Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Apparently This Ad Is Running Nationally Across America
Apparently This Ad Is Running Nationally Across America
2007-06-29, 9:11 PM #1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90SDkhwnEIo&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwarrenellis%2Ecom%2F

(reposted from Warren Ellis' blog)
幻術
2007-06-29, 9:30 PM #2
Conservative old Republican women.
Back again
2007-06-29, 9:35 PM #3
I live 115 miles from Canada

neener neener neener to you Calitexanites
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2007-06-29, 9:40 PM #4
Well, there should be some sort of fence, although that won't stop anything. I guess.

Of course, that's not what they were trying to get across when they ask "where's the fence?"
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2007-06-29, 9:52 PM #5
Border fencing is completely worthless.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-06-29, 10:29 PM #6
Also this damages relations with Mexico, as well as creating an image that the U.S.A. is a grumpy, selfish, nation that shuns its neighbors and denies them an opportunity to a half decent life. This is what this whole fence thing has caused here and in various countries. Is this really going to help the issue? Its obviously not going to stop people from entering the country, in fact, it might encourage them more, and lower the U.S.A.'s defenses because this fence gives them a false sense of security. If the U.S. can't work out a political solution that can allow aliens to be legalized and enter the country to work, then the problem will only grow worse.

Sad, but true.

Just my $0.02.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2007-06-29, 11:05 PM #7
:rolleyes: @ ad.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-06-29, 11:17 PM #8
Quote:
If the U.S. can't work out a political solution that can allow aliens to be legalized and enter the country to work, then the problem will only grow worse.

Worst idea ever.
2007-06-29, 11:24 PM #9
All in all your just another... wire in the... fence?

Doesn't have the same ring.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-06-29, 11:30 PM #10
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Worst idea ever.
What? How so? I'd say allowing legal migrant workers into the country in ways that make it easy to send them home when time is up is a pretty good idea.
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2007-06-29, 11:36 PM #11
This ad is such an offence.

... Or not, can't really care. [http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/garosaon/jumprope.gif]
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2007-06-29, 11:39 PM #12
Originally posted by JediKirby:
All in all your just another... wire in the... fence?

Doesn't have the same ring.

<3
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2007-06-29, 11:47 PM #13
Originally posted by SMOCK!:
What? How so? I'd say allowing legal migrant workers into the country in ways that make it easy to send them home when time is up is a pretty good idea.

Aye. That's the only kind of solution that will work.
Pissed Off?
2007-06-29, 11:50 PM #14
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
Also this damages relations with Mexico, as well as creating an image that the U.S.A. is a grumpy, selfish, nation that shuns its neighbors and denies them an opportunity to a half decent life. This is what this whole fence thing has caused here and in various countries. Is this really going to help the issue? Its obviously not going to stop people from entering the country, in fact, it might encourage them more, and lower the U.S.A.'s defenses because this fence gives them a false sense of security. If the U.S. can't work out a political solution that can allow aliens to be legalized and enter the country to work, then the problem will only grow worse.

Sad, but true.

Just my $0.02.

But we don't want people like you in our country. Duh.

Bring us the mexicans who aren't liars and don't steal.
2007-06-29, 11:51 PM #15
In my opinion it's not much of a problem in the first place. Certain people have taken it upon themselves to make it sound like the world is ending because a few people cross an imaginary line on the ground.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-06-30, 12:40 AM #16
How come they never thought of minefields?

It's like the lottery, only with mexicans and their lives.

Edit: And on a more serious note, let's build a big wall around England. That'll stop illegal immigrants.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2007-06-30, 12:46 AM #17
Originally posted by Freelancer:
In my opinion it's not much of a problem in the first place. Certain people have taken it upon themselves to make it sound like the world is ending because a few people cross an imaginary line on the ground.

Jesus Christ, thank you. The day a family crossing a line becomes a threat to national security is the day I wonder why we are afraid of 8 kids and a starving woman...
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-06-30, 1:43 AM #18
JediKirby, do you live ANYWHERE near a town/city that is affected by this? Like, oh, I dunno, on a day to day basis?

These people are coming over the border en masse, and I'm all for a big concrete wall to keep them out.

The government also needs to crack down on people hiring illegal workers. If they couldn't get jobs, they wouldn't have quite as much reason to come over here.

These people are breaking the law by crossing over into our country, and they should be treated like criminals... People work their butts off to get into the United States legally and get jobs, it's not a free walk across the border.

Bah. I'm not racist or anything, but I'd be all for a big Berlin wall to keep people out. And from a national security point of view, terrorists would have no trouble at all coming into the United States in huge numbers by crossing the border between the US and Mexico.
2007-06-30, 1:53 AM #19
Personally I think the whole idea of national borders and "countries" is an incredibly outdated concept, I hope that one day we outgrow all that nonsense. You don't need a line on a map to have a local community and identity, you don't need a line on a map to have pride about where you came from and where you live.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2007-06-30, 1:59 AM #20
Where is that big fence they were going to build to keep old ladies from going on road trips?!

I want that fence! :argh:
My blawgh.
2007-06-30, 2:25 AM #21

You forget the tax burden these illegals place on us. Their children are guaranteed a right to public schools for which they do not pay taxes to support. Our ERs are used like clinics, which balloon the costs for our health care industry (which doesn't need problems like that). It's estimated that 47 million people in the US do not have health care, but if you take out the 12-20 million illegals (how many exactly? nobody seems to know..) who cannot/will not obtain it legally, you can see where a good chunk of our skyrocketing insurance costs are going.

This is beyond the obvious fact that these people are here illegally. Not all illegals are border crossers; there are large sums of people who have expired visas and have not left the country (again, our government cannot give specific numbers). However, over 1 million illegals were arrested last year in attempted border crossings. That is a massive influx of people who are a drain on our government and subsequently, our economy. **** rolls downhill, which means you and I end up paying for it.

Illegals willingly crossed our borders and have begun a PR campaign where they are demanding the rights of legal citizens, yet they have shown no merit for obtaining it. Meanwhile, this is infuriating those who came here legally, and spent years and large sums of money wading through the bureaucracy and utter BS just to come here.

The part that really bothers me is that Mexico is unloading their lower-class people on us. They have brochures and instructions on how to cross, where to do it, and what to do when you get to the US. We have Mexican Embassies in our own country that are supplying this information to their people, and providing assistance for them to get a foothold in the country. These people are being used as a ****ed up source of revenue--many illegals send money back to their families in Mexico. Obviously, that's a shot in the arm for their feeble economy.

We are told by the international community that we are racists, when really we should have some sort of action taken against Mexico for this intentional violation of our sovereignty. France is undergoing similar problems with illegals, yet they are deporting and doing things that encourage them to leave. Miraculously, France is not frowned upon for enforcing their laws. We are doing nothing but debating the issue and we're somehow racists.

I have no problem with people coming to the US for a better life. However, I want it done legally. Illegal chain migration on this scale is going to cause our government entitlement programs to go bankrupt if nothing is done. Legalizing up to 20 million people will only speed this process up. We have to start somewhere, like enforcing the law. We cannot deal with a problem by doing nothing.
Current Maps | Newest Map
2007-06-30, 2:30 AM #22
I can just see it in 50 years

Russia: "Mr. President...Bring This Wall Down!"
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2007-06-30, 2:45 AM #23
Originally posted by Blood Asp:
You forget the tax burden these illegals place on us.
I am aware of the burden. But does anyone actually know how much? Until then, your point doesn't hold much water. For all you know, the savings passed on to American citizens by hiring them make up for the tax burden.

Quote:
Our ERs are used like clinics, which balloon the costs for our health care industry (which doesn't need problems like that). It's estimated that 47 million people in the US do not have health care, but if you take out the 12-20 million illegals (how many exactly? nobody seems to know..) who cannot/will not obtain it legally, you can see where a good chunk of our skyrocketing insurance costs are going.

A good chunk? According to your own numbers, non-resident aliens make up 5-7% of the American population. Even if every single one of them abused the health care system on a regular basis, that would not account for the increases we've seen in health care. There is a much, much larger factor contributing to health costs.

Quote:
This is beyond the obvious fact that these people are here illegally.

So...? The issue isn't whether it's illegal or not, the issue is whether it should be illegal or not. That's how laws change. Laws aren't set in concrete forever.

Quote:
We are told by the international community that we are racists

Really? That's news to me. Who exactly comprises your "international community?" At any rate, I certainly never called anyone a racist for advocating a closed border, nor do I believe it.

Quote:
we should have some sort of action taken against Mexico for this intentional violation of our sovereignty.
How is our sovereignty threatened by Mexicans crossing the border? We still have our sovereignty. And really, it's not Mexico's responsibility to muzzle its citizens. They decided themselves to cross the border.

Quote:
I have no problem with people coming to the US for a better life. However, I want it done legally.

That's the problem. You want it done legally. Well guess what? Those people aren't going to wait around for however long it takes to get in here legally, because it's too long. They're desperate now, and so they took their lives into their own hands. In a way, I say good for them because it's the only way anything ever's going to change.

Quote:
Illegal chain migration on this scale is going to cause our government entitlement programs to go bankrupt if nothing is done. Legalizing up to 20 million people will only speed this process up. We have to start somewhere, like enforcing the law. We cannot deal with a problem by doing nothing.

I think you're vastly overestimating the strain illegals place on our government programs and underestimating much more powerful factors, like international banking.
2007-06-30, 2:57 AM #24
I wonder how much they paid those mexicans in the commercial.
2007-06-30, 3:19 AM #25
I think you're vastly overestimating the strain illegals place on our government programs and underestimating much more powerful factors, like international banking.

Read up on the Heritage Foundation's recent reports. Some of this is a little irrelevant due to the bill going bust, but you can learn how harmful this issue is.
Current Maps | Newest Map
2007-06-30, 6:29 AM #26
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
If the U.S. can't work out a political solution that can allow aliens to be legalized and enter the country to work, then the problem will only grow worse.

They can immigrant legally. It just takes more time/money.

If you are so worried about Mexican/US relations, why doesn't Mexico do more about this? If the USA is coming off as a "grumpy, selfish nation" then Mexico is a nation that is no better.
2007-06-30, 6:45 AM #27
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Jesus Christ, thank you. The day a family crossing a line becomes a threat to national security is the day I wonder why we are afraid of 8 kids and a starving woman...

And we know it was a mother and 8 kids crossing the border how?

There's nothing really wrong for a nation atleast know who these people are that are entering our country.

On the contrary to the image of "8 kids and a starving mother," one could say there are also "gang members coming in, drug dealers and criminals." We don't really know.
2007-06-30, 7:01 AM #28
This is the most god-awful thread ever posted.
2007-06-30, 7:27 AM #29
Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me:

Unless you're brown.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2007-06-30, 7:43 AM #30
Originally posted by Jon`C:
This is the most god-awful thread ever posted.

You say that, like, twice a week.
2007-06-30, 7:52 AM #31
every time it's more true
2007-06-30, 8:13 AM #32
only one solution.

Shark moat.
2007-06-30, 8:25 AM #33
I'm for nuclear weapons to enforce borders.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2007-06-30, 8:47 AM #34
Originally posted by Axis:
I'm not racist or anything

Yes you are.

My only beef with illegals is that they don't pay taxes. You get them paying taxes and they can take all the jobs from lazy americans they want.
2007-06-30, 8:59 AM #35
Yo Mo****a's I'm Jon`Goddamn`C, I give this thread my seal of "I'm better than you, clowns," bwahahaaaaaegh.
2007-06-30, 9:06 AM #36
I'm for stemming immigration by destroying our own economy. That'll teach 'em to come here looking for better lives!
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2007-06-30, 9:12 AM #37
Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane:
I'm for stemming immigration by destroying our own economy. That'll teach 'em to come here looking for better lives!

hehehehe
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2007-06-30, 9:26 AM #38
Where is the fence?

Well, part of it is on Mexican soil. 3 million dollar mistake. Oops!
2007-06-30, 10:39 AM #39
Just make 'em citizens, I don't care how. As long as they pay the same we do, get the same benefits, and all that, I don't care.
Warhead[97]
2007-06-30, 10:49 AM #40
Originally posted by Rob:
My only beef with illegals is that they don't pay taxes. You get them paying taxes and they can take all the jobs from lazy americans they want.

Exactly. Plus, if people are willing to come to this country and do ****ty jobs like picking crops year after year, they've should be able to earn resident status by doing so.
Pissed Off?

↑ Up to the top!