Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Women: The Hidden Misery
Women: The Hidden Misery
2006-05-03, 10:10 AM #1
So, to paraphrase what housemate and I calculated last night, women spend more than a year of their lives in pure misery. How did we come to this? Let's look...

So the menstrual cycle...if you don't know what it is whatever. You're a loser. Go take a 6th grade science course or something. Any ways, the menstrual cycle (or periods.) The average girl now starts her cycle at 12 (we'll make 10 to simplify the math) and on average starts menopause around 50. So assuming once a month out of the 40 years a woman has her period that one day is pure misery that would be 16 months total.

40 x 12 / 30 = 16 months (1 year and 1/3)

And that's just assuming one day out of a woman's monthly cycle brings her hell. For most it would average 2-3 days. This does not take into account pregnancy or randomly skipped periods. We did go through and look at the average pregnancy and such, but it didn't make that much of an significant difference.

The whole point the average woman spends a year+ of their life in total and utter misery. (We should definately get more sick days than men.) Sure, it's technically unavoidable but we can still complain. :em321:

[CENTER]"Evolution should be fired." -- Laura, my housemate[/CENTER]

Discuss.
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
2006-05-03, 10:14 AM #2
Not at all relevant, but when i read that title I though:

"Women : The Hidden Misery"

"Hold the phone, there's one over there."

:p
nope.
2006-05-03, 10:20 AM #3
Is it really that miserable. Please forgive me, but I uh.. don't know why exactly it makes you so miserable. I mean yeah I technically know what a period is, but is it painful or what?
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-05-03, 10:21 AM #4
Well, on the plus side, women generally live longer.
Sorry for the lousy German
2006-05-03, 10:33 AM #5
Originally posted by Freelancer:
Is it really that miserable. Please forgive me, but I uh.. don't know why exactly it makes you so miserable. I mean yeah I technically know what a period is, but is it painful or what?

On average it's just a miserable experience. Mood swings, pain (cramps (as my roommate just described it "if cramps had a Godzilla...), general body pain, headaches)...it's like your body and mind just stop. For example, my roommate could not walk yesterday and had to miss most her classes the week before finals. I know a few weeks ago I was at work and had bad cramps. I asked if any of the other girls had Midol and they didn't. Suddenly I felt all alone and cried. Then a few minutes later I was extremely happy. Mood swings. :gbk:
2006-05-03, 10:33 AM #6
Guys have to sit through countless amounts of tampon commercials and these aren't just once a month, they're constant! We are so even.
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2006-05-03, 10:34 AM #7

There's bleeding involved, and dealing with their bodies/hormones saying "WHAT THE HELL? ANOTHER HUMAN LIFE NOT HAPPENING! DO YOU HATE THE HUMAN RACE YOU LIFE-HATER?" I'd imagine something along those lines doesn't make things fun, but I ain't a woman, so I couldn't say for sure.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2006-05-03, 10:34 AM #8
Originally posted by Jedigreedo:
Guys have to sit through countless amounts of tampon commercials and these aren't just once a month, they're constant! We are so even.

Now think about having to actaully use a tampon. Seriously. Think about it.
2006-05-03, 10:35 AM #9
In the commercials I've seen the women always demonstrate it by putting it in the palm of their hands. Doesn't look so hard to me. :rolleyes:
Sorry for the lousy German
2006-05-03, 10:48 AM #10
And blue liquid.

Blue.

What's up with the blue liquid?
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2006-05-03, 10:49 AM #11
You didn't know it was blue? :rolleyes:
2006-05-03, 10:50 AM #12
It's not hidden, you share it with everyone around you :p
2006-05-03, 11:04 AM #13
Why do you have a box of tampons?

I uh... I get really bad nose bleeds?
2006-05-03, 11:07 AM #14
[QUOTE=Vincent Valentine]Why do you have a box of tampons?

I uh... I get really bad nose bleeds?[/QUOTE]

I'm feel ashamed that I know where that's from. :(
2006-05-03, 11:19 AM #15
She's the Man! I saw it with a bunch of friends so it was less embarrassing.
DO NOT WANT.
2006-05-03, 11:26 AM #16
I bet females could be designed better so that this doesn't happen. Like pet dogs. They don't bleed all over my carpet once a month.... do they?
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-05-03, 11:28 AM #17
there's always birth control...
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2006-05-03, 11:29 AM #18
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
there's always birth control...

the pill doesn't stop periods. for most women they make them shorter and less painful, but it doesn't stop them.
<spe> maevie - proving dykes can't fly

<Dor> You're levelling up and gaining more polys!
2006-05-03, 11:30 AM #19
Plus you have all the side effects from birth control...

I bet females could be designed better so that this doesn't happen. Like pet dogs. They don't bleed all over my carpet once a month.... do they?

A lot of that is from spaying. They don't have a uterus or ovaries to even go into heat. Anyways, different physiology but still, an unspayed dog would bleed everywhere every few months or whatever their cycle is.
2006-05-03, 11:31 AM #20
uhh, really?

My friends/sisters have said things to me along the lines of "I haven't had a period for 6 months cause I'm on the pill"

Am I misunderstanding?

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2006-05-03, 11:33 AM #21

Working on it.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-05-03, 11:34 AM #22
uhh, really?

My friends/sisters have said things to me along the lines of "I haven't had a period for 6 months cause I'm on the pill"

Am I misunderstanding?

It could have just lessened it so much that they wouldn't have even noticed it. But the pill isn't supposed to stop it altogether, just make it more regular in a sense.
2006-05-03, 12:01 PM #23
Originally posted by LividDK27:
It's not hidden, you share it with everyone around you :p

It is hidden most of the time. But every month it isn't.
2006-05-03, 12:04 PM #24

A friend of mine once described it as being like someone ripping her insides out. :eek:
2006-05-03, 12:05 PM #25
our pain... we have to put up with women
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2006-05-03, 12:10 PM #26
uhh, really?

Am I misunderstanding?

Most contraceptive pills work on a cycle. You take the pill everyday for 21 days, then have a 7 day break, and during that break you get your period. If you chose to, you can skip the break, and take multiple packs back to back, but it seriously messes with your hormones, and you can end up bleeding randomly - not good.

Perhaps the girls you're referring to are taking different pills, but from what I understand, when the pill was first developed, it was suggested that it could be made so as to stop periods altogether. This was challenged so strongly by Catholic groups that the pill was then designed specifically to keep periods.

(This is all from hazy memory, sorry for inaccuracies)
<spe> maevie - proving dykes can't fly

<Dor> You're levelling up and gaining more polys!
2006-05-03, 12:11 PM #27
Depending on the hormone levels, the pill can lower the frequency that much. Different varieties have different purposes.
2006-05-03, 12:12 PM #28
Originally posted by quesadilla_red:
It could have just lessened it so much that they wouldn't have even noticed it. But the pill isn't supposed to stop it altogether, just make it more regular in a sense.
Only if they followed the placebo cycle properly. I know and know of women who intentionally skip periods because they don't feel like having one.

Buncha whiners. Men have it worse off. Here are my calculations:

If it's 3.1% likely that a random woman will be having her period at any given time, and the average male encounters approximately 20-30 of them over the course of his day, it is 61.1% likely that this day will be the worst day of his life.

61.1% of his life. The average male in North America lives for about 72 years.

(72 years) * 61.1% = 44.0 years.

Yeah, that's right. Men have it 44 times worse off than you.

Edit: For SCIENCE!
2006-05-03, 12:23 PM #29
those calculations seem sound to me. :p

2006-05-03, 12:32 PM #30
Your calculations assume that women are only *****y towards men during their periods. I find it highly possible that they are *****y towards one another as well.
2006-05-03, 12:46 PM #31
Shhhh! just go with it... :em321:
Naked Feet are Happy Feet
:omgkroko:
2006-05-03, 12:46 PM #32
ha! is it painful lol

basically its the lining within the uterus detaching itself and bleeding from out of you (sorry for the graphics boys) I get moderate cramps, meaning at times I just want to curl up in bed with a heating blanket and left alone.

My sister and cousin for instance get them so bad they had to get meds for the pain. Some women are more sensitive and can feel it stronger. To the pt. where my sis has been in tears lol is it painful...yes

You have mood swings, that U cant control. One sec. u'll be happy, the next u'll be pissed, the next u'll be crying. You have heat flashes, suddenly things are burning up. Personally food gets heightened. For example I cant have chocolate on those days. It tastes too rich, extremely sharp, and gives me cramps, yet right before I get it, i'll get cravings for it like woah.

Personally those who only get it for 3 days are lucky, yeah try 5 days. O well. so is life, in short, yes it sucks
2006-05-03, 12:49 PM #33
ugh, it feels like your uterus just decides to wage war on the rest of your body. Sometimes it's not so bad, just mild cramps that make you just not want to do anything, other times they can land you on the floor crying

and Jon'C - women snap at other women as well. It has been my experience that women are ncier to men than they are to each other. again, just overall.
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2006-05-03, 1:48 PM #34
Originally posted by sugarless5:
...Jon'C - women snap at other women as well. It has been my experience that women are ncier to men than they are to each other. again, just overall.

agreed 100%
2006-05-03, 2:00 PM #35
every time a woman doesn't say what she means or won't give a straight answer it TAKES A FEW YEARS OFF OUR LIFE AND MAKES US GO BALD FASTER (because we grab our hair and yank it out in frustration)
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2006-05-03, 2:03 PM #36
Why do we open doors for them, anyway? They should be opening doors for us. They live longer.
2006-05-03, 2:06 PM #37
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
every time a woman doesn't say what she means or won't give a straight answer it TAKES A FEW YEARS OFF OUR LIFE AND MAKES US GO BALD FASTER (because we grab our hair and yank it out in frustration)

No kidding.
Pissed Off?
2006-05-03, 2:09 PM #38
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:

He speaks truth.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-05-03, 2:12 PM #39
[http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y158/MrHombre/man_woman.jpg]
2006-05-03, 2:32 PM #40
Quote:
This was challenged so strongly by Catholic groups that the pill was then designed specifically to keep periods.

WHAT!?

I want someone to point out to me how stopping a period is a sin against god. I know Catholics are anti-contraceptives, but.. still!
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!

↑ Up to the top!