Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Let's have a level contest
Let's have a level contest
2009-09-21, 11:04 AM #41
DO IT ***** :argh:
DO NOT WANT.
2009-09-21, 11:06 AM #42
I wish I could edit Q3... I tried once, Radiant is difficult to me for some reason. The only editors I have ever shown promise in was JED/ZED and Hammer.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-09-21, 11:13 AM #43
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
This is actually the best idea so far. A shame only a very few people could participate in that contest.

Why could only a few people participate?

I think it's a good idea though
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2009-09-21, 11:17 AM #44
Originally posted by KOP_AoEJedi:
I wish I could edit Q3... I tried once, Radiant is difficult to me for some reason. The only editors I have ever shown promise in was JED/ZED and Hammer.

If you know Hammer well, Q3radiant won't be much of a steep learning curve. If I recall, Hammer was based of id's level editor designs (correct me if I'm wrong).

I tried JED, and I actually put some effort into learning it. But I became annoyed at random limitations, and I couldn't wrap my head around its idiosyncrasies. If learning Q3Radiant/UnrealED/Hammer was like understanding French, German or Spanish, than JED must be like... what, Swahili?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-09-21, 11:18 AM #45
Originally posted by zanardi:
Why could only a few people participate?

Well, not so many people edit JO and JA anymore. At least around here, of course a contest like that might generate interest from some people outside Massassi but there wasn't really an influx of non-Massassians the last times either.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2009-09-21, 11:41 AM #46
I'd be up for another level contest, SP of course. Would love winning two back to back ;)

What was dissapointing last time though was how few final entrants there were. There were atleast 10 different projects to start off with, and only three (me included) submitted levels in the end.

*cleans trophy*
Magrucko Daines and the Crypt of Crola (2007)
Magrucko Daines and the Dark Youth (2010)
Magrucko Daines and the Vertical City (2016)
2009-09-21, 12:52 PM #47
I have the issue of starting something really good, then hitting an issue that isn't easily fixed or worked around, and I get discouraged because I can't make what's in my head come out in the game... .(
2009-09-21, 2:46 PM #48
What if we just started our own contest and called it the massassi community pack? And I think it would be cool if there was no restrictions, MP, SP, CTF, it could be a nice variety. Create more interest?
2009-09-21, 3:45 PM #49
Zanardi's right. The editing communities are far too small for any kind of focused contest.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-09-21, 3:57 PM #50
I'm only in if there's a shiny trophy at the end and eternal bragging rights.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2009-09-21, 4:22 PM #51
$10 gift certificate to GameSpot. :colbert:
DO NOT WANT.
2009-09-21, 4:26 PM #52
I'll pitch in a free game, up to $59.99 US (including tax & shipping to conus), but if someone overseas wins that really sucks. I think last time it cost me almost a hundred bucks to buy a foreigner a $40 game! ONLY IF WE GET AT LEAST 5 DECENT ENTRIES
2009-09-21, 4:29 PM #53
I think it would be better if we just create one big community project instead of little separate ones that just fall apart... big projects tend to attract people instead of little maps that no one is ever going to play.

But even that takes good dedication...
2009-09-21, 4:41 PM #54
Our community doesn't exactly have a great track record when it comes to big community projects.
2009-09-21, 4:57 PM #55
Unreal editing! ^_^
A dream is beautiful because it remains a dream.
2009-09-21, 6:10 PM #56
I'd be up for a contest!
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2009-09-21, 7:05 PM #57
Originally posted by Brian:
Our community doesn't exactly have a great track record when it comes to big community projects.

Speaking of which, does anyone have the SWT:TC files that were leaked from OD-34?
2009-09-21, 7:46 PM #58
I'll pitch in a free game, up to $59.99 US (including tax & shipping to conus), but if someone overseas wins that really sucks. I think last time it cost me almost a hundred bucks to buy a foreigner a $40 game! ONLY IF WE GET AT LEAST 5 DECENT ENTRIES

Lousy foreigners. Go back to iceland.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2009-09-21, 8:49 PM #59
Its a lot easier, and less time consuming, and in the end more rewarding, to just make a short 5-10 min film contest. Its not difficult to write 10 pages in 2 days, film in 3 days and edit and upload in the final 2 days.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2009-09-21, 8:50 PM #60
My Wolfy idea is guaranteed to win the Massassi Oscars. Also you really are the comma king.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2009-09-21, 9:03 PM #61
Originally posted by Tracer:
My Wolfy idea is guaranteed to win the Massassi Oscars. Also you really are the comma king.

:hist101:
Nothing to see here, move along.
2009-09-21, 9:09 PM #62
A film making contest is stupid, and requires tools not all of us have. Additionally, your timeline might work for someone like you, but most of us have lives.
2009-09-22, 12:37 AM #63
Originally posted by Tracer:

Wazzbang and Wolfy.

You know it makes sense[/i]
2009-09-22, 12:53 AM #64
Every contest since mlp3 I have declared that I would submit an entry and have not.

So this time I'm gonna tempt fate and declare that there is no way in hell that I will submit an entry for this contest.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2009-09-22, 5:52 AM #65
So shall this be MLP5? JK multiplayer maps.

Or JA maps? A JA duel map contest like Levelsource had seems best, due to the small scale of a duel map.
2009-09-22, 5:59 AM #66

That's because we tend to let anyone get involved and the majority of the community has no place being involved with anything?
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2009-09-22, 6:17 AM #67
Nah, loads of us have got jobs and grown up now. The last time I entered (an awful level) for the first MLP I was at school, living with my parents.

I'm not saying there aren't those who have the time, just that they're definitely in the minority now.
2009-09-22, 6:39 AM #68
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
Its a lot easier, and less time consuming, and in the end more rewarding, to just make a short 5-10 min film contest. Its not difficult to write 10 pages in 2 days, film in 3 days and edit and upload in the final 2 days.

...what the hell does a film contest have to do with anything at all? This is an editing community for games.

You just want a film contest so you can enter some terrible Star Wars fanfic into it.
2009-09-22, 7:22 AM #69
On the contrary, there's an entire section of massassi dedicated to things like this!

http://www.massassi.net/levels/view_category.php3?category_id=24
2009-09-22, 8:36 AM #70
I can't view that at work. Is it the machinima stuff? Because I don't think that's what he meant by a "film contest."
2009-09-22, 9:58 AM #71
Haha, it's got two videos, one called A Killing in the Woods made by Kiramin and then a trailer for something else about burning leaves.

Massassi is blocked at work? Where do you work? Wait, wtf? How can you not view that but you can view the forums?
2009-09-22, 10:08 AM #72
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:

This is a JK editing website not a film site, why would we make a film contest that would be... well rather dumb
2009-09-22, 10:23 AM #73
Well, I doubt many people have access to equipment and people to star in it. I sure don't.
2009-09-22, 10:24 AM #74
Hmm, lookes like JK2Files had a funky contest a while ago.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2009-09-22, 12:53 PM #75
holy ****. those levels are fantastic. :psyduck:
DO NOT WANT.
2009-09-22, 12:59 PM #76
I just realized the other day that my CP map for TF2 got wiped out in my format... forgot to back it up .(

Weeks of work, gone...
2009-09-22, 3:14 PM #77
But now you can make a Payload Race map instead :v:

2009-09-23, 6:01 AM #78
Oh, I'd love to make some kind of JK level for a contest, but the problem is that A) time, B) time, and C) time. Also that JK is mostly dead, and I don't touch JO/JA.

Moreover, while a freeform level contest would garner the most interest, it could not by definition be a contest, because of the sheer impossibility of comparing different kinds of levels -- unless, of course, there were categories used for judging; but then there still wouldn't be enough entrants...
"And lo, let us open up into the holy book of Proxy2..." -genk
His pot is blacker than his kettle!
2009-09-23, 6:33 AM #79
I think what zanardi said, make it no holds barred, DF/JK/JO/JA, MP/SP.

I'd love to try to enter something, but I suspect work would get in the way...
2009-09-23, 6:43 AM #80
Massassi is blocked at work? Where do you work? Wait, wtf? How can you not view that but you can view the forums?

The corporate proxy catches the "games" category for the main page but no the forums, hahah

↑ Up to the top!