T H
2004-08-16, 4:48 AM #80
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">...in the serious world, that was so hilarious. It looks just like a d3 shot. How many people did you fool out of how many that didn't think it was a doom3 shot?</font>

So far 5 [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------

↑ Up to the top!