Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → the 411 on Laboratory
the 411 on Laboratory
2004-08-09, 5:53 AM #41
Personally...I'm still speechless.

If you can't get him to let you make the mod, TAKE THE MONEY!

------------------
Kill Your Idols!
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2004-08-09, 5:55 AM #42
agreed.

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.
2004-08-09, 6:55 AM #43
Spe wins!

------------------
Current Maps | Inclusion | Restless Endeavor

There is a thin line between insanity and stupidity. I am that line.
Current Maps | Newest Map
2004-08-09, 7:06 AM #44
Spiral, you can always see if you can get a clause in the contract allowing you to release Laboratory... like, tell the guy what your story was for and tell him you really want to release this. Make sure he understands it's for a dead game only a handful of people would play. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif] [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

[Edit: Skimpy just pointed something out to me. Releasing LabTC wouldn't be any different from ruth releasing his Stargate mod, or the StarWars mod for UT, or any other mod based off of a movie for any game.]

------------------
The Mega-ZZTer's Gaming Haven! | Mega-ZForums

Bot Pack JO | Let's Roll JK | Bespin JA | Patch Enforcer JK/MotS | Pac-Man JK

"how harsh... Jedi Kirby loves his 'Special' and unique way of talking." - jEDIkIRBY, circa 2002

[This message has been edited by The_Mega_ZZTer (edited August 09, 2004).]

2004-08-09, 7:20 AM #45
The problem is, if Spiral writes further stories he can't say "oh, I wrote that Laboratory thing" in order to get his foot in the door. So if he doesn't see a future in writing stories for movies then he should sell, if he wants to do this professionally he shouldn't.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2004-08-09, 7:22 AM #46
...doesnt sound good. I really wouldnt believe that guy, no offense, I mean you say you know him, but one of my friends 'knows' the guy that is pyramid scheming him and wont listen to anyone trying to tell him it's a scam.

Get the money in cash, up front. Only way to do it. Untaxable baby!

------------------
free mp3 ~Jump - Young America

new album Between the Dim and the Dark available now
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-08-09, 7:22 AM #47
Spiral, before you do anything else, the #1 thing you should do right now is get a freakin lawyer, man. There's a lot a frauds out there, and they can come off as regular, nice people. I think it's a good idea to asume he's a fraud and be as cautious as possible, and remember that he has no control over your actions or decisions until you sign the papers. Okay? Cool.

As for the $1,000,000.00, I think that's a decision that none of us can make for Spiral. It's his life, his choice.

------------------
Check out my deviantART gallery.
2004-08-09, 7:24 AM #48
SPIRAL - GET A LAWYER TO HELP YOU SEAL THE DEAL. PERIOD.

Don't screw this up and rely on yourself to handle and understand everything. You will get screwed in the end regardless of how well you think you know this guy. His lawyers are looking out for his best interests, so you need a lawyer to look out for yours. Things could turn out bad for you even if this guy never intends on screwing you. People make mistakes. So make sure your butt is covered. It's worth the money.

Besides, what if Labratory really takes off and earns millions and kids are wearing the t-shirt and playing with the action figures. Where will you be?

Attorney = good investment

------------------
"Life is like a vending machine, sometimes you don't get nothing."
Lyrics are highly overrated.
2004-08-09, 7:28 AM #49
I'm with Tracer, et al.

------------------
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-08-09, 7:28 AM #50
I'll third that.

------------------
2004-08-09, 7:29 AM #51
Alright, I am also having a hard time believing this.
First of all see what contacts he has with these companies to see if he is being legit about all of this. After you do that you need to work out a deal with him.
If you seriously think the story will be ruined if he gains creative control you need to insist that you are allowed creative control of the movie. And you need to get credit for the story, thats key.
Although initially you may not get massive amounts of money, the film would rake in cash and you would get more money then. It really wouldnt be worth it to settle for some cash up front, not get creative control, and not have any credit for the story.
*cough* and I can act *cough*

------------------
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2004-08-09, 7:31 AM #52
On second thought, I'm almost waiting for Spiral to say, "April Fools!"

------------------
2004-08-09, 7:36 AM #53
It's not April.

Maybe alcohol could be responsible.

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

---------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info (or something of this matter. Just smile.)
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-08-09, 7:43 AM #54
This isn't true. If the guy KNOWS the story enough to want to buy it, he'll just go pitch it to the people who want to make the movie. What stops him from taking the idea now? A fear that a teenager will sue him? He'll just claim that it's a coincidence that his story is similar. It's not like he has to use the exact details.

Oh and take the money.
2004-08-09, 7:52 AM #55
I don't know nearly as much about these things as I'd like to, but MrRavenX is definitely right about getting yourself a lawyer. It might also be a good idea to see about getting your short story published, so you'll be able to claim that the film was inspired by your work.

------------------
"Why aren't I'm using at these pictures?" - Cloud, 4/14/02
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2004-08-09, 8:00 AM #56
Go ahead. It won't be like you won't be able to make the mod. But definitly ask a lawier first. It could be a scam. I sure he dosn't give crap if you make it anyway. People make mods of movies all the time.

[This message has been edited by Obi_Kwiet (edited August 09, 2004).]
2004-08-09, 8:09 AM #57
sellout now!!!!! buy a house, a car, a hdtv, and a lava lamp... youll be set for life!

------------------
-if you don't know, then don't ask...
2004-08-09, 8:30 AM #58
As it was said before, get the guy's "contacts." Call Lion's Gate, and ask for those people, and ask them if they know your guy. If they don't, stay far, far away from the guy.

------------------
<ubuu> does hitler have a last name?
<jipe> .. yes, Ubuu, we're racist commy nazi jews, and we hate male pattern baldness
<Professor`K> Sorry, but half-way through your logic, my head exploded
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-08-09, 9:11 AM #59
Ok, we've decided... you take the money, screw him over and release the mod anyway, bribe the courts with the money you got, and everybody wins... except the guy who offered you the money, but oh well [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

Oh, and if you use this idea, I demand 5000 dollars, jk [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

To sum up: Rarely seen anyone been sued for making a mod of a popular movie/game, if he wants to pay you off so he can claim it was his idea then screw that, even if it is like winning a small lottery that's been rigged for you to win no matter what... :P so convince him to let you release Laboratory, but make a thing in the credits saying something about this, legal crap, yada yada [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
Folder: LucasArts
Size: 3.29 GB (3,540,445,700 bytes)
Size On Disk: 2.08 GB (2,239,862,836 bytes)
Contains: 21,338 Files, 938 Folders
Size: 7.41 GB (7,957,329,759 bytes)
Size on Disk: 5.16 GB (5,544,473,484 bytes)
Contains: 28,807 Files, 1187 Folders
Last Updated: 3/29/05
2004-08-09, 9:16 AM #60
What you should do: Take the money. With the 500k or so you have left, stick it in a savings account and let it sit there. Let it get interest as you get older and keep it there as FU money*.

* basically this means, for example, if you have a boss that is a dick, you can just say "**** you" and quit and live very comfortably on the savings account until you get another job. Everybody should have FU money in the bank.

------------------
Debating politics on the internet is about as useful and productive as shoving a broomstick up your *** .
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-08-09, 9:18 AM #61
Why are you asking us? Get a lawyer, not a crapload of kids on a gaming site that could probably care less.

Not to mention, you'll just end up getting ripped off by not listening to us and going with the crappy computer, in the end.

*zing*

JediKirby

------------------
jEDIkIRBY - Putting the Romance back into Necromancer.
Proud Leader of the Minnessassian Council

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-08-09, 9:34 AM #62
after taxes i think he would have around 768k... lot of money... think about the super computer you could build... **** you could hire a hitman to kill the guy who gave you the money and then steal back laboratory and then have more money to promote your own political agendas

------------------
2004-08-09, 9:44 AM #63
JediKirby, My computer plays Doom 3 beautifully... so we see who was right about that...

------------------
| | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
|
|
||||||||||||||||||||
2004-08-09, 9:45 AM #64
Hey, with that kind of money, you could BUILD your own mini-Laboratory replica, and live in it [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif] if you don't mind the whole monster thing, that is [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
Size: 5.89 GB (6,333,670,164 bytes)
Size on Disk: 3.87 GB (4,163,332,437 bytes)
Contains: 28,455 Files, 1165 Folders
Last Updated: 8/9/04

[This message has been edited by Laserjolt (edited August 09, 2004).]
2004-08-09, 9:47 AM #65
Write your story, and send 20 bucks and it to the Writers Guild of America. Then it's registered, then see if he tries to screw you.

P.S. Congrats.

P.P.S. /me eats Spiral

P.P.P.S TAKE MY ADVICE I STUDY THIS SUBJECT IN SCHOOL AS WELL AS HAVE MY OWN PRODUCTION COMPANT AND WILL CONTINUE THIS THROUGHOUT MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
"If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?"
"If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?"
2004-08-09, 9:48 AM #66
Yeah, that sounds like a.... horrible idea

------------------
|
|
||||||||||||||||||||
2004-08-09, 9:50 AM #67
Yes, yes, get a lawyer, definately.

And, can you answer my question in my previous post please? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
The Mega-ZZTer's Gaming Haven! | Mega-ZForums

Bot Pack JO | Let's Roll JK | Bespin JA | Patch Enforcer JK/MotS | Pac-Man JK

2004-08-09, 9:51 AM #68
Out of curiosity, exactly how far along in Laboratory are you? I mean, if it's almost done then finish it and release it, if it's not, then take the money.

[Edit] Take the money and release the MP pack, weapons, and all source files so we can see how cool it is [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------

2004-08-09, 9:59 AM #69
hmmm...
wish i had a suggestion...
sounds like a scam to me...
/me is surprised and speachless

------------------
Carter: "whats wrong?"
Daniel: "this tastes like chicken..."
Carter: "whats bad about that?"
Daniel: "this is supposed to be macaroni and cheese..."
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2004-08-09, 10:04 AM #70
Hey, you could just send a copy of the game to people who ask, but not put it on Massassi. He'd never know ;) take that, evil corporate empire! >:D

[Edit] Just watched the trailer again, now I'm hooked all over again... :|

------------------

2004-08-09, 10:14 AM #71
link to the trailer... please!

------------------
2004-08-09, 10:30 AM #72
You mean you've never seen it? here's the link to trailer: http://massassi.net/levels/files/2710.shtml

------------------
2004-08-09, 10:31 AM #73
The ability to run D3 doesn't change the fact that you were RIPPED OFF.

JediKirby

------------------
jEDIkIRBY - Putting the Romance back into Necromancer.
Proud Leader of the Minnessassian Council

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-08-09, 10:32 AM #74
For one, stop lying. Im sorry but I agree with most people, this can't be true.

A producer from hollywood would NEVER buy an amateur storyline, EVEN if it was good. Why? Because he can't simply up and decide to give someone a million dollars then do what he chooses with it. The only people who have that right in the studios is the studio execs or the presidents, etc, those higher up people. And even then, they would take much consideration with such a storyline (created for JK TC by amateur, etc), it would take months, even years, before they reached a final decision.

If someone was paying a million dollars for something, you can surely bet that they wouldn't wanna "hold on to it" for a while.
2004-08-09, 10:35 AM #75
Maybe the offer is not really about the story in the first place, but a bit ... more indecent

------------------
"Music is the universal language and the
dialect we speak in is Hip Hop!" - King Solomon
2004-08-09, 10:39 AM #76
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Molgrew:
Maybe the offer is not really about the story in the first place, but a bit ... more indecent

</font>

Oh, I get it. You mean like Spiral giving the guy head or something.

------------------
If you can read this, you need better glasses.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2004-08-09, 10:59 AM #77
JediKirby, I paid $60... HOW could i POSIBLY have gotten ripped off? What question was in ur previous post?

------------------
|
|

[This message has been edited by Spiral (edited August 09, 2004).]
||||||||||||||||||||
2004-08-09, 11:00 AM #78
more along the linds of a reach around...

actually the person saying it cant be truee blah blah... he never said the guy is in hollywood, adn yes holywood dosn't buy amateur story lines, but this offer is froma guy who knows people... so yeah your argument is null

------------------
2004-08-09, 11:04 AM #79
And I'm not selling it to a company or a preoducer, or anything to do with Hollywood.. it's a privet citizen who wants it... I am skeptical too, and I don't understand you people, are you saying that I'M lieing, or that he is? If I thought forsure this guy was gonna buy it, I wouldn't be on here arguing right now... I'd be in Hawaii

------------------
|
|
||||||||||||||||||||
2004-08-09, 11:09 AM #80
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Spiral:
And I'm not selling it to a company or a preoducer, or anything to do with Hollywood.. it's a privet citizen who wants it... I am skeptical too, and I don't understand you people, are you saying that I'M lieing, or that he is? If I thought forsure this guy was gonna buy it, I wouldn't be on here arguing right now... I'd be in Hawaii</font>
Where'd this guy find $1 million, again?

↑ Up to the top!