Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → They should have a death penalty for speeders
They should have a death penalty for speeders
2005-04-08, 12:13 PM #121
Quote:
Originally posted by Martyn

Also, for those who were demanding death to those going ten over, in the UK, you are actaully by law allowed to drive at the speed limit + 10% + 1mph.

For example, motorway speed = 70mph.

Allowed speed is therefore 70 + 7 + 1 = 78mph.

Which is ever so nearly 80 mph which is close to lynching speed on massassi. Woah.

While I agree with your other statements the above is false, by law you have to go at or below the speed limit. The rule you've just stated is a way the Police decide wether it's worth all the paper work.

For example.
80 in 70 zone = fine and points
90 in 70 zone = court case

While they do have to make so many arrests and warnings a year (for holidays and bonus's) ticketing everybody for speeding would consume too much time.

You do occasionally get pulled over for going 1mph over but this is rare.

If you think I'm wrong I can always get you contact numbers for the magestrates court :D
2005-04-08, 1:39 PM #122
I was told this by the DSA, and it's to do with variablity in speedometers. If I get flagged fro doing 75 on the motorway, I'm shafting the DSA for false information ;)

One over pull overs is probably in residential - your speedo simply isn't capable of being accurate to 1 mph at speeds of 70 mph.
2005-04-08, 1:58 PM #123
Quote:
Originally posted by Avenger
A turbo shouldn't affect the gas milage too negatiely. It injects more air to get a more efficient burn of the gas.

A turbo will SLAUGHTER your gas mileage. We all know that a turbo puts more air into the engine, but to handle that extra air the engine must use more gas. Too much air and not enough gas means detonation. Engine go boom.

The reason it doesn't affect your mileage much at low engine speeds is because the turbo usually isn't working at lower engine speeds. If you have a boost gauge (that is calibrated correctly) you will see that your engine is in vacuum at lower speeds and that the turbo goes into boost at a certain RPM, which usually causes a pretty noticeable kick.
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2005-04-08, 1:59 PM #124
Quote:
I was told this by the DSA, and it's to do with variablity in speedometers. If I get flagged fro doing 75 on the motorway, I'm shafting the DSA for false information ;)

One over pull overs is probably in residential - your speedo simply isn't capable of being accurate to 1 mph at speeds of 70 mph.

Good luck on shafting the DSA, unless you have that in writing you have no case :)
Little angel go away
Devil has my ear today
2005-04-08, 2:00 PM #125
Back home in the town of Waldo, they will pull you over if they even they think you're doing one over. It's so bad AAA has flagged the town to be avoided at all costs.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2005-04-08, 2:06 PM #126
Quote:

It's a proven fact that speedometers show that your going less than you are when your below 30-40 and more than you are when your going faster, so that don't reallt count. (some are better than others)

It's the Police who enforce the law not the DSA. So I'd go with what the Police say personally. I think they'ed laugh at you if you said the DSA said you could get away with it.
2005-04-08, 2:15 PM #127
Quote:
Originally posted by Yecti
I generally drive 30 to 40+ over the limit... I drive 80 through my residential neighborhood. Granted, I usually leave for work before there is any traffic and come home after it's all gone, but still. On the highways here the limit is 70... I usually drive 95 - 105. *shrug*

Yeah, because you have reaction times great enough for when a kid runs out from behind some cars.

Take more care.

Driving isn't all about you, it's about the people around you as well.

The child you could quite possibly turn into street pizza doesn't care if you're late, want to go faster, or want to beat traffic. Nor does anyone else in any of the cars you blow past.

Limits are there for a reason.
2005-04-08, 2:39 PM #128
Quote:
Originally posted by Crimson
Good luck on shafting the DSA, unless you have that in writing you have no case :)

I did read it somewhere - I don't make a habit of finding people from the DSA and having chats with them about speeding ;)

But anyways, I didn't make this stuff up, and if I got pulled over for doing one over I'd kick off (Not at the officer, that would oviously just get me in more trouble) - the courts are full to the brim with petty crime - and this literally would be a waste of the court's time.
2005-04-08, 2:40 PM #129
Is this a good time to bring up that my dad was caught going 100 on the m8 in a transit van?
nope.
2005-04-08, 2:46 PM #130
Quote:
I generally drive 30 to 40+ over the limit... I drive 80 through my residential neighborhood. Granted, I usually leave for work before there is any traffic and come home after it's all gone, but still. On the highways here the limit is 70... I usually drive 95 - 105. *shrug*

30 to 40 is a totally inexcusable infringement. You have to remember that when you double your speed, you quadruple your kinetic energy, and your stopping distance. A pedestrian getting hit at 30 has a good chance of surviving, getting hit at 40 or 50 they will die.
And it's all your fault.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2005-04-08, 2:55 PM #131
The Flatout demo has taught me that speeding will make me have an accident and send me through the windshield and into a tree at 800 mph.
2005-04-08, 2:57 PM #132
It also teaches you how cool it'd be to speed up a ramp and then crash into something, and fly through the windshield and see how high you get.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
2005-04-08, 3:02 PM #133
I've tried it. It's not as cool as they make it out to be.
2005-04-08, 4:02 PM #134
aw ;-(
2005-04-08, 4:22 PM #135
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob
Yeah, because you have reaction times great enough for when a kid runs out from behind some cars.

Take more care.

Driving isn't all about you, it's about the people around you as well.

The child you could quite possibly turn into street pizza doesn't care if you're late, want to go faster, or want to beat traffic. Nor does anyone else in any of the cars you blow past.

Limits are there for a reason.

you don't understand the severity of the hours in which I drive. The likelihood of my encountering ANYTHING is quite low. I generally leave for work before the sun comes up, and I get home well after it goes down. The joys of running a tech bench.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2005-04-08, 5:56 PM #136
Quote:
Originally posted by Yecti
you don't understand the severity of the hours in which I drive. The likelihood of my encountering ANYTHING is quite low. I generally leave for work before the sun comes up, and I get home well after it goes down. The joys of running a tech bench.

And thats a good excuse to drive that fast?

No.
2005-04-08, 8:32 PM #137
Quote:
Originally posted by LonelyDagger
I say get rid of tickets and quotas all together. You find someone going 10+ over the speed limit then you set them on death row. It's your own fault if you are impatient enough to speed.

Don't give the argument that a careful speeder is safer than a slower person not paying attention. The idea is a controlled situation where only one factor changes. A slow careful driver has more time to stop and evade than a quick careful driver.

I propose the death penalty, discuss.

That is an extremely stupid idea. You know why? Let's say a police officer caught you speeding. You wouldn't just give yourself up, knowing the penalty is death. You would fight for your life and try to hightail it south of the border. The streets would suddenly become much more dangerous. Also, the police fatality rate would skyrocket because of people shooting at police to defend themselves, knowing they will die if caught. Not only that, people would be afraid to drive at all, and the economy would grind to a halt.
Made you look
2005-04-08, 9:05 PM #138
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob
And thats a good excuse to drive that fast?

No.

You do realize your little kid scenario is null and void in this case? We're talking about a highway/interstate...not in-town.

So at the worst, you'd crash into a car if your car was out of control, or if they did something stupid, or if you did something stupid.
D E A T H
2005-04-08, 9:07 PM #139
Quote:
Originally posted by jesseg88
That is an extremely stupid idea. You know why? Let's say a police officer caught you speeding. You wouldn't just give yourself up, knowing the penalty is death. You would fight for your life and try to hightail it south of the border. The streets would suddenly become much more dangerous. Also, the police fatality rate would skyrocket because of people shooting at police to defend themselves, knowing they will die if caught. Not only that, people would be afraid to drive at all, and the economy would grind to a halt.

I think you are taking his post a bit too seriously.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-04-08, 9:17 PM #140
Quote:
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi
You do realize your little kid scenario is null and void in this case? We're talking about a highway/interstate...not in-town.

So at the worst, you'd crash into a car if your car was out of control, or if they did something stupid, or if you did something stupid.

That doesn't make it not stupid, reckless, and thoughtless.

Someone is going to end up getting hurt, bad.
2005-04-09, 1:56 AM #141
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob
That doesn't make it not stupid, reckless, and thoughtless.

Someone is going to end up getting hurt, bad.

You're overdramatizing the situation. Going 10-20 over the speed limit on the highway isn't bad. In fact, in some states, it's pretty much legal (fast lanes). Even in those states without fast lanes, there's pretty much an unwritten rule that one lane goes more quickly than the other, and usually it goes 5-10 and maybe even more over the speed limit.

Now I agree, speeding through residential areas is stupid. But on the highway...pay attention to the road, and really, there's nothing wrong with it.
D E A T H
2005-04-09, 5:21 AM #142
Quote:
Originally posted by Echoman
I think you are taking his post a bit too seriously.

Everyone else seems to be taking it seriously.
Made you look
2005-04-09, 8:39 AM #143
Quote:
A turbo will SLAUGHTER your gas mileage. We all know that a turbo puts more air into the engine, but to handle that extra air the engine must use more gas. Too much air and not enough gas means detonation. Engine go boom.

The reason it doesn't affect your mileage much at low engine speeds is because the turbo usually isn't working at lower engine speeds. If you have a boost gauge (that is calibrated correctly) you will see that your engine is in vacuum at lower speeds and that the turbo goes into boost at a certain RPM, which usually causes a pretty noticeable kick.

Tell that to Vortex on vvti.net -- he's running 12psi and getting about 30mpg..actually one more mile per gallon than he was getting n/a. Not bad for a 100hp difference.

If you're running WOT, that's a different story..but for everyday driving, it's not always a big difference.

Or..maybe Toyota just makes awesome engines. ;)
woot!
2005-04-09, 8:41 AM #144
Quote:
Originally posted by Darkjedibob
Back home in the town of Waldo, they will pull you over if they even they think you're doing one over. It's so bad AAA has flagged the town to be avoided at all costs.

You were from Waldo? I'm sorry.
:p

I hate driving through that place..I'm probably watching my speedometer almost as much as the road..
woot!
2005-04-09, 8:48 AM #145
Quote:
Originally posted by CadetLee
Tell that to Vortex on vvti.net -- he's running 12psi and getting about 30mpg..actually one more mile per gallon than he was getting n/a. Not bad for a 100hp difference.

If you're running WOT, that's a different story..but for everyday driving, it's not always a big difference.

Or..maybe Toyota just makes awesome engines. ;)

That's incredible! There are exceptions to every rule :) Like I said it depends on how much you're on the gas. At lower engine speeds you're not in boost so you're not using up the gas. But still, 30 mpg is crazy. Do you know what setup he's using?
Little angel go away
Devil has my ear today
2005-04-09, 8:57 AM #146
Quote:
You were from Waldo? I'm sorry.
:p

I hate driving through that place..I'm probably watching my speedometer almost as much as the road..

From G'ville, actually. We actually found an alternate route to I-10 that goes through Alachua towards Jax so we don't have to deal with it anymore :D
$do || ! $do ; try
2005-04-09, 9:01 AM #147
Quote:
That's incredible! There are exceptions to every rule :) Like I said it depends on how much you're on the gas. At lower engine speeds you're not in boost so you're not using up the gas. But still, 30 mpg is crazy. Do you know what setup he's using?

Intercooled turbo on a 1.8l 1ZZFE (Toyota Corolla..also Matrix / Celica GT / new MR2 engine)..estimated 220-240hp at 12psi. Greddy eManage with Profec e01 boost controller, 550cc injectors. I'm not sure what size turbo he's running, though.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/ltcolvortex <-- turbo pics on page 3. His '98 (pictured) was wrecked by a 15passenger Ford van (tboned his front left quarter at ~45mph)..he has the same turbo in a '99 now.

I'm toying with the idea of turbocharging my '86 MR2..but I'm not sure if I want to deal with all the work involved. :p

I'd also like to do a V6 swap (Avalon engine) into my Corolla...but it would be incredibly difficult, since nobody has done it before. Someone swapped one into a new MR2, though, and it was really complicated. Maybe some day..
woot!
2005-04-09, 9:03 AM #148
Quote:
Originally posted by Darkjedibob
From G'ville, actually. We actually found an alternate route to I-10 that goes through Alachua towards Jax so we don't have to deal with it anymore :D

Heh..I used to live in Gville..I'm about 20 miles north now, but I still work and go to school there..
woot!
2005-04-09, 10:17 AM #149
Quote:
You're overdramatizing the situation. Going 10-20 over the speed limit on the highway isn't bad. In fact, in some states, it's pretty much legal (fast lanes). Even in those states without fast lanes, there's pretty much an unwritten rule that one lane goes more quickly than the other, and usually it goes 5-10 and maybe even more over the speed limit.

Now I agree, speeding through residential areas is stupid. But on the highway...pay attention to the road, and really, there's nothing wrong with it.

Did you not read his post?

He's going 30 and 40 over the limit on the highway.

5-10 even 15 won't bother me... but that fast is just dumb and reckless.
2005-04-09, 10:21 AM #150
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob
Did you not read his post?

He's going 30 and 40 over the limit on the highway.

5-10 even 15 won't bother me... but that fast is just dumb and reckless.

Depends on where you live. In Kansas, before 7 in the morning, the highways are DEAD. Absolutely positively dead. If you see more than 10 cars in the passing of 50 miles, you're unusually lucky, or it's travelling season. Even during the day, it's usually very empty, or very roomy. He says he leaves before the crack of dawn...so I don't call it dangerous, at least not to anyone but himself.
D E A T H
2005-04-09, 10:36 AM #151
So according to that logic, Cocaine should be legal. Cause hey.. you're only hurting yourself!
2005-04-09, 10:39 AM #152
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob
So according to that logic, Cocaine should be legal. Cause hey.. you're only hurting yourself!

Bad analogy. Hell, cocaine would be legal if it wasn't addictive. But driving isn't addictive, and neither is speeding (vehicular speeding, at least :P)

All in all though, Cocaine's a helluva drug.
D E A T H
2005-04-09, 10:40 AM #153
He's not talking about legalising it, just ignoring the fact it's illegal :p
2005-04-09, 10:42 AM #154
Quote:
Hell, cocaine would be legal if it wasn't addictive.

Really?

So what about cigarettes and alcohol. They're both addictive.

Hell, cigarettes are WAY more addictive than cocaine. Ask anyone who's done both.
2005-04-09, 10:42 AM #155
Quote:
He's not talking about legalising it, just ignoring the fact it's illegal :p

But the thing is, there's one reason speed limits were established--to protect the people around you from getting hurt as a result of YOUR reckless driving. On an (mostly) empty road, what does it matter?
D E A T H
2005-04-09, 10:43 AM #156
Quote:
But the thing is, there's one reason speed limits were established--to protect the people around you from getting hurt as a result of YOUR reckless driving. On an (mostly) empty road, what does it matter?

They're there to protect YOU and OTHERS.
2005-04-09, 10:46 AM #157
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob
They're there to protect YOU and OTHERS.

Protect you...from yourself?

So in other words, you're saying we should stop making tobacco legal, because that's protecting YOU and OTHERS, stop making fatty foods legal, because that's protecting YOU....etc.

Your logic is flawed.
D E A T H
2005-04-09, 10:49 AM #158
Quote:
Protect you...from yourself?

So in other words, you're saying we should stop making tobacco legal, because that's protecting YOU and OTHERS, stop making fatty foods legal, because that's protecting YOU....etc.

Your logic is flawed.

According to your logic we should legalize heroin, cocaine, and suicide.

Laws != constant state of logic.

PS, fat people should be illegal.
2005-04-09, 11:32 AM #159
Quote:
Heh..I used to live in Gville..I'm about 20 miles north now, but I still work and go to school there..

School as in UF? I can't stand the orange and blue, the obsession is not healthy. Hence why I'm in NY for school :p
$do || ! $do ; try
2005-04-09, 11:40 AM #160
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob
PS, fat people should be illegal.

It'd never pass. Fat people are the majority now in the U.S. - we'd all vote against you, and then pass a measure making thin people illegal.

Wait. That's not good.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken

↑ Up to the top!