Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → New Name for Massassi
New Name for Massassi
2012-04-23, 1:57 PM #1
Take this thread seriously. If you thread crap, even subtly, I will just outright ban you.

Massassi Temple is a fine name for a Star Wars fansite. But if we're ever going to move past that (and keep Massassi itself going) it needs a new name. One that, preferably, could be trademarked and protected if it ever did take off.

This name will only be used on the "New Massassi", if it ever happens.

The concept for this new name should be something short, something that ties into the creative and collective nature of Massassi (a collection of mods, and editing support), and maybe something that's a throwback to Massassi.

I know a lot of you are not okay with a new name, but we don't really have a choice if we ever remake Massassi into something that will last. The name's only going to happen on this new site, so if it never happens, you have nothing to worry about. Keep Massassi Temple with the same name though, just isn't an option (legally).

My best idea thus far has been "The Verve Cluster", because to me it sounded space-y, but I'm not sold on it. I want everyone's recommendations.
2012-04-23, 2:02 PM #2
Time to throw down the unoriginal ideas!

• M-T
  • Issassam
  • The Green Place

I'll try to think of some better ones later.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2012-04-23, 2:03 PM #3
Should note there is a non-zero chance the new site will not be green. Be aware when suggesting names with colors.
2012-04-23, 2:04 PM #4
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Should note there is a non-zero chance the new site will not be green. Be aware when suggesting names with colors.

All the better - it could be ironic!
2012-04-23, 2:15 PM #5
How about Sulon Star or Moldy Crow?
I know they're bad names, but at least keep a reference to the game that made this site exists.
2012-04-23, 2:18 PM #6
Originally posted by Kamon:
How about Sulon Star or Moldy Crow?
I know they're bad names, but at least keep a reference to the game that made this site exists.

Because of copyright.
2012-04-23, 2:27 PM #7
Destination Stars
Intraspace
Master Sassi
Massless Forums
Not the Green Place
Old Kell Dragon
The Eye of the Jedi
The Other Place
Smugglers of the Spice*
Wars on Stars
Vector Forever
Yun Must Die

*Will inevitably attract Dune fans and drug addicts (SW.W.:Spice). :)
幻術
2012-04-23, 2:28 PM #8
Moldy Star ? xD
But the name must have some reference to Star Wars?
EDIT: Well, I liked the Destination Stars, Old Kell Dragon Wars on Stars and Vector Forever.
2012-04-23, 2:33 PM #9
There are some options for throwbacks.

You can pick a name that merely seems vaguely reminiscent of something space-like: Black Canvas, Stellar Mines.

You can pick a name more obvious to Massassi roots yet still generic: Rebel Base, Dark Ruins.

You can draw from a name of a specific thing from Massassi that isn't copyrighted (though you may need to get the permission of whomever it came from): Drazen Isle, Purgatory.

I'm still trying to think up better names - I was just throwing this bit out there for others to work with as they saw fit.
2012-04-23, 2:37 PM #10
And this can be the logo.
幻術
2012-04-23, 2:39 PM #11
The Fourth Moon
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
A community dedicated to discussing all things entertainment.
2012-04-23, 3:02 PM #12
Genk's Pleasure Palace.

Matty's House of Munch

The Forum of ******. (Now in green!)
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2012-04-23, 3:53 PM #13
The Massive Sassy
The Sassy Mass
The Broken Lightsaber
The Hopping goofy Twileck
AODOT
The George Lucas encased in Frozen Carbonite site.
He who controls the spice controls the universe-
2012-04-23, 4:02 PM #14
Originally posted by genk:
Genk's Pleasure Palace.

Matty's House of Munch

The Forum of ******. (Now in green!)

Take this thread seriously. If you thread crap, even subtly, I will just outright ban you.

I'm not joking. Guys, this is me trying to be democratic about what future Massassi turns into. I was strongly encouraged to make this thread in hopes you guys can be democratic. Don't joke about this or I will simply stop asking the community for input.

(And I know not all of you are crapping the thread. Thank you.)
2012-04-23, 4:22 PM #15
Znffnffv
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2012-04-23, 4:43 PM #16
Fold In The Internet (FITI)
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2012-04-23, 4:59 PM #17
Accretion Games/Mods/Reviews/(or anything similar)
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2012-04-23, 5:46 PM #18
Siy Stem
Messy Temper
Spork in the Road

Out of the ones not mine, I like the following suggested so far:
Intraspace
Vector Forever
Fold In The Internet
2012-04-23, 5:51 PM #19
sassyland
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2012-04-23, 7:50 PM #20
Not to sound like a ****, but what exactly are we turning into here? How can we name something that doesnt even exist yet, or that were not even sure what its going to be?
2012-04-23, 8:40 PM #21
Originally posted by Couchman:
Not to sound like a ****, but what exactly are we turning into here? How can we name something that doesnt even exist yet, or that were not even sure what its going to be?

We had a big long (multiple thread) discussion about this a long time ago. Here's the jist of it, as a refresher:

1. Remove focus on Jedi Knight series, and Star Wars in general.
2. Move towards an editor-oriented website for creating mods in all sorts of games, including Source engine, UE3, etc. This is, in a sense, exactly what Massassi used to be about, except on a larger scale.
3. Revamp, and hopefully semi-automate the submission process.

Basically, something like Moddb, except focused far more on the development side of things (tutorials, materials, support) instead of promotion.

Massassi's files will never be in jeopardy. They will either be automatically filed in the new submission system, or placed in a separate historical area for perusal. The forums won't go anywhere either.
2012-04-23, 8:51 PM #22
This I like, need more original Unreal COOP mappage and CS1.6 mappage, both I'm sort of active in, I'de finally have a place to publish my work again

I'll ponder a name
2012-04-23, 8:53 PM #23
Couchman Presents: The Massassi Temple Editor's Blog!
By Couchman
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2012-04-23, 9:46 PM #24
Is there a particular reason it can't remain The Massassi Temple? Has there been an issue with the copyright on the word Massassi, or is it just the fact that it will keep the site too affixed to Star Wars?
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
A community dedicated to discussing all things entertainment.
2012-04-23, 9:54 PM #25
Originally posted by Darth J:
Is there a particular reason it can't remain The Massassi Temple? Has there been an issue with the copyright on the word Massassi, or is it just the fact that it will keep the site too affixed to Star Wars?

If it ever somehow does take off, having it tied to Star Wars at all is just begging for litigation from Lucasfilm. Not to mention, the name wouldn't really fit the purpose of the site.
2012-04-23, 9:58 PM #26
Just name it TODOA since the change will take like 10 years to happen anyway.

Seriously though, I like Darth J's suggestion. (The Fourth Moon, not the ****ty stupid ones)

Edit: MY IDEAS ARE DUMB AND I'M DUMB
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2012-04-23, 11:39 PM #27
I think I would name it something that alludes to it's roots, but could still stand on it's own. Maybe like: MassGameDesign.com or MassEditingTemple.com (Ok well those suck, but you get the idea).
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2012-04-24, 12:57 AM #28
Originally posted by EAH_TRISCUIT:
I think I would name it something that alludes to it's roots, but could still stand on it's own. Maybe like: MassGameDesign.com or MassEditingTemple.com (Ok well those suck, but you get the idea).

Did not think they sucked...

My contribution... so far:

Cogs-R-Us

Coggers Welcome

Editor's Corner

Battle Ground Mods

Editor's Oasis

Full Force Modding

The MT Gaming Zone

The Secret Achievement/Spot/Area

Maybe more later... A bit busy reading Tibby's Dream/short story.
"Hello one day ban." ~ Baconfish
>Liberius when he's not on Massassi<
2012-04-24, 1:03 AM #29
Originally posted by Alan:
Just name it TODOA since the change will take like 10 years to happen anyway.

[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/garosaon/waste/crying-indian1.jpg]
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2012-04-24, 1:09 AM #30
I like some of Liberius Vir's suggestions, specifically Editor's Oasis and Full Force Modding.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2012-04-24, 2:02 AM #31
canyonoasis.net
Magrucko Daines and the Crypt of Crola (2007)
Magrucko Daines and the Dark Youth (2010)
Magrucko Daines and the Vertical City (2016)
2012-04-24, 7:20 AM #32
We had a big long (multiple thread) discussion about this a long time ago. Here's the jist of it, as a refresher:

1. Remove focus on Jedi Knight series, and Star Wars in general.
2. Move towards an editor-oriented website for creating mods in all sorts of games, including Source engine, UE3, etc. This is, in a sense, exactly what Massassi used to be about, except on a larger scale.
3. Revamp, and hopefully semi-automate the submission process.

Basically, something like Moddb, except focused far more on the development side of things (tutorials, materials, support) instead of promotion.

Massassi's files will never be in jeopardy. They will either be automatically filed in the new submission system, or placed in a separate historical area for perusal. The forums won't go anywhere either.

So I think Editor's Corner and Vector Forever names are best (for now)

Yavin Designers?
2012-04-24, 7:34 AM #33

MassDB.

I personally like the idea of being practical--choosing a name that actually represents what we are & what we do. Moddb, which you referenced, is a good example of what I'm referring to--it's essentially a database for mods. I wouldn't necessarily choose Editor's Corner, though it's not terrible, but I think it's a step in the right direction. If we're going to choose something random that isn't actually representative of what we are, it doesn't really matter anyways (the content will pull them in, not the name).

That being said...

• Vertex Center
  • Vertex Colony
  • Vertex Nation
? :)
2012-04-24, 7:48 AM #34
Editor's corner is nice, and it ties in to the history of Massassi a bit.

Or sassyland. Whichever.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2012-04-24, 8:42 AM #35
VERTEX FOREVER. :)

Vertex Center sounds cool, btw. And I agree that it's a good idea for the name to reflect the content.
幻術
2012-04-24, 8:48 AM #36
Mapsmodswin
Mod Magic
Polygon Crafts

EDIT: This is much less fun sober. :) I'll get back to you later this evening with more input (maybe).
幻術
2012-04-24, 9:02 AM #37
I doubt this is going to be as big of a problem as you think it will...

But either way, I like EAH's ideas, as well as Cog anything. Cog makes a lot of sense because of it's multiple meanings. Cogmods.com has a certain ring to it.

Edit: Also, do you really need to threaten to ban every 3 threads because people don't post exactly how you want them to? Seriously dude there's like 10 people and you're asking a question on the internet. You don't have to be so serious.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2012-04-24, 9:08 AM #38
I'm not a fan of anything Editors-, because keep in mind, to anyone outside of Massassi, editors are people who edit text for a living.

I like Mentat's suggestion of vertex, so perhaps something like:

Vertex Territory
Vertex Cluster

or alternatively:

Vector Expanse
Modding Nebula
2012-04-24, 9:09 AM #39
Massworks
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2012-04-24, 9:17 AM #40
^ Jep's nailed it
Magrucko Daines and the Crypt of Crola (2007)
Magrucko Daines and the Dark Youth (2010)
Magrucko Daines and the Vertical City (2016)

↑ Up to the top!