Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsJedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Editing Forum → Mods
Mods
2003-11-23, 7:03 AM #1
Is there anywhere a tutorial to make mods?
Or does any of u wanna help me and my friend in making a Co-op mod?
Thx for the ones who will help me
2003-11-23, 2:05 PM #2
What type of mod? Level or game changes?

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
---@%
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2003-11-24, 9:30 AM #3
(thx for answering echoman)
A game change , I wanna Make a co-operative mod , where Players fight Enemies (NPC's)
Players will only be able to use Lightsaber
And won't be able to damage eachother
basicly they fight together to defeat NPC's =)
But I need alot of help with it
2003-11-24, 9:38 AM #4
(sorry for double posting )

Also Echoman , if ur a great modder , i could really need u in Making this mod [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]
2003-11-24, 9:53 AM #5
Well, it seems that all your stuff can be wrapped up in a nice .pk3 file

Here is a tool:

http://www.effiles.com/file.info?ID=1327

(this site is for Elite Force but the program remains the same)

Check it out.

------------------
---@%
2003-11-24, 12:26 PM #6
First of all, your talking about making a Mod (i.e. like Movie Battles) right not a map or level. If you are, I have some basic experience making mods and I'd be willing to help you work out the code if you make it yourself.
Free your mind, use Open Source.
2003-11-25, 5:41 AM #7
(ty both) i got 3 Questions to both of u
1) To remove weapons do i delete the code of the gunz (but not of the lightsaber)??
2) How do I make JKII know that the Mod PK3 file is a mod??
3) Is it even possible to make a co-operative mod?? ( i hope so)
2003-11-25, 8:40 AM #8
For the mod, you put a folder for your mod in the base file.

ex: base/echomanissexymod

Yes co-op is possible. But I would wait for the JA SDK first to do scripting. You see, if you going to have enemies now, sometimes they will act "stupid" and don't know what to do.

------------------
---@%
2003-11-25, 8:53 AM #9
Some questions for you (AlieNiZeD).
1. What game do you want to make the mod for? JO or JA?
2. Do you want to completely remove a weapon from the game? And why can't you just use the server command g_weapondisable?
3. Your intent is to make a Multiplayer mod right??

Except for the cooperative part. I think you can do everything else without touching the source code. Can't you just use bots for NPC'S and change or add the models you want. Also can't you just turn Friendly Fire off to make sure you can't damage each other, and make uneven FFA teams?
2003-11-25, 9:00 AM #10
Bots are different than NPCs. You don't see a rancor bot or something like that. Bots have different behavior than NPCs (and you can customized the NPCs too).

------------------
---@%
2003-11-25, 9:35 AM #11
In JA, you can play SP maps in MP mostly, some entities aren't recognized though.

------------------
Map-Review | Digital Core | The Matrix: Unplugged
2003-11-28, 4:51 AM #12
@Freyr :Making Jedi Outcast Multiplayer Mod
@ Echoman :i want to use Npc's if possible for MP

I just want every Online player to play co-operative
And i need some modders [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]
2003-11-28, 8:01 AM #13
You can spawn NPCs with the map editor. But some of them have attention problems (like stormtroopers, howlers, and sand_creature) while some work fine (like rancors).

Just don't expect them to be active in MP as in SP (yet).

------------------
---@%
2003-11-28, 9:28 AM #14
And if you're making this for JO (Which you're claiming); It's doomed to fail. Eve Raven didn't get it to work perfectly fine.

------------------
Map-Review | Digital Core | The Matrix: Unplugged
2003-11-28, 12:46 PM #15
OK, I think I get where you're going with this mod now. You want to have a team of Humans on a multiplayer server fighting a large group of NPC's who all fight cooperativly.

That would be tough. I'm not saying it can't be done but it would require massive rewrites of ai and bot code. Removing the weapons weapons and writing the code so that you won't damage other humans could be done very easily though.

Someone did something similar to what your saying but with only 2 bots... check it out.

http://www.jk2files.com/file.info?ID=3648

Now that the JA MP source code is released it might shed some light on "smarter" bots.

Finally, how good are you at coding, any language?
2003-11-29, 5:19 AM #16
Im not that good coder , im pretty good at mapping and skinning though =)
(thx for ur help)
Are u by any chance a modder?
If u are , can u help me?
2003-11-30, 6:53 AM #17
I am in fact a coder not a excellent coder, but I will help you. Although I can't script the UI (yet) so that means anything that we make (hopefully) will have to be accesed through console commands and not a fancy interface as seen in ForceMod. I hope thats OK. You can go see if any of the gods of JO coding ( http://www.jediknight.net )will help you make a full mod I am doubtful of it. In your next reply please tell me FULLY what you plan.

By the way do you want NPC's to respawn or humans just destroy them until there are none?
2003-11-30, 11:25 AM #18
And why do you need coding? You can get a simple ai thru the editor.

You can do this stuff thru scripting.

(edit: Oops. This is for JO. Good luck [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
---@%

[This message has been edited by Echoman (edited November 30, 2003).]
2003-11-30, 1:37 PM #19
Gee, thanks for the encouraging last phrase there. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif] Some of us still mod for JO.
2003-11-30, 9:11 PM #20
Whoa.. slow down *grabs pen and writes*

I still havent got any idea on either personally.. even though I'd like to be able to create a mod for Jedi Academy.

I can say how ever that I have quite a few plans for it, the problem is again, I dont know anything about modding for the game.. infact.. any game heh
2003-11-30, 9:19 PM #21
Whoa.. *gets a pen to write all this down* so.. in ur opinion is it easy to create an entirely new/total converted single player/multiplayer mod? I mean, I havent had well any experience what so ever and I'm curious and looking at creating a new mod or three with an entirely different story line. Star wars based of course.. not only that but were are looking at creating 3d generate cut scenes.. anyone give me some ideas/help (help with the mod would be better) =oP

Ta
2003-12-01, 8:45 AM #22
Well, this thread is about a co-op mod for JO.

------------------
---@%
2003-12-01, 8:52 AM #23
OK, your thread should be posted in a new topic do that and I'll answer all your questions about making mods and where to get resources. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]
2003-12-01, 8:55 AM #24
Alienized, I finally got to writing some code for the co-op mod. I'm going to add a new code similar to the jedi vs. merc code to add handle all the weapon handeling and respawing. Hopefully I'll get all the easy stuff out of the way before handeling the AI code.
2003-12-02, 1:55 AM #25
umm yes.. hehe sorry aboutthe double postings lol its been a while [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]
2003-12-02, 7:14 AM #26
(thx for helping all )
Sry for replying late..

I wanna create a Mod , where in maps NPC's will die and not respawn
Also i want 3 saber weapons ( the default one is 1) , a double bladed saber , and a saber in each hand.
Also I want to know if its able to auto switch map on the end of a MP map

Thx for ur help hehe

Add me on msn Slammingalien2@hotmail.com if u have more questions about what i want to make
Also id like some of u to go in my staff [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]
2003-12-02, 9:13 AM #27
A double saber, a saber staff can be brought over to JO from JA. You need to find all the code, models, animation, etc. (or make them yourself)

I'm making my own mod so I can't really join. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
---@%
2003-12-03, 1:06 AM #28
It's possible to get sabers from JA?
If yes can u send me the files of the saber and the source code?

[This message has been edited by AlieNiZeD (edited December 03, 2003).]
2003-12-03, 9:20 AM #29
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Freyr:
Alienized, I finally got to writing some code for the co-op mod. I'm going to add a new code similar to the jedi vs. merc code to add handle all the weapon handeling and respawing. Hopefully I'll get all the easy stuff out of the way before handeling the AI code.</font>

Cool , I hope it'll go easy
I'm busy with the sabers and skins for the co-op mod ( i'm not sure if i'm putting in new skins),The maps will be like as if ur watching Starwars , Jedi vs Sith , only no'one controls the sith in this mod, also do u want to join co-op mod staff

[This message has been edited by AlieNiZeD (edited December 03, 2003).]
2003-12-03, 9:42 AM #30
OK, I though you and me were the only ones on the co-op mod staff. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif] But sure I'll join. I'll try my best on the mod, but this is my first official mod. Some more questions for my code...

1. How many NPC's do you want to spawn on a single map? 10? 20? 1 for every player? variable?

2. What weapons does each side have? Besides the sabers.

3. Do you want the "Sith" side to only use dark force powers and vise-versa?

If your are a decent skinner and mapper as I am a coder we should have a pretty decent mod out. Right now I'm sorting through all the JA source code importing features to JO(like sabers).
2003-12-03, 9:45 AM #31
OK, here is the basic saber code from JA, I don't know what you'll do with it, if you don't code C++ but you asked for it. Basically this just renders the saber model.

Code:
	if (s1->weapon == WP_SABER)
	{
		if ((cent->currentState.modelindex != cent->serverSaberHitIndex || !cent->ghoul2) && !(s1->eFlags & EF_NODRAW))
		{ //no g2, or server changed the model we are using
			const char *saberModel = CG_ConfigString( CS_MODELS+cent->currentState.modelindex );

cent->serverSaberHitIndex = cent->currentState.modelindex;

if (cent->ghoul2)
			{ //clean if we already have one (because server changed model string index)
				trap_G2API_CleanGhoul2Models(&(cent->ghoul2));
				cent->ghoul2 = 0;
			}

if (saberModel && saberModel[0])
			{
				trap_G2API_InitGhoul2Model(¢->ghoul2, saberModel, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);
			}
			else
			{
				trap_G2API_InitGhoul2Model(¢->ghoul2, "models/weapons2/saber/saber_w.glm", 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);
			}
			return;
		}
		else if (s1->eFlags & EF_NODRAW)
		{
			return;
		}
	}
2003-12-04, 1:04 AM #32
Quote:
OK, I though you and me were the only ones on the co-op mod staff. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif] But sure I'll join. I'll try my best on the mod, but this is my first official mod. Some more questions for my code...

1. How many NPC's do you want to spawn on a single map? 10? 20? 1 for every player? variable?

2. What weapons does each side have? Besides the sabers.

3. Do you want the "Sith" side to only use dark force powers and vise-versa?

If your are a decent skinner and mapper as I am a coder we should have a pretty decent mod out. Right now I'm sorting through all the JA source code importing features to JO(like sabers).
</font>

thx for joining [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]
I'll be making the mod site , so peopple can see where we're standing allready

1) Don't know for sure , because there are gonna be big maps and small maps
2)The Players will only have sabers , If the players kill a storm trooper , then they can pick the enemies weapon up
Weapons for NPC :
- Stormtrooper : blaster & bowcaster
- Sith's : They got Doubled Bladed saber and a regular saber
The Other NPC's will use blaster , bowcasters or maybe there fist
(it would be boring with stormtrooper and sith only)
3) Players will only be able to use Light side
Sith's Dark Side

4) I'm better at mapping than skinning
- I'm busy making a map for The Co-Op Mod
I'll send it to you when it's done
It won't include NPC's in it yet

(my questions)
1) If we add the NPC entity from SP_entities.def to MP_entities.def
Then maybe NPC would appear in radiant for MP?
2) How much maps do u think we need (1 or 2 maps would be boring ,maybe 10 to 20 maps ), I can spend my time on maps first
3) When the players complete the first Co-OP map , I want the mod auto - load the second Co-Op map
4) maybe we should discuss this through a messenger
2003-12-04, 1:07 AM #33
Quote:
OK, here is the basic saber code from JA, I don't know what you'll do with it, if you don't code C++ but you asked for it. Basically this just renders the saber model.

Code:
	if (s1->weapon == WP_SABER)
	{
		if ((cent->currentState.modelindex != cent->serverSaberHitIndex || !cent->ghoul2) && !(s1->eFlags & EF_NODRAW))
		{ //no g2, or server changed the model we are using
			const char *saberModel = CG_ConfigString( CS_MODELS+cent->currentState.modelindex );

cent->serverSaberHitIndex = cent->currentState.modelindex;

if (cent->ghoul2)
			{ //clean if we already have one (because server changed model string index)
				trap_G2API_CleanGhoul2Models(&(cent->ghoul2));
				cent->ghoul2 = 0;
			}

if (saberModel && saberModel[0])
			{
				trap_G2API_InitGhoul2Model(¢->ghoul2, saberModel, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);
			}
			else
			{
				trap_G2API_InitGhoul2Model(¢->ghoul2, "models/weapons2/saber/saber_w.glm", 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);
			}
			return;
		}
		else if (s1->eFlags & EF_NODRAW)
		{
			return;
		}
	}
[/b]</font>

Ok cool , I'm not sure what to do with it since im not a coder , maybe u should handle most of the coding , cuz i only know a little bit of it
2003-12-05, 8:53 AM #34
Alienized, If you want to contact me, do so at ageofthejedi@hotmail.com. I really don't like MSN mess so just use email.
2003-12-05, 11:37 PM #35
Ok freyr

I have almost finished the first co-op map, i did it with sp entities so i can add NPC , then ill compile it with mp entities
and see if npcs appear
2003-12-06, 1:27 AM #36
They won't I've already tried. The people at raven didn't want NPC's being spawned in a mp map. And theres nothing in the code that I can do for that. It's hardwired into the game engine. I was thinking however of making bots use the same AI as NPCS so therefore they would work together and not respawn. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif] So essentially they would be NPC's except you could skin them and customize their personality.

Other questions:

What time zone are you in because all of your posts are in my middle of the night?

Can you post some screenshots of your level? I'd love to see it. I'll be posting some mod screenshots soon.
2003-12-06, 2:28 AM #37
I don't know anything about the AI in JO mp, but what about the portable assault gun thing? It seems to be AI.

------------------
---@%
2003-12-06, 3:29 AM #38
In a way the assault gun is AI but very limited, in simplest terms the code is like:

If I'm dropped rotate:
Then:
Find player:
If player is enemy:
Fire gun.

The bot AI code is way more complex. It's like 25 pages of what to do with a saber. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/eek.gif]
2003-12-06, 4:31 AM #39
I live in Belgium (europe)
Gmt + 1

Yeah i'll post screens soon , its almost finished

hmm also , is there a way to put bots command in Radiant?
That would be the easiest way

[This message has been edited by AlieNiZeD (edited December 06, 2003).]
2003-12-06, 9:39 AM #40
Sounds like were making some progress. I've decided to base the code off of JediMod 1.2 source. This would allow saberstaffs and dual sabers. I've figured out how to edit the bot AI to selectivly not attack a target so I'm working on detecting humans from bots. Once I do that they will fight together against humans. I've also added some completely new features. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

Also I live in Georgia on the East Coast of the US. GMT -5 hours.

[This message has been edited by Freyr (edited December 20, 2003).]

↑ Up to the top!