Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I have returned to haunt you...
I have returned to haunt you...
2008-02-26, 11:23 AM #1
Atleast I hope this doesnt end like last time.

Well folks I am back, just to show off my latest nut idea, only this time its been different.

For the last 3 months I have been using Blitz 3D and learning some real programming. While I have learned quite a bunch, I still got a long ways to go before I can say ("I can make a video game"). But I have been making a small simple project, and I just reached milestone one.

I decided to start with a simple FPS that was not very complex. In fact I already got to the originally proposed goal (which was a 3D chat in first person view) that I have written from scratch, with help from various programmers who pointed me in the right way.

I dont want your acceptance or approval, I just want people to come over to our forums and help us improve our game. We need ideas, suggestions, contributions, and a friendly interactive community that will attract more people.

I know I am disliked here, but I come here just for some guidance. Not with a "OMG I AM GONNA MAKE THE GREATEST GAME EVER" annoyance threads I used to make. With what I have learned in the past 3 months I know what other users who are real programmers felt about me and how they laughed at me. I know they were right and I was wrong. I decided that the only way to fix it, is to do the work.

And well... here is what I have made so far.
Screenshots form start to current version
Main Forum Index (please do sign up)
Jesse Angell
Nothing to see here, move along.
2008-02-26, 11:32 AM #2
Well good luck with that. What language are you learning?
2008-02-26, 11:36 AM #3
Originally posted by Recusant:
Well good luck with that. What language are you learning?

Blitz 3D (aka Blitz Basic)

Its a very dumned down language, but it does the job.
2008-02-26, 11:42 AM #4
Those crates look neat, would be a cool start to make the game all look like that (texture wise, style wise) as it will make it easier to get consistant looking maps without going crazy.
Sneaky sneaks. I'm actually a werewolf. Woof.
2008-02-26, 11:45 AM #5
Why don't you learn...like...a real language? Or start with modding an existing game written in a real language?
Warhead[97]
2008-02-26, 11:46 AM #6
Originally posted by Oxyonagon:
Those crates look neat, would be a cool start to make the game all look like that (texture wise, style wise) as it will make it easier to get consistent looking maps without going crazy.

Well those crates are not actually part of the game, that was a test map that we quickly whipped up with the help of our main modeler Victor Glankis.

We haven't fully decided on a graphic style for the game, but I am sure we are going to go for a realistic feel/aim.

Feel free to join and post on our forums.

Originally posted by BobTheMasher:
Why don't you learn...like...a real language? Or start with modding an existing game written in a real language?

Learning C++ on the side... its not exactly the easiest feat in the world.
2008-02-26, 12:05 PM #7
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
In fact I already got to the originally proposed goal (which was a 3D chat in first person view) that I have written from scratch, with help from various programmers who pointed me in the right way.

:rolleyes:

Seriously, I can't be the only one who sees the direct link to the past here.
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2008-02-26, 12:10 PM #8
Well, he isn't talking about his dada so I don't know what "programmers" he's talking to now.

But this project will still fail.
2008-02-26, 12:10 PM #9
Trust me, you're not the only one. I'm laughing incessantly.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2008-02-26, 12:16 PM #10
Originally posted by Rob:
Well, he isn't talking about his dada so I don't know what "programmers" he's talking to now.

But this project will still fail.

Dreamora, Zetto, Josh (from leadwerks) and lots of other people from the Blitz Basic community forums.
2008-02-26, 12:17 PM #11
Atleast I hope this doesnt end like last time.

Well folks I am back, just to show off my latest nut idea, only this time its been different.

For the last 3 months I have been using Blitz 3D and learning some real programming. While I have learned quite a bunch, I still got a long ways to go before I can say ("I can make a video game"). But I have been making a small simple project, and I just reached milestone one.

I decided to start with a simple FPS that was not very complex. In fact I already got to the originally proposed goal (which was a 3D chat in first person view) that I have written from scratch, with help from various programmers who pointed me in the right way.

I dont want your acceptance or approval, I just want people to come over to our forums and help us improve our game. We need ideas, suggestions, contributions, and a friendly interactive community that will attract more people.

I know I am disliked here, but I come here just for some guidance. Not with a "OMG I AM GONNA MAKE THE GREATEST GAME EVER" annoyance threads I used to make. With what I have learned in the past 3 months I know what other users who are real programmers felt about me and how they laughed at me. I know they were right and I was wrong. I decided that the only way to fix it, is to do the work.

And well... here is what I have made so far.
Screenshots form start to current version
Main Forum Index (please do sign up)
Jesse Angell

Hahaha. Blitz is such a ****ing horrible language, and if you're any ****ing programmer worth his salt you're gonna give up on this "project" in a month. Which you're not, so 6 months down the road you'll realize that all the **** you WANT to do you CAN'T do in blitz (especially not after stealing code you don't understand :awesome:). If you've got any balls you'll give up Blitz and just learn C++--the inability to master that language is pretty much the inability to program for chrissakes. Trust me, the guy who's making the level editor for a game I'm working on (no, not programming, just random graphics ****) used blitz for the EDITOR, not even the game (done in C++ mainly) and regrets his decision. There's not even any ****ing real work you have to do in the editor except with menus.
D E A T H
2008-02-26, 12:18 PM #12
Dreamora, Zetto, Josh (from leadwerks) and lots of other people from the Blitz Basic community forums.

I'm sure they're all tards too.

That or you made them up and registered them so it would look like you have a team. More people to blame when more stolen work shows up, right?
2008-02-26, 12:23 PM #13
You can't post on the blitz forums unless you buy a copy, so theres no way I could have bought 8 blitz basic copies and signed them all up, especially since they have been there for 6 years or so.

Blitz Basic is a fine language if you know what you´re doing. If you are referring to the lack of DX9 support, we are experimenting around with an irrlicht wrapper, but its currently not stable enough to use with our client. The game works just fine up to this point, and there isn't a single thing we have planned that we can't do. Our game follows the KISS philosophy (Keep It Simple Stupid), therefore we can't fail. :P
2008-02-26, 12:24 PM #14
You can't post on the blitz forums unless you buy a copy, so theres no way I could have bought 8 blitz basic copies and signed them all up, especially since they have been there for 6 years or so.

Blitz Basic is a fine language if you know what you´re doing. If you are referring to the lack of DX9 support, we are experimenting around with an irrlicht wrapper, but its currently not stable enough to use with our client. The game works just fine up to this point, and there isn't a single thing we have planned that we can't do. Our game follows the KISS philosophy (Keep It Simple Stupid), therefore we can't fail. :P

Um, my friend is 16 and probably knows more about programming than you (is extremely prevalent in Blitz and knows C and C++ pretty well too) so I'm kinda curious as to how you can claim it's a "perfectly fine language" when according to him it's "complete **** and something he should have never started on".
D E A T H
2008-02-26, 12:25 PM #15

But you will fail.

That is, unless the other tards programming in the tard language are the ones actually doing all the tard work and you're just tagging along like poop stuck to a dog's ***.
2008-02-26, 12:31 PM #16
10 DRAW LEVEL
20 DRAW GUN
30 PRETEND CUBE SAMPLE APP IS A FPS
40 GOTO 10
2008-02-26, 12:31 PM #17
I have no idea Yoshi, but this language works fine for me. I haven't had any type of problems with it. Sure I don´t like the lack of various general commands and larger data types, nor do I like that all blitz 3d apps are single threaded and consume all available CPU power, but this gets the job done. I have future plans for converting this some day to blitz max, which is far better than blitz 3d, especially with all the 3D engines being developed for it.
2008-02-26, 12:38 PM #18
Guys, leave him alone. He went away for a while, it seems like he's learned a little bit, at least. He's made some progress (not talking about his game or whatever, I'm talking about progress growing up), so give him a chance.

If he returns to 2007-levels of stupid, then return to 2007-levels of bashing him for the stupidity. But he came back here asking for actual advice, not insults.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2008-02-26, 12:41 PM #19
Originally posted by happydud:
Guys, leave him alone. He went away for a while, it seems like he's learned a little bit, at least. He's made some progress (not talking about his game or whatever, I'm talking about progress growing up), so give him a chance.

If he returns to 2007-levels of stupid, then return to 2007-levels of bashing him for the stupidity. But he came back here asking for actual advice, not insults.

Dude, this is like exactly the same crap he's been pulling since like forever.

Nothing has changed.
2008-02-26, 12:49 PM #20
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
just learn C++--the inability to master that language is pretty much the inability to program for chrissakes.

C++ is one of the more complex programming languages for a large number of reasons, not the least of which is a fundamental design inconsistency. It is popular and well-liked for exactly the same reasons as Perl. I would never recommend C++ for a new programmer because without a fundamental understanding of compiler theory you'll never be able to take enough advantage of C++ to make the language worthwhile for you.

You can be an effective programmer if you have a working knowledge of just about any formal language. Procedural is a good place to start, functional is important for data processing and mathematics and object-oriented is important for real-world applications. Blitz Basic is important if you want to program something laughably primitive but you're too busy taking siestas to learn the actual math behind it.
2008-02-26, 12:52 PM #21
I have no idea Yoshi, but this language works fine for me. I haven't had any type of problems with it. Sure I don´t like the lack of various general commands and larger data types, nor do I like that all blitz 3d apps are single threaded and consume all available CPU power, but this gets the job done. I have future plans for converting this some day to blitz max, which is far better than blitz 3d, especially with all the 3D engines being developed for it.

He uses Blitz Max for the editor. Drop that ****ty language and go learn a real one, now. If you ever want to get anywhere, I can guarantee you trying to accomplish the creation of a 3d game in Blitz will not take you there--it just ****ing won't. Learn C/C++, learn how to use OpenGL, and then attempt a few 2d games before you start in on something like this. Chances are, if you can't understand C/C++ then you should not be trying to make a game.

Originally posted by Jon`C:
C++ is one of the more complex programming languages for a large number of reasons, not the least of which is a fundamental design inconsistency. It is popular and well-liked for exactly the same reasons as Perl. I would never recommend C++ for a new programmer because without a fundamental understanding of compiler theory you'll never be able to take enough advantage of C++ to make the language worthwhile for you.

You can be an effective programmer if you have a working knowledge of just about any formal language. Procedural is a good place to start, functional is important for data processing and mathematics and object-oriented is important for real-world applications. Blitz Basic is important if you want to program something laughably primitive but you're too busy taking siestas to learn the actual math behind it.

While I agree, if he already knows Blitz getting C down to the point where you can at least pump out a few simplistic programs (hangman, tetris) on it should be cake. Trying to throw Blitz into the creation of a 3D game just won't ****ing work though, hell trying to create a 2D level editor is already causing my friend problems and he uses the "more advanced" version. Also, I don't really enjoy the thought of paying for a programming language.
D E A T H
2008-02-26, 12:52 PM #22
Um, my friend is 16 and probably knows more about programming than you (is extremely prevalent in Blitz and knows C and C++ pretty well too)

If you want to smack Gold down by calling him ignorant, fair enough. (Kinda like shooting fish in a barrel though) But if you're going to do that, don't try to sound smarter by using words you don't know the meaning of.
2008-02-26, 12:53 PM #23
Looks like the Goldeneye engine from N64
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2008-02-26, 12:57 PM #24
Originally posted by Recusant:
If you want to smack Gold down by calling him ignorant, fair enough. (Kinda like shooting fish in a barrel though) But if you're going to do that, don't try to sound smarter by using words you don't know the meaning of.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=prevalent

You're right, I used the wrong word. It happens from time to time and I usually catch it. I meant to say proficient. It's not that I don't know the meaning, I just get mixed up on similar sounding words with similar meanings *shrug*
D E A T H
2008-02-26, 1:07 PM #25
Originally posted by Rob:
Dude, this is like exactly the same crap he's been pulling since like forever.

Nothing has changed.

I wholeheartedly agree. I get deja vu every time I see Gold post one of these "I'm back, and look at the cool things I've learned!" threads. I mean, maybe the first time he did this we could have taken a step back and given him the benefit of the doubt, maybe even the second time, but the third time, the fourth time? When does it end? What puzzles me the most is that he's attempted to do this so many times on these forums, you'd think that he would have found a new forum by now to try and impress.
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2008-02-26, 1:08 PM #26
While I agree, if he already knows Blitz getting C down to the point where you can at least pump out a few simplistic programs (hangman, tetris) on it should be cake.
It's a nice theory, but a working knowledge of C requires a comprehension of memory addressing and calling conventions. Someone familiar with Blitz would be inclined to, for instance, pass a large structure on the stack instead of the heap.

Quote:
Trying to throw Blitz into the creation of a 3D game just won't ****ing work though, hell trying to create a 2D level editor is already causing my friend problems and he uses the "more advanced" version.
Why would he use Blitz for the editor when C# is completely free and actually good?

Quote:
Also, I don't really enjoy the thought of paying for a programming language.
You aren't paying for a programming language. When you buy Blitz you're paying for a game engine with a somewhat-powerful scripting language bolted onto it. A good analogy would be mixing mud and straw for free, or buying bricks. And paying a bricklayer. Also the bricklayer will only build walls of a specific size and arrangement, but you can pick which arrangement you want. Sometimes. Depending on how the bricklayer feels about it.

Something people aren't focusing enough on in this thread is the fact that BlitzBASIC is the language of choice for lazy people. SF_GoldG_01 is a living Mexican stereotype. I am not kidding. An hour ago the kid came into #massassi and told us that he "doesn't have carpets because they're hard to keep clean." Because he's too lazy to clean them.
2008-02-26, 1:11 PM #27
Originally posted by Dark__Knight:
I wholeheartedly agree. I get deja vu every time I see Gold post one of these "I'm back, and look at the cool things I've learned!" threads. I mean, maybe the first time he did this we could have taken a step back and given him the benefit of the doubt, maybe even the second time, but the third time, the fourth time? When does it end? What puzzles me the most is that he's attempted to do this so many times on these forums, you'd think that he would have found a new forum by now to try and impress.

Shut up davecat.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2008-02-26, 1:14 PM #28
Do you guys ever wonder if, at one point, SF_GoldG_01 namedropped us on other forums too?
2008-02-26, 1:21 PM #29
An hour ago the kid came into #massassi and told us that he "doesn't have carpets because they're hard to keep clean." Because he's too lazy to clean them.

To be fair a lot of people don't have carpets for this reason. Not like, vacuuming, but periodic steam cleaning etc. can be difficult.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-02-26, 1:22 PM #30
Do you guys ever wonder if, at one point, SF_GoldG_01 namedropped us on other forums too?

Did he?

I know for a while he was stalking me. Which is pretty ****ing creepy.
2008-02-26, 1:27 PM #31
Oh do tell.
When was that?
2008-02-26, 1:30 PM #32
Originally posted by Emon:
To be fair a lot of people don't have carpets for this reason. Not like, vacuuming, but periodic steam cleaning etc. can be difficult.

Yeah, but that's... like... very periodic.

Besides, people who don't like the maintenance of carpet tend to go for things like laminates, hardwoods and ceramic tiles. Sometimes vinyl tiles and lineoleum if they're really cheap. I think SF_GoldG_01 meant he had bare OSB floors.
2008-02-26, 1:42 PM #33
Hey, guys. Wanna stop being complete and utter douchebags for about 30 seconds?

Ok, time's up. You keep doing your thing.
DO NOT WANT.
2008-02-26, 2:00 PM #34
Real men program only in Assembly. 6502 Assembly.
:master::master::master:
2008-02-26, 2:05 PM #35
I really think you'd be better off creating a TC mod for a game with an existing engine. If you want to get recognition or experience that would be by far the best way to do it. Why are you using this program thing? It's kind of pointless.

I would recommend Source, or Crytech 2 if your looking for a more long term project. That'll be a great engine for modding once it gets into vogue, and hardware finally catches up with it. It'd also ease up the load on the texture artists and molders somewhat.
2008-02-26, 2:05 PM #36
Yeah, but that's... like... very periodic.

Don't you mean not very periodic? :v:

english :psyduck:
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-02-26, 2:06 PM #37
Source is great.
2008-02-26, 2:15 PM #38
Originally posted by Emon:
Don't you mean not very periodic? :v:

english :psyduck:

:psyduck:
2008-02-26, 2:16 PM #39
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
I really think you'd be better off creating a TC mod for a game with an existing engine. If you want to get recognition or experience that would be by far the best way to do it. Why are you using this program thing? It's kind of pointless.

I would recommend Source, or Crytech 2 if your looking for a more long term project. That'll be a great engine for modding once it gets into vogue, and hardware finally catches up with it. It'd also ease up the load on the texture artists and molders somewhat.

This is probably the best advice.
:master::master::master:
2008-02-26, 2:35 PM #40
It's a nice theory, but a working knowledge of C requires a comprehension of memory addressing and calling conventions. Someone familiar with Blitz would be inclined to, for instance, pass a large structure on the stack instead of the heap.

It's still not that difficult of a concept. What I'm getting at is yeah, it might be kinda hard, but learning how to utilize it is important. If he can't, then chances are he's not cut out for the industry he's looking to go into. Valid point though.

Why would he use Blitz for the editor when C# is completely free and actually good?

He started on it when he was like 14 and built on. About the time he started doing some more intensive stuff with it (camera boundaries, adding in things like item/class editors) he ran into problems, and has had to work around the language since. I've thought of suggesting he rewrite it in a decent language, but he is kinda lazy so yeah.

You aren't paying for a programming language. When you buy Blitz you're paying for a game engine with a somewhat-powerful scripting language bolted onto it. A good analogy would be mixing mud and straw for free, or buying bricks. And paying a bricklayer. Also the bricklayer will only build walls of a specific size and arrangement, but you can pick which arrangement you want. Sometimes. Depending on how the bricklayer feels about it.

Ah, gotcha.

Something people aren't focusing enough on in this thread is the fact that BlitzBASIC is the language of choice for lazy people. SF_GoldG_01 is a living Mexican stereotype. I am not kidding. An hour ago the kid came into #massassi and told us that he "doesn't have carpets because they're hard to keep clean." Because he's too lazy to clean them.

Very true. It's pretty sad, really, but hey, just like that black kid who goes around waving his '9 milli' to all his thug friends and has ten pounds of marijuana in his trunk, or just like the white kid whose parents make 200k a year respectively and he still acts like a "thug" at school (even though the idea/mentality of a thug came about from poor kids trying to make money through selling drugs :hurr:), there will always be people who perpetuate the stereotype.
D E A T H

↑ Up to the top!