Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Episode 3!! (slight spoilers)
Episode 3!! (slight spoilers)
2005-05-18, 6:25 AM #1
So my friend works at a local movie theater, and we got to see Episode 3 early, as in last night.

First off, I should let you guys know that I didn't really hate Episodes 1 and 2, but I didn't think they were all that great. I certainly didn't think they warranted the huge amount of criticsm that they got. And so, onto my Ep 3 reaction.

One word: awesome. Seriousely, in my mind it contends for the best out of all six. It's by far the darkest of all of them, and very much deserves its PG-13 rating. It only has a few cringe-worthy dialogue lines, as opposed to the onslaught of bad writing in Episode 2. And the special effects are simply incredible. But the movie doesn't rely on them exclusively like the previous two did. The plot is well done, and I literally got goosebumbs more than once.

I came in expecting to be dissapointed like most people did, but when I left, me and the other people who saw it were giggling like little kids to our friends.

Most importantly though, it enhances the original trilogy, and the other prequel movies. I find it a small miracle that Lucas managed to turn the build up of episodes 1 and 2 into something this great. It's an awesome ending to the whole series.
2005-05-18, 6:29 AM #2
I think we might need a temporary Epi. 3 forum.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-05-18, 5:14 PM #3
Quote:
Originally posted by Echoman

I second that.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2005-05-18, 5:16 PM #4
Quote:
Originally posted by Echoman

I vote for this motion.
2005-05-18, 5:28 PM #5
give gbk his own depression forum too while ur at it
2005-05-18, 5:28 PM #6
What a great world we live in.

Episode 3 is available on the internet 51mins after it's released in the UK :p
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2005-05-18, 5:47 PM #7
Quote:
Originally posted by LightStaff
give gbk his own depression forum too while ur at it

Lightstaff is back!
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2005-05-18, 7:26 PM #8
I'm going to beat him up.
former entrepreneur
2005-05-18, 7:31 PM #9
YAY LIGHTSTAFF!

I think I am gonna go up to my local movie theatre and laugh at my friends who are working, and laugh at all the people dressed up in jedi robes...
||||||||||||||||||||
2005-05-18, 9:59 PM #10
I saw it as part of my english class (i.e. a way to do something other than sit in class doing class type stuff (My english that i am doing is science fiction)

it was a kick-*** movie. very cool film.
:D
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2005-05-18, 10:24 PM #11
jedi robes, or are they blankets? ;)
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2005-05-18, 10:39 PM #12
Quote:
Originally posted by SideBurns
as opposed to the onslaught of bad writing in Episode 2.

NO TIHS!!!
2005-05-18, 10:53 PM #13
I'm hoping to see it either tommorrow or friday night, definitely by saturday.
2005-05-19, 12:00 AM #14
well, just got back fromt he theatre, as I suspected, they WERE blankets.... it seemed like people were taking this as an excuse to wear whatever they wanted.. I saw people with spiked mowhawks... WTF?! that's not starwars!! unless ofcouse it was just a rodian costume...
||||||||||||||||||||
2005-05-19, 12:30 AM #15
A few people had actual robes, and not as many lightsabers as I'd thought.

Oh, and the movie kicked *** :cool:
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2005-05-19, 12:41 AM #16
We had a green and red lightsaber at the front. The whole theater was cheering when they activated them to the Fox-logo.
Sorry for the lousy German
2005-05-19, 12:51 AM #17
i went dresses as vader. all black, the voice changer helmet from target, and a black bedsheet folded in half and strung around my neck as the cape. worked nice. every time i walked in or out of the theater people were like "YEAH! VADER!" and i raised my saber and everyone cheered. it was awesome. two kids wore robes. other than that i was the only one who dressed up.

man did i love that movie.
2005-05-19, 12:58 AM #18
A guy who is friends with some of my friends camed dressed as Anakin. Damn good version too, grew his hair out, had the fake scar, the robes matched almost perfectly, the glove, etc. Freaky really. Girls were getting there photos taken with him and I mumbled "You should be asking for there numbers."

Why didn't Qui-Gon speak to Yoda?!
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2005-05-19, 1:15 AM #19
Here's my take, kind of long... I outline pretty much what I thought of the major characters:

First 30 minutes. Every annoying sound the sound engineers could record was crammed into every second, EQ'ed to be extra annoying, and then played at full volume. Nonstop.

The opening space fight... ridiculous. Plus, I could care less about clone troopers fighting, since it's all just background to everything else. Same for clone pilots.

Count Dooku... Christopher Lee is getting too old to do his own fight scenes so throw in some bad CG, toss Obi into a corner, and then have Anakin 1-2 Dooku in about 5 seconds. Enormous let down.

Palpatine... throughout the entire movie I cringed each time he was onstage because not only was he annoying, but in some cases the acting was incredibly bad. (When the Chancellor is being led away by the droids when Grievous is "threatening" ObiWan and Anakin). RUBBER MASK! EW!

General Grievous... stupid. *Cough cough cough* Wait, I need to fight some guy who has 1 saber, I happen to have 4 but I only use 2 at a time so the guy with 1 saber slices me up in less than 1 minute. Oh, and by the way, I'm miraculously healed whenever I need to fight or bust a window open and climb out in the middle of space... and my exposed skin/eyes along with that of ObiWan, Anakin, and Palpy, doesnt happen to explode. Killed with one shot. Please, George, you should have kept Dooku around and scrapped this stupid droid/cyborg fetish you have nowadays.

Padme. Thankfully, she was only in about 20 minutes of the movie, each line not requiring much acting, and wearing dresses that were hot until the camera showed her stomach.

Mace Windu. Samuel L. != good actor. Best part was his hand getting cut off and him screaming like a woman.

Anakin.... Hayden learned how to act! Or maybe it was just the lines he was given seemed more natural. Eitherway, he wasnt too bad and was pretty much badass until the fight with ObiWan, then his character just became pathetic and annoying. I couldnt wait for him to burn.

Yoda. What a coward. "I must go into exile because I got my *** handed to me by an old guy with an awful rubber mask!" But he did kick *** on Kashyyyk... which I always imagined would have a bit more trees.

Obi Wan. Saving grace of the movie. Throughout the prequel trilogy he's been the only character worth watching and worth caring about (besides Qui Gon). I actually almost teared up when he was watching Anakin burn and yelling at him and himself for letting everyone down.

Darth Vader in Darth Vader form.... complete let down.

"Where's Padme? Is that my voice? Is that my voice?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

The last scene with Vader was just awful and made him so much less of a cool bad guy and more of just a freak who happened to kill lots of people.

R2, more stupid gimmicks and overuse of his stupid leg jets which must break sometime between Ep. 3 and 4. C3P0... a bit part. Sad, he was entertaining in the original trilogy and was just a gimmick in the prequels.

Tarkin. Nice rubber mask on that one, and a whole 3 seconds of screen time, WITH NO LINES! I LOVE YOU, GEORGE!

Bail Organa. Kind of cool, but completely ruined by the line "We've always wanted to adopt a baby-girl!" Oh, and thanks for being a complete nobody in Ep. 1 and 2.

Now that I've seen the prequels, I'm going to forget they ever happened and just watch the original trilogy and enjoy myself. I *might* pop Ep. 3 in sometimes just to waste time and laugh, mainly because I noticed that there was no choreography to the fight scenes. It seemed to be the same method of "Show close up of sabers moving around a face and then a pull back shot of some CG backflips before an insert of more spinning sabers." What happened to the beautiful choreography in Episode 1?!??!
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2005-05-19, 1:20 AM #20
I just returned from seeing the movie myself

Absolutely Jaw-Dropping.

We had a bunch of people with sabers

One guy wore a regular bath robe, with a saber in the tie around the waist... lame

But there was a guy dressed as Vader... he had the red-suited guys (can't recall their names) with him... Just as the movie was getting ready to start, he, and his 'minions' walked in the theater (in front of the screen) everyone cheered, then 'vader' raised his ForceFX Saber (red, of course) and then everyone cheered again, then the movie started... it was really kinda cool

During the wait before the movie people were 'fighting' with their ForceFX sabers too, 2 30-40 year old men too, it was hilarious, and cool. Then a young kid joined in, and he actually had some slight... 'form' (?) to his fighting, and was just kinda cool to watch, but he stopped shortly after starting.
2005-05-19, 4:12 AM #21
Wow, talk about tasteless (Schming)

What did you like for a movie? Lol.

Snow white and the seven dwarves?

My take : Bloody amazing.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2005-05-19, 9:21 AM #22
I thought the film was amazing, and really redeemed the whole PT in a way (not entirely though), but it at least set Episode III apart from the other PT movies. The acting was vastly improved but the love dialogue was still pretty bad (except for the first and last scene when Anakin and Padme were reunited and again when they were torn apart at the end. The movie is far different from any Star Wars film, it uses a lot of different transitions, dream sequences and voice overs, not to mention is far more violent. The immolation scene itself is worth a PG-13 rating. I also liked the dialogue a lot in this one (save love scenes), because it seemed more down-to-earth unlike the other PT movies.

My only disappointments are:
- Love Scenes
- Darth Vader's "Noooooo" and flailing of the limbs.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2005-05-19, 9:31 AM #23
Was at the Dutch Line-up(nice event and all), and frankly, the movie was just great. Definately enjoyed it. At first, my mind was a bit on 'red alert' status because the start of the movie was very... I dunno... action scene and adventure-ish. It seemed as if everyone was just having a bloody fun time. Not that I had a problem with it, mind you, it definately made for fun scenes but I hadn't expected that this was how Episode 3 would start.

In the end, it really worked... when the movie just went plum dark half-way across... good lord, the atmosphere was just excellent and dark. The way how it was to end.

As for the whole 'Ani-becomes-vader' bit...

My opinion... It was extremely well done, quite a bit on how I might've imagined it. The saber battle between Obi-Wan and Anakin was bloody epic, and quite a good sight... and good lord, Obi-wan's final rantings against Anakin... it was the perfect way to end it. Kudos to heer Gregor for that.

Liked that Anakin actually seemed to faintly struggle at the start when they were putting the armor on him, but gave up in the end. Good credit to James Earl Jones as well, I liked how Vader-in-suit sounded pitiful and lost. I liked the 'nooooo' bit, didn't really see anything wrong with it.
The answer is maybe.
2005-05-19, 10:06 AM #24
I saw ep 3 last night and I thought it was awesome. It really was a great film. It was definitely better than ep1 and 2.
/fluffle
2005-05-19, 12:04 PM #25
So I saw the midnight showing as well.

I came dressed in a cape and with my homemade lightsaber attached to my belt (pics later), and a bunch of people dressed up. Most just in Jedi robes, but we had a kick*** Chewbacca costume, several Darth Vaders, a Padme (in the EPII Execution garb), and an R2D2. The guy painted and cut up a trashcan and was wandering around the theatre.

Apparently in the lobby there were a few professionals beating each other with padded swords, but I was in the theatre at that point. Most people had some form of lightsaber, either homemade or bought, the hilt or a lightup stick.

My take on the movie
Best of the prequals. A little bit of a let down, but overall it was decent.

Most of the padme/anikan scenes were wretched, almost as bad as the "Sand" line of EPII. Hayden acted pretty well, and Ewan McGregor (s?) was the saving grace of the film, (acting wise) for sure.

I was dissapointed in how they portrayed Palpatine. After he openly turned to the dark side, he was really a pretty big pansy. He was practically crying while Mace was pointing his lightsaber at him, and several other parts he made me feel like he just wasn't the Dark Lord of the Sith...

Final saber battle was great, and I really liked the Yoda/Palpatine duel

Didn't like how Padme died. Also, she SO did not look 9 months pregnant. She looked perhaps 4, maybe 5 months at the very most, and yet the babies came out fully grown.

The part on Kashyyk seemed like it was thrown in just for poops and giggles. While it was cool, and I guess it served as a reason for getting Yoda off planet.. still. It seemed gimmicky.

I HATED the humor in the beginning. I mean, it was funny, but it was completely out of place. The occasionally humor is fine, but .. seriously. The things the droids were saying, the oil slick being set on fire, the hiding the speaker in himself.. all completely out of place.

I loved, however, the music. It was quite immersing.

Overall, I guess I'd give it a 6/10. Maybe a 6.5.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2005-05-19, 12:06 PM #26
I just got back from the cinema

A M A Z I N G

A
M
A
Z
I
N
G

A M A Z I N G

- It redeemed the other prequels, and for me, a very emotional movie. The Love scenes were better, and a lot of loss and sadness.... (stopped talking due to no spoiling)
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2005-05-19, 12:11 PM #27
Surprised no one has posted this review yet.
2005-05-19, 12:13 PM #28
My thoughts: the movie was worth waiting outside for all those hours. It is easily the second best movie of the entire saga. There were a few bad lines of dialogue, but I felt that in this go round the actors carried them out better. Moreso than the other two prequels combined I felt goosebumps more, there were some scenes that just hit me incredibly hard. The middle part of the film with Anakin turning and the executions of th Jedi I thought held the best sequences. So yes, I was very satisfied with the movie, it redeemed the prequel trilogy, and was a fitting "end" to the saga.
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2005-05-19, 12:33 PM #29
I came out of watching it with the same bad feeling similar to requiem for a dream...

While some of the movie was corny, it seemed to appeal directly to the fans who were upset with the first two. A complete reversal of how I felt when I and II ended. I guess if that was there "purpose," to be entertaining to kids and make the universe seem happy and surreal it did. Episode III is darker then I could have imagined... especially the last time Anakin was in the Jedi Temple.

But when you put things in focus Anakin to me didn't come off as the ruthless "Darth Vader" as we see boarding Leia's ship in IV but at the end of III more of a "I messed up so bad that I ruined basically everything" and if I were him death would seem more a sweeter relief then continuing his Sith ways. It just seems that Anakin was a good enough of person to have realized how wrong his actions were and learn his lesson.

As far as acting goes it was an extremely mixed bag. There were some hair raising parts delivered by most of the cast but there was still some of the I and II dialogue that was ridiculous.

Either way George Lucas should have never parted ways with form IV and V producer Gary Kurtz. He seemed to even the balance of crazy Star Wars dreams that Lucas had (ewoks anyone?) and made it much more of real movies where pain and emotion are much more important then a cluster of alien beings and universes. Kurtz dream for the franchise was much more compelling and realistic. It is sad that Episode III is the movie that I and II should have been at least since there will NEVER be another Star Wars movie EVER again.
2005-05-19, 1:17 PM #30
i enjoyed the assault on the jedi temple, when the newly named vader walks into the jedi council chambers and a bunch of kids come out of hiding, and they look at him and go "master Skywalker, there's too many, what will we do" then vader wipes out his saber and the look of shock on the kids face just before the camera cuts was awesome...

the nooooo when he became vader near the end seemed kinda cheesy to me and it sounded mroe like Dark Helmet then Vader.

anikans transition to the dark side also seemed a little rushed... it was kinda like well, I just basicly killed windu guess I must be evil now... he accepted the title of vader rather quickly and took to his new roles a little two fast.

I think this movie would have worked out a little better if more of this movie was in clone wars, then the transition wouldn't be as fast.
The Gas Station
2005-05-19, 1:38 PM #31
I thought it was a great movie, and I think many people across the internet expected too much. Giving this a 6/10? What in the world did you want from the prequels?

If you look at the original trilogy, there is still stupid humor that is out of place (Yoda, the jedi master, going through R2-D2's storage compartment like a 5 year old), there is mediocre acting, and there is lame dialogue.

It is quite a weak excuse to say that with a different director it would've been better movies. For all we know, it could've been worst with him just trying to emulate the originals.

I enjoyed all 6 movies, and was entertained.

If people can't take jokes in the movie, than maybe they should look back at the originals too and see how the humor was there as well.
2005-05-19, 1:40 PM #32
But the humour in the OT was much more subtle. No "this is such a drag" type comments from c3po. More witty remarks from Han.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2005-05-19, 1:46 PM #33
Yeah, Luke banging his head on Yoda's hut was so funny!

R2-D2 falling into a pile of droids though was flat out lame though... [/end sarcasm]
2005-05-19, 2:06 PM #34
I, personally, loved it. It makes the other prequels look like junk, and it still ties them nicely into the OT. I have to say, though, that the funniest thing was my brother and I, who know the backstory behind everything, bursting out laughing at some obscure part in the movie and noone else in the theater getting it. I also liked all the symbolism GL put in there, especially how Yoda and Palpatine's duel demolished the Senate chamber. Symbolizes the end of the republic.

I agree with people about vader's "nooooo". Kinda cheesy, but still fits fairly well with the rest of the movie. I live in a small town, so the closest we got to costumes were people fighting with lightsabers outside the theater before the doors opened. I also pre-ordered tickets and got to go in early, so I had a seat pretty close to the middle of the theater. It was awesome, and I've been hyper all day, despite running on less than four hours of sleep.
Tomorrow holds a brighter future.
2005-05-19, 2:15 PM #35
OK, I have a question about the end of the film.

What the hell was Yoda talking about at the end? Comntinued training? Special technique from the nether-regions of the force? I assume what he's talking about is that die-then-dissapear-and-turn-transparent-blue trick they pull off later... but what does it have to do with Qui-Gon Jinn? He didn't dissappear. I was expecting Qui-Gon to show up all blue, but the movie just... ended. I don't understand that whole conversation between Yoda and Obi-Wan after Organa leaves.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN?
2005-05-19, 5:06 PM #36
Extended edition anyone? :em321:
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2005-05-19, 5:24 PM #37
Hombre, I thought the same thing. I think it was trying to tie up that lose end as well. In other words, it explains why Obi-wan was able to come back and speak to luke once he died. And there was that scene where Qui-gon is heard in Episode 2.
2005-05-19, 5:35 PM #38
Quote:
Originally posted by Demon_Nightmare

If you look at the original trilogy, there is still stupid humor that is out of place (Yoda, the jedi master, going through R2-D2's storage compartment like a 5 year old), there is mediocre acting, and there is lame dialogue.
If people can't take jokes in the movie, than maybe they should look back at the originals too and see how the humor was there as well.

Oh, I'm not saying that the humor is a bad thing. I laughed when R2 did his oil thing , I'm just saying there was way too much of it in the first 20 minutes of the movie, and it wasn't the subtle humor of the original series.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2005-05-19, 6:32 PM #39
the humor of the first 2 was just aweful... jar jar, the antics of 3po...

3po seemed alot more like himself in this version, he seemed alot mroe like the 3PO we know and love... but there was alot of gags in the first 20 min of the moive and it did kinda break the action going on elsewhere on the ship.
The Gas Station
2005-05-19, 6:48 PM #40
Ha they forgot something, in ep 6 leia says she remembers padme, in ep 3 padme dies after their birth.... how can you remember that?

my rating : TOTALLY WICKED!!!

↑ Up to the top!