Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Those who like battle rap...
Those who like battle rap...
2004-01-27, 6:51 PM #81
"What is thy bidding my master?"
"Its a disaster! Skywalker we're after!"
"Could we change him to the dark side?"
"Yes! he'd be a powerful ally....another dark jedi."
"He will join us or die!"

"We got deathstar we got deathstar we got deathstar"

------------------
Signatures are overrated.

"You can run but you will only die tired."
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2004-01-27, 7:42 PM #82
Though a rap artist is far from first on my list of Artists to listen to, I will give you my opinion....

As has been said before, certain parts of a few of the songs seem as though they stray away from the beat, or just don't really fit in well.

I feel that your work is good, and if I listened to rap, I would have no problem listen to your music.

On a scale of 1-10 I'd rate your songs (as a whole, not indidually) an 8.

You have potential, but just like any other artist, there is room for improvement. Work on the lyrics more, and make sure they all match the beat and you'll be in great shape. But since those songs are not your newest work, it's kind of hard to make a good judgment because you may have fixed those problems already (whether you know it or not)

Good luck to you with this.

I have a quick question for you also....

Are you looking to do this professionally, or as just a hobby?

------------------
In rememberance of MaDaVentor...
MaDaVentor Memorial Post
The Limelite Memorial
The MaDaVentor Memorial Pack

RiP MaDa. You will be greatly missed, but never forgotten.

[This message has been edited by FCTuner04 (edited January 27, 2004).]
2004-01-28, 3:33 AM #83
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chaz Ghostle:
We got Death Star. We got Death Star. We got Death Star...</font>

The towers are the playas...

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
NMGOH || Jack Chick preaches it || The Link of the Dead
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-01-28, 1:40 PM #84
I'm still in high school so I'm tryin to focus on my school work. When I get into college I'm gonna try to work on this more, cuz my voice and intellect will have matured by then... I dunno where I'm goin with this, so I can say its a hobby for now.

I'm gonna try to be the best I can be at it tho, and if that takes me somewhere then the more the better.

Thanks for bein one of the few who reviewed my stuff.

------------------
My Tracks

[This message has been edited by Em Playa (edited January 28, 2004).]
2004-01-28, 2:27 PM #85
I fail to see how someone could enjoy Eminem but not enjoy Tupac or Nas. First of all all 3 of them can write well...but...people complain about the lyrical content of rap, but it is Eminem who wrote TWO songs on DIFFERENT albums about killing his wife...I guess Eminem said it best, and please forgive me for bringing this up, but..meh just listen to "White America"...its on the Eminem Show.

------------------
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-01-28, 2:37 PM #86
I enjoy Eminem and not Tupac and Nas because I can relate to what Eminem is rapping about - the hypocrisy of standards and practices that society seems to embrace. I can't relate to Tupac and Nas rapping about what it was like for them to grow up in urban surroundings, though I do like Nas' "I Know I Can" song.

I enjoy Outkast because their music is just fun music to which I enjoy listening.

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"

[This message has been edited by Wolfy (edited January 28, 2004).]
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-01-28, 2:41 PM #87
Eminem hardly raps about that. Half of his rhymes are stereotypical of any rapper...of his hardships, and bad times growing up. If you relate to wanting to kill your wife...forgive me for my ignorance. I do not know you well.

BTW: If you really want to listen to someone who elaborates on the hypocrisys and such on the world..that man would be Tupac...heck he embodies that statment himself. Try "Changes". I forgot what CD it was on.

------------------

10/7/85 - 12/9/03

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-01-28, 3:02 PM #88
Good song indeed

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-01-28, 3:29 PM #89
Songs like the ones about killing his wife (Kim is her name?) are simply made to instigate protesters and point out double standards. Sometimes you have to look at a song beyond its face value.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Wolfy (edited January 28, 2004).]
2004-01-28, 3:36 PM #90
LOL. Wolfy it took you a while to stretch that one. He hates the *****. Plain and simple.

------------------

10/7/85 - 12/9/03

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-01-28, 4:10 PM #91
Both are good in their own way. That's why they're the top two grossin rappers of all time.

No use in arguing, its who you like and don't like. No matter how hard you try to convince me N'Sync's music is good, I won't listen to it.

Same principle applies here.

------------------
My Tracks
2004-01-28, 6:04 PM #92
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">the hypocrisy of standards and practices that society seems to embrace. I can't relate to Tupac and Nas rapping about what it was like for them to grow up in urban surroundings, though I do like Nas' "I Know I Can" song.</font>

Eminem wasnt the only one that did that. Tupac did that as well, only on a deeper level. He wasn't straight all about the "hood". He spoke about stereotypes, racism, all world issues.

The only thing Eminem raps about is raping his wife, killing someone, or something involved in a gun killing or whatever. Not to mention, he rags all thee time on his own MOM. Now she may deserve it yeah, but to make your living off of making fun of your mom is pretty low. At least throw some variety in there.

Just listen to these songs from TUpac:

"Changes"
"The Good Die Young"
"Better Dayz"

2004-01-28, 6:11 PM #93
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The only thing Eminem raps about is raping his wife, killing someone, or something involved in a gun killing or whatever. Not to mention, he rags all thee time on his own MOM. Now she may deserve it yeah, but to make your living off of making fun of your mom is pretty low. At least throw some variety in there.</font>

lol, try listening to all his songs before comin to a quick judgment... if you did, you would know that what you said ain't true...

Don't argue if you don't know any facts.

Like I said, each artist has their own style and own followers... In my opinion, both rappers are highly respectable in their own way.

------------------
My Tracks
2004-01-28, 6:48 PM #94
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Em Playa:

Like I said, each artist has their own style and own followers... In my opinion, both rappers are highly respectable in their own way.

</font>

Dont get me wrong...I still like Eminem, I pretty much listen to everything he puts out, I just...its almost an insult to say Eminem has said more than Tupac or Nas, because it isnt true. Eminem just has a bigger fan base, and the little good he does say will get to more people.

------------------

10/7/85 - 12/9/03

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-01-28, 7:19 PM #95
I agree, as of now, Tupac has said more things that relate to the world and he's influenced many people.

Eminem is undoubtedly more popular though. This is cuz he brought a lot of mainstream white people to the rap field (not being racist, its true.) At the rate he's going he'll outsell Tupac eventually. Tupac was very influential to the black culture because his words spoke to them and had meaning. People generally listened to Pac cuz of his lyrics, not cuz it was good to dance to or whatever.

Eminem and Pac are from two different eras though. Its kind of stupid to compare them... I respect Pac more cuz he was real and his lyrics appealed to me. Maybe you guys who don't listen to rap just generalize about hard beats and cuss words, but its part of a culture. If you listen to the words that Pac wrote, maybe you'd change your minds and not generalize about rap...

------------------
My Tracks
2004-01-29, 6:35 AM #96
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ubuu:
Dont get me wrong...I still like Eminem, I pretty much listen to everything he puts out, I just...its almost an insult to say Eminem has said more than Tupac or Nas, because it isnt true. Eminem just has a bigger fan base, and the little good he does say will get to more people.</font>

But I didn't say that. I said I could relate more to what Eminem says than Tupac. That's a completely subjective statement.

------------------
2004-01-29, 10:22 AM #97
Eminem isn't more popular than Tupac is, nor will he ever be. He might SEEM like it, but that's just all. Tupac had love from all over the world, people could relate to him from all over the world, not just the people growin up in the hood. Myself, I can relate to him and I never even grew up in the hood.

Eminem is popular for quite a few reasons:

1. He's white.
2. He is considered a sex symbol.

Those aere only a couple of the main ones, I cannot think of the rest right now, but I'll expand on them.

For you who might disagree with the fact that Eminem is white has nothing to do with it, you're wrong. Think about it. When Tupac (a BLACK artist) wrote about the things he did, not only did the WHITE government speak out against it, but there were even people shown on the NEWS breaking Tupac's records. As I recall, it was either Bob Dole or Al Gore who I seen, stating something like "There is no need for these lyrics in today's society". Now you tell me, what in the hell is so bad about Tupac's lyrics compared to Eminem's?. There have been no government outcries against Eminem.

Now I'm not saying Eminem doesn't have talent, because he does. He is a very skilled rapper. But as far as popularity and relations to teens, as well as speaking out against society's hypocracies, Tupac wins hands down.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">lol, try listening to all his songs before comin to a quick judgment... if you did, you would know that what you said ain't true...

Don't argue if you don't know any facts.
</font>

You are entitled to your opinion, however, I woud like to point out that I listen to Eminem on almost daily basis, so I DO know what I am talking about. I listen to Tupac practically religiously. So I know what I'm talking about with that.
2004-01-29, 10:47 AM #98
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Temperamental:
When Tupac (a BLACK artist) wrote about the things he did, not only did the WHITE government speak out against it, but there were even people shown on the NEWS breaking Tupac's records. As I recall, it was either Bob Dole or Al Gore who I seen, stating something like "There is no need for these lyrics in today's society". Now you tell me, what in the hell is so bad about Tupac's lyrics compared to Eminem's?. There have been no government outcries against Eminem.</font>

While I find it humorous that you try to paint the U.S. and other countries' governments as a white-sympathizing body, evidence like this, or this case in Australia, or this instance in Canada debunks that argument.

Eminem's skin color has as little to do with his success as Tupac's.

------------------
2004-01-29, 10:49 AM #99
What permanently put me off from ever liking rap is the way the people who enjoyed it turned out over here (in the UK for those not in the know). Damn impresionable kids... I'd only spare the ones that actually make coherent sense during communication, and that wouldn't be many.

And if I contrasted myself in any way, sue Mr. Bling Bling's cash-money and not me.

------------------
Yeah, but you know what? This one, this one right here, this was my dream, my wish, and it didn't come true. So I'm takin' it back. I'm takin' 'em all back.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2004-01-29, 10:51 AM #100
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wolfy:\
[/b]
Eminem's skin color has as little to do with his success as Tupac's.

[/B]</font>

You are just as blind as them for that comment. It may be hard for you to admit man, but I know for sure if those exact lyrics came out of...say Memphis Bleek a fairly known rapper by us who listen to the music, but probably not amongst those who dont indulge in the music regulary. If he rapped the exact same lyrics as Eminem, I guaruntee no one would listen or care. Sorry Wolfy, but it has been said many times, not just by me, but by the media and many music scholars that Eminems skin color is a big attribute to his success.

------------------

10/7/85 - 12/9/03

[This message has been edited by Ubuu (edited January 29, 2004).]

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-01-29, 11:02 AM #101
Wow. I never thought we'd have people arguing about what rapper is better. It brings a tear to my eye. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-01-29, 11:05 AM #102
Totally true Ubuu, just what I was tryin to say. So sad to admit it, but it's true. Racism still exists very much so, unfortunately.

And you do realise, that most of Eminem's fans ARE white, as well as most of the people who vote for others at the Grammy's.
2004-01-29, 11:09 AM #103
*listens to sean paul*

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Rah!
/fluffle
2004-01-29, 11:18 AM #104
*listens to N'Sync+*
*gets mugged by everyone*

+- I don't actually listen to N'Sync.

------------------
MadQuack on Military school: Pro's: I get to shoot a gun. Con's: Everything else.
"I'm going to beat you until the laws of physics are violated!!" ! Maeve's Warcry

RIP -MaDaVentor-. You will be missed.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-01-29, 11:44 AM #105
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ubuu:
You are just as blind as them for that comment. It may be hard for you to admit man, but I know for sure if those exact lyrics came out of...say Memphis Bleek a fairly known rapper by us who listen to the music, but probably not amongst those who dont indulge in the music regulary. If he rapped the exact same lyrics as Eminem, I guaruntee no one would listen or care. Sorry Wolfy, but it has been said many times, not just by me, but by the media and many music scholars that Eminems skin color is a big attribute to his success.</font>

Unfortunately, Eminem's success is attribute to a lot of advertising[/b]. Has Memphis Bleek been on the front of Rolling Stone? Has he been strongly promoted by Dr. Dre? Sure, he's described "Jay-Z's protogé," but, then, I don't particularly care for Jay-Z, which would make me care to listen to him even less.

------------------
2004-01-29, 12:00 PM #106
You dont care for Jay-Z but you care for Dre?

Eminems advertising has to once again due to his color...THEY KNOW HE WILL SELL. Maybe that is why he was on the cover of Rolling Stones? What the hell will Memphis Bleek sell to you?

Oh, and here is a question for you based on your comment:

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">

he's described "Jay-Z's protogé," but, then, I don't particularly care for Jay-Z, which would make me care to listen to him even less.

</font>

Would you care for Mephis Bleek if he was the rapper rapping Eminems lyrics? Would you relate to him then?

------------------

10/7/85 - 12/9/03

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-01-29, 12:12 PM #107
They do now. Not when he first came out though. He was seen as a high risk investment, in terms of his music.

Wolfy, anyone considered Jay Z's protoge is going to have all the support they need to make it big if they are talented.

Also, I like Dre, but I don't care for Jay Z. It's not unheard of.

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-01-29, 12:33 PM #108
Like Ubuu said, it's all based around his color. I can guarantee you that if Eminem was black, he wouldn't have sold as many records as he has, AND, there would be more of an outcry from the public/government agains his lyrics. It's happened before. Like I pointed out, to Tupac, a BLACK artist.
2004-01-29, 12:39 PM #109
The reason there was a larger backlash against Tupac was that he was just one of many. Rap had, until the late 80's, been mostly an underground phenonema. People like Tupac brought it to the mainstream. The lyrical content of rap was a lot different than what had been playing over the radio for the past three decades.

The reason Eminem hasn't received as large a backlash is the same reason why bands like Motograter and Mudvayne haven't had the same shocked reception as Slipknot and Manson received - it's been done before, and society is more accustomed to it.

Additionally, if Memphis Bleek sounded exactly like Eminem, and had the same music in the background, yes, I would. However, Memphis Bleek, though I've not heard him, probably does not sound like Eminem, nor does he have the same music in the background.

In what seems to be a likely case that you think I don't like any other rap artists, I do like Missy Elliot, Ludacris, Snoop Dogg, Dre, Mystikal, and Busta Rhymes. Just to clear up any possible misconceptions.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Wolfy, anyone considered Jay Z's protoge is going to have all the support they need to make it big if they are talented.</font>

I didn't say he wouldn't make it big. I said that's why I probably wouldn't care for him. I don't care for Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, N'Sync, Backstreet Boys, Jessica Simpson, 50 Cent, John Mayer, Jason Mraz, and a whole host of others, but they seem to have had at least some marginal success.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Wolfy (edited January 29, 2004).]

2004-01-29, 12:45 PM #110
[offtopic]Run DMC > *[/offtopic]

------------------
WARNING: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUT!!!
---@%
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2004-01-29, 3:08 PM #111
Eminem himself recognizes the fact that if he wasn't white he would of had a less of an impact.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Look at myself!
Lets do the math
If I was black I woulda sold half
I aint have to graduate
From Lincoln High School to know that</font>

Eminem said it himself in White America if you need proof.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">When I was underground
No one gave a **** I was white
No lables wanted to sign me
Almost gave up, I was like **** it
Until I met Dre
The only one who looked past
Gave me a chance
And I lit a fire up under his ***
Helped him get back to the top
Every fan black that I got
Was probly his
In exchange for every white fan that he's got
Like damn we just swapped
Sittin back look at this **** wow
Im like My skin, is it startin to work to my benifit now?</font>

Even more admission.
------------------
My Tracks

[This message has been edited by Em Playa (edited January 29, 2004).]
2004-01-29, 3:21 PM #112
With some, yes, his skin does matter. But you and ubuu are making the argument that his success is based entirely off of his skin color.

------------------
2004-01-29, 3:23 PM #113
Show me where I said that, cuz I didn't.

------------------
My Tracks
2004-01-29, 3:24 PM #114
Just because Eminem says that doesn't mean it's true. However, I that his race probably factors into his success. Just like what Elvis did to rock and roll.

Personally, the biggest barrier between me and rap is that I don't like the culture.

I've heard a few songs by Atmosphere, and they're pretty cool. If I Was Santa Claus is a GREAT song with really moving lyrics.
Unfortunately, I haven't heard any Outkast yet.

I like psuedo rap, like Red Hot Chili Peppers' early stuff, Electronic's song Idiot Country, and Massive Attack.
Rage Against the Machine are also spiffy.

------------------
All you need is love.

[This message has been edited by dry gear the frog (edited January 29, 2004).]
It's not the side effects of cocaine, so then I'm thinking that it must be love
2004-01-29, 3:35 PM #115
I never said his sales were attributed to the fact that he's white... that's just dumb.

He's an ill battle emcee and an even iller lyricist. He deserves to be recognized for his skill.

However, I'm sure he wouldn't have been as big of a hit if he was black I'm sure. Many white people started listening to rap after they saw him, because it was new. Ill lyricists like Canibus, who would prolly BEAT Eminem in a battle, are still unrecognized.

------------------
My Tracks
2004-01-29, 3:56 PM #116
I couldn't care less if Eminem could be beaten by someone else in a "battle." The ability for someone to insult another doesn't impress me in the least.

I retract my claim that you, Em, made the claim. My mistake, sorry.

------------------

2004-01-29, 4:12 PM #117
Judging by context, I'd guess that by ill you mean good.
Interesting, I've never heard that before.

I'm not a big fan of Eminem. White America (the only song of his I've heard) is an incredibly annoying song (IMO).

------------------
All you need is love.
It's not the side effects of cocaine, so then I'm thinking that it must be love
2004-01-29, 4:18 PM #118
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wolfy:
I couldn't care less if Eminem could be beaten by someone else in a "battle." The ability for someone to insult another doesn't impress me in the least.

</font>

Boy do I smell ignorance. It smells fooooonnnkay

------------------

10/7/85 - 12/9/03

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-01-29, 5:07 PM #119
Being good at anything deserves at least some kinda respect, in my opinion.

Dry gear - you should expand your horizons and listen to a variety of music, you never know... maybe it'll appeal to you?

------------------
My Tracks
2004-01-29, 5:23 PM #120
BT rules!

*hide*

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
-------@%

The Matrix: Unplugged

I'm a C4D b****!

↑ Up to the top!