Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Woman counter-sues the RIAA
Woman counter-sues the RIAA
2005-10-02, 12:24 AM #1
Article

'bout frickin' time.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2005-10-02, 12:30 AM #2
YES.
2005-10-02, 1:03 AM #3
It's about time that something like this happened. The RIAA has been getting away with this s*** for far too long and they all belong in hell as far as I'm concerned.
2005-10-02, 7:10 AM #4
Ah, great. It'll be interesting to see what comes out of this.
2005-10-02, 7:27 AM #5
Bout damn time.
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2005-10-02, 8:15 AM #6
Doesn't the DMCA protect the RIAA in this kind of situation?
DuraCleave™
- SM Nesseight | Chris (XFire profile)
- Sith Mercenaries
2005-10-02, 8:51 AM #7
Originally posted by Nesseight:
Doesn't the DMCA protect the RIAA in this kind of situation?
What, illegally accessing a woman's computer and then suing her for hundreds of thousands of dollars on bogus charges? I sure as hell hope not.
2005-10-02, 8:55 AM #8
I don't think the DMCA protects the RIAA in any shape or form here...
2005-10-02, 9:09 AM #9
Yay.
2005-10-02, 10:30 AM #10
Pats Limewire OH NO THERE COMING *Strangled screams
2005-10-02, 10:54 AM #11
I wish a big company would do something illegal to my computer so I could sue.

Oh well. :(
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-10-02, 12:12 PM #12
Well, her daughter is busted for being up at 4:43 am and downloading hiphop music.
2005-10-02, 12:31 PM #13
No, it was "gangsta rap".
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2005-10-02, 12:43 PM #14
Nay, they called it gangster rap. Al Capone hittin the rhymes.
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2005-10-02, 1:52 PM #15
[QUOTE=Connection Problem]Well, her daughter is busted for being up at 4:43 am and downloading hiphop music.[/QUOTE]...

How many eight year old girls do you know that listen to "gangsta" rap?
2005-10-02, 1:58 PM #16
? I do
2005-10-02, 2:08 PM #17
Originally posted by Primate:

Who do you think MTV is targetting?
2005-10-02, 4:36 PM #18
Quote:
claimed that they had proof that Ms. Andersen’s IPA had been “viewed” downloading and distributing over 1,000 audio files

Whats wrong with this line?
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2005-10-02, 4:52 PM #19
[QUOTE=Commander 598]Whats wrong with this line?[/QUOTE]

It doesn't have a period at the end and the first word isn't capitalized!
2005-10-02, 4:58 PM #20
This is almost as good as the college student that took on Microsoft (he actually won). I'm sickened by the bully-tactics corporate America uses to take advantage of people. I suppose this is the nature of capitalism.
2005-10-02, 6:40 PM #21
Originally posted by MentatMM:
This is almost as good as the college student that took on Microsoft (he actually won). I'm sickened by the bully-tactics corporate America uses to take advantage of people. I suppose this is the nature of capitalism.

The RIAA is more like an organized crime syndicate than a legit corporation or trade group.

For example, they are performing extortion, which is grossly illegal. They are filing suits with no physical evidence, and using a threat of litigation to make people give them money. Think about it: If the RIAA was interested in justice, they would take the case to court instead of getting a settlement every time. This is the RIAA's offer: Pay up or we will get even more from you in court.
2005-10-02, 6:42 PM #22

Nature? No. Bi-product. It happens, but every system has it's...shortfalls.
D E A T H
2005-10-03, 10:22 AM #23

what case are you talking about?

anyway why is there no source for this? this is some blog site, I don't see any credibility in this until I see a news article or some actual source, don't get too excited
2005-10-03, 10:24 AM #24
There's quite a few news articles, actually. This is just the first link I found, I have seen multiple acrticles about it since then.
$do || ! $do ; try
2005-10-03, 10:57 AM #25
Originally posted by Darkjedibob:
There's quite a few news articles, actually. This is just the first link I found, I have seen multiple acrticles about it since then.

alright then, this is good (i did look up and found the actual suit)

I hope this goes well.
2005-10-03, 12:24 PM #26
Quote:
what case are you talking about?

The Kent State student that Microsoft tried to bully. They wouldn't allow him to return some retail software so he sold it on eBay. They sued, he countersued, and the last I heard, they settled out of court (he said he'd drop his countersuit if they paid for his court expenses and apologized).
2005-10-03, 6:09 PM #27
About time the RIAA was put on the defensive!

Originally posted by Primate:
What, illegally accessing a woman's computer and then suing her for hundreds of thousands of dollars on bogus charges? I sure as hell hope not.

In addition, if her computer was hacked into and watched, the files can't legally be admitted as evidence. The RIAA would have no way of proving she's guilty without the files.

I know that because I took civics last year in high school.
Made you look
2005-10-03, 6:13 PM #28
It depends how RIAA aquired the evidence. If they put something on her computer then it cannot be used.

If however, they just scanned the p2p networks and found her computer sharing 1000s of mp3's then the evidence was not obtained illegally. Imagine if a website was offering the 1000 mp3 files for download. Anyone can visit the site and download the files. Which could count as evidence. The same applies here.

Not that it's a bad thing that the woman is counter-sueing but i dont think she'll win.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2005-10-04, 10:07 AM #29
Another article
This one has links in it, too. Looks like this may be a growing trend.
$do || ! $do ; try
2005-10-04, 12:18 PM #30
Originally posted by TheJkWhoSaysNi:
It depends how RIAA aquired the evidence. If they put something on her computer then it cannot be used.

If however, they just scanned the p2p networks and found her computer sharing 1000s of mp3's then the evidence was not obtained illegally. Imagine if a website was offering the 1000 mp3 files for download. Anyone can visit the site and download the files. Which could count as evidence. The same applies here.

Not that it's a bad thing that the woman is counter-sueing but i dont think she'll win.

They basically used a santry bot in an attempt to gain "substantial evidence." Simply monitoring someone sharing files won't tell you anything (even if you can get their IP address. Most dial-ups assign a new IP each time you log on and even if someone has broadband, it's easy to submit a request to get your IP change).

Unfortunately for the RIAA, they used a very illegal method. The only legal way is to file a report with the local police department, have them obtain a warrent, and have them monitor the alleged's computer....but no police department has that type and amount of resource the waste on such allegation.
"The solution is simple."
2005-10-04, 12:24 PM #31
Anybody have a pic of the head of the RIAA? I wanna know if he's got a little smudge under his nose.
2005-10-04, 2:17 PM #32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primate

Like the music or not, hip hop is the fastest growing and most selling/popular music nowadays. It's no wonder more younger kids are exposed to gangsta rap.

I dunno about the rest of the cities in the world, but I can safely say that about 98% of Toronto. To answer your question.
2005-10-04, 2:28 PM #33
Originally posted by Temperamental:
...hip hop is the fastest growing and most selling/popular music nowadays...

Fastest growing? Most popular? Most-selling? Where are you getting these figures?
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-10-04, 2:44 PM #34
Originally posted by Wolfy:
Fastest growing? Most popular? Most-selling? Where are you getting these figures?

His ***.
D E A T H
2005-10-04, 2:45 PM #35
His rat? LOL
2005-10-04, 2:51 PM #36
I can see his point that it's the Golden Age of Hip Hop, but most people don't just listen to hip hop, and if you think that's true, get out more often.
2005-10-04, 5:20 PM #37
Most people don't listen to hip hop. But it is the most widely used form of music today.

Quote:
His ***.

Like everything else I say.. :rolleyes:
2005-10-04, 5:56 PM #38
Originally posted by Anovis:
I can see his point that it's the Golden Age of Hip Hop, but most people don't just listen to hip hop, and if you think that's true, get out more often.

I doubt he thinks that. I think what he's trying to say is that hip hop has become the new "pop" music, and the mainstream stuff has. It's all materialistic, catchy trash. The golden age of hiphop was the 80's and 90's...it's gone straight down the toilet now. And hip hop is pretty damn popular these days. Just watch tv. It's influences stretch all throughout the media from commercials to mtv and reality shows.
2005-10-04, 6:00 PM #39
[QUOTE=Raoul Duke]I doubt he thinks that. I think what he's trying to say is that hip hop has become the new "pop" music, and the mainstream stuff has. It's all materialistic, catchy trash. The golden age of hiphop was the 80's and 90's...it's gone straight down the toilet now. And hip hop is pretty damn popular these days. Just watch tv. It's influences stretch all throughout the media from commercials to mtv and reality shows.[/QUOTE]

Rap is most excellent these days...you just haven't been listening to the right stuff. Though I do agree about the golden age.

Temp--when you say 98% of any town listens to hiphop/rap, you're...well...wrong in the head. Not to mention the fact that you've not posted one statistic, however credible, in all of your ludicrous claims.
D E A T H
2005-10-04, 6:19 PM #40
sweetness
A dream is beautiful because it remains a dream.

↑ Up to the top!