Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Thinking of getting Modern Warfare 2 for PC over a console? Don't bother.
Thinking of getting Modern Warfare 2 for PC over a console? Don't bother.
2009-11-05, 9:25 AM #1
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/11/pc-modern-warfare-2-its-much-worse-than-you-thought.ars

Here's the shortlist of everything you won't be seeing in the PC version this time around:

1. Dedicated Servers? Gone. Everyone knew about this, but it's top.
  2. The ability to choose who hosts? Gone. Decided by game, just like console.
  3. Any console commands? Gone. Yes, this includes recording.
  4. The ability to customize a game by doing things like disabling possibly unbalanced perks or guns? Gone. Infinity Ward just wants you to trust their judgment.
  5. The ability to lean? Gone. "The game is not balanced for lean." Direct quote. No joke.
  6. Modding? Of course not. Gone.
  7. Ability to kick annoying players or hackers from a game? Also gone. Infinity Ward thinks they're capable of banning people effectively.

Here's what you get for having the PC version:

1. Mouse control
  2. Text chat
  3. Debatably better graphics settings.

I wasn't a huge fan of the game to start with, but I think this is an absolute insult to PC gamers, especially considering how much of this existed in the previous game!
2009-11-05, 9:32 AM #2
... I don't understand why they would make most of these changes. Leaning?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-11-05, 9:41 AM #3
...wow.

I was going to get this for the 360 anyway to play with my housemate, but those changes are totally nonsensical.
2009-11-05, 9:42 AM #4
Getting rid of dedicated server support is a serious blow for core PC gamers, especially in any sort of competitive arena.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2009-11-05, 9:44 AM #5
Lean on me when you're not strong,
and I'll be your friend,
I'll help you carrryyy on....
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2009-11-05, 9:51 AM #6
The lack of Dedicated Servers was the biggest bit for most people.

Everything else is just more nails in the coffin.

Also: good luck playing more than 9v9.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2009-11-05, 10:45 AM #7
Thinking of getting The Force Unleashed: Ultimate Sith Edition for the PC over a bargain-bin console version? Don't bother.

Here's the shortlist of everything you won't be seeing in the PC version in this port:

1. The ability to choose graphic settings. The only thing you can choose is resolution. That's it.
  2. The ability to have frames per second over 30. It's locked at 30.
  3. Any bug fixes? Nope. Everything remains the same despite the game being more than a year old and plenty of community/critic feedback.
  4. The ability to use a mouse to target objects? Nope. Uses that same crappy auto-targeting, even when keyboard/mouse set-up is used.
  5. Modding? Of course not. Content is locked.
  6. A quick, non-facepalming installation? Nope, the game is 25 GBs on the harddrive despite being a 6 hour game.
  7. Reasonable minimum PC specs to run the game? Nope, it's more demanding than Crysis.
  8. A good port job? Not here.

Here's what you get for having the PC version:

1. Overpriced DLC comes with it.
  2. Repetitive gameplay.
  3. The latest of George Lucas's innovative and creative Star Wars vision.

I wasn't a huge fan of the game to start with, but I think this is an absolute insult to PC gamers, especially considering how much PC gamers supported LucasArts in the past!
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-11-05, 11:47 AM #8
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Ability to kick annoying players or hackers from a game? Also gone. Infinity Ward thinks they're capable of banning people effectively.

To clarify, Infinity Ward banning people means VAC banning people. As we all know from Counter Strike Source, VAC is *totally* hack proof.

I have to ask, because I never use them, but is this kind of stuff par for the course on consoles? I would have thought that even they would complain about not being able to kick players.
2009-11-05, 11:49 AM #9
Wow.. that defeats the whole point of playing the game on the PC.
2009-11-05, 12:26 PM #10
That comparison doesn't work at all.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-11-05, 3:04 PM #11
Please, stop killing PC gaming.
Signed- Everyone.
2009-11-05, 3:08 PM #12
Big deal
2009-11-05, 3:08 PM #13
Yeah, I knew of most of these points, although #3 and #5 I heard for the first time this morning. Bloody shame too, I rather liked MW.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2009-11-05, 4:16 PM #14
I still can't get over the dedicated servers thing, I mean that's why I usually choose FPS on the PC over my 360 when it comes to multiplayer online.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2009-11-06, 9:24 AM #15
Has anyone else seen the video of the airport level? It's pretty...intense. I hear you have an option of skipping the worst of it but it's quite bold.
2009-11-06, 9:49 AM #16
The one thing I don't get is lean. Why is leaning such a big deal?

The rest of it stinks though - IW will lose a LOT of custom from disgruntled PC gamers and console players too.

(Although I'm not one of them, I'll clearly buy it because I have no shame)
2009-11-06, 10:02 AM #17
Yeah, screw you guys. Martyn and I will be blasting on Xbox LIVE while you guys go cry about your PCs.
2009-11-06, 10:02 AM #18
Being able to lean out of cover in a war game is a pretty big deal. Not exposing your entire body to fire your weapon is something I would consider to be a big deal. Especially for those of us who like to play on the Veteran difficulty for the closest thing CoD will get to realism. :)
DO NOT WANT.
2009-11-06, 10:12 AM #19
I can't imagine playing a tactical shooter without lean. When you can be killed by only a couple of shots, protecting every possible inch of exposed skin is important.
$do || ! $do ; try
2009-11-06, 10:18 AM #20
But it's not on the console version... ah well. I suppose I haven't played a modern FPS on PC since Quake III Arena was brand new.
2009-11-06, 11:34 AM #21
Consoles also don't have mouse look, don't need to protect against much better accuracy.
$do || ! $do ; try
2009-11-06, 11:45 AM #22
The stupidest part is, Modern Warfare had it. So they actually had to take it out, like it was a conscious decision to omit it.
2009-11-06, 11:48 AM #23
Same with everything else, they actually spent time and money taking this out.
At no point did anyone say "Hey guys, why are we doing this?"
2009-11-06, 1:00 PM #24
"Hey guys, I got an idea. Instead of forcing players to play on these dedicated servers that ruin the game balance by removing guns and perks, let's force random players to host games. Sure, the game experience may take a few blows, but overall it's a good choice!"

I'm sure their logic went something like that. The truth is, video game companies think their player base is stupid, and don't really value player opinions.
2009-11-06, 1:03 PM #25
I like all these changes.
:master::master::master:
2009-11-06, 1:15 PM #26
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
The stupidest part is, Modern Warfare had it. So they actually had to take it out, like it was a conscious decision to omit it.

Wait, MW1 had lean? How?
DO NOT WANT.
2009-11-06, 1:17 PM #27
It was on the PC version.
2009-11-06, 1:26 PM #28
That's what I had. I didn't know you could lean. Oh well, I'm not too broken up about it.
DO NOT WANT.
2009-11-06, 1:40 PM #29
Q/E.
2009-11-06, 1:49 PM #30
Originally posted by stat:
I like all these changes.

Obvious troll is obvious.
2009-11-06, 2:06 PM #31
Originally posted by Martyn:
It was on the PC version.

And the Wii version, apparently. Saw the option in the video of the training mission today. :psylon:
2009-11-06, 10:06 PM #32
Lol I'm convinced Infinity Ward is so sick of developing CoD they're trolling their player base so they get ****ty sales so Activision lets them finally work on another IP.

Not saying it's true, just silly speculation :P CoD2 will still sell 10+ mil copies
A dream is beautiful because it remains a dream.
2009-11-06, 10:10 PM #33
2009-11-06, 10:11 PM #34
I couldn't care less about leaning, unless it's a big improvement over the previous call of duty, I found their leaning useless
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2009-11-06, 10:22 PM #35
I didn't like the first one, and I won't be buying this one. Hope it ends the series.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-11-06, 10:23 PM #36
Why do you even care whether they keep making the game at all? Seriously.
Pissed Off?
2009-11-06, 10:52 PM #37
Originally posted by KOP_AoEJedi:
I wasn't good the first one, and I know I won't be good at this one. Hope it ends the series, therefore I won't have to lose at stuff anymore :(.

fix'd
2009-11-07, 12:21 AM #38
Eh, I'm still getting the pc version over the xbox 360 version, the feel and use of a mouse and keyboard is still far superior to the controller. Though I admit controllers (especially the 360) have come a long way for fps compatibility.
Also, I do know you can get mouse and keyboard for xbox, but why would I when I have a perfectly good pc right here.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2009-11-07, 12:27 AM #39
Please don't, or hell screw it IW would just blame loss of sales on pirates and not their own stupid mistakes.
2009-11-07, 6:11 AM #40
It'd be nice to see how all the crap affected pre-order sales. If I had gotten one, I definitely would've cancelled it by now.

The other thing that IW is doing is keeping a lot of industry people in the dark. The PC Gamer guys were complaining that they haven't seen any demos, either staged or hand-on, and that IW still hasn't explained anything about this stupid match-making service yet. Nobody knows what IW is doing except these little "**** you" posts that are leaking out to piss people off.
$do || ! $do ; try

↑ Up to the top!