Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Occupy Wall Street
Occupy Wall Street
2011-09-27, 6:12 PM #41
I should have specified: the two ********s wearing groovy hats...
" I am the Lizard King, I can do anyhthing... "
2011-09-27, 6:12 PM #42
Originally posted by mscbuck:
And I can say that with some certainty, because if they did, they wouldn't be "occupying wall street".
If a lumber company is going to clear cut a forest, do you protest at the state legislature where the company was given the permit, or do you protest at the forest?

Edit: I'm not disagreeing with you about most of the protesters not understanding why they're there, but it most certainly is the correct place to do it.
2011-09-27, 6:15 PM #43
Whichever is easier for Michael Moore to make an appearance at.
2011-09-27, 6:28 PM #44

My 2 liberal same sex dads and their combined 3 1/2 chins. To specify, they are in hip hats (and they suck dick)...
2011-09-27, 6:33 PM #45
Lol Michael Moore sucks amirite?
>>untie shoes
2011-09-27, 7:00 PM #46
Originally posted by Antony:
Lol Michael Moore sucks amirite?

yes you are
2011-09-27, 7:12 PM #47
I don't know... I find him pretty funny, and the soundtracks to his movies are always top notch.
>>untie shoes
2011-09-27, 7:35 PM #48
Originally posted by Darth_Xasthur:
My 2 liberal same sex dads and their combined 3 1/2 chins. To specify, they are in hip hats (and they suck dick)...
I'm confused... when did the brain-fried hopeless pothead burn-outs stop liking Michael Moore?
2011-09-27, 8:07 PM #49
Originally posted by Jon`C:
If a lumber company is going to clear cut a forest, do you protest at the state legislature where the company was given the permit, or do you protest at the forest?

Edit: I'm not disagreeing with you about most of the protesters not understanding why they're there, but it most certainly is the correct place to do it.

I see your point, but I don't see how occupying wall street lends itself to any sort of immediate action.

Rather, with the forest, it eventually disappears. I don't know what exactly they are trying to save from extinction in this case. I suppose it serves a symbolic approach though.
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2011-09-27, 8:26 PM #50
I'm not sure who we could elect to fix it. They all love corporations. Even my boy Ron Paul dances around the libertarian position on that issue.
2011-09-27, 8:34 PM #51
We need a benevolent AI like Deus Ex that could account for everyones vote and not have human ambition

“If there were no God, it would have been necessary to invent him.” - Voltaire
2011-09-27, 8:39 PM #52
Originally posted by Couchman:
We need a benevolent AI like Deus Ex that could account for everyones vote and not have human ambition

Or we need some sort of hypnotoad......
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2011-09-27, 9:35 PM #53
"Those people with the champagne will be the first against the wall, mark my words"
-Dad.
2011-09-27, 9:40 PM #54
Originally posted by Jon`C:
I'm confused... when did the brain-fried hopeless pothead burn-outs stop liking Michael Moore?

Hey don't put me in that group. I'm not a pothead. The rest applies, though.
>>untie shoes
2011-09-27, 9:48 PM #55
So far a lot of this movement seems to be an attempt to build (whether conscious or not) a Left wing populist response to the Right wing populist Tea Party. Both are vague and not focused or very cohesive in terms of analysis or ideology at this point (although both certainly have elements/sections that are)
2011-09-27, 9:48 PM #56
Michael Moore is there? Its officially a ****ing joke now.
2011-09-27, 10:59 PM #57
I like his stuff because it's funny and he'll make two or three good points per hour, skip the person to person interviews though.
2011-09-27, 11:33 PM #58
Originally posted by x25064:
Michael Moore is there? Its officially a ****ing joke now.

Yes... one person invalidates thousands. Continue to display your stupidity please.
>>untie shoes
2011-09-27, 11:34 PM #59
Pretty cool to see Xasthur back to remind all of us why no one missed him.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2011-09-28, 12:00 AM #60
Originally posted by TSM_Bguitar:
This has gotten more coverage than people are claiming. A photo series is on the main page of Yahoo! News, the arrests were pretty widely covered, etc.

It appears to me that most of the major news corporations ignored the event(s) until after the arrests & after hundreds of videos were being posted around the internet, essentially bypassing them. If they were really "covering" the event(s) then why is almost all of the relevant footage from amateurs using their iPhones? I think that the people who are complaining about the amount of coverage are doing so because they think that the protests themselves were newsworthy. A few "commentators" on the left-wing & right-wing stations don't really count as "news" & you don't get to come along a week later & pretend that you've been doing your job.
? :)
2011-09-28, 12:06 AM #61
Originally posted by Darth_Alran:
I have to say, I'm not exactly sure about the purpose of their protests. If they are worried about the political clout wall street has in Washington (I generally think that is a worrisome thing) then maybe they should be protesting at the Capitol? The "1%" they are protesting can make all the campaign contributions they want, it's still the "99%" who elect these sad sacks.

If you believe that banks &/or corporations run the show, why would you waste your time attempting to appeal to those that take their bribes? It appears to me that this protest is more of an appeal to the American people than to Washington. Also, Washington has had its fair share of protests. Maybe it's time to do something different.
2011-09-28, 12:27 AM #62
Honestly, I found this whole protest pretty laughable and hilarious. Then again, i'm sure 99% of the people there don't actually have any idea what actually played into the crisis and why the economy is in the ****ter (gee, lets turn a blind eye to the toxic banking environment created by the federal government since the 1970s and lets just blame bankers, not that they aren't partially to blame). And I can say that with some certainty, because if they did, they wouldn't be "occupying wall street".

There's no eligibility requirements for protesting. In a country full of idiots, any large gathering is going to consist of at least a few of them (some of them have more than their share). However, after watching dozens of interviews, I must admit that I took away just the opposite observation. There appears to be a disproportionate amount of intelligent people that seem to have some idea of why they're there (unlike what we see with the Tea Party). I also find it odd how you say they're ignoring things that are central to so many of the protestors. Granted, they're not an army of economists, but no rational person would expect them to be.
2011-09-28, 12:47 AM #63
I see your point, but I don't see how occupying wall street lends itself to any sort of immediate action. Rather, with the forest, it eventually disappears. I don't know what exactly they are trying to save from extinction in this case. I suppose it serves a symbolic approach though.

Nothing, in this particular case, lends itself to immediate action. Anything slightly more than what they're doing now will be met with violence (much more than has already been used). I'm not certain that they're protesting to stop any sort of extinction, but if you'd like, you could think of it as them trying to stop the extinction of the "middle class".
2011-09-28, 12:51 AM #64
Originally posted by JM:
I'm not sure who we could elect to fix it. They all love corporations. Even my boy Ron Paul dances around the libertarian position on that issue.

These problems will exist as long as corporations are people.
2011-09-28, 3:56 AM #65
Originally posted by Mentat:
These All problems will exist as long as corporations people are people.

Fixed.
2011-09-28, 4:41 AM #66
Yes... one person invalidates thousands.

Yes, historically one leader has always represented the group behind his ideal or cause. Invalidation through leadership? Think Jim Jones, the Moonies, international opinion on America during the Bush administration, stereotyped perception of Islam in America post 9/11, the list goes on. The only thing invalid here is your logic.

Quote:
Continue to display your stupidity please.

u mad?
2011-09-28, 4:59 AM #67
Quote:
These problems will exist as long as corporations are people.
For clarification the libertarian position is that corporations are illegal. Specifically, they only exist because the government grants non-entities rights. When the 'company' ****s up, the owner skates, because the government has allowed him to transfer his responsibility to a made up entity.
2011-09-28, 5:00 AM #68
Quote:
Yes, historically one leader has always represented the group behind his ideal or cause. Invalidation through leadership? Think Jim Jones, the Moonies, international opinion on America during the Bush administration, stereotyped perception of Islam in America post 9/11, the list goes on. The only thing invalid here is your logic.

And in all those cases, the people who judged the entire group off of one person were idiots. Further, Moore isn't even the leader of this.

Good luck defending that position.
2011-09-28, 7:12 AM #69
This is me agreeing with JM.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2011-09-28, 7:34 AM #70
Moore isn't leading this any more than Noam Chomsky, Cornell West or Chris Hedges. There are too many different groups for there to be a "leader".
2011-09-28, 8:06 AM #71
Originally posted by Mentat:
If you believe that banks &/or corporations run the show, why would you waste your time attempting to appeal to those that take their bribes? It appears to me that this protest is more of an appeal to the American people than to Washington. Also, Washington has had its fair share of protests. Maybe it's time to do something different.

Well if you look at their message: they are claiming inspiration from Tahrir Square in Egypt. So the point isn't necessarily to demand concessions from Wall St, as to replace that social order. But I think they're still too vague. They should probably be calling for expropriation
2011-09-28, 8:14 AM #72
Could you guys maybe like hold your political knowledge over my face and slowly massage it so maybe I can catch the drippings and be as smart as you?
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2011-09-28, 9:09 AM #73
Originally posted by Alan:
Could you guys maybe like hold your political knowledge over my face and slowly massage it so maybe I can catch the drippings and be as smart as you?

I honestly don't care about politics anymore. The only reason I check this thread is for entertaining comments. Such as Alan's. LOL
2011-09-28, 9:27 AM #74
Originally posted by JM:
And in all those cases, the people who judged the entire group off of one person were idiots. Further, Moore isn't even the leader of this.

Good luck defending that position.

But Michael Moore is famous, so as an idiot, I will assume he is in charge.
>>untie shoes
2011-09-28, 9:33 AM #75
But Michael Moore is famous, so as an idiot, I will assume he is in charge.

It is usually safe to assume that the idiot is in charge.
2011-09-28, 9:42 AM #76
I refuse to believe that x25064 is in charge.
>>untie shoes
2011-09-28, 10:01 AM #77
Originally posted by Alan:

I don't see how I was being condescending here. Someone was talking about the nature of protesting against Wall St, and I didn't even really disagree
2011-09-28, 10:13 AM #78
I refuse to believe that x25064 is in charge.

Literally lolling!
2011-09-28, 10:21 AM #79
I never assumed he was in charge, and Antony quite frankly you can [hey look Im a child!]

When people in positions of power (royalty, government, media, celebrity etc) make public appearances at events, it has significant impact on those who attend. Naturally since Michael Moore is a whiney liberal with a considerable amount of media attention, other whiney liberals, mostly in attendance here, will look to him as a leader or a figurehead. This may not be the mentality for all, but I am sure it is the mentality for most. Its Sociology 101, really elementary.

I am done responding to stupid knit-picking. Michael Moore is an idiot, plain and simple and I am ****ing [child], but we already knew this.. annnnd bananas.
2011-09-28, 10:26 AM #80
Originally posted by x25064:
you marine

Is/was Antony a marine?
- Paranoia is simply having more information then everyone else -
- Ignorance is bliss, but knowing what you know, would you forget it to go back? -

↑ Up to the top!