Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Zelda: Twilight Princess
Zelda: Twilight Princess
2006-11-19, 10:33 PM #1
I wish I had just waited and got the Gamecube version.
2006-11-19, 10:33 PM #2
...okay...
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-11-19, 10:34 PM #3
No way :(
2006-11-19, 10:38 PM #4
:gb2fyad:
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-11-19, 10:39 PM #5
That's not to say the game isn't good. It's actually really amazing, if you don't mind the fact that it doesn't really offer much that Ocarina of Time did. But the motion sensitive controls have almost no bearing on how Link handles his sword, and even if it meant losing the improved aiming, I'd rather just hit B to attack like on the Gamecube version. Also, I really hate how half the sound effects come out of the Wiimote- it just doesn't sound very good.

Also, what's up with that stupid fairy cursor in the main game screen? It serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever.
2006-11-19, 10:45 PM #6
Makes me happy.

I was interested in getting a Wii...
but I just blew a grand on a PS3.

I pretty much always planned on getting the GC version anyway.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2006-11-19, 11:09 PM #7
We already knew links sword movements were not 1:1. Even though they aren't, it's still a welcome addition and it feels better than tapping a button. As for the speaker, turn down the level of sound on it. You can adjust it by hitting the home button and then clicking on your controllers options. If it's too loud it sounds annoying. Chances are your controllers volume is just maxed out. As for this game not offering much more than OOT, I think you should really play the game more before you make such a bold statement. The game is between 50 - 70 hours long, so I think a few hours into the game saying that OOT is pretty much the same thing as this is a stretch. The navi cursor is a way of telling where your reticule is on the screen. It isn't useless and once you get into the game you don't really notice it.

This version pretty much makes the Gamecube version pointless. It's the exact same game as the Gamecube version except it has better controls and widescreen support. What isn't to like?
Think while it's still legal.
2006-11-19, 11:30 PM #8
Zelda is the kind of Wii game that's meant to be played while sitting down, absent-mindedly flicking your wrist while the remote is resting on your lap.

You know what? I see where Vinny is coming from here. In Wind Waker I got used to being able to control the camera with the C stick and now it's gone. It's like a gigantic step back, and frankly I think the real reason sword slashing was moved to the wiimote is because they didn't have enough buttons to go around.

Honestly I don't think the game will be any "better" on the Gamecube though. I think you'll be looking at some pretty severe trade-offs no matter which system you get it for. A lot of the puzzles I've seen so far have been fine-tuned for Wiimote aiming, even though the combat has been dumbed down a bit so you don't get carpal tunnel after 10 minutes of play. But oh well, it's still a great Zelda game.

I have high hopes for Project Hammer, since from what I'm told it actually maps to the Wiimote.
2006-11-20, 10:49 AM #9
I wish you could look around with the wiimote.
2006-11-20, 10:53 AM #10
If you hit C on the nunchaku, you can.
2006-11-20, 10:53 AM #11
Isn't everything in the GC version mirrored with everything in the Wii version? I seem to remember reading that they used that as the explanation for why Link was right-handed in the Wii version (functionally to make Wiimote sword swinging make more sense of course).
2006-11-20, 10:59 AM #12
Yes, the Wii version has been mirrored. Link on the GC is left handed and Link on the Wii version is right handed. A lot of people think the Wii version will suck because you are actually seeing the game mirrored from what it was on the GC. If Nintendo hadn't told people the Wii version was mirrored nobody would care. The worst argument I've heard so far was 'The text is backwards on signs and stuff!'. Darn, I wish I could read hyrulian!
2006-11-20, 11:00 AM #13
The whole GAME is mirrored? I would have thought they'd just flip Link. :/
2006-11-20, 11:13 AM #14
Seriously?...
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2006-11-20, 11:19 AM #15
Originally posted by Jon`C:
You know what? I see where Vinny is coming from here. In Wind Waker I got used to being able to control the camera with the C stick and now it's gone. It's like a gigantic step back, and frankly I think the real reason sword slashing was moved to the wiimote is because they didn't have enough buttons to go around.

Nintendo's story is: At the E3 show Link still was left handed, and the slashing was on the B button, you could do the roundhouse slash and the downward stab by shaking the nunchaku or stabbing it down, the only offensive function the Wiimote had was doing a shield thrust with it. BUT they saw many (mostly right handed) gamers attempting to do sword attacks with the Wiimote anyway, so they sat back and thought "Why the heck not", and began throwing around the controls, and mirrored the whole game to make it work.

Personally, I might, just miiiiight pick up both versions for comparison's sake.
Seishun da!
2006-11-20, 12:35 PM #16
It does seem a bit ridiculous the mirror the whole game... Unless levels were previously designed in such a way that only a left-handed Link could possibly complete them...

Surely it would have made more sense to just let the player choose whether to be leftie or rightie...?
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-11-20, 1:12 PM #17
I'm tempted to get the Gamecube version as well.
2006-11-20, 3:34 PM #18
127 minutes into the game, I am not very impressed. I just escaped Hyrule Castle, collected the light tears for the first vessel, and was turned back into human Link. I have played my brother's save, though, which is about 7 hours ahead of mine, and tried the horse and shield and whatnot).
Sure, it's a good game, no major complaints, but so far, it's nothing incredible. The "sound effects" from the remote are annoying at worst, tolerable at best, and the bits involving doggy Link are weak.

The controls using the remote are not great, not poor. I find the whole "wiimote" concept to be used quite poorly in this game. Basically, instead of it being cool and fun, it's odd. You wiggle the thing and the sword moves. It doesn't correspond to your motion, just wiggle the thing, any way, and the sword moves. One type of swing only. Wow. Amazing. It's a Gamecube game with a fancy remote control.

I might just plug in my Gamecube control and see if it works, and if I like it better.
2006-11-20, 3:41 PM #19
Originally posted by Detty:
It does seem a bit ridiculous the mirror the whole game... Unless levels were previously designed in such a way that only a left-handed Link could possibly complete them...

Surely it would have made more sense to just let the player choose whether to be leftie or rightie...?

That would've been much preferable. But I guess this was easier, when you think about it. Imagine that if they only flipped Link's model, if a character would then hand him an item in a cutscene he'd be extending the wrong hand which would technically mean the item would be dropped on the floor since his wrong hand is extended. (although he'd probably get it in his hand by magic anyway)

And several other character interactions such as the scripted dodge & counterattack moves that you can do.

Of course, it might've been easier if they just stuck to the E3 control scheme.
Seishun da!
2006-11-20, 3:46 PM #20
Why is making left handed and right handed characters seem so difficult for game companies?
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2006-11-20, 4:54 PM #21
I played it on my friend's Wii. I have to say, it is my new favorite Zleda game to date, even surpassing OoT. My friend is a good 10 hours into the game. He thinks the same as me. :)
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2006-11-20, 5:06 PM #22
So I guess that 8.8 Gamespot gave wasn't too far off judging by some of these comments. I'm not planning on getting a Wii so I'll pick on the Gamecube version when it comes out.
2006-11-20, 5:21 PM #23
I'm about 10 hours in, finally getting the REAL Link, and it is pwn. Especially seeing him do the flashy sword-spinning thing as he puts it away, like in the trailers. So. Awesome.
2006-11-20, 7:43 PM #24
[QUOTE=Kieran Horn]Why is making left handed and right handed characters seem so difficult for game companies?[/QUOTE]

I believe it was because the levels were designed around a left-handed Link.

2006-11-20, 7:56 PM #25
which seems quite ridiculous, to be honest
Flickr Twitter
2006-11-21, 3:33 PM #26
I can walk on walls!
2006-11-21, 3:56 PM #27
Honestly I was unaware nor do I care that link was originally left handed. It has no bearing whatsoever on my overall enjoyment of the game.
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
A community dedicated to discussing all things entertainment.
2006-11-21, 4:35 PM #28
Quote:
which seems quite ridiculous, to be honest

Why? Without mirroring the entire game, cutscenes, animations, puzzles, and everything else would be messed up. If you play the game on the Wii you don't notice it's mirrored. Everything looks natural.
2006-11-21, 4:58 PM #29
[QUOTE=Victor Van Dort]Why? Without mirroring the entire game, cutscenes, animations, puzzles, and everything else would be messed up. If you play the game on the Wii you don't notice it's mirrored. Everything looks natural.[/QUOTE]

Unless you read Hyrulian. I mean, seriously, they could have at least kept the text the same! Now I can't read the signs!
2006-11-21, 5:17 PM #30
[QUOTE=Victor Van Dort]Why? Without mirroring the entire game, cutscenes, animations, puzzles, and everything else would be messed up. If you play the game on the Wii you don't notice it's mirrored. Everything looks natural.[/QUOTE]

That's a load of crap. If a puzzle specifically requires that the person doing them is left-handed, doesn't that strike you as a bit silly? Use of a decent animation system (you know, properly weighted limbs) should remove any issue of things looking wrong because they're going to the wrong hand (or you could just do the animations twice, it's probably not that hard).

Mirroring the entire game just seems like taking the easy way out and demonstrates a lack of willingness to do things properly.

I just can't comprehend any reasonable situation where having the option to switch between left and right-handedness should cause any problems, but then I haven't played the game. So how about you provide me with a proper example because otherwise i'm not going to be convinced.
Flickr Twitter
2006-11-21, 5:57 PM #31
Or maybe it was because the decision to make him right handed came about less than 6 months before its release, thus removing the ability to go back and change it?

See: The Zelda interviews on the Nintendo Wii site.
2006-11-21, 6:16 PM #32
they should at least allow left-handed players to play an unflipped game then, left-handed people make up a significant proportion of people (it's probably more amongst gamers actually due to the personality traits usually exhibitied by lefties)
Flickr Twitter
2006-11-21, 8:13 PM #33
[QUOTE=Victor Van Dort]Why? Without mirroring the entire game, cutscenes, animations, puzzles, and everything else would be messed up. If you play the game on the Wii you don't notice it's mirrored. Everything looks natural.[/QUOTE]In a cutscene early in the game, Link and a woman shake hands.

Left hands.

The thing is... obvious backwards stuff is jarring but you develop a kind of cognitive dissonance toward it, and your brain discards it as absurd. The subtle backwards stuff pulls you out of the game so hard that every last scrap of immersion is gone.

I just don't understand why they would have bothered in the first place.
2006-11-21, 8:20 PM #34
In a cutscene early in the game, Link and a woman shake hands.

Left hands.

The thing is... obvious backwards stuff is jarring but you develop a kind of cognitive dissonance toward it, and your brain discards it as absurd. The subtle backwards stuff pulls you out of the game so hard that every last scrap of immersion is gone.

Yeah it stands out so much that had you not said anything I wouldn't have ever noticed. Seriously. I didn't even know the game was mirrored till someone said something here.
2006-11-21, 8:58 PM #35
In a cutscene early in the game, Link and a woman shake hands.

Left hands.

Every last scrap of immersion is gone? Right. That's absurd.
2006-11-21, 9:38 PM #36
I didn't notice it was backwards either.

And if you want to play left handed, nothing's stopping you.

I love the fire temple boss. It's very obviously King Kong + The Balrog.
2006-11-22, 3:29 AM #37
If nothing's stopping me playing left-handed, what was stopping people playing right-handed before they mirrored it?
Flickr Twitter
2006-11-22, 4:19 AM #38
Nothing. But, in your right hand, you're holding something long and thin, and in the other you're holding a little nub. Which would you move to make his sword move?

Now, why moving the wiimote in your right hand can't just make link slash with his left, I don't know. It seems like the kind of thing that should be a configurable control option, and not have any effect on the game visually at all.
Wikissassi sucks.
2006-11-22, 5:13 AM #39
I've had the GC version on reserve for a year and I already have a GC. So, my solution is apparent.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2006-11-22, 5:37 AM #40
Originally posted by Detty:
If nothing's stopping me playing left-handed, what was stopping people playing right-handed before they mirrored it?

Besides over 3/4 of the world being right-handed? How dare they try to make it fit the average consumer!

↑ Up to the top!