Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Christian debate on PBS on Gay Marraige
Christian debate on PBS on Gay Marraige
2004-07-20, 5:54 AM #201
S'ok Sarn - it's a biiiig thread! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

To be perfectly honest, I don't think I can quantify what I believe, obviously my perception of good and bad must have come from a lot of sources, primarily the law, my parents and the media, in no particular order. I appreciate my morals shift, but I reckon imperceptably. Murder all of a sudden won't become OK in my lifetime.

I think that 99% of your morals will probably co-incide with mine, it's just the ones that are Christian based, and conflict with my slightly liberal side that we will differ on. Day to day we would probably do the same things, show people the same amount of resepct, react to situations the same.

Oh, and that last point you reacted to from the post above was what I was thinking too. Despite floating somewhere between atheism and agnosticism, I know quite a bit about the church - I studied 16th Century Europe, and as you can imagine, the great Schism was one of the BIG topics, especially considering the reformation of England that happened a few decades later.

Oh yeah, to Bounty Hunter, does your loyalty to the Catholic church mean you're condemming most of (Anglican) England to the firey depths?

[EDIT: I got the 200th Post - w00tl3s!]

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.

[This message has been edited by Martyn (edited July 20, 2004).]
2004-07-20, 6:53 AM #202
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Martyn:
I firmly belive that ordinary people are capable of completely selfless acts - instinctive actions, and premeditated actions.</font>
I believe that too, but I don't think anyone is capable of completely selfless acts all the time, which is what I think Obi was trying to say.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bounty Hunter 4 Hire:
You misunderstand what the word "catholic" means. It describes the Church, catholic meaning "universal."</font>
Regardless of it's meaning, it's still denominational, yes?
I wasn't being exclusive to Catholicism; it was just the first example that came to mind. I could've probably pointed out flaws in the KJV, but that wasn't what we were talking about (nor is it a denomination).
I'd personally rather [better] learn the original languages of the Bible and study it that way, because the meaning of it goes way farther than the English translations do. Lots of meaning is lost in translating it. For example (since it relates a bit to this) take Peter setting up the church. In Greek, his name is Petros, meaning (if I remember correctly) a small stone. It is, of course, the masculine form. The word translated into rock is the Greek word Petra (feminine form) and it means something like "a collection of stones 'knitted' together as one". (For those reading that don't know, the verse in English says "And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it." "Rock" is used as a comparison to a solid foundation.) (There's some more info on this here, but he didn't give the full definition of 'petra'. I think they guy who wrote it is Catholic, since he uses 'we' a lot in regards to talking about Catholicism.)
Anyway; as you can see, meaning gets lost completely when translating to English. (Truly, there's no such thing as a word-for-word translation; not just with the Bible, but in general.) And now, I've completely forgotten where I was going with this. :-/ *sigh*

------------------
For a healty meal, eat mashed potatoes, peas, and catloaf.
"Massassi's cuttin' into my free time, man."

Valuable Life Lesson: Frog + Potato Gun = Blindness

[This message has been edited by DogSRoOL (edited July 20, 2004).]
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-07-20, 7:33 AM #203
See that's the thing Dogs, I don't think he was, I reckon he just thinks that everything an atheist does is selfish - and that they were incapable of what I was saying!

I'm glad you get it though! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
2004-07-20, 8:26 AM #204
All right Sarn! Justification by faith alone! Yeah! Glad to see a Christian at Massassi!

People keep confusing what I'm saying. I’m putting forth things that are consistent for atheists to do, not what they actually do. Many of them are inconsistent. Most of them are, in fact. And that is good, cause this world could be a problem to live in if they were consistent.

No one has come up with a reason for an atheist to keep morals. They have only come up with examples of atheists who do keep morals inconsistently.

[This message has been edited by Obi_Kwiet (edited July 20, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Obi_Kwiet (edited July 20, 2004).]
2004-07-20, 8:32 AM #205
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Emon:
My dog is very compassionate and caring, and somehow I doubt she is at all aware of any higher being.</font>

Actually, your dog is under the impression that /you/ are God [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
[Blue Mink Bifocals !] [fsck -Rf /world/usr/] [<!-- kalimonster -->] [Capite Terram]
"That's why we had to beat you with tennis rackets".
NPC.Interact::PressButton($'Submit');
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2004-07-20, 9:07 AM #206
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Sarn_Cadrill:
Ironic, coming from someone defending Catholicism...</font>
Elaborate.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Martyn:
Oh yeah, to Bounty Hunter, does your loyalty to the Catholic church mean you're condemming most of (Anglican) England to the firey depths?</font>
There was a time where I despised Protestantism greatly, and Anglicanism most of all, but that may have been Irish ethnic pride at work.

It seems to me, now, that is someone is not against you, than you shouldn't be against them; we both profess belief in Christ. The Samaritans had different beliefs than the rest of the Jews and were stigmatized because of it, yet one of them helped the ambushed man in Jesus' parable, while others passed him by.

However, I believe the Church to be entirely correct in it's teachings, and thus, obviously, everyone else to be incorrect. That doesn't make any of it's followers bad people or condemned outright. Your assuming too much.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Regardless of it's meaning, it's still denominational, yes?</font>
It is called a "Catholic Bible" because it contains the canon that the Catholic Church as a whole determined to be divinely inspired through the magisterium of the Church.

Yes, you could call it "denominational," but it is fair to call it "Catholic," because it is wholy different from a Protestant Bible, both in terms of extended content and the accompanying notes.

As for the site, the man denies the supremacy of the Pope, and is thus not a Catholic. If you put yourself at odds with the teachings of the Church -deny them- how are you still in union with the Church -whose main mission is to spread the truth?

The teaching authority of the Church is in all the Bishops of the world together. That includes the Bishop of Rome, but the diocese of Rome was established by Peter, who was not only refered to as the "rock," but was the only apostle specifically granted the Keys to the Kingdom, it was implied to the rest. The Pope's supremacy is only that his diocese is the rule of faith. he's still a bishop, but his official teaching on faith and morals is infallible, since his dioces is what keeps the church teaching uniform.

The rocks knit together would be the Bishops, but the Bishop of Rome keeps them together, as specifically promised by Christ: the head.

If each bishop could go his own way, what would we have? Ever hear of a little thing called heresy? A great example would be the Bishop Arius. He couldn't understand the Mystery of the Incarnation, and so he crafted a way that he could understand: Jesus wasn't God, he was just the greatest human ever created, a kind of super man. Now if this was so, how was the sin of all mankind conquered? Sure he was a man, capable of being a sacrafice for man, but he was just a man. However powerful he was, his death would have meant nothing, since he was not God. It also butchers the trinity. the Church as a whole, in union with the Pope, said Arius was wrong, and his teaching was not true.

If you're one of those who think the Papacy never existed until the fall of the Roman Empire, tell me. I know of numerous instances and documents which refute this lie.

------------------
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2004-07-20, 9:24 AM #207
Bounty, I'm not criticising or judging, just curious! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
2004-07-20, 9:38 AM #208
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bounty Hunter 4 hire:
It is called a "Catholic Bible" because it contains the canon that the Catholic Church as a whole determined to be divinely inspired through the magisterium of the Church.</font>
So how is it that other non-Catholic churches are not divinely inspired?
My church came into existance because of a break off from a legalistic Methodist church that refused to accept the gifts of God (speaking in tongues and such) and for some reason was against expressions of worship (like dancing) to God. These are *not* things condemned by the Bible. Wouldn't that technically constitute as divinely inspired?

I don't believe *any* church to be infallible, including my own. People are fallible, the church is composed of people, so it, too, is fallible. You can't put a bunch of bad parts together and create something completely functional, yes? I think this logic speaks for itself.
Revelation reveals that the church (aka the "bride") will not become perfect until near the times when Christ is to return.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Yes, you could call it "denominational," but it is fair to call it "Catholic," because it is wholy different from a Protestant Bible, both in terms of extended content and the accompanying notes.</font>
Define "protestant Bible." I've never heard of such a thing.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The Pope's supremacy is only that his diocese is the rule of faith. he's still a bishop, but his official teaching on faith and morals is infallible, since his dioces is what keeps the church teaching uniform.</font>
Haven't there been popes in the past who were fallible in these matters? I could point out an example, if you don't view it as condemning the Catholic Church.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The rocks knit together would be the Bishops, but the Bishop of Rome keeps them together, as specifically promised by Christ: the head.</font>
It goes deeper than that, I'm afraid. Each rock represents a member of the body of Christ; collectively, they forming one whole. The use of the feminie form petra coincides with the church being the Bride of Christ. And I'm sure there's much more about it that I don't know. But it still sucks that we loose all that meaning when we translate to English. There's this whole understanding of hell that gets lost in translation, too. It makes the need for multiple translations of the Bible abundantly clear. And even then, the full meaning isn't there.

------------------

Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-07-20, 12:01 PM #209
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
EDIT post v. 2.0 I forgot to proofread. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/redface.gif]

Of course people are empathetic. That's because there is a God.

</font>

Empathy is part of your brain! YOUR BRAIN!

------------------
"Look at me! I'm Tracer! BLAHBLAHBLAH!"

-MBeggar
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-07-20, 1:11 PM #210
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tracer:
Empathy is part of your brain! YOUR BRAIN!</font>

If one allows for a pre-extant creator being who created that brain with that nature, there is no contradiction.
[/devil's advocate]

------------------
[Blue Mink Bifocals !] [fsck -Rf /world/usr/] [<!-- kalimonster -->] [Capite Terram]
2004-07-20, 1:48 PM #211
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:

No one has come up with a reason for an atheist to keep morals.
</font>

Well, There are reasons for an Atheist to be (and keep) morals

an example,

Humans are social animals, and to be successful they must co-operate with each other.

this means

An atheist would have to keep morals(/laws) because if not for anything esle, for purely the purposes of self-preservation.

But even more so then that,atheist or not

I think most people have empathy for other people, then guilt because of it if they do some thing wrong.

I would like to think that would be enough keep most people from doing something bad.

Hope that makes sence, I'm very bad at trying to git a point across.
2004-07-20, 3:10 PM #212
Six pages and no flames. Impressive!

------------------

Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-07-20, 3:28 PM #213
No, I think all six pages are just one big flame.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-07-20, 4:00 PM #214
Ok. Six pages on a religious topic and no bans.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2004-07-20, 4:12 PM #215
You just jinxed it.

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-07-20, 5:43 PM #216
Martyn:
Sorry.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">DogSRoOL:
So how is it that other non-Catholic churches are not divinely inspired?</font>
If a God revealed the truth to man and formed a Church to spread, and to protect that truth, why would he inspire one to turn away from it?

I understand you believe the truth to be different from my perception of it, but from my point of view if I believe my beliefs to be right, the idea that others are wrong in some way goes along with it.

Perhaps a protestant church that splits could be inspired in some way in hopes of eventually reunifying it with the truth, but otherwise, in my belief, I doubt that would happen.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I don't believe *any* church to be infallible, including my own. People are fallible, the church is composed of people, so it, too, is fallible.</font>
And Catholic teaching confirms that the Church will be imperfect until the day Christ brings all to order.

The Church as an institution can be wrong in the sense of action and inaction. Look at the Inquisition, the corruption -widespread and less so- present at many times, the failure to condemn what should be at time, and so on. Indeed the Church was entrusted to humans, who are all too fallible, but the Christ promised one thing would and could not be corrupted, and that was the truth he revealed to the Apostles. It would not be corrupted because of the "Paraclete," the "Spirit of Truth," who would lead them to truth, "and remind you of all that I taught." There is a verses in the Catechism regarding this I've looked up and to point your way.

Even a Pope can be a bad man, and say and do thing contrary to the truth, but when he makes a statement ex officio (by the power of his office) it is infallible. A Pope hhas only made such a statement two or three times in 2000 years, one of which was to reaffirm the teaching that the Official teaching of the Pope is infallible.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Define "protestant Bible." I've never heard of such a thing. </font>
I was refering to the canon of most protestant sects. They often have a separate part labeled "Apocrypha."
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Haven't there been popes in the past who were fallible in these matters? I could point out an example</font>
Be my guest. But only two or three official teachings have been made by the papacy alone.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">It goes deeper than that, I'm afraid. Each rock represents a member of the body of Christ; collectively, they forming one whole.</font>
Well the Church isn't the bishop of Rome alone is what I'm saying. The college of bishops exercises the teaching authority of the church, and the Bishop of Rome presides. If his label "rock" doesn't grant him that authority, than I would think the specific granting of the Keys to the Kingdom, the Powers of Binding and Loosing, and the request to "Tend My sheep," and "Feed my lambs," would. I don't see why He would single out Peter anyway as a rock absolutely no different than the rest, and no one else.

And as for the idea of Atheist having no rule of right conduct, it's called simple human ethics.

------------------
2004-07-20, 6:31 PM #217
My take, in a somewhat disorganized and rambling fashion:

I'm not in favor of homosexual marriage. As a Christian, I admittedly find homosexuality distasteful, but I'm well aware that my personal views on its morality don't constitute a justification for banning homosexual marriages.

As I understand it, the benefits of government-recognized marriage are incentives to encourage population growth. Homosexual marriage will not help to grow the population, so there's no reason to offer these incentives to homosexual couples. Of course, with 300 million people living in America today, it's hard to see any real benefit to growing the population futher. Maybe the best solution, rather than to legalize homosexual marriage, is to stop giving government sanction to marriages of any kind.

Then again, we could just do something a friend of mine suggested, and allow gays to get married, but call it "garried" instead.

Anyway, regardless of my own opinions on homosexual marriage, I absolutely do not support the Republicans' "Marriage Amendment." Such an amendment would be a blatant misuse of the Constitution, and there's simply no justification for that.

------------------
"Why aren't I'm using at these pictures?" - Cloud, 4/14/02
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2004-07-20, 8:17 PM #218
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
No, I think all six pages are just one big flame.</font>
Right. Either you don't understand the meaning of the word 'flame' in this context, or you get offended *really* easily. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bounty Hunter 4 Hire:
If a God revealed the truth to man and formed a Church to spread, and to protect that truth, why would he inspire one to turn away from it?</font>
That goes back to what I said about the church being composed of fallible people.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">And Catholic teaching confirms that the Church will be imperfect until the day Christ brings all to order.</font>
Didn't you say you believed the church as a whole was infallible? Or did I misunderstand?
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Even a Pope can be a bad man, and say and do thing contrary to the truth, but when he makes a statement ex officio (by the power of his office) it is infallible.</font>
I don't understand why. He is the same man with the same views whether he's ex officio or not.
This reminds me of something my pastor preached (not about anything Catholic) about trying to look 'holy' in church but being different when we're outside of it.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I was refering to the canon of most protestant sects. They often have a separate part labeled "Apocrypha."</font>
*shrug*
I wouldn't know. I know there's a lot of denominations with doctrines in conflict with the Bible. Those little 'guide books' kind of annoy me.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I don't see why He would single out Peter anyway as a rock absolutely no different than the rest, and no one else.</font>
He didn't, really. See; Peter in Greek mean 'rock'. Petra is a collection of rocks. I would assume it includes Peter.
Also, pay careful attention to the verse: "And I tell you, you are Peter, and on[/i] this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it."
The phrase "on this rock" (petra) is important, too. It would seem to have several possible meanings, which I'd probably have to study in Greek to truly learn. I was going to explain what I thought it meant, but it was just too darn confusing in English, when we have only one form of the word "rock".
The English language sucks. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

Also, I'm curious of the ex officio thing. I was under the impression that the pope was believed to be infallible under all matters of faith, not just when making statements.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane:
Then again, we could just do something a friend of mine suggested, and allow gays to get married, but call it "garried" instead.</font>
YES!!!![/i] [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------

Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-07-20, 8:36 PM #219
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FastGamerr:
[http://www.saltonseainfo.com/images/flyingpelican.gif]

[http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/karhu1/sarjis/sarjis8/matlock.gif]

</font>

------------------
<landfish> FastGamerr > Satan
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-07-20, 9:08 PM #220
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">DogSRoOL:
Didn't you say you believed the church as a whole was infallible? Or did I misunderstand?</font>
Only when teaching on matters of faith and morals. Like the conclusion of a unanimous council in union with the Pope. There are a number of Saints who may never have existed, yet the Church declared them such regardless. Fallible people can believe the exagerated testimony of other fallible witnesses, but that is entirely different from the teaching Christ, Himself, told the Apostles and ordered to spread to all the nations. It is infallible because Christ assured the protection of the Holy Spirit.

If the Church as a whole officially says it (not just some bishop, a group of bishop's, or even the Pope's opinion), it won't conflict with teaching. Papal encyclicals usually only restate teachings fitting a current event, and councils clarify them, they don't create them.

Another example would be now, where many in America feel the priests have been to quiet regarding the preaching of Church teaching regarding sexuality, contraception, and the reception of the Eucharist while under Mortal Sin, for fear of hurting or alienating people. This is a mistake because the priest compromises his duty to reveal the Truth -which alone can bring happiness- for the sake of not momentarily hurting another's pride.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I don't understand why. He is the same man with the same views whether he's ex officio or not.</font>
Because he is a human with free will. Christ didn't promise to protect the Pope, he promised to protect the Word of God that the ofice of the papacy was given the job to protect.

Pope Clement VII, for example was a weak Pope by almost all accounts. He was the Pope at the time of King Henry VIII's divorce of Catherine. He was under pressure from all sides, from England, Catherine's nephew the Holy Roman Emperor, all he had to do was declare his original dispensation void and Henry would have been fine. He stalled, stalled, and stalled, but when backed in to the corner he held out regardless. A Catholic would say this was because of the Holy Spirit's guidance. A stronger Pope could have saved face, and lessened the blow to the honor of Rome's authority, but with the Holy Spirit, Clement avoided the boundary he couldn't cross as the occupant of the office of Pope.

Christ is God the Father's self-image, how He would describe Himself: perfect and exactly the same, and thus the same, while separate. Christ is the revealed Truth, taken Flesh; "the Word" John spoke of in his Gospel's opening. The Love of the Father for the Son is the Holy Spirit. The Love and the Truth are one and the same; the basis of the Truth is Love, and so God the Father is again reflected: the same, yet separate.

The Love of the Father for the Word is what protects the Word; the Holy Spirit.

Jesus gave himself to us not only in his eternal Sacrifice, but in the Truth that Sacrifice reflects. When you act on the Truth He is in you, and you in Him. Nothing could be more important to the plan for salvation than the proper transference of the revealed Truth through time. Surely a God wouldn't screw it up.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The English language sucks.</font>
I understand, Greek is far more verbose, and really gets a point across.

Basically the Papacy is an office, just as a Bishop is. The Bishop of Rome's supremacy comes in to play only during a matter of clarification of teaching. At this moment where the Church needs to clarify, it is so because the Church has reached a point where the Truth, for one reason or another, must be re-revealed to someone. ie: the incarnation, trinity, etc. with the Council of Nicea to the Arians, other heretics, and the faithful in general. At this point the Truth can not be corrupted for the sake of the mission to spread the Word of Salvation to all, everywhere, at every time. At this point where it must be right, Christ promised the Paraclete would act (Jn 16:5-15).

------------------

[This message has been edited by Bounty Hunter 4 hire (edited July 21, 2004).]
2004-07-21, 12:06 AM #221
Utter and eternal infallability of the Church/Pope, as instituted in 1075 by Pope Gregory VII along with a number of other absolutely mindbogglingly pervasive and arrogant rulings, was in fact to my knowledge finally revoked by Pope John Paul II in 1999. Perhaps your local branch just hasn't gotten the memo yet [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
2004-07-21, 4:33 AM #222
Well, this thread has certinally meanderd off topic. From PBS debate on Gay marrige, to some thing about the Cathloic church... It's hard to tell.
2004-07-21, 5:59 AM #223
Gee, I wonder how that happened. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/confused.gif]

------------------
Map-Review | My Portfolio | The Matrix: Unplugged

Banks and banks of humming machinery! I've never seen so many knobs. We're going to have to do something, Charlie! Try pushing that button there. No? How about that one? No, not that one either. I know! I'll try pushing this one. Hold my hat will you? Good fellow.

[This message has been edited by Thrawn42689 (edited July 21, 2004).]
2004-07-21, 6:01 AM #224
Just dance with Matlock.

------------------
<landfish> FastGamerr > Satan
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-07-21, 6:16 AM #225
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dormouse:
Utter and eternal infallability of the Church/Pope, as instituted in 1075 by Pope Gregory VII along with a number of other absolutely mindbogglingly pervasive and arrogant rulings, was in fact to my knowledge finally revoked by Pope John Paul II in 1999. Perhaps your local branch just hasn't gotten the memo yet [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

</font>
Perhaps some of the wording and specifics (kissing feet, etc.) were dropped, but the doctrine of Papal infallibility would never be. And I have books published more recently than 1999 which still affirm it. And believe me, if the Church ever admitted that, you would know, the media would never let anyone forget.

If the Roman diocese could make a mistake on matters of the deliverance of the Truth, than the Church as a whole would have no touchstone to hold it in place. As I've stated, I don't believe that to be theologically possible, considering the necessity of the Truth, and the unbreakable promise of God to protect it. There also isn't a single teaching of the Church that I can't see the reasoning behind.

As for the topic being off-hand, I planned to sit this one out but noticed several comments I felt the need to respond to. The first two statements I could let go.

------------------
2004-07-21, 12:25 PM #226
I stand corrected.

I was thinking of a speech the pope gave in 2000 where he declared the year a year of repentence for atrocities [ie those committed by allowed by or assisted by the Catholic Church:

" ...a time for an examination of conscience' by the Church in preparation for the coming millennium The problem of the Inquisition belongs to a tormented phase in the history of the Church, which I have invited Christians to examine in a spirit of sincerity and open-mindedness (historians) are not being asked to make an ethical judgement- which is beyond their competence... (the Inquisition is) another painful chapter to which the children of the Church must return in a spirit of repentance over the acquiescence... to the methods of intolerance even in violence in service to the truth."

Unfortunately, i can't find a copy of the original transcript, just various excerpts, notably that one.

However, to make certain that was not seen as an admission of Papal/Church fallibility, the pope's household theologian Gorges Cottier quickly clarified it with:

"It is critical to preserve a proper understanding of the distinction between the Church, which is holy, and her children, who are sinners. The Church herself need not ask for forgiveness; rather the Church asks forgiveness for her wayward children ..."

Meh. It was worth hoping i guess, though how they can claim infallibity given their history is astounding. I could dig up lots of things, but this is a good start:
http://www.geocities.com/paulntobin/infallible.html

------------------
2004-07-21, 5:50 PM #227
I had a lengthy response, but toward the end of the writing, I came across a single page which explains the doctrine of Papal infallibility in it's entirety, and oddly enough at one point has a refutation of all your site's historical claims in detail, and one your site didn't mention.

I do appreciate the length of your site's argument, it is far easier on the eyes and the patience than the one I've provided, so I'll single out the part dealing with the historical...
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">OBJECTIONS ALLEGED

The only noteworthy objections against papal infallibility, as distinct from the infallibility of the Church at large, are based on certain historical instances in which it is alleged that certain popes in the ex cathedra exercise of their office have actually taught heresy and condemned as heretical what has afterwards turned out to be true. The chief instances usually appealed to are those of Popes Liberius, Honorius, and Vigilius in the early centuries, and the Galileo affair at the beginning of the seventeenth century.

Pope Liberius. Liberius, it is alleged, subscribed an Arian or Semi-Arian creed drawn up by the Council of Sirmium and anathematized St. Athanasius, the great champion of Nicaea, as a heretic. But even if this were an accurate statement of historical fact, it is a very inadequate statement. The all-important circumstance should be added that the pope so acted under pressure of a very cruel coercion, which at once deprives his action of any claim to be considered ex cathedra, and that he himself, as soon as he had recovered his liberty, made amends for the moral weakness he had been guilty of. This is a quite satisfactory answer to the objection, but it ought to be added that there is no evidence whatever that Liberius ever anathematized St. Athanasius expressly as a heretic, and that it remains a moot point which of three or four Sirmian creeds he subscribed, two of which contained no positive assertion of heretical doctrine and were defective merely for the negative reason that they failed to insist on the full definition of Nicaea.

Pope Honorius. The charge against Pope Honorius is a double one: that, when appealed to in the Monothelite controversy, he actually taught the Monothelite heresy in his two letters to Sergius; and that he was condemned as a heretic by the Sixth Ecumenical Council, the decrees of which were approved by Leo II. But in the first place it is quite clear from the tone and terms of these letters that, so far from intending to give any final, or ex cathedra, decision on the doctrinal question at issue, Honorius merely tried to allay the rising bitterness of the controversy by securing silence. In the next place, taking the letters as they stand, the very most that can be clearly and incontrovertibly deduced from them is, that Honorius was not a profound or acute theologian, and that he allowed himself to be confused and misled by the wily Sergius as to what the issue really was and too readily accepted the latter's misrepresentation of his opponents' position, to the effect that the assertion of two wills in Christ meant two contrary or discordant wills. Finally, in reference to the condemnation of Honorius as a heretic, it is to be remembered that there is no ecumenical sentence affirming the fact either that Honorius's letters to Sergius contain heresy, or that they were intended to define the question with which they deal. The sentence passed by the fathers of the council has ecumenical value only in so far as it was approved by Leo II; but, in approving the condemnation of Honorius, his successor adds the very important qualification that he is condemned, not for the doctrinal reason that he taught heresy, but on the moral ground that he was wanting in the vigilance expected from him in his Apostolic office and thereby allowed a heresy to make headway which he should have crushed in its beginnings.

Pope Vigilius. There is still less reason for trying to found an objection to papal infallibility on the wavering conduct of Pope Vigilius in connection with the controversy of the Three Chapters; and it is all the more needless to delay upon this instance as most modern opponents of the papal claims no longer appeal to it.

Galileo. As to the Galileo affair, it is quite enough to point out the fact that the condemnation of the heliocentric theory was the work of a fallible tribunal. The pope cannot delegate the exercise of his infallible authority to the Roman Congregations, and whatever issues formally in the name of any of these, even when approved and confirmed in the ordinary official way by the pope, does not pretend to be ex cathedra and infallible. The pope, of course, can convert doctrinal decisions of the Holy Office, which are not in themselves infallible, into ex cathedra papal pronouncements, but in doing so he must comply with the conditions already explained -- which neither Paul V nor Urban VIII did in the Galileo case.

Conclusion. The broad fact, therefore, remains certain that no ex cathedra definition of any pope has ever been shown to be erroneous.</font>
...and leave the scriptural and traditional arguments to whether or not you feel like reading them.

------------------
2004-07-21, 7:57 PM #228
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DogSRoOL:
Don't care.
God didn't give us free will so people could force their morals on others. It's supposed to be choice, and I suggest leaving it as such.

Similarly, the constitution grants us freedom of choice, so long as it doesn't infringe on others' rights. I don't see homosexuality infringing on others' rights, nor am I aware of anything that gives congress the right to pass laws based completely on moral opinion.

[This message has been edited by DogSRoOL (edited July 16, 2004).]
</font>

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Emon:
Agree or disagree with it, like it or not, it isn't anyone's place to put restrictions on it. It's simply unconstitutional, anything else is just a childish matter of semantics.

</font>

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
+1

</font>

------------------
Kill Your Idols!
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.

↑ Up to the top!