Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Occupy Wall Street
Occupy Wall Street
2011-10-02, 8:18 PM #161
somebody has a crush!
>>untie shoes
2011-10-02, 9:39 PM #162
Sorry, don't know how to play this video :(
http://www.vimeo.com/29906321
2011-10-02, 11:20 PM #163
I hope they're all released quickly so they can get right back out & protest.
? :)
2011-10-03, 9:28 AM #164
yeah, the more i read about this protest and what exactly they are about the less i can get behind it. i do fervently support their right to protest and i really do think the way the police have been handling this has been some B.S. but as for the content of the protest...meh.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2011-10-03, 9:39 AM #165
http://www.jpmorganchase.com/corporate/Home/article/ny-13.htm

Sure is blatant.
2011-10-03, 9:51 AM #166
I don't oppose the idea nor the means of peaceful protesting, but frankly I question the point. At best it's symbolic. I think any sensible person realizes that the corporations and politicians are going to just sit back and avoid making waves until the protests are finally exhausted. Then it'll be back to business as usual. Frankly, if they wanted to affect change, they would not only need protesting on the order of at least ten times the number right now, but they'd need to affect voting significantly.

To be honest, I think the most exciting idea for "revolution" would be a successful third political party. One that comes out of left field and not only takes the presidency but grabs majority seating in Congress. Of course, that's a pipe dream right now, but it's fun to dream.
2011-10-03, 10:15 AM #167
Go Bernie, it's your birthday!

http://current.com/shows/countdown/videos/occupy-wall-street-bernie-sanders-celebrates-protests-calls-for-real-wall-street-reform
2011-10-03, 10:33 AM #168
Revolution is only impossible because you & so many others think it is. Do you really think that there aren't hundreds or thousands of people involved in these protests that aren't just as skeptical as you? These people see a multitude of problems & many of them don't know what to do about it so they're expressing their dissatisfaction in the only way that they know how. Many of them saw their "hope & change" get flushed down the toilet with Obama & now they've discovered that voting is a joke.
2011-10-03, 1:01 PM #169
honestly i dont think revolution is impossible. i am just really not sure i want any part of this future these people want to build. yes a better future for veryone is a great and inviting enterprise. however there is a massive divide amongst the citizenry as to what that that means and how to get there, from step one!

there are reallyony two things i can strongly agree with so far with this movement, corperations should not be considerd as people, and the bedroom antics between the government and business need to end.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2011-10-03, 1:19 PM #170
Originally posted by Tibby:

Gaaaaaahhhh.

Seriously? I can't believe they actually plaster this on the net for all to see. The arrogance of those *******s, trying to play it off as some noble cause. What's worse is your average Joe with his head up his ass will see it that way.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2011-10-03, 3:40 PM #171
A donation of 4.6 million to pay for 1000 laptops, or, $4600 per laptop. http://www.fdc.net.nz/productsandservices/itemdetails.asp?itemid=275591 Seems like a lot of machine for writing speeding tickets.
2011-10-03, 3:52 PM #172
Originally posted by JM:
A donation of 4.6 million to pay for 1000 laptops, or, $4600 per laptop. http://www.fdc.net.nz/productsandservices/itemdetails.asp?itemid=275591 Seems like a lot of machine for writing speeding tickets.

They're probably Toughbooks with car mounts, extensive warranties, and network service crap. So they're highly unlikely to be that tripped out.
2011-10-03, 4:42 PM #173
Or it's just a blatant bribe and won't be used for what they say it will.
2011-10-03, 4:47 PM #174
Or it could've happened a couple months ago (in June) like people are starting to report and you are jumping to conclusions. People just dug this **** up and are plastering it all over like it happened now. Jesus christ. This Occupy Wall Street protest is getting into fox news level territory of hilarity.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-06-03/scene-last-night-perelman-bon-jovi-at-new-city-police-foundation-s-gala.html
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2011-10-03, 5:09 PM #175
Originally posted by Tibby:
Or it's just a blatant bribe and won't be used for what they say it will.

Or such a large sum given publicly would have a significantly easy paper trail to trace and thus could be even casually identified as legitimate. All it'd take is a "let's see the invoice" + "let's see the new car installations". Woh, that was hard to prove!

:rolleyes:
2011-10-03, 5:38 PM #176
Nah man!!! you guys are buying into the cover-up man!!! its a conspiracy man!
2011-10-03, 6:06 PM #177
Originally posted by Mentat:
Revolution is only impossible because you & so many others think it is. Do you really think that there aren't hundreds or thousands of people involved in these protests that aren't just as skeptical as you? These people see a multitude of problems & many of them don't know what to do about it so they're expressing their dissatisfaction in the only way that they know how. Many of them saw their "hope & change" get flushed down the toilet with Obama & now they've discovered that voting is a joke.

"Because revolution -- armed uprising--requires not only dissatisfaction but aggressiveness. A revolutionist has to be willing to fight and die -- or he is just a parlour pink. If you separate out the aggressive ones and make them the sheep dogs, the sheep will never give you trouble."
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2011-10-03, 9:45 PM #178
Originally posted by mscbuck:
Or it could've happened a couple months ago (in June) like people are starting to report and you are jumping to conclusions. People just dug this **** up and are plastering it all over like it happened now. Jesus christ. This Occupy Wall Street protest is getting into fox news level territory of hilarity.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-06-03/scene-last-night-perelman-bon-jovi-at-new-city-police-foundation-s-gala.html

The conspiracy theorists would merely say that they were buying insurance in case something like this happened. It isn't much of a leap when you take protests & rioting around the world in to consideration (much of which started before this donation). Maybe they took the predictions that this sort of thing was likely to happen in the U.S. more seriously than we did.

I personally think that it's a waste of time trying to surmise "why" they did this. Conjecture doesn't really strengthen the case of either side.
2011-10-03, 9:50 PM #179
Originally posted by Alan:
"Because revolution -- armed uprising--requires not only dissatisfaction but aggressiveness. A revolutionist has to be willing to fight and die -- or he is just a parlour pink. If you separate out the aggressive ones and make them the sheep dogs, the sheep will never give you trouble."

As we know from studying even our own history, aggressiveness often followed peaceful protest, if grievances were serious enough to warrant it. I'm obviously not saying that this will necessarily turn aggressive. I'm skeptical because of our complacency. However, we certainly have a long history of aggressiveness.
2011-10-03, 10:50 PM #180
Ahhhh, screw it. I'm now supporting a revolution of any kind. I don't have to see eye to eye with them to agree that something is rotten, and the quicker this house of cards collapses the sooner every one can get about the business of rebuilding, hopefully with a stronger foundation.
2011-10-04, 4:56 AM #181
A revolution would be very, very bad. We would have to completely remove corporations from any sort of power first, or all we'll do is sweep out the government and leave them in it's place.
2011-10-04, 6:57 AM #182
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
I don't oppose the idea nor the means of peaceful protesting, but frankly I question the point. At best it's symbolic. I think any sensible person realizes that the corporations and politicians are going to just sit back and avoid making waves until the protests are finally exhausted. Then it'll be back to business as usual. Frankly, if they wanted to affect change, they would not only need protesting on the order of at least ten times the number right now, but they'd need to affect voting significantly.

To be honest, I think the most exciting idea for "revolution" would be a successful third political party. One that comes out of left field and not only takes the presidency but grabs majority seating in Congress. Of course, that's a pipe dream right now, but it's fun to dream.

That would be, by definition, a reformist outcome, not a revolutionary one.

Quote:
Revolution is only impossible because you & so many others think it is.

Reminds me of the Che quote (or seemingly attributed quote) "Let's be realists, let's do the impossible"

Quote:
A revolution would be very, very bad. We would have to completely remove corporations from any sort of power first, or all we'll do is sweep out the government and leave them in it's place.

Well considering that "Wall St" is the target of this movement, I would say that's first on the agenda: removing corporate rule over society
2011-10-04, 8:26 AM #183
Originally posted by JM:

i dont think it even needs to be a successful revolution, the people in power just need to see it.

Quote:
What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve a spirit of resistance?
2011-10-04, 10:19 AM #184
Oh my GOD!!!! Its like they don't WANT to be taken seriously!

Here is a list of their (proposed)demands right from the occupy wall St website:
http://occupywallst.org/forum/proposed-list-of-demands-for-occupy-wall-st-moveme/

This is some radical fruitcake ****!
2011-10-04, 10:26 AM #185
Quote:
Demand eleven: Immediate across the board debt forgiveness for all. Debt forgiveness of sovereign debt, commercial loans, home mortgages, home equity loans, credit card debt, student loans and personal loans now! All debt must be stricken from the "Books." World Bank Loans to all Nations, Bank to Bank Debt and all Bonds and Margin Call Debt in the stock market including all Derivatives or Credit Default Swaps, all 65 trillion dollars of them must also be stricken from the "Books." And I don't mean debt that is in default, I mean all debt on the entire planet period.

yeesh...

edit: that's just one member of the site posting that... read the comments
2011-10-04, 10:44 AM #186
Originally posted by Darth_Alran:

Here is a list of their (proposed)demands right from the occupy wall St website:
http://occupywallst.org/forum/proposed-list-of-demands-for-occupy-wall-st-moveme/

That list isn't that radical. It's more akin to something you would find in a social democratic party in the European mainstream actually
2011-10-04, 12:56 PM #187
ah! i didnt notice that was just ONE guys work. thanks for pointing that out. i feel a little better about this.

Originally posted by TSM_Bguitar:
That list isn't that radical. It's more akin to something you would find in a social democratic party in the European mainstream actually

you mean like the way Spain, Italy and Greece are set up??
2011-10-04, 1:43 PM #188
Guys nuts. But I agree with him on the infrastructure point...
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2011-10-04, 2:11 PM #189

First, that is a forum post, so that doesn't accurately paint what the movement is trying to achieve.

But yes, I have come across that, and it is absolutely hilarious. I really want to give the benefit of the doubt to the protestors and say that this isn't what they believe. This is just a shining example of gross ignorance. Seriously, 20/hr minimum wage. 100% taxes/tariffs on imported goods. Debt forgiveness for all. Every economist must be just peeing their pants right now from laughter. ANYBODY who thinks those first two are good ideas should be barred from ever talking about the economy.
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2011-10-04, 2:20 PM #190

Why not point out the countries that are doing relatively well (considering)? Besides, the U.S. isn't doing that great either (thus is why there are protests in over 50 cities).
2011-10-04, 2:48 PM #191
Imposing tariffs isn't necessarily bad, as long as you make a distinction between compensating for foreign government policies and labor market protectionism. The free market cannot compensate for externalities, but artificially increasing the prices of imports would expose those costs to consumers. Raising the minimum wage is a bad idea because it will only drive inflation.

Universal single-payer healthcare system is good for the economy for a lot of reasons. The American private system is enormous, expensive and inefficient. Insurance companies dictate acceptable procedures to doctors and require expensive, unreasonably detailed accounting. Doctors face more personal risk and need to sacrifice more of their income to malpractice insurance and settlements. Furthermore, health insurance premiums have been increasing drastically since 2007, with simultaneous decreases in coverage; health insurance is becoming a truly debilitating cost of employment, driving unemployment in sectors where health insurance is an expected benefit. Private healthcare significantly increases the risk of business and recreational travel to the United States. Private healthcare expenses are the #1 cause of bankruptcy and debt foreclosure in the United States.

Guaranteed living wage income is a terrible idea.

Free college education would be a horrible waste of resources. It's already a horrible waste of resources. The majority of jobs do not require a college education.

A fast-track process to end the waste of fossil fuels is good. Unfortunately, the only efficient alternative energy source is nuclear fission.

Infrastructure spending would be good.

Ecological restoration would be good. Decommissioning all of America's nuclear power plants would be good if and only if the plants are then replaced with safer and more efficient nuclear power plants.

Racial and gender equal rights amendment might be good, it's come up before (and passed congress, but wasn't ratified.)

Open borders migration is a terrible idea.

Electoral accountability is a good idea.

Debt forgiveness might be a good idea. Realistically, most of the debt floating around today is never going to be repaid. It's a total house of cards. There are an awful lot of delinquent debts, but the banks aren't acting on them because it would look bad on their quarterlies. Annihilating this debt would allow debtors to gain at least some utility from their purchase, and it would allow investors to see how much money the financial companies have actually lost.

Outlawing credit reporting agencies is a terrible idea.

Laws protecting collective action are a good idea.
2011-10-04, 3:03 PM #192
Originally posted by Jon`C:
A fast-track process to end the waste of fossil fuels is good. Unfortunately, the only efficient alternative energy source is nuclear fission.
While I understand that relying SOLELY on any one other alternative energy source for major power needs is not nearly as effective as nuclear, and while I understand that solar has a very low energy conversion rate (something like 5-10% I think?), I fail to understand why something like solar can't be more widely implemented apart from political ones. From everything I know, solar generally pays for its initial cost after 5-10 years and then...free, practically limitless energy. It's not like power can't be STORED for when there's a cloudy day (a reason why solar-powered flashlights are actually useful). I just fail to understand why implementing something like solar is such a terrible idea, especially in conjunction with other sources.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2011-10-04, 3:29 PM #193
Originally posted by Gebohq:
I fail to understand why something like solar can't be more widely implemented apart from political ones
Production plants are fairly cheap to build. They use a huge fresnel lens to focus sunlight on a core, usually molten sodium iirc, and use the heat to drive a steam turbine. The problem is that it uses up a ton of land, so the only reasonable place to build the plant is where the land quality is low, like in the desert, but it makes cooling/condensation less efficient and it makes the water more expensive and/or environmentally harmful.

It's also not practical to store the energy in meaningful quantities; the few appropriate battery technologies still require too much room, cost too much money, and have memory. Capacitors are too inefficient.

Photovoltaic is lol.
2011-10-04, 3:40 PM #194
I was thinking more along the lines of sticking panels on top of houses and such, but at least now I know why for the major power plants!
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2011-10-04, 3:58 PM #195
Originally posted by Gebohq:
I was thinking more along the lines of sticking panels on top of houses and such, but at least now I know why for the major power plants!
Putting panels on houses is definitely practical in some places, e.g. California, where loads peak during the sunniest parts of the day. You don't even need to store the excess power in this case, just dump it onto the grid and let apartment buildings have the excess.

They're already doing this, though, and it takes something like 6-8 years to break even (not including whatever time you spend cleaning them off.) Good luck paying off a solar panel in 6-8 years in the Pacific Northwest!
2011-10-05, 4:58 AM #196
This is pretty cool if you've got 10 minutes to spare.

ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2011-10-05, 7:38 AM #197

No, I mean more along the lines of the health care system in the UK, the Welfare state of Sweden, etc.

Those are what us Leftists call "reformist" ideologies, not revolutionary or radical ones. Not that revolutionaries aren't involved in this thing of course.

Anyway this is a development: [h=1]Citing Police Trap, Protesters File Suit[/h]http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/05/nyregion/citing-police-trap-protesters-file-suit.html

Quote:
A group of people arrested on the Brooklyn Bridge as part of the Occupy Wall Street protests last week filed a suit against New York City on Tuesday, alleging that officers had violated their constitutional rights by luring them into a trap and then arresting them.

The lawsuit, filed in Federal District Court in Manhattan, says that protesters who marched to the Brooklyn Bridge on Saturday were led onto the bridge’s roadway by commanding police officers. Once protesters were on the bridge, the complaint says, officers prevented them from leaving. More than 700 people were arrested.
After the protesters were taken into custody, the police released videos showing an officer with a bullhorn warning protesters that they would be arrested if they did not get off the roadway. But those warnings “could not be heard mere feet away,” the suit says.
“We believe the N.Y.P.D. engaged in a premeditated, planned, scripted and calculated effort to get the protesters off the street,” said Mara Verheyden-Hilliard, executive director of the Partnership for Civil Justice Fund, which is representing the protesters.
The class-action lawsuit, which says such tactics have been ruled illegal in other cases, seeks to ban similar measures in the future. It also demands that the arrests be expunged and requests unspecified damages.
On Tuesday evening, the city’s Law Department said it had not been formally served with the suit, which also names Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg and Raymond W. Kelly, the police commissioner. The Police Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
“The police did exactly what they were supposed to do,” Mr. Bloomberg said on Sunday.
2011-10-05, 9:40 AM #198
Isn't the city bus service suing them too? Goddamn what a huge waste of tax dollars the NYPD is engaged in. Oh wait no JPMorgan made sure they have enough money.
2011-10-05, 12:43 PM #199
Originally posted by TSM_Bguitar:
No, I mean more along the lines of the health care system in the UK, the Welfare state of Sweden, etc.

ah, ok. thought you were refering to the whole shabang, like the guaranteed living wages of 20$/hr regardless of employment and completely open borders combined with doing away with free trade...
2011-10-05, 2:22 PM #200
Originally posted by Jon`C:
I cited the Stanford Prison Experiment, which (along with the Milgram experiment) illustrates that our behaviors are informed more strongly by context than by personal judgement or ethics. If your conclusions about the study are so insignificant, you are not as well-informed as you think you are.

I said right in the text you quoted, that those (common knowledge) experiments demonstrate certain broad problems inherent with authority. However, they in no way demonstrate that all implementations of authority systems are strongly susceptible to this behavior, and it would be highly dishonest, and quite frankly stupid to claim this. It certainly does not support your thesis that all police are terrible people on power trips.

Quote:
I've cited the well-recognized and documented institutional failure of the New Orleans police following Hurricane Katrina. I've also cited an (extreme) historical example of law enforcement corruption toppling a government. This is only inadequate if you believe your country is exceptional.

What did I say about single cases. Have you never heard of a part to whole fallacy? Demonstrating that one implementation is bad does not prove that all are. This is like saying that because the I-35W Mississippi River bridge collapsed, all bridges are inherently flawed. This is bad reasoning on a very, very obvious and fundamental level.

Quote:
Someone who cites the Corruption Perceptions Index has no business questioning the scientific reasoning of anybody else.

I never said it was a great source, it's just the best we have (that I know of), and it is sufficient for the very broad point I was making. I certainly would not use it to compare individual rankings, but it's reasonable to use for making very broad observations.

Quote:
You cannot use rates of police corruption in other countries as a benchmark because they do not have the same beliefs we do. You cannot use our standards of police corruption in other countries, because they do not have the same beliefs we do. You absolutely, positively, cannot use third-party judgements of corruptions, because those people do not have the same beliefs as the culture they are judging. If you want to conduct a scientific study of this subject, you need approach it from a perspective of description rather than prescription. This means accepting the fact that it's good when the Chinese massacre protesters, and bad when the Americans arrest some. This means abandoning the concept of moral absolutism. If you aren't doing this, you aren't being scientific... you're just name-dropping science. You really don't understand how the social sciences work.

What the hell are you talking about? It is completely reasonable to say that people of all cultures don't like it when they are taken advantage of by corrupt authority figures. This effects all person's safety, regardless of how well they conform to the culture's ideals. There will be differences, but in this case we are talking in terms so broad that they can be treated as a constant. Moral anything-ism is not relevant. We are simply describing how well a system (a police force) can accomplish a more or less universal goal (enforcing law with out abusing that authority on a personal level beyond the prescription of the law.) The example of protesters in China is not at all relevant because those policemen were acting entirely in accordance with the law. The nature of that law is an entirely a different matter, and much more strongly culturally dependent.

Quote:
You also don't understand how moral judgements work. I do not rationalize my values with science. Nobody with a clue does it. Know why? Because that's the road that leads to genocide and eugenics, and other similar efficient, sound engineering and good scientific decisions. The reason I am outraged is because I find police corruption and incompetence abhorrent, and if it happens once it is happening too often. This is the only standard against which I am prepared to measure the effectiveness of our police w.r.t. civil liberties, and by my standard we are failing. If you don't like it, you can **** off.

Oh good, so so you've decided to life your life around a bunch of rules haphazardly derived from a pseudo-Abrahamic culture rather then think of ways reasonably satisfy the inherent humans needs and desires you already had naturally built into you. And what is the result? You've managed to have standards so unreasonable that you are outraged at any possible implementation of a society. Great job.

I mean, I can agree that I don't at all like police corruption and incompetence, and I am angered by it on a case to case basis, just as I am saddened by the fact that people die in car accidents. However I am not outraged at the system, because it is not reasonable to expect ideal performance from a system, nor is it wise to shoot for ideal performance in most cases.

↑ Up to the top!