Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Occupy Wall Street
Occupy Wall Street
2011-10-11, 1:41 PM #321
Originally posted by Ford:
Satire of real job postings out there. It seems that most companies want to fill entry-level positions with people with 2-5+ years of experience. experience that is impossible to get because all the entry-level positions have the requirement of 2-5+ years of experience!

Ah! Apparently the satire flew right over my head... Yet again

-_-
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2011-10-11, 2:43 PM #322
Originally posted by Jon`C:
I'd really hope that most of the people in OWS, or anywhere else, wouldn't have a problem with someone making a lot of money as long as they're doing something to earn it.

I highly doubt that, although I'd also hope you are right. Parading by millionaire homes is a blanket statement. You make more money than we do. You should pay more taxes. Every one of those homes could've been earned through hard work. Unlikely, but it's possible. They aren't taking the time to find out though, which is telling. Again, this is another area where a more focused approach would've helped OWS.

Originally posted by Ford:
It seems that most companies want to fill entry-level positions with people with 2-5+ years of experience. experience that is impossible to get because all the entry-level positions have the requirement of 2-5+ years of experience!

It's your own damn fault if you don't apply for those jobs. Seriously. I'm not sure what you were taught, but it costs almost zero dollars to apply for a job, and just because they ask for experience, does not mean that you aren't smart enough to learn it on the job, or have qualifications that would put you in a similar spot. I applied for a job where I use SAS every day. I had never used SAS, or done any statistical programming up to that point. I still applied for the job. Almost every single job I applied for said "experience with X is recommended". Most of the time, I never had experience with X.

You should NEVER refrain from applying to entry-level positions that require experience. It is simply a weed-out line for people who aren't confident in their abilities. Out of the seven jobs I applied for out of school, 5 of the representatives I spoke with TOLD ME that it was a weed-out line.

Now obviously, if they are asking for someone with a PhD or Masters, it's a different story.
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2011-10-11, 3:51 PM #323
Well, really i havent been in the market for a job yet, but looking just for my future reference for after i graduate. good tip that its a weed-out line though. ;)
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2011-10-11, 4:07 PM #324
The only reason Canadians go to the United States for treatment is because many experimental procedures and drugs are available which have not been approved here. It's not because you have a better healthcare system. You don't.

The only reason? Sorry, but the only reason would be completely incorrect. It might be a reason, but not the only one. None of the procedures are experimental, nor are they at all unapproved in Canada. Of course, treatment in my syndrome's case is a bit of a misnomer (my bad), because it's really treatment of symptoms and complications instead of the cause (which has no cure or anything close).

No, in reality, almost every Canadian with my syndrome comes to the USA for: better diagnosis, therapy, surgery, and treatment. There aren't any drugs that apply (besides pain medication). There is an order of magnitude more doctors in the USA familiar with vascular malformations in general. And some of the highest-class surgeons for those malformations are here. While they are trying to change that (usually by sending doctors abroad, both to Canada and to Europe to train others), for the past few decades that the syndrome has grown in number, it has held true.

Note that I am not running off of just crap here when I say all this. I don't think hundreds of patients and a Chief of Surgery makes this crap up.
2011-10-11, 4:14 PM #325
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
The only reason? Sorry, but the only reason would be completely incorrect. It might be a reason, but not the only one. None of the procedures are experimental, nor are they at all unapproved in Canada.
In which case the Canadian government approves the procedure and covers it in the usual sense. It's really no different than e.g. American diabetes patients coming to the University of Alberta for islet transplants.
2011-10-11, 4:45 PM #326
In which case the Canadian government approves the procedure and covers it in the usual sense. It's really no different than e.g. American diabetes patients coming to the University of Alberta for islet transplants.

Of course they pay for it, but they're not doing the procedures.
2011-10-11, 8:49 PM #327
The problem with the US healthcare system is the same problem everything else has now. The feds got involved. Congress gave a group they don't control, that nobody votes for, the power to decide who can legally practice medicine and who cannot. Now they flex by doing such absurd things as limiting the number of medical students there are allowed to be.
2011-10-12, 1:22 AM #328
Of course they pay for it, but they're not doing the procedures.
So what? The Canadian healthcare system is still providing the healthcare. The fact that they're sending people to a foreign expert is completely irrelevant, as is the fact that American insurance companies are sending people to Canadian experts.

I actually agree that the United States has better doctors, but your unqualified claim based on anecdotal evidence is completely invalid.
2011-10-12, 6:31 AM #329
Yeah! There are lots of jobs for anybody who wants one! **** you, lazy unemployed poors.

You might also want to consider McDonalds.

This is typical of ads in Tampa as well. Most job postings require 2-4 years of experience, a degree, and a good attitude, but only pay $8.50 an hour. It's pretty ridiculous.

It comes with the job. The Stanford prison experiment proved it. You put on that uniform, you put yourself in a position of unassailable lordship over other people, and you become a terrible ****ing human being. We make ourselves feel safer by saying they're heroes, doing highly-skilled and dangerous work to protect us... but it's bull****. It's all bull****. If any of it were true the job would have to pay a ****ton more than it does. The reality is that they're borderline-unemployable mongoloids who spend their days doing a liveried and questionably more dangerous version of unskilled manual labor, the work of high school drop-outs. The reality is they aren't in the business of protecting us, they're in the business of protecting themselves. As long as they stay alive and get paid, they don't give a **** what happens to the rest of us. Period.

I'm a law abiding citizen and I think cops are *******s. That being said, it would be silly to think that they don't protect us at all. Again, here in Tampa the police have started copying New York's tactics, and crime has fallen by 60% in the last few years. That ends up being over 100,000 less crime victims in my city, which also makes it more attractive for business. Here in town and across the bay in St. Pete several cops (4 that I can think of) have been killed in the last year alone. It is a dangerous job, and it's a needed job.

That said, I still trust a gun and a baseball bat more than any member of law enforcement. I'd rather risk my own life attacking an assailant than risk having a cop tazer my balls for no apparent reason.
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2011-10-12, 7:11 AM #330
Quote:
I work at a nursing home kitchen with people of all ages that are almost all lower class or lower-middle class citizens. While some of them are victims of misfortune, most are in the place they are because they are because they neglected to see the value of education. Most of them are ghetto trash.

You need to be extremely careful that you don't so strongly equate 'education' (by which I assume you mean schooling) with being something other than 'ghetto trash.' Education, as you call it, doesn't change people. I work in a place filled with people like that too. Most of them attend school, while I do not, and I am clearly more intelligent and more low-key than 95% of the people there. Nature vs. nurture, man. As usual, nurture is overstated.

Note: I'm talking about very specific aspects of intelligence. For example, my ability to spell 'ridiculous' without a 'q' and my propensity to avoid burdening myself with nuisances like children. I read a book during my break and was automatically assumed to be smart and/or a nerd because of it. This, coming from someone who is currently attending school.

Do I think this makes me superior? No. There are people there clearly more ambitious than I am, more social, and who are very good at spreading their genes.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2011-10-12, 7:47 AM #331
I actually agree that the United States has better doctors, but your unqualified claim based on anecdotal evidence is completely invalid.

If you actually agree then you had no reason to post all that crap in the first place, since that was the entire claim. I was specifically talking about the quality of doctors this entire time. You are the only one that has mentioned healthcare at all during this.

Also, nothing I said was anecdotal. It's based on actual reports from hundreds of patients and multiple surgeons. They're not just "saying" this, I've actually seen the bills, the files, etc. Hell, I've even been a part of a large vascular malformations meeting and presentation for these reports before. And proof that said meetings exist: http://www.childrenshospital.org/clinicalservices/Site1964/mainpageS1964P0.html under "group think". I can't post the content of those meetings as I'm not aware of their availability on the internet, but I'm sure if you wanted to pop in during one of them they'd be more than happy to accommodate!

That's about all that needs to be said on this matter. Stop trying to turn this into a healthcare debate.
2011-10-12, 7:54 AM #332
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44872639/ns/us_news-life/

More homes for OWS to parade around?

2011-10-12, 9:11 AM #333
Originally posted by Couchman:
there are more talented and clever people in the world who in the future will have jobs above me. They earned them, I can't deny that. The strongest and smartest should be above me.

And to those above me, like you JonC, who are dazzling brilliant and hard-working yourself, when you are above me in the system you have my full promise that I won't complain, I will know you have earned it and I would feel hypocritcal and guilty if I ever expected to indulge myself in your earnings. You by all means are the winner, I can't deny that fact, well played, no hard feelings at all.

previous President of the USA... more talented? more intelligent? hardest working?

yup. your system works great
<spe> maevie - proving dykes can't fly

<Dor> You're levelling up and gaining more polys!
2011-10-12, 9:25 AM #334
Originally posted by maevie:
previous President of the USA... more talented? more intelligent? hardest working?

I'm not sure what being a "more talented" president even is supposed to mean, but no matter what president you are talking about, I can assure you that EVERY president is working hard. The stress of working with Congress alone would make me want to shoot myself. I don't think you can say that any President was "lazy". I think this is just you blasting Bush, but that's typical from British people in my experience. Also in my experience, every British student had absolutely zero clue about how politics work in America. My "Democracy and the US Government" class over there was laughable.

2011-10-12, 10:44 AM #335
ugh.

Yeah, there are crazy people in OWS. There are crazy people in every movement like this. Conflating the opinions of the communists and burn-outs with the entire group is as much a mistake as calling the Tea Party a white supremacist organization* just because of the survivalists.

Actually the Communists down at OWS are far less crazy than any of the right-wing conspiracy theorists who go down there. And it of course depends on which Communist group you're talking about, there are at least 5-7 Communist groups in NYC, some of them are bat****, and some of them are made up of "normal" folks.
2011-10-12, 1:15 PM #336
That's about all that needs to be said on this matter. Stop trying to turn this into a healthcare debate.
If you didn't want to turn this thread into a healthcare debate, why did you debate Mentat's remark about healthcare?

Nevermind, blujay. I know what happens to people who disagree with you about a product/service you are emotionally invested in.
2011-10-13, 1:06 AM #337
Originally posted by mscbuck:
I'm not sure what being a "more talented" president even is supposed to mean, but no matter what president you are talking about, I can assure you that EVERY president is working hard. The stress of working with Congress alone would make me want to shoot myself. I don't think you can say that any President was "lazy". I think this is just you blasting Bush, but that's typical from British people in my experience. Also in my experience, every British student had absolutely zero clue about how politics work in America. My "Democracy and the US Government" class over there was laughable.

Well Couchman was talking about the people at the top being talented and clever, and my point was that he got where he was not through talent and hard work but through privilege and connections.

And I should also clarify that this isn't in any way a statement against the US (as opposed to the UK): it's been 20 years since we had a Prime Minister who wasn't raised in the most coddled, over-privileged environment so as to breed a sense of entitlement and self-confidence, and then spent their time in office shmoozing with the business-folk that helped fund them to get them there.

2011-10-13, 3:07 AM #338
culminating yesterday in the probable death-knell of the NHS... :(

2011-10-13, 7:14 PM #339
occupyherbstreit.tumblr.com
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2011-10-13, 8:06 PM #340
If you didn't want to turn this thread into a healthcare debate, why did you debate Mentat's remark about healthcare?

I specifically quoted and talked about doctors, NOT all healthcare. As I said before, the only one talking about healthcare is you. That was all that needed to be said, because you seriously don't have anywhere to go from here. I'm not pulling a blujay, I'm just trying to convince you not to bother with a linguistic masturbation session wherein you repeat the same thing over and over in slightly different ways.
2011-10-19, 1:59 AM #341
Some of you may find this article from Wired to be interesting.
? :)
2011-10-19, 5:11 AM #342
A video from the 1979 Wall St. Occupation.

? :)
2011-10-19, 8:24 AM #343
Originally posted by Mentat:
Some of you may find this article from Wired to be interesting.

well that is an interesting article.

i started following and talking with one of the local occupy movements of face book and am probably going to go to one of their general assembly meeting and possibly a march thingy later this week, mostly out of morbid curiosity.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2011-10-19, 4:17 PM #344
why are the people revolting i thought they loved me
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.

↑ Up to the top!