Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Should I Get 360 or PS3 ?
Should I Get 360 or PS3 ?
2007-11-28, 4:22 PM #161
Originally posted by phoenix_9286:
Me. Never had one. Never wanted one. Still don't want one. Nothing out there I'd play, and I loathe the DualShock and all it's iterations.

No offense man, but according to sales numbers alone...you're in the far far minority. The PS2 has sold ridiculously well, and chances are anyone even LOOKING at the PS3 already has a PS2.

Originally posted by phoenix_9268:
Time will tell, obviously. I'd be a little surprised if it jumped "massively", but my money is on sales going up a little, and then flattening out again because word will get out, again, that there's no real reason to have one unless you're a fan of the few games available right now, or you like Blu-Ray movies.

When the priced dropped to 500 the sales jumped 192%. That's almost 300% as much sales as they were having before the drop and that was to 500 a price point few people were willing to pay beforehand with the PS3.

If it drops to 400, I'll bet you the gloves come off and you start seeing the PS3 as a legitimate player in the field. If the octopiler drops when it's supposed to (next year...maybe) then you're going to see developers coming back to it again.

And don't think because Microsoft has a lot of money doesn't mean Sony isn't loaded to their ears in cash too. The PS3 and the Cell are their major prospects, true, but they're not their only ones.
D E A T H
2007-11-28, 4:22 PM #162
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
I think we had one of those 'round here.
Made some awesome art.
Then he died.

Grasp of english: Slightly better.
Intelligence: Par.
Number of people who want you to die: Par.
D E A T H
2007-11-28, 4:37 PM #163
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
I think we had one of those 'round here.
Made some awesome art.
Then he died.

Honestly, you don't have any room to talk. You're bad. He's worse.

Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
No offense man, but according to sales numbers alone...you're in the far far minority. The PS2 has sold ridiculously well, and chances are anyone even LOOKING at the PS3 already has a PS2.

I realize that. I was just saying that I didn't have one. =P

Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
When the priced dropped to 500 the sales jumped 192%. That's almost 300% as much sales as they were having before the drop and that was to 500 a price point few people were willing to pay beforehand with the PS3.

If it drops to 400, I'll bet you the gloves come off and you start seeing the PS3 as a legitimate player in the field. If the octopiler drops when it's supposed to (next year...maybe) then you're going to see developers coming back to it again.

And don't think because Microsoft has a lot of money doesn't mean Sony isn't loaded to their ears in cash too. The PS3 and the Cell are their major prospects, true, but they're not their only ones.

I never said that. Obviously if I'm going to pull for someone it's going to be Microsoft and Nintendo. If only to see Sony smacked off their high horse. I'm fully aware though that this is still anyone's game. And yes, I'm also aware Microsoft can be just as retarded and arrogant as Sony. They just haven't shot themselves in the foot quite as much. I'm sure their time will come.

But like I said, you root for your home team, and time will tell what happens. I personally hope the 360 keeps up the waves of titles and continues to improve. That way even if it doesn't come out on top, at least it'll still have had a better run than the Xbox, and have come out stronger.

Just what I think. It does kinda boil down to one thing though... Sony can lower the price and shift units all they want. But if they don't start getting more titles worth having on their system over Microsoft's...
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2007-11-28, 6:04 PM #164
Originally posted by Darth_Xasthur:
Thank you very much. Im leaning twards the 360, but MGS4 and Blue-ray keep pulling me back to PS3. Can the PS3 play normal DVD's as well as HD's? The 360 plays HD's right? I DO NOT want every thing to go to blu-ray. But the cheapest blu-ray player is the PS3. Do you think Blu-Ray will become the big thing?

All Blu-ray and HD-DVD players can play regular DVDs. However, the 360 does not play HD-DVDs out of the box and it requires an add-on. I'm pretty sure it plays DVD though.

Oh and about how Blu-Ray is doing. In Europe, it's doing very well. However in America, it's at a stalemart with HD-DVD.
2007-11-28, 8:30 PM #165
How much is tha add on for the 360 to play HD-DVD's
" I am the Lizard King, I can do anyhthing... "
2007-11-28, 10:51 PM #166
How much is tha add on for the 360 to play HD-DVD's

It's like $180. But seriously, don't pick a console based on which HD video format it supports. By the time it's relevant (if one format even does become the standard), standalone players will be cheap enough. Besides, you said yourself you don't have a HD TV, which is all the more reason to wait.
2007-11-29, 11:08 AM #167
thats stupid, why cant they just make some thing awesome.

In all honesty, how many people do you know that buy SACDs?

And speaking of those, how do you know that these 2 things are the next industry standard? I mean look at SACD and audio-DVD, they both failed to make a gigantic impact, because a bunch of people just didn't care about paying for something more expensive when they were happy with their CDs.
nope.
2007-11-29, 1:26 PM #168
Originally posted by Baconfish:
In all honesty, how many people do you know that buy SACDs?

And speaking of those, how do you know that these 2 things are the next industry standard? I mean look at SACD and audio-DVD, they both failed to make a gigantic impact, because a bunch of people just didn't care about paying for something more expensive when they were happy with their CDs.

I just hope that HD will not become a standerd. As i said, i have 100000 DVD's, so why would i want to re-buy movies. The only thing i re-bought were the "Star Wars" movies. I have them all on; original VSH, then Digitly remastered VHS, then Spical edition VHS for wide-screen and for full, then i bought them all again for DVD, The box set with the documentary, then i bought them again, when they realeased the versions without the spical edition sceanes. In the end that was like $10000000, all for "Star Wars"
:suicide:
2007-11-29, 1:35 PM #169
You wouldn't have to rebuy them because all Blu-Ray and HD players support DVD.

And the thing with SACD is that most people can't hear a difference between regular CDs and SACD. But the difference between DVD and HD/BluRay is very apparent.
2007-11-29, 2:09 PM #170
So you are saying that HD or Blue-Ray, will eventually whipe out DVD?
2007-11-29, 2:15 PM #171
Its what they reckon. That's the whole point in them.
nope.
2007-11-29, 8:05 PM #172
That is lame, i really dont want everything to change again. Pretty son they will only realease movies on HD or Blue-Ray, and i will have to buy an HD TV and a Blue-Ray or HD DVD player. That WAS a big factor when i was deciding on weather or not to get the PS3. I thought Blue-Ray would wipe everything out right away. Not that i want it to.
2007-11-29, 8:23 PM #173
Welcome to LIFE. Things CHANGE. And no, it's not going to happen any time soon. I'm honestly expecting HD-DVD and BluRay to pass over everyone, and digital distribution to become the next big thing.

Ironic considering my distaste of digital distribution for full fledged games, and DRM in general.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Last Stand
2007-11-29, 8:28 PM #174
You know the problem with that?

I'm gonna get butt****ed if that happens. Freaking satellite internet and its complete hatred of everything everyone else can do.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2007-11-29, 8:40 PM #175
It's better then dial up.
2007-11-29, 10:17 PM #176
I don't think things will switch completely to digital distribution for quite a while...
2007-11-29, 10:37 PM #177
Originally posted by Vincent Valentine:
I don't think things will switch completely to digital distribution for quite a while...

Neither do I. There aren't exactly any convenient storage solutions for it. But depending on how long BluRay vs HD-DVD carries on, that could very well creep in and kill them both.
Last Stand
2007-11-29, 10:45 PM #178
Originally posted by Vincent Valentine:

But some can certainly handle it and make it the best solution for them. I think now's the time it's going to start and it's all gonna end up that way eventually.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-11-30, 11:47 AM #179
That would suck, i do not like Digital. I like to have something i can hold and touch (that sounds weird), but still. I feel like im the only one left in the world that still buys actual CD's.......
2007-12-01, 10:51 PM #180
Are they supposted to lower prices of xbox or wii any time soon?

O and should i get assins creed, some say awesome, some say too short
2007-12-01, 11:39 PM #181
Y'know, it can be awesome and too short.

Just sayin'.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2007-12-02, 6:19 AM #182
Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane:

Just sayin'.

That is most definitely not what she said.
D E A T H
2007-12-02, 7:24 AM #183
Hahahahaa BURN
2007-12-02, 8:50 AM #184
:gonk:
2007-12-03, 2:50 PM #185

Just sayin'.

Im sorry if i didn't make it clear enough, but i was saying that some people said positive things about it. Some said negitive things. The only real positive thing ive heard is "Its awesome", nothing more. The negitive things are "It was too short" or "I couldent get into it". Thats all im saying.
2007-12-03, 9:15 PM #186
So you are saying that HD or Blue-Ray, will eventually whipe out DVD?

that's a pretty ignorant question.. I mean look at it.. DVD was replaced by VHS, of course technology will replace DVD with something (maybe hddvd maybe bluray maybe something else)
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2007-12-03, 9:16 PM #187
Are they supposted to lower prices of xbox or wii any time soon?

O and should i get assins creed, some say awesome, some say too short

It's a fun game, kind of repetitive. I would suggest COD:4 or mass effect before assassins creed
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2007-12-03, 9:27 PM #188
Originally posted by Z@NARDI:
COD:4

:neckbeard:
2007-12-03, 10:18 PM #189
Originally posted by Z@NARDI:
.. DVD was replaced by VHS...

:suicide:
2007-12-03, 10:18 PM #190
:neckbeard:

Seconded.

Plus:
Quote:
DVD was replaced by VHS

ohnos