Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → PS3 ($500 - 20GB No HDMI Support / $600 - 60GB HDMI Support)
PS3 ($500 - 20GB No HDMI Support / $600 - 60GB HDMI Support)
2006-05-08, 8:13 PM #1
If that didn't piss you off, maybe this will. Now we know why the PS3 wanted to re-make their controller. It isn't the same as the Wii controler, but you can tell they are trying as hard as they can to rip it off. Viva Nintendo.

Quote:
IGN.com
6:33 -- Kuturagi takes the stage. He introduces the PS3 controlled ... and it's the PS3 controller?!? It looks exactly the same, but it has many new function. Most importantly, it has "6 degrees" of motion-sensing movement. (Um, Nintendo, what do you have to say about this?) You can move it up and down, you have pitch and yaw and roll movement, and it's all still wireless and, in fact, lighter than PS2's DualShock.

Quote:
1UP.com
6:32 P.M.: Ken Kutaragi is out showing off the last PlayStation controller, and basically looks like a sliver version of the Dual Shock 2. What's different? Sony has basically taken Nintendo's idea of a movable controller, and introduced the gyroscope technology into the PlayStation 3 controller. Yes, you read that right.

Kutaragi is looking smug, and who knows what must be going through the mind of Nintendo right now.

There's now a demonstration of the technology based on the Warhawk sequel that was first shown at last year's E3. The game has obviously made big strides since it was displayed a year ago, and appears to take full advantage of the controller's gyroscope technology -- though the demonstrator is obviously having some difficulty controlling.

Quote:
Gamespot.com
LOS ANGELES--When it was revealed at last year's E3, one of the biggest complaints about the PlayStation 3 was its controller. Shaped eerily like Batman's Batarang weapon, the controller's crescent-shaped design was not well-received by gamers.

At today's pre-E3 press conference, Sony demoed games on PS3 dev kits with a new controller--a wired, silver joystick that looked very similar to the PlayStation's DualShock controller.

Later in the press conference, Ken Kutaragi pulled a similar looking controller out of his jacket--this one without wires.

Phil Harrison joined Kutaragi on stage to show what it can do, saying that its "secret" couldn't wait any longer. The controller is motion sensitive. Harrison said it has "six degrees of freedom" with no external sensor required. The controller will come standard with the PS3.

The president of Incognito Games used the controller to demonstrate its capabilities with Warhawk, a PS3 title that was announced last year.
Think while it's still legal.
2006-05-08, 8:27 PM #2
1) The PS3 is fairly well priced, IMO.
2) The controller is rumored to be very dual-shock esque. It may draw a few elements (that the Revolution really didn't revolutionize--gyros in controllers to sense tilt have been around since before then), but it's still the same controller. They're not ripping off anything. Get your head out of your ***.
3) They wanted to remake the controller because of the EXCEEDINGLY bad press that the original design got. It had nothing to do with nintendo.
4) Quit being a fanboy.
D E A T H
2006-05-08, 8:29 PM #3
Just becuase he is useing a cool idea doesn't mean hes evil.
2006-05-08, 8:30 PM #4
Quote:
1) The PS3 is fairly well priced, IMO.
2) The controller is rumored to be very dual-shock esque. It may draw a few elements (that the Revolution really didn't revolutionize--gyros in controllers to sense tilt have been around since before then), but it's still the same controller. They're not ripping off anything. Get your head out of your ***.
3) They wanted to remake the controller because of the EXCEEDINGLY bad press that the original design got. It had nothing to do with nintendo.
4) Quit being a fanboy.

Your ignorance is going to make my goddamn head explode. Shut your mouth. It's OBVIOUS that they got the motion idea from Nintendo. Every gaming site in the world and every person except for you agrees. It has nothing to do with being a fanboy. Once again, shut your face.
2006-05-08, 8:32 PM #5
Shut up! You guys are all dumb! I HATE you!
2006-05-08, 8:36 PM #6
Haha, consoles.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2006-05-08, 8:37 PM #7
[QUOTE=Victor Van Dort]Your ignorance is going to make my goddamn head explode. Shut your mouth. It's OBVIOUS that they got the motion idea from Nintendo. Every gaming site in the world and every person except for you agrees. It has nothing to do with being a fanboy. Once again, shut your face.[/QUOTE]

Just like Nintendo got the idea to us CDs for the Game Cube from Sony, right? :rolleyes:

Seriously, so what? It's the next step forward in controller technology. I gather that you'd ***** about the contoller not having anything new if they didn't make a change and go around spouting off about the Revolution controller being awesome.
Pissed Off?
2006-05-08, 8:38 PM #8
[QUOTE=Victor Van Dort]Your ignorance is going to make my goddamn head explode. Shut your mouth. It's OBVIOUS that they got the motion idea from Nintendo. Every gaming site in the world and every person except for you agrees. It has nothing to do with being a fanboy. Once again, shut your face.[/QUOTE]
Ever been in a flight sim? Ever SEEN a flight sim?

Nintendo didn't originate the idea. Hell, who knows, Sony never even unveiled anything but a paperweight of the last controller--who's to say they weren't planning it from the beginning.

Also: 1 feature != ripping off. If they suddenly made the controller a pointing device, and added extensions, then they'd be ripping them off. Seriously, come back with something other than "omg ignorant shut ur face I'm right ur wrong lolz".

Edit:
Originally posted by Avenger:
Just like Nintendo got the idea to us CDs for the Game Cube from Sony, right? :rolleyes:

Seriously, so what? It's the next step forward in controller technology. I gather that you'd ***** about the contoller not having anything new if they didn't make a change and go around spouting off about the Revolution controller being awesome.

Thank you
D E A T H
2006-05-08, 8:38 PM #9
$500 isn't a bad price. $600 is. Also, for what the PS3 is giving people for $500, it's a waste.

Quote:
Looking at the official press site of SCEA, we noticed that the PS3 with the 20 gigabyte hard drive seemed to lack HDMI support. This seems to be confirmed by an offical press release from SCEA, which indicates via comparison between the two systems. However, it also indicates that the 20 gigabyte system won't have Memory Stick, SD or Compact Flash reading capability or WiFi support.

So basically, if you purchase the $500 PS3 you get screwed.
2006-05-08, 8:39 PM #10
OMG, the controller has buttons!!! They're ripping of the button idea!!!!

That's how stupid your argument sounds, VVD.
Pissed Off?
2006-05-08, 8:42 PM #11
[QUOTE=Victor Van Dort]$500 isn't a bad price. $600 is. Also, for what the PS3 is giving people for $500, it's a waste.

So basically, if you purchase the $500 PS3 you get screwed.[/QUOTE]
1) Most people won't need HDMI. Most people won't be playing above 480p, because their TV's are too small, or won't support it (not HD). Even those playing at 720p won't be affected too badly, I'm sure.

2) I agree, the no-WiFi is bad, but the 20gb harddrive is easily replaceable (they even said in previous articles that you can replace it with any given harddrive as long as it's the right format, which will probably be ext3, which is free and easy to do) and cheaply replaceable, and as for memory card reading...uh...USB drive + 20 dollar memory card reader = win. And I'm sure WiFi extensions will be made available soon enough.

3) For people who are going to get the full usage out of the PS3, $600 isn't a bad price at all. They're going to be dropping thousands on their TV/surround sound/internet setup, so an extra hundred dollars won't mean ****.
D E A T H
2006-05-08, 8:44 PM #12
Dude, read the article. It even says he was looking smug. SMUG! It's so obviously a ripoff of the Wii.

Seriously, though, this isn't all that surprising, nor will it have much (if any) affect on Nintendo's sales. I'm sure as hell not buying a Wii based on the fact that it has a cool controller.
2006-05-08, 8:45 PM #13
<3 avenger
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2006-05-08, 8:46 PM #14
Quote:
Just like Nintendo got the idea to us CDs for the Game Cube from Sony, right?

The Super Nintendo and the Playstation were originally one console, Sony decided to branch off and make their own console. I think the CD idea was originally a Nintendo/Sony effort. (I could be wrong)

Quote:
Nintendo didn't originate the idea. Hell, who knows, Sony never even unveiled anything but a paperweight of the last controller--who's to say they weren't planning it from the beginning.

Nintendo made a controller that does things that haven't been done before in games. The Wii has a controller with pixel-perfect aiming capabilities. It's a fully 3D pointer. It's amazing.

Quote:
Also: 1 feature != ripping off. If they suddenly made the controller a pointing device, and added extensions, then they'd be ripping them off. Seriously, come back with something other than "omg ignorant shut ur face I'm right ur wrong lolz".

Playstation is OBVIOUSLY trying to rip off Nintendo. They weren't planning to make the PS3 controller have motion capabilities from the start. They would have said something about it at E3. Except, they didn't. Why? Nobody knew what the Wii was packing before last years E3 thats why. Sony has had a year to re-design it's controller, and I'd bet a ton of money that if Nintendo never released the Wii design that PS3's controller wouldn't have tilt capabilities. Also, I'll stop telling you to shut up and stop being ignorant when you actually take my advice. You storm into threads with the thick-headed idea that whatever you say is right, and everyone else is an uneducated moron. You treat people like crap and you troll and flame instead of debate. Until you learn to act like an adult I see no reason to treat you like one.
2006-05-08, 8:49 PM #15
By that logic, Nintendo ripped off the analog sticks from Sony. Don't think you ever complain(ed) about that.
Pissed Off?
2006-05-08, 8:50 PM #16
'Motion sensing' strikes me as rather different then the Revmote's abilities.

That is, the revmote can detect position in space as well as orientation... Either way, even if this technology can do what the revmote can do, I really do think the revmote is designed better for this sort of thing. I honestly believe that it'll feel more akward trying to move around in the air with a regular dualshock rather then something styled after a tv remote.

I'd be willing to bet there won't be many PS3 games that'll take advantage of it.

As for $600 for a console? Sorry, if I'm paying $600, it's not for something that limited compared to a PC.
2006-05-08, 8:52 PM #17
[QUOTE=Victor Van Dork]The Super Nintendo and the Playstation were originally one console, Sony decided to branch off and make their own console. I think the CD idea was originally a Nintendo/Sony effort. (I could be wrong)[/quote]
Sony was developing the technology, Nintendo approached them about it. Sony and Philips in fact. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playstation

[quote=Victor Van Dork]Nintendo made a controller that does things that haven't been done before in games. The Wii has a controller with pixel-perfect aiming capabilities. It's a fully 3D pointer. It's amazing.[/quote]
Remind me what this has to do with the gyroscope?

[quote=Victor Van Dork]Playstation is OBVIOUSLY trying to rip off Nintendo. They weren't planning to make the PS3 controller have motion capabilities from the start. They would have said something about it at E3. Except, they didn't. Why? Nobody knew what the Wii was packing before last years E3 thats why. Sony has had a year to re-design it's controller, and I'd bet a ton of money that if Nintendo never released the Wii design that PS3's controller wouldn't have tilt capabilities. Also, I'll stop telling you to shut up and stop being ignorant when you actually take my advice. You storm into threads with the thick-headed idea that whatever you say is right, and everyone else is an uneducated moron. You treat people like crap and you troll and flame instead of debate. Until you learn to act like an adult I see no reason to treat you like one.[/QUOTE]
1) Prove that Sony is trying to rip off Nintendo. You say "I bet, blah blah blah", I'm not saying you're wrong, maybe they did, I'm just saying you don't know, and you're jumping to conclusions. There's a lot of other mediums that used that featuer before Nintendo ever dreamed of doing it, and they probably got their inspiration from those sources.

2) Sony didn't reveal **** about the controller except it was wireless. Because it was still a paperweight, and, like the rest of the console, the details were nowhere near fleshed out.

3) I came in, debated with you, then called out your blatant fanboyism. I think everyone can agree I may have provoked it a little bit, but you took it way out of proportion. Chill the **** out, and stop being a fanboy, and maybe I won't have to call you out next time.

4) lolhypocrisy

Originally posted by MuffinArsonist:
As for $600 for a console? Sorry, if I'm paying $600, it's not for something that limited compared to a PC.

You can say it's a ripoff, say it's too expensive, but you canNOT say the PS3 is limited. It functions as a damn good media PC, if nothing else. And media PCs are in the thousands range. Not to mention you could probably use it as a regular computer, if you were that diehard set on it. You'd just have to use linux ;)
D E A T H
2006-05-08, 8:53 PM #18
I could have sworn there was a PC controller that had the gyro in it some 6 to 8 years ago, or, at least, it was in development.

Regardless, so what if Sony "ripped off" the gyro from Nintendo? The success or failure of the PS3 is not dominated by the existence of the gyro.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-05-08, 8:55 PM #19
Quote:
The Super Nintendo and the Playstation were originally one console, Sony decided to branch off and make their own console. I think the CD idea was originally a Nintendo/Sony effort. (I could be wrong)

*coughTurboGrafx16/SEGACDcough*
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2006-05-08, 8:58 PM #20
Quote:
We've known for over a year now that the Wii's input device is what makes it special. The Wiimote (as we've come accustomed to calling it), has the ability to point at any television with pixel-perfect control.

Hahaha

Wiimote

Just actually say it outload to yourself, and you'll officially sound like a stereotypical asian trying to say remote.
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2006-05-08, 9:05 PM #21
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Not to mention you could probably use it as a regular computer, if you were that diehard set on it. You'd just have to use linux ;)[/QUOTE]

So, wait, it really does have Linux on it? Or just compatible?
2006-05-08, 9:06 PM #22
Originally posted by MuffinArsonist:
So, wait, it really does have Linux on it? Or just compatible?

It runs Linux.
D E A T H
2006-05-08, 9:15 PM #23
Sorry SAJN, but I think Yoshi has you here. He has presented very valid and much more convincing points.

Re: Controller
Do I care if they "copied" off Wii? No, not really. We don't know for 100% sure that they even copied, but it doesn't matter to me. It's just better for the consumer.

I was getting really pissed at all the Xbox / Wii fanboys in the PS3 conference chat on Gamespot. They just kept going "RIPOFF XBOX LIVE!!!! RIPOFF WII CONTROLER!!". My response was, "So what?". It's just better for the person buying. It's the ultimate sign of fanboyism if they are complaining that some other company "stole" their idea. It benefits more people, yet you are mad?
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2006-05-08, 9:27 PM #24
Originally posted by TimeWolfOfThePast:
Haha, consoles.

Case Closed
2006-05-08, 9:28 PM #25
i find it funny that all of you are at each other's throats over two consoles that aren't even available to the public yet.
Current Maps | Newest Map
2006-05-08, 9:30 PM #26
$600? I paid about that much for my PC ffs.
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2006-05-08, 9:36 PM #27
Who cares if the controllers have similiarities? Six months after release some third party will make a controller that is compatible with both systems, just like the adapter that can get the (xbox, ps2, gc) controller to work on any of those three systems. Once that happens, everyone that is pissed off about something in the controller will buy the adapter and use the controller they want.
2006-05-08, 9:43 PM #28
[QUOTE=Blood Asp]i find it funny that all of you are at each other's throats over two consoles that aren't even available to the public yet.[/QUOTE]
I find it funny you call this "at each other's throats". It's a forum, no one's expressed hate towards anyone (well, with the exception of sajn), and it's just a debate about the pros/cons of the new consoles.
D E A T H
2006-05-08, 9:47 PM #29
[QUOTE=Blood Asp]i find it funny that all of you are at each other's throats over two consoles that aren't even available to the public yet.[/QUOTE]

This is more about hypocritical whining being destroyed by good debate.
Pissed Off?
2006-05-08, 9:56 PM #30
If you ever plan on using the PS3 to play Bluray movies on current HDTVs, or if you want to run 1080p on a future HDTV, you will need to buy the $600 model. Or you will need to buy yourself another PS3 later on.

There is nothing preventing them from releasing a single system. In fact, as far as I knew up until today there was only going to be one SKU for the PS3.
So now Sony is fragmenting their product line, while Microsoft is solidifying it. And unlike the Xbox 360 you will not be able to upgrade the lower-end PS3 into the higher-end model. HDMI and a memory card reader isn't something you can slap on the side, like the 360's hard drive.

I'm also not faulting Sony for the gyroscope deal, because it is a great idea and they'd have to be idiots not to adopt the feature. It is obviously, however, an attempt to recapture some "innovation" by cannibalizing Nintendo's new console. I have no doubts in my mind that Sony will soon make use of the gyroscope mandatory for PS3 titles, in much the same way that Nintendo requires some use of the touchscreen for DS games.
2006-05-08, 10:01 PM #31
Originally posted by Jon`C:
If you ever plan on using the PS3 to play Bluray movies on current HDTVs, or if you want to run 1080p on a future HDTV, you will need to buy the $600 model. Or you will need to buy yourself another PS3 later on.

Well, unless you don't mind watching DVD-quality movies instead of Blu-Ray quality movies.

There is nothing preventing them from releasing a single system. In fact, as far as I knew up until today there was only going to be one SKU for the PS3.
So now Sony is fragmenting their product line, while Microsoft is solidifying it. And unlike the Xbox 360 you will not be able to upgrade the lower-end PS3 into the higher-end model. HDMI and a memory card reader isn't something you can slap on the side, like the 360's hard drive.

You can slap a memory card reader on the side--if that's where the USB port is. They did it because it fragments the price--and the prices for the sony models are 200 dollars higher, which definitely makes the price point more of an issue than with the 360.

I'm also not faulting Sony for the gyroscope deal, because it is a great idea and they'd have to be idiots not to adopt the feature. It is obviously, however, an attempt to recapture some "innovation" by cannibalizing Nintendo's new console. I have no doubts in my mind that Sony will soon make use of the gyroscope mandatory for PS3 titles, in much the same way that Nintendo requires some use of the touchscreen for DS games.

I doubt it. They didn't make Analog sticks mandatory until the PS2, and even then, really, it was still up to developers. Sony's good about things like that.
D E A T H
2006-05-08, 10:36 PM #32
Yeah. It would be silly to make all the developers make their games us the gyroscope feature.
Pissed Off?
2006-05-08, 10:48 PM #33
Originally posted by TimeWolfOfThePast:
Haha, consoles.

and their fanboys.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-05-08, 11:05 PM #34
I heard they removed rumble from the controller since it screws with the tilt sensors. Not that I'd ever buy this thing anyway...
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2006-05-08, 11:16 PM #35
Originally posted by Darkjedibob:
I heard they removed rumble from the controller since it screws with the tilt sensors. Not that I'd ever buy this thing anyway...
No, they removed rumble from the controller because they were legally forced to. Patents are fun, kids.
2006-05-08, 11:18 PM #36
I couldn't care much less about PS3 or the Wii. I'm going 360.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2006-05-08, 11:20 PM #37
The MGS4 Trailer made me sad:(

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=10421&type=mov
2006-05-09, 2:30 AM #38
I've already got my 360, and I'm considering purchasing the Nintendo. The ONLY reason I have for even THINKING about picking up the PS3 is because it's essentially a $600 blu-ray player. As it stands now, the current price on a blu-ray player is projected at around $1000.
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
A community dedicated to discussing all things entertainment.
2006-05-09, 2:39 AM #39
No, they removed rumble from the controller because they were legally forced to. Patents are fun, kids.

How can that be? rumble controllers have been around for ages. And as far as I can recall sony was the first to have controllers that rumbled without an attachment.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2006-05-09, 3:07 AM #40
Originally posted by Deadman:
How can that be? rumble controllers have been around for ages. And as far as I can recall sony was the first to have controllers that rumbled without an attachment.
Nintendo and Logitech license the technology. Microsoft and Sony were both sued for violating Immersion's patent; Microsoft settled out of court and bought 10% of their company. Sony tried to fight it out and lost $91 million in the process.

Maybe next time someone decides to copy Nintendo, they'll check to see if the idea is patented first.

↑ Up to the top!