Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I Hate the Government
I Hate the Government
2004-06-29, 1:31 PM #1
I don't even make alot of money. This summer I'll make maybe $5000, working 9 hour days in an open pit gravel mine. Sounds like a wonderful job right?

But the government still feels it necessary to take 25% of my paycheck every month. For what? To waste of course, to start worthless committees and accomplish nothing, and to discuss how to tax the people some more.

If the government didn't steal my money, I'd make $7000 this summer.

But that's just the beginning of the taxing! It scales up until they're stealing well over half!

I just don't understand why so many people are complacent about this. The government steals your money, pisses it all away on worthless programs and institutions, and no one seems to even care!

I for one, hate the government.

------------------
Ω of 14
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2004-06-29, 1:35 PM #2
Er...isn't that called withholding? And won't get you get it back if they withhold more than you owe?

------------------
<ubuu> does hitler have a last name?
<jipe> .. yes, Ubuu, we're racist commy nazi jews, and we hate male pattern baldness
<Professor`K> Sorry, but half-way through your logic, my head exploded
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-06-29, 1:36 PM #3
Not near as much as they steal. Some of it is state tax and other things, for instance.

------------------
Ω of 14
2004-06-29, 1:53 PM #4
You should be able to get all but the social security with holdings back when you file your taxes next year, including the state stuff. As for stealing, I wouldn't quite call it that since that money pays for public services like police officers, fire fighters, roads, public transportation . . .

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-06-29, 1:53 PM #5
God, why am I complaining again?

------------------
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03

[This message has been edited by Ubuu (edited June 29, 2004).]

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-06-29, 1:56 PM #6
The amount you pay in tax is tiny compared to the amount you'd have to pay if you had to pay for all public services yourself. And anyway, you're paying so that those that can't afford those services normally can use them. You can survive just as well on $5000 as you can on $7000.

The cost of paying taxes towards the NHS is far less then the cost of having to pay for an operation or something if I break my leg.

Most of your taxes go to the military, anyway.

[This message has been edited by Mort-Hog (edited June 29, 2004).]
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-06-29, 2:05 PM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
And anyway, you're paying so that those that can't afford those services normally can use them. You can survive just as well on $5000 as you can on $7000.
</font>

That's not the point. That extra $2000 can buy a lot of stuff, and the governmental parasites should have no right to touch it. He earned that money, and it should not be leeched away by poor people. What do the poor people give him in return? Not jack s***. it isn't fair. He worked for it, let him keep it.

------------------
The University of North Carolina has finally found a network server that, although missing for four years, hasn't missed a packet in all that time. Try as they might, university administrators couldn't find the server. Working with Novell Inc., IT workers tracked it down by meticulously following cable until they literally ran into a wall. The server had been mistakenly sealed behind drywall by maintenance workers.
2004-06-29, 2:16 PM #8
This is why people join the republican party. And this why Rupublicans don't like the way Bush spends. He spends like a drunken democrat.
Man, though, I'm thinking we need to chuck the public schools. People could use the money to get them selves a way better education elce where. And people who don't use schools could sue the money to start a famliy or buy a new video card. Or... do fun stuff. We all like that.
2004-06-29, 2:19 PM #9
Why not stop paying your electricity and gas bills whilst your at it... I mean, you use their resources as much as the governments.

Alternatively, get a cash-in-hand job.

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.
2004-06-29, 2:21 PM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
That's not the point. That extra $2000 can buy a lot of stuff, and the governmental parasites should have no right to touch it. He earned that money, and it should not be leeched away by poor people. What do the poor people give him in return? Not jack s***. it isn't fair. He worked for it, let him keep it.

</font>

That money could put a poor person through school, who might then go on to study medicine and become a doctor, who might save his life after he's had some accident.

Or indeed that $2000 could give support to victims of domestic abuse or help single mothers. Is that not more important than him 'buying a lot of stuff'?

You and he are part of society and should gladly contribute to the further of that society. You do not live in a world all by your own. You look out for others and they look out for you.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-06-29, 2:25 PM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by oSiRiS:

I just don't understand why so many people are complacent about this. The government steals your money, pisses it all away on worthless programs and institutions, and no one seems to even care!

</font>

you're damn right. People ARE complacent. They hope the government won't do something bad like raise taxes, but they seem to forget that in theory, they collectively CONTROL the government. According to the consitution (which is getting to mean less and less these days) the government is at the mercy of the people, not the other way around like it is now.

People put up with lax and corrupt politicians b/c they're too busy doing stuff that doesn't really matter, like watching reality TV and other worthless s***.

If people exercised their voting power the way it was intended, politicians would need a change of pants every time their popularity ratings fell on election years.

------------------
The University of North Carolina has finally found a network server that, although missing for four years, hasn't missed a packet in all that time. Try as they might, university administrators couldn't find the server. Working with Novell Inc., IT workers tracked it down by meticulously following cable until they literally ran into a wall. The server had been mistakenly sealed behind drywall by maintenance workers.
2004-06-29, 2:32 PM #12
Quote:

That money could put a poor person through school, who might then go on to study medicine and become a doctor, who might save his life after he's had some accident.
</font>

>there are scholarships for stuff like that.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Or indeed that $2000 could give support to victims of domestic abuse or help single mothers. Is that not more important than him 'buying a lot of stuff'?
</font>

>its his money, he should be able to do what he wants with it. Let the poor people work for their money, he had to!
Quote:

You and he are part of society and should gladly contribute to the further of that society. You do not live in a world all by your own. You look out for others and they look out for you.
</font>

>the advancement of society is utter tripe. I was unemployed recently, and no one did s*** to help me, and I didn't really expect them to, but now i'm expected to do that for others? i don't think so. Society will not change until people stop expecting to get something for nothing. While he's at it, why doesn't he give away the other half of his paycheck to deadbeats? i'm sure they wil feel some gratitude for a split second before they piss it away on a hit of crack or whatever makes them happy for 5 minutes. Rather than giving people free handouts, it would be far better to teach them how to improve their lives and start making it on their own.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited June 29, 2004).]
2004-06-29, 2:34 PM #13
You shouldn't be forced to help people. YOu should do it out of your own free will.Besides someting like 70% goes to the stupid ruthlessly inefficient schools. You have to pay into that system even if your kids homeshcool, private school, or if you don't have kids. Besides many people dissagree with what thier teaching kids there. Then some goes to some stupid able body bum, who could work but would rather sit on the street and buy booze and crack when his check from the government comes in. We need Ragan back to cut spending again.
2004-06-29, 2:54 PM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
You shouldn't be forced to help people. YOu should do it out of your own free will.Besides someting like 70% goes to the stupid ruthlessly inefficient schools. </font>

Really.. "something like 70%"?

------------------
"Just remember -- No matter how bad things get, Northern Minnesota will always be there"
-- Garrison Keeler
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-06-29, 2:55 PM #15
Pagewizard, how to you expect a poor kid coming from the projects to get a scholarship to a school?

And how do you expect a single mother, one that is a victim of domestic abuse to get and hold a job?

------------------
"Just remember -- No matter how bad things get, Northern Minnesota will always be there"
-- Garrison Keeler
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-06-29, 3:15 PM #16
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fishstickz:
Pagewizard, how to you expect a poor kid coming from the projects to get a scholarship to a school?

>apply for it?

And how do you expect a single mother, one that is a victim of domestic abuse to get and hold a job?

>why would that be a problem? There are lots of s*** jobs anyone could get if they really needed the money.

</font>

------------------
2004-06-29, 3:17 PM #17
LOL! Well the president you seem to support so much in his foreign policy had to shell out tens, if not hundreds of billions of dollars to go to Iraq. Where do you think that money is coming from?
Think of it this way. You now support them financially. You should be happy.

Not only that, where do you think the money comes from to,
  • maintain thousands of miles of interstate highways and municipal roads
  • support under funded schools
  • supply the infrastructure so you can post here
  • help pay for all those poor people who cannot afford emergency medical care
  • purify the water that you just flushed down the toilet so you can drink it again
  • pay the police keep you and your neighbours safe
  • pay the firemen that rescue you and your neighbours
  • provide subsidies for the huge corporations that don't pay taxes because of loopholes
  • help with forign medical and food aid
  • pay for maintaining the city you live in.

There are 230,000,000 people in your country. Trying to keep things orderly is EXTREMELY expensive.

I never understood why people complain about taxes in the west.
We can have anything, ANYTHING, we want delivered to our doorsteps and that doesn't seem to be enough for some people.
If the government cut taxes, the first thing people like you would do would be to complain about what you don't get anymore.

oS, grow up and take a look around.

------------------
Pissed off?

[This message has been edited by Darth Evad (edited June 29, 2004).]
2004-06-29, 3:23 PM #18
Ahem.

YOU WILL GET THE MONEY BACK WHEN YOU FILE A TAX RETURN.

------------------
"Look at me! I'm Tracer! BLAHBLAHBLAH!"

-MBeggar
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-06-29, 3:30 PM #19
All those who say poor people should just work for their money, I hope you get laid off one day, have to sell your house, move to a ****ing **** hole of a neighbour hood, apply to every job you possible can and end up taking home $350/month, have to borrow close to $1000/month from someone who might not lend it to you becuase you should just get a job and work for your money because the possible lender had to, and look at the prospect of having to move your family into a vehicle because you can't afford the piece of **** place you're living in even though it's the cheapest **** place you could find in a crunch.

Take your heads out of your asses and realize that all poeple in need are not there because they deserve it.

This happened to me and my family.

I applied to well over 150 jobs ranging from dishwasher to optical thin fils engineer in 7 different countries. I ended up taking home $450/month and tried to feed and house my family while my wife worked 2 jobs to try to make ends meet.
We did just like everyone else did. We made lots of money so we bought a house, a car, new furniture, new appliances... One day they shut the company and moved it to the US.
next thing you know our house hold income is less than half, net, of what it was the day before.

Have some compassion you greedy... it's not worth getting banned.

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Pissed off?
2004-06-29, 3:30 PM #20
oS, the government contracts with you to provide certain goods and services to yourself and other citizens in return for some portion of your paycheck. If you don't like it, feel free to agitate for change or leave the country. Whining about "stealing" associates you with inarticulate pubescent libertarians.

Obi, Reagan tripled the national debt.
2004-06-29, 4:02 PM #21
Amen Evad. I feel ya.

------------------

10/7/85 - 12/9/03

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-06-29, 4:04 PM #22
The gov't takes $ from people to take care of them when they're older because most people are too stupid to do it themselves and save.

------------------
nil nip nada zip zero naught lip zil
This is retarded, and I mean drooling at the mouth
2004-06-29, 4:07 PM #23
What Evad and Tracer said.

Taxes are not only means for equaling the distrobution of wealth, but they also support the infrastructure of the coutry you live in.

Do you have any idea how many business, establisments, and organisations are publicly owned or recieve government grants? A hell of a lot.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-06-29, 4:19 PM #24
Quote:
This is why people join the republican party. And this why Rupublicans don't like the way Bush spends. He spends like a drunken democrat.</font>

I thought Bush was the republiucan party's favourite politician.

Quote:
Man, though, I'm thinking we need to chuck the public schools. People could use the money to get them selves a way better education elce where.</font>

Or they could put even more in and make the public schools better.

Don't say i dont know a thing about it. Australia is having a huge dispute over the fact that private schools get more government funding than public schools.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">And people who don't use schools could sue the money to start a famliy or buy a new video card. Or... do fun stuff. We all like that.</font>

or mabey they could use it to buy more food as I doubt that people that have trouble paying fo a school or those that are poor would have a computer, letalone be willing to use money to upgrade one.

Those that have computers and can afford to upgrade it wouldn't need to sue.

And lastly, how many thousands of good deeds did you have to do to make up for your actions during your first posts. If we know, we could be a better community if someone that made so many extremly offensive comments can still be around.

------------------
Those silly bullets have minds of their own!
Jon`C:Irony is spelling 'quality' poorly.
Spork:Well I think 'Irony is spelling grammar poorly'
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)-@%
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2004-06-29, 4:22 PM #25
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
you're damn right. People ARE complacent. They hope the government won't do something bad like raise taxes, but they seem to forget that in theory, they collectively CONTROL the government. According to the consitution (which is getting to mean less and less these days) the government is at the mercy of the people, not the other way around like it is now.

People put up with lax and corrupt politicians b/c they're too busy doing stuff that doesn't really matter, like watching reality TV and other worthless s***.

If people exercised their voting power the way it was intended, politicians would need a change of pants every time their popularity ratings fell on election years.

</font>

God bless Australia's compulsory voting law.

------------------
2004-06-29, 4:23 PM #26
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Darth Evad:
LOL! Well the president you seem to support so much in his foreign policy had to shell out tens, if not hundreds of billions of dollars to go to Iraq. Where do you think that money is coming from?
Think of it this way. You now support them financially. You should be happy.

Not only that, where do you think the money comes from to,
  • maintain thousands of miles of interstate highways and municipal roads
  • support under funded schools
  • supply the infrastructure so you can post here
  • help pay for all those poor people who cannot afford emergency medical care
  • purify the water that you just flushed down the toilet so you can drink it again
  • pay the police keep you and your neighbours safe
  • pay the firemen that rescue you and your neighbours
  • provide subsidies for the huge corporations that don't pay taxes because of loopholes
  • help with forign medical and food aid
  • pay for maintaining the city you live in.

There are 230,000,000 people in your country. Trying to keep things orderly is EXTREMELY expensive.

I never understood why people complain about taxes in the west.
We can have anything, ANYTHING, we want delivered to our doorsteps and that doesn't seem to be enough for some people.
If the government cut taxes, the first thing people like you would do would be to complain about what you don't get anymore.

oS, grow up and take a look around.

[/b]</font>

1. I don't get jack crap from the government besides roads, which are in absolute shambles and could no doubt be better handled by ANY private institution at this point. Michigan has the third worst roads in the country.

2. The police doesn't do anything for me except give me tickets. Regardless; a very very small slice of government spending goes towards police and firefighters anyway, but they're always the first to be cited by socialists such as yourself.

3. "support under funded schools" BS I went to a private school which survives on MUCH MUCH MUCH less money than the public schools. And guess what? Our school absolutely demolishes every public school in the area in all testing, despite being "under funded". Teachers also make significantly less.

4. "supply the infrastructure so you can post here" Wrong, that's almost all private.

5. "help pay for all those poor people who cannot afford emergency medical care" Wrong, according to the law, a hospital must treat someone in an emergency situation regardless of insurance or money. WHO FOOTS THE BILL? The hospital. Nice guess though, but you're way off.

6. "pay the firemen that rescue you and your neighbours" Same as police, they hardly get *any* of the money that is taken.

7. "pay for maintaining the city you live in." Huh? No. They don't. The city pays for that.

8. "provide subsidies for the huge corporations that don't pay taxes because of loopholes" Not familiar with this, but just on that alone I'm guessing it's inaccurate. And yes, that's a bit pompous of me :P

9. Just because I support the president in general does not mean I support every facet of his administration. I disagree with alot of his fiscal policies.

I think that covers all of your points, right?

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ictus:
oS, the government contracts with you to provide certain goods and services to yourself and other citizens in return for some portion of your paycheck. If you don't like it, feel free to agitate for change or leave the country. Whining about "stealing" associates you with inarticulate pubescent libertarians.
</font>

The problem is I can't find a country that's better. But that's no reason to give up on fixing this one. Which is why I'm agitating for change. I don't know what else to call it other than stealing.

Tell me, have you ever even had a full time job? Have you ever worked 9 hour days in miserable conditions only to see -$178 on your paycheck at the end of the week, even though you worked 10 hours of overtime TRYING TO GET AHEAD, only to have MORE taken from you?

I'm trying to pay for college here, please do not tell me what I do and do not need. I need money. $2000 makes the difference between GOING AND NOT GOING. I can't WAIT for the tax returns to come in.

[This message has been edited by oSiRiS (edited June 29, 2004).]
2004-06-29, 4:29 PM #27
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Spork:
What Evad and Tracer said.

Taxes are not only means for equaling the distrobution of wealth, but they also support the infrastructure of the coutry you live in.

Do you have any idea how many business, establisments, and organisations are publicly owned or recieve government grants? A hell of a lot.

</font>

Remember spork, some people don't realise the cold war is over and still think that governments that do that are "evil commie goverments".

------------------
2004-06-29, 4:33 PM #28
oS...why do i sense you are a lifeless prick sometimes?

------------------

10/7/85 - 12/9/03

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-06-29, 4:35 PM #29
Quote:

</font>

Kinda like me? Oh wait, the government won't give me JACK SH**

------------------
Ω of 14
2004-06-29, 4:36 PM #30
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ubuu:
oS...why do i sense you are a lifeless prick sometimes?

</font>

I'm sorry if I offended you by working hard so that I can make money to go to college. In the future I will just live off welfare and do nothing with my life.

------------------
Ω of 14
2004-06-29, 4:36 PM #31
Not with that attitude.

------------------
2004-06-29, 4:38 PM #32
I agree with oSIRIS. It's not that I hate taxes. I just hate when my money is spent on programs that I don't support. Generally, I don't mind Federal, City, or State income taxes. Those usually go to the common good.

The taxes that really make me mad are FICA and Medicare. You can't get those back, and you can't make good use of them. The government doesn't keep track how much you've paid to FICA and then give that back in social security checks. Same with Medicare. For those that need it, it's a decent program. But what if I never make use of it? I view that as a waste of money.

I can understand the argument for Medicare, but for FICA? I don't see it. I believe each person should be responsible enough to be ready for retirement with all necessary funds. The government shouldn't have to support those that have worked, earned, and spent money all their lives just because they retire.

------------------
Our very existence is at stake

Yay! I can finally join the snail-racing crew.

-@%
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2004-06-29, 4:40 PM #33
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">3. "support under funded schools" BS I went to a private school which survives on MUCH MUCH MUCH less money than the public schools. And guess what? Our school absolutely demolishes every public school in the area in all testing, despite being "under funded". Teachers also make significantly less.

</font>

Not everybody can afford the expense of private schools.

Also, I don't see what you're getting worked up over. You're how old, 20, 21? And in the lowest tax bracket too. You get the money back.

------------------
"Look at me! I'm Tracer! BLAHBLAHBLAH!"

-MBeggar
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-06-29, 4:40 PM #34
Quote:
I'm sorry if I offended you by working hard so that I can make money to go to college. In the future I will just live off welfare and do nothing with my life.

</font>

No, he is calling you that because you don't think that people should pay taxes so you dont need to pay for services like police or fire department when you use them.

Imagine having to pay firefighters to save your house from a fire? How would you feel if you needed to pay the police to come down and arrest a someone holding a family member at knifepoint?

think before you whine.

------------------
2004-06-29, 4:41 PM #35
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by alpha1:
No, he is calling you that because you don't think that people should pay taxes so you dont need to pay for services like police or fire department when you use them.

Imagine having to pay firefighters to save your house from a fire? How would you feel if you needed to pay the police to come down and arrest a someone holding a family member at knifepoint?

think before you whine.

</font>

Apparently you missed when I explained the first time that fire and police get a very small insubstantial piece of the stolen money.

------------------
Ω of 14
2004-06-29, 4:42 PM #36
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ric_Olie:
I agree with oSIRIS. It's not that I hate taxes. I just hate when my money is spent on programs that I don't support. Generally, I don't mind Federal, City, or State income taxes. Those usually go to the common good.

The taxes that really make me mad are FICA and Medicare. You can't get those back, and you can't make good use of them. The government doesn't keep track how much you've paid to FICA and then give that back in social security checks. Same with Medicare. For those that need it, it's a decent program. But what if I never make use of it? I view that as a waste of money.

I can understand the argument for Medicare, but for FICA? I don't see it. I believe each person should be responsible enough to be ready for retirement with all necessary funds. The government shouldn't have to support those that have worked, earned, and spent money all their lives just because they retire.

</font>

yes, but you don't know if you will ever need it. so don't say you don't support a good program just because you haven't made useof it yet. you don't know that you wont get seriouly injured tommorow. so stop whineing.

------------------
2004-06-29, 4:43 PM #37
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tracer:
Not everybody can afford the expense of private schools.

Also, I don't see what you're getting worked up over. You're how old, 20, 21? And in the lowest tax bracket too. You get the money back.

</font>

18. Not enough money back, and not in time before college tuition is due, which leaves me screwed. And no, I don't get all of the money back, I get maybe 30% of it back. I know because my brother used to have the job that I have now.

------------------
Ω of 14
2004-06-29, 4:44 PM #38
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by alpha1:
yes, but you don't know if you will ever need it. so don't say you don't support a good program just because you haven't made useof it yet. you don't know that you wont get seriouly injured tommorow. so stop whineing.

</font>

You clearly have no idea what either of those programs are. Or even how to spell "whining".

------------------
Ω of 14
2004-06-29, 4:44 PM #39
My only beef about taxes is social security. It is more than half of what I get taxed, and I will never see that money again because by the time I'm old, social security will be privatized.

------------------
Massassi: We don't debate. We *****.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-06-29, 4:45 PM #40
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by alpha1:

think before you whine.

</font>

Apparently you missed when I explained the first time that fire and police get a very small insubstantial piece of the stolen money.

[/B]

because they are not the only programs that are nessesary for a functioning industrialised country.

Also, if you didn't pay taxes, they wouldn't get any money. By the way, they don't get a huge percentage of the tax money because they do not need multi billions of dollars for funding.

------------------

↑ Up to the top!