Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → the 411 on Laboratory
the 411 on Laboratory
2004-08-09, 11:14 AM #81
If I won the lottery I'd buy Laboratory and make it into a movie/game

------------------
mir·ow ( V ) Pronunciation Key (meer-oh)
Someone or something that possesses unfathomable awesomeness
2004-08-09, 11:45 AM #82
If the guy isnt from Hollywood, and he's private, then I'm even more skeptical about it.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">actually the person saying it cant be truee blah blah... he never said the guy is in hollywood, adn yes holywood dosn't buy amateur story lines, but this offer is froma guy who knows people... so yeah your argument is null</font>

Ummmmmm..........no. The guy can SAY he knows people, but that doesnt mean anything. Whats the guy going to do with the story after he buys it? No hollywood company would buy a story for a million dollars, unless they thought it was totally original and could make lots of money off it. Its all about money these days, not producing a good form of entertainment or getting a message across. So you tell me, a guy spends a million dollars on a story he can't even use, except for a long hail mary shot at getting lucky and having a really super duper nice studio exec offer a million dollars for a JK TC storyline.

Right... Lets all jump around the fire now and sing to the dancing fairies.
2004-08-09, 12:09 PM #83
Temperamental--who the hell cares? It's 1 million dollars, whichever way you spin it.

Take the money but hold out to earn a percentage on everything sold. Even if low, it'll be a gift that keeps on giving.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-09, 12:39 PM #84
So... If I actually finish my MP Laboratory level, and it gets put in the TC... then do I get a cut of teh moneys?

j/k

Anyways, the best thing to do would be to talk to a lawyer. Make sure this dude isn't trying to scam you (though I'm not sure exactly what he could get out of it if he was).

On a final note, RELEASE THE TC ANYWAYS. Thank you in advance.

------------------
Four dimensions, four fundamental forces... coincidence?
Stuff
2004-08-09, 12:56 PM #85
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Temperamental:
If the guy isnt from Hollywood, and he's private, then I'm even more skeptical about it.

Ummmmmm..........no. The guy can SAY he knows people, but that doesnt mean anything. Whats the guy going to do with the story after he buys it? No hollywood company would buy a story for a million dollars, unless they thought it was totally original and could make lots of money off it. Its all about money these days, not producing a good form of entertainment or getting a message across. So you tell me, a guy spends a million dollars on a story he can't even use, except for a long hail mary shot at getting lucky and having a really super duper nice studio exec offer a million dollars for a JK TC storyline.

Right... Lets all jump around the fire now and sing to the dancing fairies.
</font>

The guy knows people at Lions Gate im sure hes run by the proposal by them and he has a deal awaiting the transfer of Spiral's story if this is legit.... Or maybe he just wants to claim fame for saving the JK community and making it the biggest TC ever, and a million dollars in the movie industry is not alot.... this 'citizen' may have prior connections and is considered a contractor for lions gate who knows point being i think Spiral should get serious and let us know if he has contacted a lawyer.

------------------
-if you don't know, then don't ask...
2004-08-09, 1:03 PM #86
In the movie industry, you either know someone, or you dont. It's as simple as that. You don't "know" someone and that secures a deal. They're incredibly cautious about everything to do with their money. Meaning, they won't accept any ideas from outside unless they come from an extremely credible source (in which case, this man who knows someone at lions gate would have to be extremely high up in the ranks, which is pretty doubtful).

My point hasn't been to call Spiral a liar, or point out he may be exaggerating, but to point out that this guy who "knows someone" is the liar/exaggerator. If I had a dime for every person that has said they "know someone" but it turned out to be a lie, I'd have a million dollars myself by now.

2004-08-09, 1:19 PM #87
Lies!

------------------
jEDIkIRBY - Putting the Romance back into Necromancer.
Proud Leader of the Minnessassian Council

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-08-09, 1:32 PM #88
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Spiral:
What question was in ur previous post?</font>

Why don't you go scroll to my previous post (top of page 2) and check? -_-

------------------
The Mega-ZZTer's Gaming Haven! | Mega-ZForums

Bot Pack JO | Let's Roll JK | Bespin JA | Patch Enforcer JK/MotS | Pac-Man JK

2004-08-09, 1:50 PM #89
My "skeptical scale" about this whole thing is going off.

/me shrugs

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

---------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info (or something of this matter. Just smile.)

[This message has been edited by Echoman (edited August 09, 2004).]
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-08-09, 2:00 PM #90
Someone's being taken for a ride here, that's for sure. I'm not saying it's impossible for someone to like a story idea and want to buy it, but experienced well known script writers or authors would be DAMN lucky to get a million for a finished script let alone an unfleshed out story idea.

I'd be very very suspicious of this guy's motives right about now. It doesn't add up.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1, 2 & 3 | Gonk WoW Petition <- SIGN!
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-08-09, 2:22 PM #91
I have an idea:
Howabout we all STFU, Spiral gets a lawyer, and if it's legit Spiral gets the money and hopefully the rights to release the mod, worst case scenario only get the money, and if it's not legit, we sit back and enjoy Labaratory TC as if nothing happened! KTHNXBYE.

------------------
Member of the Minnessassian Council
2004-08-09, 3:47 PM #92
I'm with Monoxide. I mean really, it's not like the man can steal the rights--if he doesn't hold up his million dollar end of the deal, he doesn't get the project. Nothing scammish can happen if Spiral gets a lawyer.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-09, 3:57 PM #93
If he gets a lawyer and it ends up all being inky-pinky I smell stinky, then the lawyer is gonna cost him $$$.
2004-08-09, 4:27 PM #94
A guy offered you a million dollars for an Aliens story knockoff?? I'm sorry, I tried to post earlier but I was laughing too hard...

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-08-09, 4:33 PM #95
Exactly what I was thinking Emon.

------------------
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2004-08-09, 5:09 PM #96
Every one was right when they said "Get a lawyer". I'd like to more specifically recommend an entertainment lawyer. These people specialize in this sort of thing.

I too am a little skeptical but I think its legit. No one would really know better than you and your lawyer.

Normally stories are optioned for much less than one million. And if I remember right, its only the movie rights. It wouldn't be too much for you to only sell him the movie rights, keep the million and make your own game. Then they get to make their movie however they want or leave it on the shelf until their standard one or two year producer optioning rights expire. And you get to have total creative control over your game. Which wouldn't have to be a JK mod. Heck. Buy the engine from LEC and release the mod as a standalone game :b

edit: Your not you're [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif].

[This message has been edited by Nytro (edited August 09, 2004).]
2004-08-09, 6:49 PM #97
"Hmm...I've been over-hyping this tc for years, and now I'm kinda sick of it....how do I cancel it in a way that won't make people pissed off at me...?"

------------------
I live in the weak, and the wounded.
I live in the weak, and the wounded.
2004-08-09, 6:50 PM #98
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Emon:
A guy offered you a million dollars for an Aliens story knockoff?? I'm sorry, I tried to post earlier but I was laughing too hard...

</font>

Although that was very blunt, Emon nailed it on the head with the comment. That's the reason why I'm very skeptical about this whole situation.

-- SavageX

------------------
"...and if you don't like that, then you need to be slugged in the face repeatedly, until my hands are soaked in blood. Have a nice day!"
http://geocities.com/savagex378
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2004-08-09, 7:23 PM #99
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Darko:
"Hmm...I've been over-hyping this tc for years, and now I'm kinda sick of it....how do I cancel it in a way that won't make people pissed off at me...?"

</font>

[coomugghscooutgrhuceouggohd] <3

------------------

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-08-09, 9:14 PM #100
I've said it before and I'll say it again ...

I like eggs. My mum says they make my teeth look nice and yellow.
2004-08-09, 9:34 PM #101
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Darko:
</font>

If that is your setiment, then why not just say so? Would it be a huge surprise to us if this TC were to die?

------------------
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-08-10, 1:06 AM #102
No release it under a new name but it still Laboratory and then sell it...

------------------
SpriteMod (JO 2003)

[This message has been edited by G-Man (edited August 10, 2004).]
SpriteMod (JO 2003) Roger Wilco Skin

Snail racing: (500 posts per line) ---@%
2004-08-10, 5:31 AM #103
If this was April, I'd be expecting an April Fools from Spiral soon...

------------------
Maker of the Levels:
Sand Trap
Sand Trap (Night)

Writer/Author of the fanfic: Dragonball Aftershock

_.~'AKA DBF_SuperSaiyan'~._
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2004-08-10, 6:41 AM #104
I'm sorry Spiral but I simply do not believe this. I was skeptical with the 4000 times your hard drive crashed, and now this? I just don't buy any of it. It makes little sense.

Take the money.
2004-08-10, 6:45 AM #105
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dark Templar:

Take the money.
</font>

No!!!!

------------------
SpriteMod (JO 2003)

[This message has been edited by G-Man (edited August 10, 2004).]
SpriteMod (JO 2003) Roger Wilco Skin

Snail racing: (500 posts per line) ---@%
2004-08-10, 10:58 AM #106
You talked to the guy who offered you the money since then? Give him the link to this thread, let him read it, maybe he'll let you release the game anyway. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
Folder: LucasArts
Size: 5.89 GB (6,333,670,164 bytes)
Size on Disk: 3.87 GB (4,163,332,437 bytes)
Contains: 28,455 Files, 1165 Folders
Last Updated: 8/9/04
Folder: LucasArts
Size: 7.41 GB (7,957,329,759 bytes)
Size on Disk: 5.16 GB (5,544,473,484 bytes)
Contains: 28,807 Files, 1187 Folders
Last Updated: 3/29/05
2004-08-10, 12:16 PM #107
im curious to see exactly what this guys background is that wants to buy it from him.

------------------
I Recieved an angel from god when he sent me Jess, I Love You Forever and Always Jess, you'll always have my heart.
I <3 Massassi
2004-08-10, 12:38 PM #108
and honestly guys would you even bother questioning the ur loyalty to massassi over a million dollars... i know everyone here loves jk as much as spiral but the fact he is debating over making people he dosn't know mad and making a million dollars is pretty wierd to me....

------------------
-if you don't know, then don't ask...
2004-08-10, 5:55 PM #109
Well, this whole million-dollar situation seems weird to me. Out of the blue...

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

---------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info (or something of this matter. Just smile.)

[This message has been edited by Echoman (edited August 10, 2004).]
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-08-10, 6:28 PM #110
Not to mention it's a crock of ****, either way you roll it.

------------------

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-08-10, 7:02 PM #111
Well its pretty obvious what to do. But try be aloud to relese it aswell. It is true that even if you sold it relesing a mod would be just like relesing a stargate mod and my nightfire mod.

------------------
~Nightfire Mod~
Spoting an error in post will result in a $100 reward.
Offer expires on 6/6/06. Valid one per customer, per day.

Rangi
2004-08-10, 8:16 PM #112
I am starting to think Spiral is messing with us, sitting back and watching us react....

But still, who knows...

------------------
Kill Your Idols!
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2004-08-10, 8:33 PM #113
I'd take the million dollars and use them to bribe the guy to let you release it.

------------------
I am _ Ace_1 _ , and I approve this message.
I am _ Ace_1 _ , and I approve this message.
2004-08-10, 9:26 PM #114
I agree with Emon and whoever quoted him. One million dollars for an idea that's been done over and over? You even said yourself that Doom 3's intro is almost exactly the same as your Lab intro.
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2004-08-11, 6:20 AM #115
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Acharjay:
I agree with Emon and whoever quoted him. One million dollars for an idea that's been done over and over? You even said yourself that Doom 3's intro is almost exactly the same as your Lab intro.</font>

AcharJay you live? I haven't seen/heard of you for a long time

------------------
Maker of the Levels:
Sand Trap
Sand Trap (Night)

Writer/Author of the fanfic: Dragonball Aftershock

_.~'AKA DBF_SuperSaiyan'~._
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2004-08-11, 7:07 AM #116
I'm with Tracer, Jaiph, and Jon`C.

------------------
"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity."

-Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by SG1_129 (edited August 11, 2004).]
2004-08-12, 4:03 AM #117
Any updates yet?
2004-08-12, 5:53 AM #118
CUT THAT HAIR, SHAVE THOSE SIDEBURNS, AND GET A JOB YOU STUPID HIPPIE!

------------------
"A drug person can learn to handle such things as seeing their dead grandmother crawling up their leg with a knife in her teeth. But no one should be asked to deal with this trip."
-Raoul Duke, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
2004-08-12, 3:19 PM #119
I think that guy must have killed Spiral and stolen his wallet by now.

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-08-12, 3:26 PM #120
>_>
We should divvy up his belongings then...

------------------
mir·ow ( V ) Pronunciation Key (meer-oh)
Someone or something that possesses unfathomable awesomeness

↑ Up to the top!