Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Spy Vs. Spy
Spy Vs. Spy
2006-10-30, 3:39 PM #121
Actually Fisher is second.
nope.
2006-10-30, 3:40 PM #122
Damn. That's sad.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-10-31, 12:15 AM #123
[QUOTE=Chaz Ghostle]He doesn't flip out, and he doesn't fight all the time. Snake is much more of a ninja.[/QUOTE]While those kinds of ninjas are cool, they are not real ninjas (:(). And real ninjas (like Sam Fisher) are even cooler than the ones that flip out all the time.
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2006-10-31, 1:43 AM #124
Ninjas like Fisher sneak in, kill only who they have to, then sneak out as if they were never there.

BORING!
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2006-10-31, 6:28 AM #125
You just don't understand how cool stealth is.
Ban Jin!
2006-10-31, 6:55 AM #126
First off, Fisher is a ninja.

Secondly, Snake is a soldier.

Finally, 47 is a hitman.

Try flipping out and killing everyone while playing as Fisher. It's impossible unless you do it really sneaky-like.

Flipping out and killing everyone as Snake is pretty easy to do. And it's nearly impossible for Snake to never be seen. He's eventually going to have to flip out and kill some people.

47 on the other hand, can simply sneak around without ever being seen, take other people's clothes and weapons after sedating or strangling them, and in short do pretty much everything that fisher can do except the whole wall jumping thing. But when the chips are down, he's got an MP5 in his pocket, and everyone can, and probably will die.

47 clearly wins. He's a combination of both characters.
>>untie shoes
2006-10-31, 7:02 AM #127
Which is scarier to come across though? A guy a who will shoot you in the face instantly, or a guy will disappear, maybe make the lights go out, and then appear behind you with a knife to your neck before you even know what's happening?
Ban Jin!
2006-10-31, 7:04 AM #128
Are you talking about Fisher or 47? Cause they both do that.
>>untie shoes
2006-10-31, 7:08 AM #129
Oh.

Well Sam Fisher has hair.
Ban Jin!
2006-10-31, 7:10 AM #130
Not anymore...
>>untie shoes
2006-10-31, 7:12 AM #131
Originally posted by SMOCK!:
Oh.

Well Sam Fisher has hair.

And actually has something of a personality. :P
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2006-10-31, 7:15 AM #132
Personality makes one a better killer? Killing someone and joking about it?
>>untie shoes
2006-10-31, 8:19 AM #133
Which is scarier to come across though? A guy a who will shoot you in the face instantly, or a guy will disappear, maybe make the lights go out, and then appear behind you with a knife to your neck before you even know what's happening?

47. Personally I'd be scared more by a 6ft blad guy with a barcode on his head.
nope.
2006-10-31, 8:21 AM #134
Not necessarily a better killer, but definitely more badass.
Ban Jin!
2006-10-31, 9:43 AM #135
Originally posted by Bill:
Personality makes one a better killer? Killing someone and joking about it?

who said anything about killing? Sam doesn't ALWAYS have to kill people, he can interrogate them, joke about killing them, then knock them out.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Last Stand
2006-10-31, 9:54 AM #136
Fisher games are boring.
Never played hitman.
MGS, MGS2, and MGS3 are some of the coolest 3D games ever. You never feel that badass in other games. Never. (minus raiden who should redeem himself in the next installment)
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-10-31, 12:09 PM #137
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Fisher games are boring.
Never played hitman.
MGS, MGS2, and MGS3 are some of the coolest 3D games ever. You never feel that badass in other games. Never. (minus raiden who should redeem himself in the next installment)

So you've never played a Hitman game, yet you say that you can't feel more badass than playing a MGS game?

Trust me, you can feel much more badass than that.
>>untie shoes
2006-10-31, 12:16 PM #138
47 can also kill people by causing accidents.
2006-10-31, 12:30 PM #139
Which one should I get?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-10-31, 12:34 PM #140
I think Blood Money, the latest, has by far been my favorite because it is the one that introduced making murder look like an accident. (Dropping chandeliers on people, throwing people over cliffs, rigging someones propane grill to explode, etc.)

Other than that, I really enjoyed Contracts. The entire game takes place at night, and is a retelling of some of the events toward the end of the original hitman.

Silent Assassin, the second game, has some good stuff in it. However, it's alot harder than the other games. It was the first to introduce the suspision meter.

Codename 47, the first game is a blast, but it doesn't play like any of the other games. There are no rewards for being stealthy, and no real penalties for being a sadistic kill'em all *******.
2006-10-31, 12:58 PM #141
The best thing about the first game was the ability to hold any two pistols akimbo.

You could be walking down the street with your desert eagle and pick up some baddie's beretta. This has been sorely missing from the subsequent games.

That, and I can't play Blood Money with sound because my sound card is from the stone age and blood money hates it.

Other than that, it's my favorite game franchise.
>>untie shoes
2006-10-31, 2:09 PM #142
Getting blood money as we speak.

From a store.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-10-31, 2:13 PM #143
The Hitman series is awesome. I played Contracts through several times, as with Blood Money. I am replaying Blood Money right now, actually. I am trying to kill the targets a different way from what I did the first few times. There are many ways of eliminating a target, from blatant to 'accidental', which is what makes Blood Money so fun.
2006-10-31, 2:18 PM #144
I'm grabbing the demo as I speak to try it out.
nope.
2006-10-31, 2:28 PM #145
There are also atleast a dozen ways to complete every level.
2006-10-31, 3:27 PM #146
Originally posted by Bill:
First off, Fisher is a ninja.

Secondly, Snake is a soldier.

Finally, 47 is a hitman.

Try flipping out and killing everyone while playing as Fisher. It's impossible unless you do it really sneaky-like.

Flipping out and killing everyone as Snake is pretty easy to do. And it's nearly impossible for Snake to never be seen. He's eventually going to have to flip out and kill some people.

47 on the other hand, can simply sneak around without ever being seen, take other people's clothes and weapons after sedating or strangling them, and in short do pretty much everything that fisher can do except the whole wall jumping thing. But when the chips are down, he's got an MP5 in his pocket, and everyone can, and probably will die.

47 clearly wins. He's a combination of both characters.

Eh...it's easy never to be seen as Snake. Well, not easy, but possible. There's actually a rank for people who never get noticed, and it's been achieved before.

You CAN flip out and kill everyone--except they keep coming (with the exception of MGS3 that is). It's easier to try to be all stealthy.

Fisher just sucks (Splinter Cell is boring).

Also, Hitman would be 10000000 times better if EIDOS didn't make it. For some reason all their games play like something from the late 90s--give me a JUMP button ffs.
D E A T H
2006-10-31, 3:33 PM #147
Splinter Cell IS boring. Something about taking 10 minutes to get from outside of a building to the inside just says "there are better games" to me.

And I don't really know anything about this, but I'd just imagine that a REAL agent like this would be a lot faster and a lot more calculated. Sam is just slow (Which is mistaken for careful and quiet), inhumanly acrobatic, and conveniently equipped. He doesn't actually have any skills.

Not being detected in a MGS game, however, consists of being as fast as humanly possible, using distractions, and predicting enemy movement (Which in the most recent installment is the best, as they're not defined paths like in previous games.)

By the way, I tried twin snakes only to discover that Victor is a pure fanboy.

The cutscenes ruin the atmosphere, the new features don't make sense for what the intentional difficulty of the situation is (The ocelot fight is supposed to be hard because you have to beat him around corners. In this game, you just go first person and shoot him until he's dead.) AND THE CUTSCENES RUIN THE ATMOSPHERE. They look prettier, but they're over the top and annoyingly voiced. Snake is suddenly a ninja, not a soldier. It's just stupid and campy.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-10-31, 5:09 PM #148
Splinter Cell IS boring. Something about taking 10 minutes to get from outside of a building to the inside just says "there are better games" to me.

And I don't really know anything about this, but I'd just imagine that a REAL agent like this would be a lot faster and a lot more calculated. Sam is just slow (Which is mistaken for careful and quiet), inhumanly acrobatic, and conveniently equipped. He doesn't actually have any skills.

Not being detected in a MGS game, however, consists of being as fast as humanly possible, using distractions, and predicting enemy movement (Which in the most recent installment is the best, as they're not defined paths like in previous games.)

By the way, I tried twin snakes only to discover that Victor is a pure fanboy.

The cutscenes ruin the atmosphere, the new features don't make sense for what the intentional difficulty of the situation is (The ocelot fight is supposed to be hard because you have to beat him around corners. In this game, you just go first person and shoot him until he's dead.) AND THE CUTSCENES RUIN THE ATMOSPHERE. They look prettier, but they're over the top and annoyingly voiced. Snake is suddenly a ninja, not a soldier. It's just stupid and campy.

Christ, thank you.

The Ocelot fight was a bastardization of the original. FP view ruins the game horribly to me.
D E A T H
2006-10-31, 5:33 PM #149
Bah. Screw all of you.

Splinter Cell FTW. At least it, as opposed to MGS, is feasible.
Last Stand
2006-10-31, 5:36 PM #150
Originally posted by phoenix_9286:
Bah. Screw all of you.

Splinter Cell FTW. At least it, as opposed to MGS, is feasible.

Uh...neither one is feasible in any way shape or form, and no matter what, we're talking about games. Also, this is coming from someone whose favorite game is Halo. Because that's feasible.

Feasibility has no bearing on its awesomeness as a game.
D E A T H
2006-10-31, 5:56 PM #151
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Uh...neither one is feasible in any way shape or form, and no matter what, we're talking about games. Also, this is coming from someone whose favorite game is Halo. Because that's feasible.

Feasibility has no bearing on its awesomeness as a game.[/QUOTE]
Stop being an *** and bringing Halo into every discussion about games I partake in.

ONE OF my favorite games is Halo. I also love GTA, UT, Splinter Cell, Hitman, and a few others. Where the hell did I ever anywhere say that a game had to be feasible before I'd like it? This is a silly discussion about which character/franchise is better. I think Splinter Cell's feasiblity MAKES it better.

And yes, Splinter Cell IS feasible. The technology Sam uses exists or could exist in the near future, the problems presented in the game COULD happen, and god knows there's definately every possibility that there's a 50 some year old man who can jump around that much. And just how, exactly, do you know there ISN'T a Third Echelon type organization? Or "Splinter Cells" for that matter?

The entire basis of Splinter Cell is all highly feasible and realistic. There's EVERY possibility it might not be really happening, and might not EVER happen, but that doesn't stop the fact that it's plausable and feasible.

And yes, I will admit that while someone at Sam's age COULD be doing those things, it is kinda unlikely and pushing it a bit.
Last Stand
2006-10-31, 6:59 PM #152
Originally posted by phoenix_9286:
Stop being an *** and bringing Halo into every discussion about games I partake in.

ONE OF my favorite games is Halo. I also love GTA, UT, Splinter Cell, Hitman, and a few others. Where the hell did I ever anywhere say that a game had to be feasible before I'd like it? This is a silly discussion about which character/franchise is better. I think Splinter Cell's feasiblity MAKES it better.

And yes, Splinter Cell IS feasible. The technology Sam uses exists or could exist in the near future, the problems presented in the game COULD happen, and god knows there's definately every possibility that there's a 50 some year old man who can jump around that much. And just how, exactly, do you know there ISN'T a Third Echelon type organization? Or "Splinter Cells" for that matter?

The entire basis of Splinter Cell is all highly feasible and realistic. There's EVERY possibility it might not be really happening, and might not EVER happen, but that doesn't stop the fact that it's plausable and feasible.

And yes, I will admit that while someone at Sam's age COULD be doing those things, it is kinda unlikely and pushing it a bit.

I quoted Halo because you quoted Splinter Cell's "feasibility" as compared to MGS's, as if that was some kind of indication of how good of a game it was. I was pointing out your own hypocrisy--Halo is about as UNfeasible as it gets. And you're criticizing another game for not being feasible. It was a worthy comparison.

Splinter Cell is as feasible as Deus Ex as Battlefield 2142.

Sure, it COULD happen, but the probability of any of that happening is laughable.

And yeah, they would never hire someone at Sam's age to do any of those things--natural laws that govern the aging of man would dictate that it'd be smart to choose someone younger, stronger, and better, as there always is when it comes to...that "type" of work.
D E A T H
2006-10-31, 8:11 PM #153
Hey hey now.

Some of us like to believe in a future of nanoaugmenting ourselves.
2006-10-31, 8:14 PM #154
No one can use their legs to hold themself between two walls that long.

No one.

Oh, and why would 47 need to jump? Wouldn't that you know.. be a dead give away as to someone who doesn't belong?
2006-11-01, 12:23 AM #155

You're stupid and campy!
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2006-11-01, 1:19 AM #156
People who think Fisher games are boring don't understand how stealth works.
Ban Jin!
2006-11-01, 2:30 AM #157
This thread is pure awesome.

I don't care who's the bigger ninja or feasible monkeyspanker or what, anybody who can plant C4 on a guard's back and not get noticed is a winner in my book.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2006-11-01, 3:00 AM #158
I remember doing that in Red Faction, what was even more fun was planting on some guys face.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2006-11-01, 5:07 AM #159
People who think Fisher games are boring don't understand how stealth works.

Are you kidding me? I understand waiting: I do. But I'd like to think getting from point A to point B requires SPEED, not MIND NUMBING SLOWNESS.

And furthermore, just because stealth might be misunderstood doesn't make it a good pitch for a game. Sure, it's successful, so I guess it just doesn't suite me (But sometimes I HAVE to contribute the Tom Clancy name, and the X-Box fanboyisms to some people's tendancy to buy each and every splinter cell despite the minute differences between them.)* but I promise you that slow boring gameplay was a hard sell to the developers.

"In this scene, Sam Fisher, a 55 year old not-yet-retired born-again ninja is mantaining an intense crawling pace through a poorly lit room. Look at how the little bit of light casts a little bit of a shadow! This is what 90% of the game consists of, because real sneaking doesn't involve killing anyone, or anything all that exciting at all. 1mill to make this game please?"

* - I know there's LOTS of differences and additions between, say, the first and third, or second to fourth. But it seems from what I've played that, just like Rainbow Six games, they just churn out a new Splinter Cell game every few quarters and cash in on the fanboys. While this is good marketing, it's hard to hold this candle to MGS' consistant improvements between well spaced games. Splinter Cell never really has changed everything about the game except it's core mechanics until this recent release. Otherwise it's always been the same sam in the same poorly lit office complexes/houses/factories.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-11-01, 5:47 AM #160
And yet the third game was arguably more fun than the first and the second. They changed little things that made all the difference. They developed Sam's character more, and gave him a few new abilities that opened a whole range of possibilities. They also tried to not put Sam in the same locations over and over. He's snuck through jungles, old forts, military bases, you name it.

There's also an intense excitement (for me and, I would assume, other Splinter Cell fans) in being able to sneak past someone. There's a chance that a guard will turn around at the wrong time and you'll be forced to improvise an escape. Plus, it's way cooler to drop down from a pipe and snap a guard's neck than simply shooting him. It's the glorious feeling of being completely in control of someone's fate, even though he doesn't know, it that makes it fun.
Ban Jin!

↑ Up to the top!