Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → The Wii Thread
The Wii Thread
2006-11-19, 1:50 AM #121
Happy Wii day
2006-11-19, 3:07 AM #122
So who has their Wii already and how is it?
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2006-11-19, 10:53 AM #123
See also: The Unofficial "I have a Wii!" thread.
.hack//SIGN - The World - Just Believe

(Yes, This is Cool Matty)
2006-11-19, 11:55 AM #124
http://forums.massassi.net/vb3/showthread.php?p=762829
2006-11-20, 11:08 PM #125
When are the Forecast and News channels going to work?
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2006-11-21, 5:41 AM #126
[QUOTE=Chaz Ghostle]When are the Forecast and News channels going to work?[/QUOTE]

http://wii.nintendo.com

Read the frikin website.
2006-11-21, 6:09 AM #127
Woke up on the wrong side of the bed today, did we? Haven't had our coffee yet, hm? Well, it's early for me, too, and all I see is "not all channels available at launch." Last I heard was sometime in '07. That's a little vague, so I was hoping someone at Massassi might know a little more. If not, "we don't know" would be just fine.

I'm sorry for asking about a Wii feature in the Wii thread. I apologize.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
2006-11-21, 10:34 AM #128
IGN's Red Steel review: http://wii.ign.com/articles/746/746975p1.html
2006-11-21, 12:37 PM #129
[QUOTE=Chaz Ghostle]Woke up on the wrong side of the bed today, did we? Haven't had our coffee yet, hm? Well, it's early for me, too, and all I see is "not all channels available at launch." Last I heard was sometime in '07. That's a little vague, so I was hoping someone at Massassi might know a little more. If not, "we don't know" would be just fine.

I'm sorry for asking about a Wii feature in the Wii thread. I apologize.[/QUOTE]

Way to jump off the deep end and overreact.

But in any case, a google would provide your answer far quicker than any response here.
2006-11-22, 1:17 PM #130
Originally posted by Krokodile:

It seems that Red Steel is one of those "love it" or "hate it" games, I've seen reviews go between 90% and 55%, and then strangely enough, the notoriously strict Famitsu magazine rates it an average score of 8.5 out of four reviews.

I guess I'll give it a whirl and pawn it off if I don't like it. >.>;;... after the Wii launches over here at least.
Seishun da!
2006-11-22, 7:30 PM #131
[QUOTE=Chaz Ghostle]all I see is "not all channels available at launch."[/QUOTE]

Look a bit closer.

2006-11-23, 12:11 AM #132
I canceled my Red Steel pre-order. I'm going to rent it and decide if I'm in the love it or hate it category before I think about buying it.

Interestingly enough, I'm doing the same with Dragonball Z. I say interesting, because I hate dragonball z, but the wii game looks like a lot of fun regardless ;)
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2006-11-23, 11:20 AM #133
I played Excite Truck the other day... it's actually a lot of fun once you get used to the controls.
2006-11-23, 11:29 AM #134
What games are you getting/have gotten from the virtual console? So far, I only have Zelda, but I'll be getting Toe Jam & Earl and Donkey Kong as soon as they get added. I'm still considering Mario 64 and Sonic. I know they're classics, but I want to save my points right now.
2006-11-23, 11:53 AM #135
I finally got a chance to play at a friend's house yesterday.

Wii Sports: Is awesome and amazing and ironically probably one of the best games for Wii right now.

Red Steel: Multiplayer is ****ing HARD to get used to .. It's really a bit frustrating and disappointing :( the aiming is really sporadic and difficult, and sometimes spazzes out on you for no reason whatsoever.

DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi: My friend bought this on a whim and it's actually not a bad game haha .. Wiimote doesn't really do much for it (although you do wave it around to perform special moves) but it actually feels like the anime haha
一个大西瓜
2006-11-24, 12:16 AM #136
I'll be getting Toe Jam and Earl... and that's it for my current virtual plans.
I don't want Mario, because I have it on the DS, and, apart from the controller, it's better there.
If and when Rock and Roll racing is on it, I'll get that too.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2006-11-24, 5:54 AM #137
The best virtual console game to buy right now is Bomberman '93, hands down. It has freakin 5 player multiplayer!!!!
2006-11-24, 5:59 AM #138
Does the Wii emulate the Virtual Console games perfectly or are there some issues?
2006-11-24, 6:05 AM #139
If that thing has classic bomberman it's getting bought.
nope.
2006-11-24, 6:06 AM #140
Most review sites are giving Red Steel an average score. Anyone here plaid it?
幻術
2006-11-24, 6:59 AM #141
Originally posted by Krokodile:
Does the Wii emulate the Virtual Console games perfectly or are there some issues?

I played through almost the entire Sonic 1 game and only encountered one VERY MINOR graphical glitch, one you probably wouldn't notice unless you looked for it. It plays perfectly, doesn't lag (except where the Genesis did, as an accurate reproduction), and plays fine. Same with SM64, one slight graphical glitch, that was it. As a matter of fact, I think SM64 has FSAA, but that might just be my TV.
2006-11-24, 2:30 PM #142
I got mine. Had to wait three hours in line this morning. But I was first in line! Hurray! Got one of ONLY SIX. Then I ran out of the store holding it over my head and whooping. The whole line flicked me off. Someone called me a '****ing gay *******'. I can't disagree.

As for FSAA in SM64, it's pretty simple for the Wii hardware to tack that effect on top of all n64/cube games. It's a hardware feature, not a software feature. It's no different than running JK on a card that supports FSAA and a card that doesn't.
Wikissassi sucks.
2006-11-24, 11:15 PM #143
[QUOTE=Cool Matty]The best virtual console game to buy right now is Bomberman '93, hands down. It has freakin 5 player multiplayer!!!![/QUOTE]

Tried it tonight, but we couldn't figure out how to get the 5th player in. We only have 3 Wiimotes. We tried using 'Cube controllers, but 1-3 just fought for control with the corresponding Wiimote.
2006-11-25, 4:27 AM #144
Cube and wiimotes don't mix well. I already tried it myself. Does it have online multiplayer? Maybe it actually supports more than 4 wiimotes?
Wikissassi sucks.
2006-11-25, 10:26 AM #145
Does anybody else's cursor stutter at the channels screen after updating? Also, is the light supposed to be yellow when powered off?
2006-11-25, 3:55 PM #146
Check your settings to make sure it agrees with the position of the sensor bar, and check the sensor bar itself and it's connection. You really need to position the thing properly. If it's fine, you might have interference from something. The sensor bar is really just an IR transmitter, just like your normal remote control. I personally hate the thing. It just seems too fragile a system to me, both operationally and physically (See how thin that wire is?) not to mention rather counter-portable.
Also, resist the urge to move closer thinking it will make the thing work better. It doesn't. Get too close, and it won't work at all.

As for the yellow light, yeah, mine does that, I'm assuming it's normal.
Wikissassi sucks.
2006-11-25, 4:09 PM #147
Yellow is the universal color for suspend mode.

Disc light pulsates when Wii is off and connected to WiiConnect24.

Also, the wire that goes between the sensor bar and the Wii carries power only, and a very small amount of it at that. There are already numerous guides online for building your own battery-powered sensor bars. We'll be seeing third party ones sooner rather than later.
2006-11-25, 8:42 PM #148
I think the Wii SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now... for those of you who didn't stop reading after the first line and instantly hit the "reply" button to throw random insults at me, I will explain my claim.

I think Wii Sports is the most fun I have EVER had with ANY game.. EVER.. I really love the controler, and it actually might start a new trend in video games. I was sore for 3 days strait after playing Wii Sports. Excellent Excellent. I can't say it enough, it is so fun, especially with the custom Mii's. Great party game ANY day.. plus I live in a house with 4 roommates, so we play Wii Sports like everyday. And from what I have seen from Zelda so far, it looks sweet too.

And now for my problem... The Wii is only slightly better in graphics then the game cube. I see NO reason to make an entirely new console in order to release a new controller.

A lot of people were defending it by saying

1. "they arn't making game cube games anymore" Counter : that's cause they made the new system, these games would have been just as good on game cube with the new controller.. In my eyes that is extortion, forcing us to buy a new system just because they stopped making games for the old system

2. You can play all the old nintendo games Counter: I have an emulator on my computer, I don't need all the old games.. especially not enough to buy a Wii

It seems to me the only reason they came out with the new console was because Xbox and playstation were coming out with new systems.. granted the Wii is the cheapest of teh 3, but it shouldn't even exsist in the first place. The ammount of graphics upgrade that they did, does not justify a completely new console.
||||||||||||||||||||
2006-11-25, 9:07 PM #149
But you need the hardware to run this new controller. And not everyone is willing to pirate games.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-11-25, 9:08 PM #150
You're assuming that the cube could handle the new controller. I highly doubt that. Does the wiimote have a microprocessor in it for triangulating it's position using the IR signals from the sensor bar? To do it for the cube you would need a (probably) smarter wiimote bundled with a battery powered (and less configurable) sensor bar and a wireless accessory to plug into the cube, and it would still only work for specific games. You'd probably be looking at about $100 for one, and it wouldn't work as well either.

Second, compare the launch titles of any console to the latest and greatest. How about the 360 - let's compare Perfect Dark or GRAW to Gears of War. You just can't.

And, incidentally, the Wii is more powerful than the cube.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_GameCube#Hardware_specifications
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii#Technical_specifications

No, it's not nearly as powerful as the 360 ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360#Hardware ) but you can't say it's just repackaged hardware, it's not. And, keeping backwards compatibility is a good thing.
Wikissassi sucks.
2006-11-25, 9:44 PM #151
I think you're also forgetting one of the big advantages the wii has over the competition is that it is so cheap. It's cheap for a reason, dur.
2006-11-25, 9:56 PM #152
That is my only concern with the Wii. The graphics on most of the games are downright ugly. Even Rayman, which is considered to be the second best launch title by some, looks horrid.

It's fun as hell, but GCN had better looking games. I know this is launch, but I just can't see how in 5 years we'll be able to stand looking at the Wii's graphics without some changes.

I love the Wii, but it's my only area of concern. How long will the novelty of the controller last without us noticing the graphics? I understand Nintendo's philosophy, but the graphics can also help you in immersing yourself within a game.
2006-11-25, 9:59 PM #153
Well, Mario Universe whatever looks like it takes advantage of Wii's graphics. But I'm no expert.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-11-25, 10:01 PM #154
LAUNCH TITLES!

Since when do Launch Titles use all of a machine's graphical capability?

Even then.. THAT TOTALLY ISN'T THE POINT OF THE WII. AT ALL.

If you wanted bleeding edge graphics you should have gone and paid out the *** for the PS3 or gotten an Xbox360.
2006-11-25, 10:04 PM #155
Read again, I'm not asking for cutting edge graphics. I'm saying these graphics are pale even to GCN standards.

You're saying that GCN launch titles looked worse than N64? Not really.

I understand these are launch titles, but really, how much can it improve?

I know the DS is killing in the handheld market, but who knows if this strategy of fun over graphics will work in the console for the long haul.
2006-11-25, 10:14 PM #156
I'm just not seeing it. The only game for the cube I can think of that looks as good as Twilight Princess is... well, Twilight Princess. Maybe Resident Evil 4, but that game is so far above the curve it shouldn't even be considered.

Also, who says we can't have both? I played Zelda and Gears of War today. I wrestled Gorons and a sawdimized Locust. I see nothing wrong with having both.
Wikissassi sucks.
2006-11-25, 11:42 PM #157
Originally posted by Isuwen:
Check your settings to make sure it agrees with the position of the sensor bar, and check the sensor bar itself and it's connection. You really need to position the thing properly. If it's fine, you might have interference from something. The sensor bar is really just an IR transmitter, just like your normal remote control. I personally hate the thing. It just seems too fragile a system to me, both operationally and physically (See how thin that wire is?) not to mention rather counter-portable.
Also, resist the urge to move closer thinking it will make the thing work better. It doesn't. Get too close, and it won't work at all.

As for the yellow light, yeah, mine does that, I'm assuming it's normal.

My cursor works perfectly in games and in picture mode, it just stutters in Channels and Shop. :/

PS: Raving Rayman Rabbids is really really cool.
2006-11-26, 1:32 AM #158
Originally posted by Spiral:

Now... for those of you who didn't stop reading after the first line and instantly hit the "reply" button to throw random insults at me, I will explain my claim.

I think Wii Sports is the most fun I have EVER had with ANY game.. EVER.. I really love the controler, and it actually might start a new trend in video games. I was sore for 3 days strait after playing Wii Sports. Excellent Excellent. I can't say it enough, it is so fun, especially with the custom Mii's. Great party game ANY day.. plus I live in a house with 4 roommates, so we play Wii Sports like everyday. And from what I have seen from Zelda so far, it looks sweet too.

And now for my problem... The Wii is only slightly better in graphics then the game cube. I see NO reason to make an entirely new console in order to release a new controller.

1. "they arn't making game cube games anymore" Counter : that's cause they made the new system, these games would have been just as good on game cube with the new controller.. In my eyes that is extortion, forcing us to buy a new system just because they stopped making games for the old system

2. You can play all the old nintendo games Counter: I have an emulator on my computer, I don't need all the old games.. especially not enough to buy a Wii

It seems to me the only reason they came out with the new console was because Xbox and playstation were coming out with new systems.. granted the Wii is the cheapest of teh 3, but it shouldn't even exsist in the first place. The ammount of graphics upgrade that they did, does not justify a completely new console.
No
2006-11-26, 8:43 AM #159
I keep hearing the graphics of the Wii are a fair deal better than the Gamecube's. Sure, it's not X-Box 360, but it's above X-Box.

Furthermore, I don't know about you, but I certainly wouldn't want to emulate N64 games. Games intended for analogue controllers and keyboard controls generally don't mix very well. (Yes I know, I could buy a controller for my PC, but then I might as well spend the $10 needed to get Mario 64 onto my Wii, and it'd be much more legal too)

Plus, this is a good reset for Nintendo. It caught the public's attention, and that of those ever important third party developers. If it was indeed possible to just release the Wiimote and sensor bar for the Gamecube, people and developers wouldn't have paid nearly as much attention to it. Plus, even if it's graphically somewhere above the Gamecube but below the 360, it still means that developers can try some new graphical doohickeys on it that they couldn't do on the Gamecube, so I'd say the Wii's existance is well justified in my opinion.
Seishun da!
2006-11-26, 9:12 AM #160
Originally posted by Spiral:

You mean, besides the fact that you'd need the sensor bar, a totally new OS, a new disk drive, a wireless adapter, a bluetooth adapter, somehow manage to keep the gamecube on "standby", make it use only 17 watts of power, and such? Sure, that could easily be an addon! Wait, no it couldn't. Not even the expansion bay has the sort of power and bandwith to support such a change.

Quote:

I refer to you the real reasons above.

Quote:

Then don't buy a Wii for virtual console. But it's a pretty damn nice feature for those that don't like to be illegal, or never owned those consoles. And it has been mentioned that there will be games that were not available in the US, and vice versa.

Quote:

Yes it should, and I think my reasons stated make it quite obvious on why.

↑ Up to the top!