Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Zelda: Twilight Princess
Zelda: Twilight Princess
2006-12-01, 5:50 PM #121
Yeah, TwiPri, while not having as many dungeons as other Zelda's, certainly has the best and most memorable ones...

Hmm... does it have less?

Twilight Princes: Forest, Death Mountain, Lakebed, Desert, Snowpeak, Time, Sky
Ocarina of Time: Forest, Death Mountain, Zora, Forest, Fire, Water, Shadow, Time

Yup.
2006-12-01, 5:55 PM #122
Zelda III is the best, it has the initial 3 before you get the master sword, then 7 more finding pieces of something or other, and finally, the last castle dungeon.

I think it's harder to make 3d dungeons than 2d dungeons, though.
2006-12-12, 10:37 PM #123
So is this even worth buying? Am I going to be as "wowed" as the day I bought an N64 and Ocarnia of Time?
2006-12-12, 11:12 PM #124
Sad :gbk:

Those of you who yell at me for judging a game before it's out need to stop ****ing doing that. I've been right every. single. time.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-12-12, 11:15 PM #125
It's your wheelchair that gives you your powers. We all know that. Stop taking credit for the chair's wisdom, Kirby, I mean really, what are you trying to put past us?
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-12-13, 8:05 AM #126
[QUOTE=Unknown User]So is this even worth buying? Am I going to be as "wowed" as the day I bought an N64 and Ocarnia of Time?[/QUOTE]
The game rocks, so yes.
2006-12-13, 12:49 PM #127
It won't wow you like Ocarina did, because Ocarina was totally new. Twilight Princess offers some new elements, but its basically the same gameplay as Ocarina.

That said, it's still an amazing game and definitely worth purchasing.
2006-12-19, 9:13 AM #128
I just beat my Gamecube version of Twilight princess, and will now proceed with a rant:

First off -- I'm not sure where people are getting that TP isn't aesthetically awesome. There were a few parts that were a little lacking, but most of it's just brimming with detail and life, especially compared to Wind Waker, which felt empty to even other Zelda games (probably because most of the time you're looking at plain ol' ocean). I don't consider myself one to really care about graphics, but especially when starting off in the game, it felt like I could go just examining details like I did with OoT and MM back in the day.

Some of the monsters didn't seem to put up a fight, but they took a page from Wind Waker and threw more of them at you at a time, which is good. The 50-level endurance cave makes a return too, which is awesome. I really think the moblin-things with the fire arrows in particular were a good enemy design/choice, especially combined with other normal enemies. Backslicing Iron Knuckles isn't as failsafe to beating them as some of you are making out either. I also didn't see how the final fight(s) took so long for some of you, though granted it's probably one of the longer boss fights in Zelda.

While the story is formulaic, it's better IMO than Wind Waker -- at least the end of Wind Waker -- which left me thinking "wtf?" Twilight Princess is definately trying to compensate for the "cute" of Wind Waker, going all out with the emo and the dark and badass and anime in parts, but strangely, it didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. Probably because it's really fun.

Again, length -- especially compared to Wind Waker, Twilight Princess feels fuller and more complete. No 3-D game will ever have the number of dungeons LttP does (and Brian, I agree that LttP is probably the best Zelda). Maybe I'm just a little bitter about WW because I had to pay Tingle for decoding those maps. Hate Tingle in WW, haaaaate. :mad:

I might post some more ranting later.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2006-12-19, 9:36 AM #129
I agree, I think the graphics are awesome. I don't get a lot of time to play it because I have work, a baby, Christmas shopping, etc. So I played it yesterday for the first time since my last post here. I unfroze zoras domain , which totally rocks -- everything seems so BIG in this game compared to the others. I thought OOT was lacking because everything was fakking square. Coming from Zelda III, which was 2d, but very detailed, OOT looked lame, IMO. This game, however, doesn't feel like that.

I still think the wolf sections are lame, though. Hopefully I just finished the last one, at lake hylia .
2006-12-19, 1:02 PM #130
Originally posted by Brian:
I agree, I think the graphics are awesome. I don't get a lot of time to play it because I have work, a baby, Christmas shopping, etc. So I played it yesterday for the first time since my last post here. I unfroze zoras domain , which totally rocks -- everything seems so BIG in this game compared to the others. I thought OOT was lacking because everything was fakking square. Coming from Zelda III, which was 2d, but very detailed, OOT looked lame, IMO. This game, however, doesn't feel like that.

I still think the wolf sections are lame, though. Hopefully I just finished the last one, at lake hylia .

After that point, there's one more wolf bit, but from then on you get the ability to transform freely from wolf to human. Then you only need wolf form for poes and a few dungeon puzzles.
2006-12-19, 1:23 PM #131
[QUOTE=Vincent Valentine] After that point, there's one more wolf bit, but from then on you get the ability to transform freely from wolf to human. Then you only need wolf form for poes and a few dungeon puzzles. [/QUOTE]
Cool, because I was afraid I was missing some of the stuff.
2006-12-19, 6:10 PM #132
Some more ranting, in order of me reading other people's posts from oldest to newest:

I agree with Steven about the lack of being able to play after you've beaten the game, but they've done that in all the Zelda games. Reseting the system after beating the game always bothered me, and I like having new little things to do once you've "completed" the game. Ah well.

I can see where Steven's coming from with the depth thing. It flowed a lot like an anime series, where they have situational characters. It didn't bother me that much though -- it really wasn't that much different from the other Zelda games in that regard, except for maybe Majora's Mask, because you see development of so many little people through the cycling of the 3 days.

I've already commented on my thoughts of the story.

The wolf form definately came off as plot-device-ish and railroading until you get the option to change form freely , but again, it didn't bother me, at least not like I was expecting it to before I played the game. I have to disagree with the sidequests -- while they may not be Majora's Mask, they were pretty fun. If you want to feel like your sidequests are a chore, play Minish Cap. UGH.

The dungeons were definately fun and sweet. There were a couple times when I didn't realize it was a dungeon until about 5 minutes or so into it, because it wasn't all "THIS IS A DUNGEON" like Zelda usually does, which was nice. Sadly, I got stuck on parts that I'm a bit ashamed about, like moving the statue across the scale because I didn't realize you could use the Dominion Rod on the little heads on the shelf . I was going to disagree on the weapons, but I think you're right Steven about them being more used throughout the game. They had some good stuff too, like the lantern, ball and chain, and double clawshots -- if they could combine the swinging of the grapple hook from Wind Waker into those, they'd be the sweetest weapons EVER .

I've been playing on the Gamecube, so controls seem normal, though even now I STILL want to press the start button for my inventory -- the items selection throws me off too much, though it isn't bad by far. I like how your hidden sword skills are like the parry in Wind Waker, but broken up, optional, and gives you more control rather than "press A to parry" -- however, the jump strike doesn't really seem to work for me . It makes for good action. The horseback is definately nice, but I still feel a little too invincible while on the horse with most bad guys. The normal moblins hardly put up a fight, though the beefier ones later are good . I wonder if some of the action was dumbed down because it's the same as the Wii version.

The game does come off as more formulaic, but I'm quite certain they made it that way because of the backlash from Wind Waker. The final fight with Ganon proves that if nothing else. .

Snowboarding is awesome, even if it's another thing that makes Link "cool" in this game.

Ganon should really referred to as just Ganon (I think he is referred to as Gannondorf in the backstory manual to LttP though, Brian, but I agree -- it's a stupid name). I understand the Gannondorf = human/Ganon = beast logic, but I'd rather it be Gannondorf = pre-Triforce of Power/Ganon = with Triforce of Power.

Isuwen: I think you're just getting better, because the dungeons are definately full-length dungeon size, unlike Ganon's Tower in OoT/Wind Waker, or using the Forsaken Fortress (which isn't really that big) TWICE in the game. Wind Waker might be bigger, but it FEELS emptier.

I'm actually a little sad that these games have been so linear. Yes, the player needs to know what they can do next, but there were several times in TP that I felt like I was being railroaded for no good reason. I should be able to try and at least enter any/some dungeons -- the older 2-D games allowed for it.

The magic armor is definately too limiting. It uses rupees slowly just when you're wearing it, AND your rupees go flying down the drain when you get attacked. If it does that, then after you lose your money it should just start draining hearts like normal. Or they could have it where you only lose rupees when you take damage or only a fixed amount over a period of time. I really didn't like the design of either of the other outfits, which I guess is a nice change of pace, with Link staying green throughout the game.

As for dungeons, I think it has approx. the same amount as OoT

OoT: Deku Tree, Death Mountain, Jabu-Jabu, Forest, Fire, Water, Shadow, Spirit, Ganon's Tower (1/2 a dungeon really). Total = 8 1/2 - 9.

TP: Forest, Death Mountain, Water, Arbiter grounds, Snowpeak, Temple of Time, Sky temple, twilight palace, hyrule castle. Total = 9.

And, because I'm bitter about WW, let's compare that one.

Wind Waker = Forsaken Fortress (1/2), Dragon Roost, Forbidden Woods, (oh look, they denied me a 3rd), Temple of the Gods, Forsaken Fortress (again!), Earth Temple, Wind Temple, Ganon's Tower (1/2). Total = 6 - 8 if you want to be generous. It's technically more than Majora's Mask, but again, Majora's Mask was jam-packed with detail and sidequests and such, whereas Wind Waker was big and empty. I mean, I know they were going for the whole ocean thing, but the ocean should have been more proportional to the landmasses like Hyrule Field and other open sections in TP is to their main parts (and they're still pretty big!)

The final fights with Ganon seemed lacking, but I think my standards just got too high or something, because it's certainly the largest boss battles in Zelda, and the different stages are nice. Zelda as Ganon's puppet was pretty cool, though the controls to tackle his beast form seemed too hard, whereas the controls for the horse fighting seemed too simple. I think the final stage would have worked better if their enclosed area had been seperated more naturally, like shattered earth making an impass, or a cliffside or something. The final battle with Ganon is both better and worse than the final fight with him in Wind Waker, because they give you more control in TP and not "use parry" like in WW, but... no, actually, nevermind. Most of the "con" comes from trying to use the hidden skills on him.

I am also very bummed out that, with this game being all about the dark and emo and whatnot and especially after they had that REALLY disturbing scene before the water temple where you see figures that look like Dark Link that Dark Link was not in the game. I know that scene wasn't meant to be literal, but I was really hoping they'd put it in, ideally as a sidequest like the Cave of Ordeals so they could require the use of the hidden skills. Link's got all these awesome moves, which get SOME use with some of the bad guys and with Ganon, but they really could have capitalized on it with a Dark Link battle. If they had included him though, it probably wouldn't have been that great like in OoT. Ah well .

Despite my "this game is dark and emo" and my initial reservations about how Nintendo was appeasing to the backlash, it ended up not really bothering me, and I'm not sure why.
2006-12-19, 6:27 PM #133
Also, this might only apply to the Gamecube version but did anyone experience a slight slowdown in system performance in the main hall of Hyrule Castle ? It just seemed strange that it'd be that part and not some other part of the game.
2006-12-19, 7:44 PM #134
Hey, I liked WW. It was too short, but I liked the story. Maybe I'm crazy, but I play Zelda for the story.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2006-12-19, 7:51 PM #135
[QUOTE=Chaz Ghostle]Hey, I liked WW. It was too short, but I liked the story. Maybe I'm crazy, but I play Zelda for the story.[/QUOTE]

I actually like most of the story in Wind Waker -- it's just the end that bothered me. The rolling credits had a crappy background too.
2006-12-19, 8:06 PM #136
The ending credits had an awesome medley. One of my favorite songs from any video game ever.

What didn't you like about the ending? It's been a while, so I forget exactly how it went, but I know I loved it.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
2006-12-19, 8:35 PM #137
I actually didn't remember much about the music.

OK, you go up on the roof to face Ganon, and he pimp slaps you, gaining the Triforces. WTF he's gonna pwn but no -- out of the woodworks the deus ex machina comes out (the King) and touches the Triforce first. OK, so he wishes for Ganon to be pimp-slapped by the gods, right? No, he asks for a "fighting chance" or some such, and the place starts to flood (isn't that what started this whole mess?). You fight Ganon, coo coo, and he gets stabbed and turned into stone. All I really remember after that is the King blathers on about some stuff that didn't really make sense, and they decide to sail off into a new land! The rolling credits had a repeating rising bubbles animation with the SAME ten faces over and over, whereas in the past, and in TP, they do a camera pan over the areas you've been. The story just didn't seem clear. TP actually has this problem too, replacing the King with Midna, but its moments aren't as bad and didn't have one big WTF moment at the end.

Also, I think I may have been dissapointed in TP's Ganon fight because in OoT, the surprise of Gannondorf turning into Ganon was more dramatic -- his heavy breathing and pulsing heart and lighting was just awesome. In TP, it felt a little more "ha, just kidding! you can't kill me." Oh yeah -- did anyone else think Ganon looked like Andross when he was the floating yellow magic head?
2006-12-20, 4:05 AM #138
Damn these spoiler-tag filled posts! Must resist having another Zelda spoiled!

I happened to like WW, too. Yes, it was short and easy, but it was fun. Plus, the ending was quite cool in my opinion; I didn't expect Ganon to be stabbed in the head in a game that had been pretty child-friendly up until that point. . I even enjoyed the sailing, to be honest.
2006-12-20, 10:25 AM #139
Maybe someday I will play through windwaker. I just hated the damn sailing, too :( It was so fakking boring.
2006-12-20, 12:31 PM #140
Sailing wasn't so bad after you had the ability to travel from one cyclone to another. They were all pretty close to any major places. I liked the sailing, for the most part. Of course, I also like pirates, so that might have had something to do with it.
2006-12-20, 12:54 PM #141
[QUOTE=Vincent Valentine]

Ocarina of Time: Forest, Death Mountain, Zora, Forest, Fire, Water, Shadow, Time
[/QUOTE]

You forgot the Spirit Temple
一个大西瓜
2006-12-20, 6:21 PM #142
Originally posted by Pommy:
You forgot the Spirit Temple

No, he mislabeled the Spirit as "Time" instead. Silly Vinny.
2006-12-22, 3:41 AM #143
I just beat Zant. I'm on my way to the final showdown.

↑ Up to the top!