Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → The meat industry
The meat industry
2007-04-16, 7:33 PM #121
Points taken. Thanks for the clarification :hist101:
2007-04-16, 7:34 PM #122
Quote:
The amount of idiocy that is present within this thread really makes me question whether or not 90% of the posters within said thread are mentally retarded.

It's true. I'm mentally retarded.:downs:
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2007-04-16, 8:09 PM #123
Futuramas Pobblers episode is on tonight, which is about vegetarianism. Its funny. Kinda weird its on tonight.
2007-04-16, 8:46 PM #124
Ha ha, I love how they describe the vegetarian as an "anti-eating activist". Oh, and:

"Get the hell off my property!"

"You can't own property, man."

"Yes I can, I have a job!"
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2007-04-16, 9:01 PM #125
Originally posted by Acharjay:
Rob, do you even know how sadly predictable you are?

Don't answer that. It's rhetorical. And you're on ignore.

Oh no! Oh me oh my!

I've been ignorred! WOE IS ME. MY POWER IS FADING LIKE SUPERMAN NEXT TO KRYPTONITE OR THE GREEN LANTERN NEAR YELLOW PAPER.

OH WAIT. I totally don't care. Thanks for sharing that you put me on ignore. CAUSE YOU KNOW YOU'RE IMPORTANT ON THE INTERNET AND WANT TO MAKE ME FEEL BAD.
2007-04-18, 5:05 PM #126
The thread seems to have changed directions, so I will respond to a few of the posts that have popped up, disregarding everything that was said before my previous post...

Quote:
People believe what they believe, and nothing you say can change that fact.

I disagree. I believe that people's minds do indeed change. I have changed my mind on a multitude of subjects during the course of my belonging to this forum (e.g. my religious point of view). That fact doesn't make me less intelligent than people whose minds haven't changed, it just means that I've focused my life on various other subjects and most likely wasn't exposed to many of the facts.

Quote:
And I still will not succumb to your bleeding heart viewpoint.

I'm assuming that you're referring to vegetarians in general, because you have no idea what my point of view is. However, many vegetarians become so for dietary or taste reasons, not for a "bleeding heart point of view". I myself began eating less meat because it's healthier. Once I began to eat less and less meat and focus more on exercising and eating properly (this is different from person to person), I began to read about alternative diets, such as vegetarianism, and soon found that I agreed with many of the vegetarian philosophies. I realize that you're generalizing, but that's a mistake, because you seem to be basing your opinions on an extremely narrow spectrum (I'm basing this upon how misinformed you are regarding the subject).

Quote:
Well, when you eat meat you get iron, fat and protein daily without having to go out of your way to obtain it. When you're a vegetarian/vegan it's MUCH MUCH HARDER.

You also get iron, fat, and protein daily without having to go out of your way to obtain it on a vegetarian diet. I realize that the general public is misinformed about this subject, and that you're simply regurgitating things that you've heard, but vegetarianism is now healthier and easier than ever. All of the major grocery chains carry vegetarian alternatives for a wide variety of popular foods, and they're exploding with nutrition. A simple Google search will provide you with more vegetarian health information than you could ever read. Researching the subject will change your mind within minutes. Hell, just take a look at the new food pyramid.

Quote:
I don't need to give you sources--go ask any nutritionist.

Have you asked a nutritionist? Here's what the American Dietetic Association has to say about the subject.

Quote:
You get a lot of things eating meat that you don't eating salads--that's why humans were MADE to eat meat. Think about it.

Vegetarians don't sit around eating salads all day long. As a matter of fact, there's very little nutritional value in a salad, compared to most vegetarian meals. I've been a vegetarian for 3 years or so and eat salad maybe once a month or so. I know many vegetarians that don't even like lettuce or many other green vegetables, yet they're easily able to eat healthy. Unfortunately, the general public seems to think that salad is the staple food of a vegetarian diet. I guess that's why it's the only ****ing thing that we can get at most restaurants.

Quote:
And since you don't like reading posts, you guys ARE SHOVING IT DOWN OUR THROATS. I'm just returning the favor. This entire thread was an action towards that end. Some might call it trolling, maybe, but in the end, if you didn't make threads trying to sway me to vegetarianism over and over and over and over and over again, I wouldn't feel the need to tell you how much I ****ing love steak.

Math is your friend. Take a look at the threads with the word "vegetarians" within and be shocked at how almost all of them are slanted against vegetarians. Read through each one and see how many posts were intended to be offensive towards vegetarians.

Quote:
And I've tried telling vegetarians why they're wrong, they don't listen.

Maybe they're listening but disagreeing? Sometimes we think that we see the world more clearly than others and if they don't agree with us, we think they're unenlightened. I know how you feel because that's how I feel as I'm typing this to you. As with many subjects, there may be no right and wrong. Vegetarianism is a philosophy or a way of life for many.

Quote:
Eating meat AND other products gives you a well-rounded wholesome diet, even usually when you're not even trying to eat healthy.

Getting too much of something can be just as bad as getting too little of something. There's a balance there and you seem to be overlooking this fact.

Quote:
Being a vegetarian automatically cuts out a lot of things you need to survive, so you have to compensate, and not a lot of vegetarians do.

That's not entirely true. If you take out the word "survive" and change it to the phrase "be healthy", I'll agree with you. However, the same can be said for people that eat meat and don't eat their vegetables (which is very common). Your point of view seems to be illogical to me. You keep stating things about one group while pretending that it isn't true of the exact opposite group.

Quote:
Meaning they're a necessary evil, and really, not too horribly evil. It could be a LOT worse.

Why are they necessary? Do you really believe that social and economic change impossible? Look at how drastically the agricultural industry has changed in the last hundred years. If it can change for the worst, why should we assume that it can't change for the better? Maybe I'm just an optimist. What is worse than torture and murder? Are we going to rape them as well? Send their souls to hell afterwards?

I'm personally not the type of vegetarian that goes around shoving my point of view in people's faces. However, when I see thread upon thread of vegetarian bashing for no reason whatsoever, I do get a bit irritated. I get harassed by meat eaters on a daily basis, without ever bringing up the subject of vegetarianism because they see vegetarianism as an evil liberal movement that threatens their way of life. They seem to think that by my not eating meat, I'm somehow making a statement (regardless of whether or not my lips move) about their morality. It's pure ignorance and while many vegetarians before us have given us a bad name, judging all vegetarians by their actions is shallow and illogical.
2007-04-18, 10:06 PM #127
Originally posted by MentatMM:
I disagree. I believe that people's minds do indeed change. I have changed my mind on a multitude of subjects during the course of my belonging to this forum (e.g. my religious point of view). That fact doesn't make me less intelligent than people whose minds haven't changed, it just means that I've focused my life on various other subjects and most likely wasn't exposed to many of the facts.

Try telling a Christian god doesn't exist. See how many times their mind changes on the matter. Same comes with this territory--people are VERY selective about their foods.

I'm assuming that you're referring to vegetarians in general, because you have no idea what my point of view is. However, many vegetarians become so for dietary or taste reasons, not for a "bleeding heart point of view". I myself began eating less meat because it's healthier. Once I began to eat less and less meat and focus more on exercising and eating properly (this is different from person to person), I began to read about alternative diets, such as vegetarianism, and soon found that I agreed with many of the vegetarian philosophies. I realize that you're generalizing, but that's a mistake, because you seem to be basing your opinions on an extremely narrow spectrum (I'm basing this upon how misinformed you are regarding the subject).

You obviously haven't met a lot of the "average" vegetarians. I'm not talking about the ones who are intelligent, because those are very much the minority. And yes, you do lose weight EASILY on a vegetarian/vegan diet...that doesn't mean you're healthy.

You also get iron, fat, and protein daily without having to go out of your way to obtain it on a vegetarian diet. I realize that the general public is misinformed about this subject, and that you're simply regurgitating things that you've heard, but vegetarianism is now healthier and easier than ever. All of the major grocery chains carry vegetarian alternatives for a wide variety of popular foods, and they're exploding with nutrition. A simple Google search will provide you with more vegetarian health information than you could ever read. Researching the subject will change your mind within minutes. Hell, just take a look at the new food pyramid.

Actually that's going out of your way fairly much for me. Soy is more expensive, and a lot of vegetarian diets are WAY more expensive than your average diet. That is if you want to maintain your health well. And I've researched the subject, seen the new food pyramid, and talked to a nutritionist about the pros/cons. The nutritionist told me it'd probably be better in the end to stick with eating meat, as you have to change your diet dramatically to adhere to vegetarian standards. Truth is, I've talked to two or three nutritionists on the matter, and they've all told me the same thing. And yes, they have graduated from whatever course you take to become a nutritionist--they were licensed. Don't get me wrong, not eating your veggies can also make you slightly unhealthy--but a lot of things that are in veggies aren't completely necessary. Iron and protein are PIVOTAL to your health and, yes, your survival, and hard to obtain on most vegetarian diets.

Vegetarians don't sit around eating salads all day long. As a matter of fact, there's very little nutritional value in a salad, compared to most vegetarian meals. I've been a vegetarian for 3 years or so and eat salad maybe once a month or so. I know many vegetarians that don't even like lettuce or many other green vegetables, yet they're easily able to eat healthy. Unfortunately, the general public seems to think that salad is the staple food of a vegetarian diet. I guess that's why it's the only ****ing thing that we can get at most restaurants.

It was an example. Yes, you can make excellent shishkabobs, you can replace meat with tofu and marinate it, blah blah I've heard everything you can eat. Honestly, tofu and, well, soy in general is one of the most disgusting products I've ever encountered, even "marinated and prepared properly", or so I assume it was. I'd rather eat my own hand before that ****. And stop disregarding I've said it's definitely possible to maintain a healthy diet as a vegetarian--you seem to be underestimating most people's definition of "easy". Finding health food stores, which are usually the only ones that sell **** geared towards vegetarians worth a damn (discounting the produce section of walmart/kroger/what have you), forking out almost double the money for meals, being almost completely unable to eat out at a lot of restaraunts (moreso at sit down ones, oddly enough), these are huge changes to a person's life/diet. Also getting the nutrients needed is extremely hard for people to do--nobody wants to look **** up.

Bottom line is, what you consider easy isn't what the american populace considers easy. We're talking about people who would rather eat a whopper every night of their lives than make themselves a good, wholesome meal, much less become people who eat only vegetables...honestly. Do you really think they could succeed?

Math is your friend. Take a look at the threads with the word "vegetarians" within and be shocked at how almost all of them are slanted against vegetarians. Read through each one and see how many posts were intended to be offensive towards vegetarians.

Excuse me, comprehension is your friend. I was talking about this thread in particular, the poster, and a few others. Read my post, don't read what you want into my post.

Maybe they're listening but disagreeing? Sometimes we think that we see the world more clearly than others and if they don't agree with us, we think they're unenlightened. I know how you feel because that's how I feel as I'm typing this to you. As with many subjects, there may be no right and wrong. Vegetarianism is a philosophy or a way of life for many.

No, they don't listen. They call me a horrible and unhealthy person before I even try to tell them my point of view on the subject. Most people can't accept other's differing points of view--that includes you obviously. You seem to think it's easy, fast, and fun to become a vegetarian! Good for you too! If you do it right, as I've said, yeah, it's not too too hard for people who watch their diet and cook a lot anyways. But it can still be unhealthy for those people, and only people who pay close attention to what they eat will be unhealthy and, yes, it can become life threatening, though maybe not for the person in question.

Getting too much of something can be just as bad as getting too little of something. There's a balance there and you seem to be overlooking this fact.

I'm not--it's just not as much of a deal with meat-based diets.

Why are they necessary? Do you really believe that social and economic change impossible? Look at how drastically the agricultural industry has changed in the last hundred years. If it can change for the worst, why should we assume that it can't change for the better? Maybe I'm just an optimist. What is worse than torture and murder? Are we going to rape them as well? Send their souls to hell afterwards?

You are an optimist--vegetarianism is more expensive, we're capitalists. Simple math.

I'm personally not the type of vegetarian that goes around shoving my point of view in people's faces. However, when I see thread upon thread of vegetarian bashing for no reason whatsoever, I do get a bit irritated. I get harassed by meat eaters on a daily basis, without ever bringing up the subject of vegetarianism because they see vegetarianism as an evil liberal movement that threatens their way of life. They seem to think that by my not eating meat, I'm somehow making a statement (regardless of whether or not my lips move) about their morality. It's pure ignorance and while many vegetarians before us have given us a bad name, judging all vegetarians by their actions is shallow and illogical.

Sounds like you're projecting your own experiences on this thread. This entire thread was made to bash meat eaters, and call them sick, disgusting people. At least that's how I see it. I don't bash vegetarians, but for the average person vegetarianism is not a good choice.
D E A T H
2007-04-18, 10:11 PM #128
Eh, being vegetarian is not hard. At all. At the same time, its just food, and it shouldnt matter to anyone but yourself what you eat. If you like meat, eat meat. If you don't like meat, don't eat it. Rather simple stuff isn't it?

And yes, I get bashed constantly for being vegetarian. I don't complain about what people eat.. I just order a vegetarian item at a restaurant or whatever, and suddenly I am a very bad person. Pretty lame.

o.0
2007-04-18, 10:35 PM #129
Vegetarianism - Serious business!
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-04-18, 11:18 PM #130
If I had to kill animals to get meat, I would.

In fact, if I were allowed to engage a cow in melee combat I would, and then I would harvest delicious tenderloin.

I just wish someone would agree with me that the disgusting part about this situation is how all of our meat is full of disease and chemicals. :(
2007-04-18, 11:41 PM #131
Originally posted by Jon`C:

In fact, if I were allowed to engage a cow in melee combat I would, and then I would harvest delicious tenderloin.

I just wish someone would agree with me that the disgusting part about this situation is how all of our meat is full of disease and chemicals. :(

Well I hate it, but not much you can do about it honestly. :\
D E A T H
2007-04-19, 12:29 AM #132
Originally posted by Jon`C:

All the antibiotics will lead to far worse things.
Pissed Off?
2007-04-19, 12:39 AM #133
I'm pretty sure you're aware that Jon is aware of that. So why did you say it? :confused:
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-04-19, 1:31 AM #134
I'm pretty sure that you're aware, that Avenger is aware, that Jon`C is aware of that. So why did you post it? :confused:

(I'm only posting this because it's 4am and it'd be really funny if this trend took off)
2007-04-19, 3:17 AM #135
I'm pretty sure that you're aware that it won't, even though Avenger probably is aware that Jon`C is aware that the antibiotics will lead to far worse things. So why bother? :confused:
幻術
2007-04-19, 3:23 AM #136
The thread seems to have changed directions, so I will respond to a few of the posts that have popped up,

Do you take any supplements? I can see myself going veggie in the near future and I'm not keen on the idea of supplements.
2007-04-19, 1:25 PM #137
Originally posted by Run:
Do you take any supplements? I can see myself going veggie in the near future and I'm not keen on the idea of supplements.

No, I don't. While it may be a good idea for many vegetarians to take supplements, I have my diet down to an art and am able to get everything I need without them.

I will try to respond to everything else later, just don't have the time at the moment...
2007-04-19, 1:38 PM #138
Quote:
Sounds like you're projecting your own experiences on this thread.

... And you aren't?

PS. I'm done with this thread
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2007-04-19, 2:17 PM #139
Originally posted by happydud:
... And you aren't?

PS. I'm done with this thread

Not in the same way, no.
D E A T H
2007-04-19, 3:51 PM #140
I love this thread!
Now im going too eat my beef burger with chicken fries and gravy.
2007-04-19, 5:27 PM #141
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
I love this thread!
Now im going too eat my beef burger with chicken fries and gravy.

lol welcome to three pages ago [http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k126/hyrax_of_love/emot-nyoron-w.gif]
Why do the heathens rage behind the firehouse?

↑ Up to the top!