Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → the 411 on Laboratory
the 411 on Laboratory
2004-08-08, 8:59 PM #1
Ok, I've had enough.. i can't sit on it... Yesterday, a wealthy individual heard the story, liked it, and offered me $1 million for it. at first I couldn't speak, then I asked what he wanted to do with it. He said 1 of 2 things, 1. just buy it, and hang on to it, or 2. Take it to some people he knows in Lion's Gate. Ok.. now it is well known that movies make ALOT of money now days, even if they suck (Van Helsing)... so he could be pulling in a profit of at least 10 million.. and it would be HIS story, and he'd have creative conrtol over the film if it were ever to release.... which would probably ruin the film, and I would get no credit... on the other hand I would have $1 Million... I really want to stay in the loop with Laboratory however to make sure it's done right... then again, if this happens the movie could be cancelled or not even be made at all... Or this guy is just full of crap, but I really think he's sincere, cause he has a meeting with some of his lawyers and everything, he said all he needs is a written copy for legal reasons. So either way you all will GET Laboratory.. I just don't know what form it'll be in... What dose everyone think I should do?

------------------
| | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
|
|
||||||||||||||||||||
2004-08-08, 9:01 PM #2
Uh.....

[This message has been edited by Freelancer (edited August 09, 2004).]
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-08-08, 9:01 PM #3
Try and make a deal where you still have control, and get some money.

------------------
mir·ow ( V ) Pronunciation Key (meer-oh)
Someone or something that possesses unfathomable awesomeness
2004-08-08, 9:01 PM #4
[edited]

hmmm

------------------
Saberopus: omfq musical genuis j00 >mozart
Thrawn42689: Mozart = n00b

[This message has been edited by saberopus (edited August 09, 2004).]
2004-08-08, 9:03 PM #5
Do what you can to retain creative control, but I'd go for the moneyyy. You deserve it.

------------------
WOOSH|-----@%
Warhead[97]
2004-08-08, 9:03 PM #6
Let me guess, he contacted you through instant messaging or email?

------------------
"Music is the universal language and the
dialect we speak in is Hip Hop!" - King Solomon
2004-08-08, 9:04 PM #7
if everything works out, i'll release all the levels i made plus skins in mp format, so it wasn't a total loss.. but if this guy isn't serious, I don't want to get my hopes up...

------------------
|
|
||||||||||||||||||||
2004-08-08, 9:04 PM #8
...take the money man, what are you thinking?

------------------
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-08-08, 9:05 PM #9
No, actually I know him. I've met him.. I've told him by mouth the story... I've seen his house.. I've been in his house...

------------------
|
|
||||||||||||||||||||
2004-08-08, 9:06 PM #10
I'm really having a hard time buying this...

no offense

------------------
"Look at me! I'm Tracer! BLAHBLAHBLAH!"

-MBeggar
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-08-08, 9:07 PM #11
believe me, i am too.. that's why i was hesitant to post why I was suspending it... I thought he was joking at first.. but the things he said and the way he said it made me believe that he was serious... he told me to write it up, and he'll get some paperwork for me... So i wrote a SHORT story at work the past 2 days.. and now it's done. it's 7 pages, he said it didn't even need to be 3. the Written out copy is just a formality anyway he sad.. for records

------------------
|
|

[This message has been edited by Spiral (edited August 09, 2004).]
||||||||||||||||||||
2004-08-08, 9:11 PM #12
The money is tempting, but $1 million isn't that much after uncle sam gets done leeching off of it. You would probably be stuck with 500k after taxes, which in itself isn't that bad. You could buy a really nice house with that, pay off your mortgage in full when you buy, and be on your own. Of course, you will have to get a job to pay for everything, b/c what you have left after buying your house won't last you forever, especially after property taxes, and all the hidden fees.

besides, he's gettingf the better deal if he can market it and make 9x what he paid you off of it...

Never take the first offer.

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited August 09, 2004).]
2004-08-08, 9:16 PM #13
Well, let me tell you, if I worked on a project for YEARS, that MANY people were looking forward to, but then some guy suddenly offered me one million dollars for the story...

I'd take the money! Spend it right, and your won't need a job for atleast twenty years. Imagine, twenty years doing absolutely nothing productive... I want that life.

Peter Gibbons: What would you do if you had a million dollars?
Lawrence: I'll tell you what I'd do, man. Two chicks at the same time, man.
Peter Gibbons: That's it? If you had a million dollars, you'd do two chicks at the same time?
Lawrence: Damn straight. I always wanted to do that, man. And I think if I had a million dollars I could hook that up, cause chicks dig a dude with money.
Peter Gibbons: Well, not all chicks.
Lawrence: Well the kind of chicks that'd double up on a dude like me do.
Peter Gibbons: Good point.
Lawrence: Well what about you now? what would you do?
Peter Gibbons: Besides two chicks at the same time?
Lawrence: Well yeah.
Peter Gibbons: Nothing.
Lawrence: Nothing, huh?
Peter Gibbons: I'd relax, I would sit on my *** all day, I would do nothing.
Lawrence: Well you don't need a million dollars to do nothing, man. Just take a look at my cousin, he's broke, don't do ****.

------------------
A little less conversation, a little more action
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-08-08, 9:17 PM #14
well, i'm trying to live my life normally right now, planning for a normal future about going to college and stuff, just incase it don't happen because this guy turns out to be a crack pot (I don't think he is, I've known him for 2 years) or if I finally snapped after all this time, and I am just imagining it's happening

------------------
|
|
||||||||||||||||||||
2004-08-08, 9:18 PM #15
I've done that

------------------
|
|
||||||||||||||||||||
2004-08-08, 9:18 PM #16
BTW: Write the whole story down so you have it written before he can go take your idea...

------------------

10/7/85 - 12/9/03

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-08-08, 9:20 PM #17
*Only read if all is true...*

Maybe not take first offer but don't get greedy. I mean, yeah he makes out on the deal if he market's it but unless you have connections and what not, Spiral. You wont get it anywhere past a JK mod.. so if all is true I'd take my one million dollars and say **** all of you.

------------------
I felt like destroying something beautiful.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2004-08-08, 9:21 PM #18
What I'll do, is type it up tomorrow morning (from hand written) and print it out, I'll call him, and say it's his if he wants it, and see what he says to me.
|
|

[This message has been edited by Spiral (edited August 09, 2004).]
||||||||||||||||||||
2004-08-08, 9:34 PM #19
Ask him if you can still release the mod, and be sure to emphasize that it's free, and for a 7 year old game that less than 100 people play.

------------------
A little less conversation, a little more action
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-08-08, 9:58 PM #20
Exactly, it's a mod for an old game, why would he care? I mean, there are mods for just about every game/movie out there, and if a mod can't be released because they want to make it into something else, that's bullsh**! so try to get him to let you release the mod, if he's serious. :P or some other editor will take your download packs and try to do it for you and end up doing a crappy job...

------------------
Folder: LucasArts
Size: 3.29 GB (3,540,445,700 bytes)
Size On Disk: 2.08 GB (2,239,862,836 bytes)
Contains: 21,338 Files, 938 Folders
Folder: LucasArts
Size: 7.41 GB (7,957,329,759 bytes)
Size on Disk: 5.16 GB (5,544,473,484 bytes)
Contains: 28,807 Files, 1187 Folders
Last Updated: 3/29/05
2004-08-08, 11:13 PM #21
I'm....with Tracer.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1, 2 & 3 | Gonk WoW Petition <- SIGN!
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-08-08, 11:54 PM #22
I'm with Jaiph.

Even if it is true, I wouldn't give it up. Hell no. I'd much rather see a bunch of happy people playing my creation then a bunch of people complaining about admission price, and not even knowing you made it. Even if there is a million involved.

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
Make Sorrowind Worthwhile... join it! http://sorrowind.net
2004-08-08, 11:58 PM #23
I have trouble believing it's legit as well, but if it turns out to be for real, take the money and run. You're young. You could do a LOT with 500k. Seriously.

------------------
Brian's Web Log is CLOSED.
2004-08-09, 12:59 AM #24
It does seem a little far-fetched to me. But hey, if it's legit, take the money.

------------------
Wise men say that fools rush in where angels fear to tread, so look before you leap, so to speak, because the grass is not always greener on the other side of the hill.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2004-08-09, 1:12 AM #25
I'm with Tracer and Jaiph.
2004-08-09, 2:05 AM #26
Honestly I don't know what to believe.

------------------
Fire Pretty - Graz's Armoury - (That's my blog...)

The Soviet Bunker - (That's my forum...)

"Thou shalt not steal. (Because the government doesn't like competition!)"
A slightly more stripy Gee_4ce, and more than just Something British...

Visit the home of Corporal G on the Internets
2004-08-09, 2:24 AM #27
Um. Why would a person pay $1 million for a story? Don't they have people who come up with stories in the movie industry anymore?

But, for legal reasons, I guess they want to get on with their movie...

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

---------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info (or something of this matter. Just smile.)
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-08-09, 2:35 AM #28
There are popular authors out there that wouldn't make a million dollars for a manuscript, so I'm finding this hard to believe. If however, by divine intervention, this is all true, you need to get yourself a lawyer so you don't screw yourself over.

------------------
www.MentatMM.com (status = down :/)
Napalm Death Squad (status = alpha)
2004-08-09, 3:50 AM #29
Laboratory the movie? Isn't that already made? They call it 'Alien' [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

Hmmm, this is a pickle. I mean we would all LOVE to play laboratory, but 1 million is a lot of money. Make yourself happy, do what you want. Just save a copy of the TC so you can illegaly smuggle it to everyone over IRC.

>.>
<.<

------------------
(>º_º)> ±h³ ѳv³®-£ⁿd¡תּ9 §±ºr¥ <(º_º<) | (>º_º)> תּℓζ ШǿѓЖ§|-Юρ <(º_º<)
Think while it's still legal.
2004-08-09, 3:59 AM #30
I'm with Jon'C

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-08-09, 4:19 AM #31
Im with Tracer, Jeff, Jon`C, and Flexor. :\

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq!
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-08-09, 4:21 AM #32
Im with Tracer, Jeff, Jon`C, Flexor, GBK, and also with your mother. Ba-Zing.

But if it isn't bullcrap I'd take the money, but I'd still want to have something to do with laboratory. I mean they make atleast 10 mil and you get 1 mil off something you created?

------------------
(>º_º)> ±h³ ѳv³®-£ⁿd¡תּ9 §±ºr¥ <(º_º<) | (>º_º)> תּℓζ ШǿѓЖ§|-Юρ <(º_º<)
Think while it's still legal.
2004-08-09, 4:47 AM #33
I'm with Tracer, Jeff, Jon`C, Flexor, GBK, and SAJN. Very much so. Although Hollywood is undeniably out of ideas, so ya never know...

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-08-09, 4:55 AM #34
Could we stop with saying we agree with Tracer if we don't have anything else to say?

Thanks.

------------------
If you can read this, you need better glasses.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2004-08-09, 5:00 AM #35
I agree with Krokodile.

Bahaha...k...not funny.

------------------
www.MentatMM.com (status = down :/)
Napalm Death Squad (status = alpha)
2004-08-09, 5:13 AM #36
Take the money, but hold out for $4 mil up front and 90% of royalties.

It'll work, trust me.
2004-08-09, 5:19 AM #37
get the money to buy us legal rights to JK

------------------
What happens when you cast heal on the undead?
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2004-08-09, 5:39 AM #38
Well Spiral, assuming this was true, I'd say go for the money. But never let anyone take complete control of your work. Make sure you have some say in what is done, if anyone tries to manipulate your creation in ways you do not approve, then don't let them do it. That's just my advice, otherwise, I agree with what pretty much else has been said. Best of luck to you.

------------------
Maker of the Levels:
Sand Trap
Sand Trap (Night)

Writer/Author of the fanfic: Dragonball Aftershock

_.~'AKA DBF_SuperSaiyan'~._
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2004-08-09, 5:49 AM #39
I don't really believe you, but let's assume I do...

That money is your BIG BREAK in life. It's a golden opportunity that you should definitly try to capitalize on. Obviously you should talk to a lawyer about this if it really is true, and make sure you keep your rights protected. Try to work out a better deal... like a million and then some slim royalties if it does get produced... or something.... I don't know.
2004-08-09, 5:53 AM #40
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MentatMM:
I agree with Krokodile.

Bahaha...k...not funny.

</font>

I didn't mind Jaiph saying it, but when the thread gets clogged up with "I agree with [name], [name], [name], [name], and [name." posts it just gets annoying. At least to me. The thread isn't exactly clogged up with these posts, but that's where it is/was going.

------------------
If you can read this, you need better glasses.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.

↑ Up to the top!