Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → MotS Speed Run Planning Thread (formerly Jedi Knight Speed Run)
MotS Speed Run Planning Thread (formerly Jedi Knight Speed Run)
2010-11-27, 2:01 PM #1
Just found these on youtube... pretty interesting. It's cool how they waste time to get all the secrets in the first level, because that allows them to get force speed earlier on in later levels, which lowers the overall completion time. Plus they use a few sneaky tricks that I never even knew existed.

It's pretty sick how fast they finish some of the levels...

It's got commentary too, explaining some of the stuff they did.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfxOXpTlLzI
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSRCQkwbv18
2010-11-27, 2:21 PM #2
neat, never saw with commentary
2010-11-27, 2:54 PM #3
The commentary explains so much I found mystifying when I saw the old run he mentions.

-And I agree, I miss the days where you got impact damage from more than just falling.
2010-11-27, 2:57 PM #4
The suicide endings were astonishing. I love watching speed runs for some reason.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2010-11-27, 3:33 PM #5
Note how it seems like he's always looking to one side... He's moving extra fast by using the move foward button and the strafe button.

(if he mentions this in the commentary, then disregard me pointing it out. I have the volume off)
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2010-11-27, 3:51 PM #6
now the question is, will you incorporate any of these tricks in your playing?
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2010-11-27, 3:56 PM #7
I think it'd be a blast to try and recreate this, maybe not necessarily to go as fast, but just to pull off some of the awesome tricks. Problem is, some of that goes by so fast I don't even know what he was doing.

The worst part about speed runs is noticing the few places where fractions of a second were missed by door frames and whatnot. It drives me insane and I have problems.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2010-11-27, 3:56 PM #8
Yeah, he mentions that, Sarn.
Genk: I do the diagonal running thing all the time, at least when I need to get somewhere fast and the game allows it.

-Sadly, most games don't have Rail Detonators or Force Speed :(
2010-11-27, 4:32 PM #9
Originally posted by Jarl:
-Sadly, most games don't have Rail Detonators or Force Speed :(

Yeah, he makes a good point in the commentary that in Jedi Knight, Lucas Arts gave you a lot more power over your character and how you can move and how quickly than most other games do.
2010-11-27, 4:46 PM #10
I use to play around with using the rail gun and firing a round then immediatley engaging the force run and catching up with the same speed of the rail charge and getting damaged with its target when it made contact.
He who controls the spice controls the universe-
2010-11-27, 4:51 PM #11
So did I man.
Oh, and racing the Tie Bombers on the first MoTS level.
2010-11-27, 4:58 PM #12
Yeah back in the glory days of JK online, I used the forward run/strafe thing all the time, and I also occasionally used the thermal detonator jump.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2010-11-27, 5:00 PM #13
They finished levels that took me over an hour to beat as a kid in seconds.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2010-11-27, 5:10 PM #14
Really impressive and entertaining.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2010-11-27, 5:54 PM #15
Force speed is cheating.
2010-11-27, 5:58 PM #16
Also : Holy ****. Only on level 2 and it's already amazing.

[Later...]

Holy **** level 8.
2010-11-27, 6:03 PM #17
Originally posted by JM:
Force speed is cheating.

The fact that the make concessions in earlier levels, like taking time to get all the hidden areas in level 1, collecting the rail det and mines to get an even better advantage later on, playing it on hard to lifts move faster, etc., shows that they put a lot of thought into this...
2010-11-27, 6:27 PM #18
So awesome :D
2010-11-27, 7:26 PM #19
Wow. I haven't played that game in over a decade, and I don't remember any of those levels. I mean, I remember the general point of each mission, but I don't remember any of the specifics.
2010-11-27, 10:26 PM #20
I was shocked with how fast they made it through level 3 at the Katarn home. It always took me for ever to find those stupid wrenches. Or the Fuel station.
My blawgh.
2010-11-27, 11:22 PM #21
This guy is a Massassian by the way, and he posted a thread here about the speed run when he was making it. I believe he still holds the record at speeddemosarchive.com
2010-11-27, 11:29 PM #22
Neat!

Also, I've always found all the secret areas from the first three levels since I thought you had to do that in order to progress properly in the game. :\

It's nice.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2010-11-27, 11:38 PM #23
It was cool to watch a play through of the game. Forgot so much about it
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2010-11-28, 12:04 AM #24
Level 8... how the hell did they figure that one out??
2010-11-28, 12:40 AM #25
I started watching thinking it was their 2004 speedrun, but this is much improved. Really quite impressed with some of the tricks they use.
2010-11-28, 12:45 AM #26
Originally posted by x25064:

I was thinking they might have found the gap in the invisible wall by looking at the level in Jed.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2010-11-28, 1:14 AM #27
Quote:
I was shocked with how fast they made it through level 3 at the Katarn home. It always took me for ever to find those stupid wrenches. Or the Fuel station.
They didn't pick up any wrenches at all!
2010-11-28, 11:17 AM #28
I was amazed at the speed. Holy crap. I wonder how many times those guys played those levels trying to get the speeds they got. Hundreds? Thousands?
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2010-11-28, 11:32 AM #29
Very very awesome. Kind of makes me want to play jk again.....
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2010-11-28, 1:02 PM #30
I never knew Kyle could run on water. I thought he was a Jedi, not a ninja!
2010-11-28, 1:46 PM #31
Some say Jesus was Kyle Katarn. Others say Kyle Katarn was Jesus. We will never know.
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2010-11-28, 3:36 PM #32
I always figured there was different ways to get through the falling ship level, but I never realized there were 4 different paths...
2010-11-28, 5:50 PM #33
Hey people, ExplodingCabbage here. I did levels 1 and 8 in the run and helped out RandomEngy with tricks and planning for many of the other levels. A guy named w00tles just posted over on speeddemosarchive about this thread, and I thought I'd register here just to say that it's really gratifying to see this run getting so much attention here and that you all enjoyed it - thanks. :) I expect Engy will post here at some point too.

Originally posted by JediKirby:
I think it'd be a blast to try and recreate this, maybe not necessarily to go as fast, but just to pull off some of the awesome tricks. Problem is, some of that goes by so fast I don't even know what he was doing.

I've attached the latest version of our written comments (which will eventually go up with the run on SDA) to this post. Maybe they'll clarify some things for you, and hopefully they'll just generally be interesting. Also feel free to ask (here or on YouTube) if there's moments in the run where you can't quite understand or see what's happening.

Originally posted by Freelancer:
Originally posted by x25064:

I was thinking they might have found the gap in the invisible wall by looking at the level in Jed.

Actually, I found it using the fly cheat (eriamjh). I've always found that fly cheats are really, really useful for finding skips and sequence breaks for FPS speedruns, and Jedi Knight was no exception.

The corpse boost on level 8 actually obsoleted another trick involving running off the edge of the first building and breaking your fall by deflecting off the corner of a stormtrooper's head (after luring him out to the edge of the ledge below using a thermal detonator). I was kind of sad to let that go, although the corpse boost is certainly much funnier. You can see the old version of level 8 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g6y74D0Qcs

Thanks again for your interest, everyone.
Attachment: 24507/comments.txt (38,353 bytes)
2010-11-28, 6:13 PM #34
Level 8 is VERY impressive!
(JKLE_Cougar) from JK MP Community
discord.me/jediknightdarkforces2
2010-11-28, 6:18 PM #35
Originally posted by Cabbage:
A guy named w00tles

hi cabbage :)

Quote:
The corpse boost on level 8 actually obsoleted another trick involving running off the edge of the first building and breaking your fall by deflecting off the corner of a stormtrooper's head (after luring him out to the edge of the ledge below using a thermal detonator). I was kind of sad to let that go, although the corpse boost is certainly much funnier. You can see the old version of level 8 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g6y74D0Qcs

Haha, I love how Kyle goes "You have got to be kidding me" right after that stunt!
2010-11-28, 8:05 PM #36
Glad you like the run! Someone asked how long it took. Steam tells me I've played 250 hours of Jedi Knight, which about represents the time spent improving the run.
2010-11-28, 9:00 PM #37
Pretty much everything is better with commentary.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2010-11-28, 9:23 PM #38
I love how a lot of time is saved by simply tossing Kyle Katarns corpse in the general direction of the level end.
2010-11-28, 9:41 PM #39
Holy cow. :awesome:
woot!
2010-11-28, 9:42 PM #40
Originally posted by Tibby:
I love how a lot of time is saved by simply tossing Kyle Katarns corpse in the general direction of the level end.

Yeah I kinda thought those were cheap shots
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"

↑ Up to the top!