Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I have returned to haunt you...
I have returned to haunt you...
2008-02-26, 3:21 PM #41
Quote:
using Blitz 3D and learning some real programming.

Logical paradox. :psyduck:
2008-02-26, 4:18 PM #42
AHHA! and i have returned to haunt your goldie boy! how do you like them apples!? :ninja:
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2008-02-26, 5:43 PM #43
Originally posted by Darth_Alran:
AHHA! and i have returned to haunt your goldie boy! how do you like them apples!? :ninja:

Every time I hear that phrase, this is what goes through my mind:

Quote:
Dude#1: Do you like apples?

Dude#2: I'm a nut man.

*kicks Dude#1 in the nuts*

*Dudes fight some more*

*Dude#2 takes a lightsaber blade through the stomach*

Dude#1: I impaled you! How do you like them apples?
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2008-02-26, 5:50 PM #44
And, as usual, Gold disappears. What a character (I don't mean that in a good way.)
D E A T H
2008-02-26, 5:50 PM #45
wtf? 0.o
DO NOT WANT.
2008-02-26, 5:52 PM #46
Hey SF_Gold:

I have a proposition for you. I'm willing to bet massassi will give you an ounce of equality/acceptance if you work on and complete an entire project. I'm willing to do it with you. I have a very very basic flash game I want to make, and if you code it, I'll design the graphics. I have already completely coded a basic version of the game, but I hate coding and want to do a few more complex things.

If you learn enough Actionscript to make *pong* you'll be able to program this game. If you're interested in this proposition, e-mail me at the e-mail in my signature, and I'll send you the design document. We'll release it under some crazy studio title and upload it to kongregate.com and people will start to halfway respect you and your work.

I guess I'll look like an idiot for even suggesting working with you, but I'm willing to see you get something done.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-02-26, 6:29 PM #47
I came in this thread thinking Gold was going to say, "I am starting a mod for HL2" and I would have given a thumbs-up. Seriously, taking available, well documented and well known resources (such as in the field of modding) and starting from there seems like an excellent way of learning the very basics of game design. Why choose a relatively unknown engine and limited scripting language to start a game-orientated project? Why buy a $100 engine when you can have better success with modding tools of games that cost $50 and less? If you're trying to learn the fundamentals of designing in a game environment, I seriously don't see how it's a good investment to buy some strange engine instead taking the time to tinker around with what is easily obtainable and understandable in SDKs of current games. Source engine, Unreal engines, Doom 3 engines, Crytek engine, etc. are all available as solid mediums for your ideas. Flash is too.

It does seem like deju vu. I am telling the truth when I mentioned I would praise him if he decided to take it simple and start something like a mod group. Or even a project for a flash game. He seems to have a team going and some determination, but instead of taking the time to "test the waters" he goes head first into this whole thing. Didn't he purchase a game engine license last time we had a thread like this? How many game engine licenses he bought already? 3? At what price each?

I mention game engines as "solid mediums" for ideas because that's what he got at this point of developing game-designs skills: just ideas. People don't build sculptures without drawing out concepts. People don't design architectural projects in my department in college without playing around with a pencil and scraps of chipboard. I've said in the last thread that it's best to start simple. Other Massassians have been saying the same thing. Honestly, how do those screenshots show ANYTHING, and, more importantly, why would you show ANYTHING at this point of development? Yes, it's critical to pick tools that will ultimately give you a learning experience, such as C# over whatever the hell Blitz scripting has to offer, but its not even a matter of learning programming now. It's a matter of learning the principles of game design at this point. I'll say it again, the principles. Game engines provide a vast well of tools that would help you learn these concepts. You don't have to worry about rendering, most of these games can compile work with ease. You don't have worry about physics, it's provided for you. Netcode? No problem. It's all about manifesting your ideas at a comfortable and intelligent pace, not hacking away at some obscure engine offered in some corner of the internet.

Dammit.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-02-26, 7:30 PM #48
Originally posted by Echoman:
Game engines provide a vast well of tools that would help you learn these concepts. You don't have to worry about rendering, most of these games can compile work with ease. You don't have worry about physics, it's provided for you. Netcode? No problem. It's all about manifesting your ideas at a comfortable and intelligent pace, not hacking away at some obscure engine offered in some corner of the internet.

Dammit.

I am not using a game engine. I have to calculate my own physics, I have to tell it to detect collisions and how to respond. I have written from scratch my own UDP client and server netcode, which took me about two full weeks of stress to get the first working version. You should try blitz basic before you actually bash it. There is a free old working demo somewhere, thats not bigger than 40megs, and allows you to write programs less than 700 lines of code, and run them, but not create executables.

It was a very big challenge to get to where I got, and I´m not just gonna through a way my program just because someone thinks that its not gonna ever work.

@Kirby - I don't like flash games at all, only a few. I don't like the idea of making a flash game without money upfront. I am working on my own game and I plan to finish this one within the next two months. I wont be posting here too often as I have lots of things.
HOWEVER. If you are interested in a blitz 2D/3D game, I can do that for you, but it will be second place of my priorities.

Just send me your ideas via MSN (YES THATS ME! Sorry I posed as a girl every now and then).
Nothing to see here, move along.
2008-02-26, 7:37 PM #49
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
I am not using a game engine. I have to calculate my own physics, I have to tell it to detect collisions and how to respond. I have written from scratch my own UDP client and server netcode, which took me about two full weeks of stress to get the first working version. You should try blitz basic before you actually bash it. There is a free old working demo somewhere, thats not bigger than 40megs, and allows you to write programs less than 700 lines of code, and run them, but not create executables.

[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/Echoness101/ugh.jpg]

Quote:
(YES THATS ME! Sorry I posed as a girl every now and then).

[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/Echoness101/ugh2.jpg]
2008-02-26, 8:18 PM #50
Originally posted by JediKirby:
I'm willing to bet massassi will give you an ounce of equality/acceptance

This will probably never happen.

Ever.

Seriously, the guy is a god damn thief. An unscrupulous character.
2008-02-26, 8:30 PM #51
@Kirby - I don't like flash games at all, only a few. I don't like the idea of making a flash game without money upfront. I am working on my own game and I plan to finish this one within the next two months. I wont be posting here too often as I have lots of things.
HOWEVER. If you are interested in a blitz 2D/3D game, I can do that for you, but it will be second place of my priorities.

Hahaha. No one's going to pay you to do a two day flash game. I'm offering you a chance to actually complete something. And I'm not going to feed you FPS ideas. The only thing I'd come up with is something you couldn't possibly achieve.

I just offered you a means to redeem yourself that I think many massassians would be proud to see, and it might gain you more interest from others to help with your generic looking FPS "project."
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-02-26, 8:33 PM #52
ugh.jpg

Your problem is that you're trying to use reason with him. We know from previous occasions that he is immune to all forms of clear-thinking and will become agitated the more you try to use it. He will not learn, not even through failure. He will just attempt something new and most likely more grandiose. It's fruitless to get worked up over it.
:master::master::master:
2008-02-26, 8:33 PM #53
I don't think this kid understands the concept of "advertisement".

You gotta get your name out there somehow. Trust me, me and my friends know this
D E A T H
2008-02-26, 8:33 PM #54
Best post ever.

BWAHAHA!
2008-02-26, 8:43 PM #55
Originally posted by stat:
He will just attempt something new and most likely more grandiose.

It honestly wouldn't take much to get more grandiose than what we saw linked in the first post.
2008-02-26, 8:53 PM #56
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Hahaha. No one's going to pay you to do a two day flash game. I'm offering you a chance to actually complete something. And I'm not going to feed you FPS ideas. The only thing I'd come up with is something you couldn't possibly achieve.

I just offered you a means to redeem yourself that I think many massassians would be proud to see, and it might gain you more interest from others to help with your generic looking FPS "project."

I said I would make your game, but not in flash.
2008-02-26, 8:54 PM #57
He wasn't really asking you to make him a game, tard.

He was asking you to make A game.

Giving you an outline of what he thinks you might be capable of. (You probably aren't, and would just copy someone elses code and art)
2008-02-26, 9:02 PM #58
Too late. Someone far more capable has offered to do it, and in a language that isn't for lazy :downs:
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-02-26, 9:06 PM #59
Oh and dont worry, I already planned my game out. I reached my original plan, and now I am expanding. Various new features and screenshots along with videos will show the game play as its being developed.

Good night.

EDIT: I will keep being lazy. I like who and what I am. I see no reason to change.
2008-02-26, 9:07 PM #60
Do you plan for suck? Or is that unintentional?

I mean, I know how hard it must be getting someone elses work to work for you. What with not understanding it and all.
2008-02-26, 9:10 PM #61
really, it's old news, it happened. If everyone clung as tenaciously to stupid things I've done in my lifetime as you've done to him, I would go nuts.

Also, you have to learn tactics. Don't write me off here, I speak the truth. If you continue to adamantly jump down his throat for no real reason, you become the douche. Your goal is to inform people that he's the villain. That doesn't work while you're busy making yourself the villain. Worse yet, with your tactics, people start to pity him, which is not what you're going for.

Sit on your hands for a while. If he screws up again, you'll be right. If he doesn't, let bygones be bygones.
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2008-02-26, 9:14 PM #62
You probably weren't here for the last 20 times he's pulled this.

In many of them he has tried to pass someone elses work off as their own.

That'd be like I stole yout voice, recorded an album, and made all the money from it taking all the credit.
2008-02-26, 9:16 PM #63
I'm aware of the concept of theft and plagiarism. And at this point we're all aware that he did it. I'm just saying if you're looking for him to be the bad guy, don't make yourself one. It raises sympathy for the other cause. Very counter effective.
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2008-02-26, 9:20 PM #64
I love these threads. Glad to see you SF_GoldG.

*grabs popcorn*
Naked Feet are Happy Feet
:omgkroko:
2008-02-26, 9:28 PM #65
Originally posted by Chewbubba:
It honestly wouldn't take much to get more grandiose than what we saw linked in the first post.

Yes, but it's a pretty big project for someone who doesn't know what they're doing. An entire game, even if it's not a flashy one still requires a lot of work. It's like taking your first semester of French, and getting really into it. Instead of doing something like joining the French club, you run off the France and run to be the treasurer for a small French village. Sure it's not that big of a deal, but it's damn near impossible if you have no idea what you're doing, and have barely any grasp on the basics.
2008-02-26, 9:30 PM #66
Originally posted by sugarless5:
I'm aware of the concept of theft and plagiarism. And at this point we're all aware that he did it. I'm just saying if you're looking for him to be the bad guy, don't make yourself one. It raises sympathy for the other cause. Very counter effective.

I don't really feel more sympathetic for Gold. Maybe if this was his second or third idea, then I might be a little put off by the ridicule. But after the twentieth time, Rob's approach of beating him over the head with the same advice seems to be the only realistic solution.
2008-02-26, 9:46 PM #67
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Trust me, me and my friends know this

I quit watching when your friend said he was having a hard time getting his editor to "sync up" with the engine code.
2008-02-26, 9:50 PM #68
Wow, you guys are harsh. I'm sure I started 10x more projects than I ever completed. I'd bet the same is true for most of the people posting here. Give him a chance to complete the game and judge it on how fun it is, not based on which language its written in.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2008-02-26, 10:03 PM #69
No one said failure in not a learning experience. Failing is the best way learn something (yay for cliches). But when it's the same thing over and over, there's a problem. The way he does things really hasn't changed over the years.

It's not like we are being mean to him out of the blue. He posted the thread, no? I assume he wanted criticism of some sort, no? Well, we had thing to say.
2008-02-27, 12:48 AM #70
The only good this thread is for, is for FREE POSTS! :downs:
Mmmm.
2008-02-27, 1:49 AM #71
I am not using a game engine. I have to calculate my own physics, I have to tell it to detect collisions and how to respond.

That's retarded. There are numerous free, high quality physics engines available. Why are you reinventing the (literal) wheel. That's stupid.

I have written from scratch my own UDP client and server netcode

Also colossally stupid.

If you want something to make writing games easier, you should be looking at things like XNA.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-02-27, 4:22 AM #72
Originally posted by Jon`C:
I quit watching when your friend said he was having a hard time getting his editor to "sync up" with the engine code.

Yeah. To be fair, he's only 16, and this is his first project bigger than tetris.
D E A T H
2008-02-27, 4:22 AM #73
Originally posted by SithGhost:
I don't really feel more sympathetic for Gold. Maybe if this was his second or third idea, then I might be a little put off by the ridicule. But after the twentieth time, Rob's approach of beating him over the head with the same advice seems to be the only realistic solution.

Except it hasn't solved anything, and never has. So you'd really just be doing it for kicks.

Neither could Gold have won if he had taken up Kirby's offer, since even if he completed it successfully I'm willing to bet that people would have criticised him for not being able to stick to one project at a time.

Sometimes I really do wish he'd give up posting about his projects here, and just try to contribute to the discussions instead.
2008-02-27, 4:51 AM #74
http://mercenaryfrontline.rama-int.com/MF1_Donate.html

Seriously, Gold, you can't expect to be able to make money when you're at the level you're at.

Here is some advice:
Stop learning by getting a little further into large projects each time.
Learn by completing progressively larger projects that you complete.

That means, start with a Tetris clone. Complete the project. That means everything: game menus, installer package, ...
Then move onto a Breakout clone. This adds in collision detection and rudimentary physics. Complete the project. That means everything: game menus, installer package, ...
Then maybe you're ready to tackle a 2D platformer. Complete the project. That means everything: game menus, installer package, ...

Kirby's offer wasn't really about making a game, it was the chance to complete a relatively simple project. If I were you, I'd have jumped at the chance, but your inability to see past monetising your creations is what will hold you back.

As I said, just advice. Take it or leave it.
2008-02-27, 5:00 AM #75
Originally posted by LividDK27:
Sometimes I really do wish he'd give up posting about his projects here, and just try to contribute to the discussions instead.

He has. They make his projects look like great successes. Between offending somebody (or an entire group of people), derailing threads, fighting upstream against massive public opinion otherwise (e.g. trying to prove Johos are anything more than a cult trying to prey on uneducated minorities and 3rd worlders) the kid makes Obi_Kwiet seem like a normal, well-adjusted child. While I can't in good conscience advocate he leave the forum, I'm sure if brought up to a board of doctors in his state, they would come to the conclusion that euthanasia is the only merciful option.
2008-02-27, 6:24 AM #76
Originally posted by Vegiemaster:
I love these threads. Glad to see you SF_GoldG.

*grabs popcorn*

GOLD
2008-02-27, 6:31 AM #77
Originally posted by stat:
the kid makes Obi_Kwiet seem like a normal, well-adjusted child.

I don't know why, but I find this funny:P
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2008-02-27, 10:19 AM #78
Originally posted by Giraffe:
http://mercenaryfrontline.rama-int.com/MF1_Donate.html

Seriously, Gold, you can't expect to be able to make money when you're at the level you're at.

Is this serious? $25 minimum donation? Who would think of $$$ at this development point? What about the whole learning experience in game design?

Also, there are 2 paragraphs that say the same thing on that page.
2008-02-27, 10:37 AM #79
Originally posted by Emon:
That's retarded. There are numerous free, high quality physics engines available. Why are you reinventing the (literal) wheel. That's stupid.

Next month Havok is being released as free for non-commercial use. It is beyond stupid, it is the Omega Stupid. The ultimate stupid, the template from which all other stupids have been forged.
2008-02-27, 10:45 AM #80
maybe they will take havok and add it to quake 2 and make the ultimate engine ever!

oh wait
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT

↑ Up to the top!