Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → New Name for Massassi
New Name for Massassi
2012-04-24, 9:17 AM #41
While I like the use of Vector, CM, I don't think it'd make sense or be very pretty at the beginning of the name. ModVector however, I REALLY like.

Edit: I just clicked on the header to go to the main forum page and thought we should really keep the Temple part. ModTemple, however simple, really reminds of our origins. I vote for anything temple.

(I got a timeout!)
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2012-04-24, 9:32 AM #42
I like ModTemple. :) ModVector is nice, too. Maybe we should name it MoDaVector. :D
幻術
2012-04-24, 9:37 AM #43
I think you should keep any mathematics terms (e.g. vector) out of the name because it causes physical injury to anybody who understands them.
2012-04-24, 9:38 AM #44
I like Massworks (Jep's idea)

Basically, what I think this new website should be about is editing for games new and old, we can definately appreciate the old. I love mapping for Unreal 1, coop and SP maps, as well as for UT99 and UT2004. I also do some CS1.6 mapping.

NaliCity was an editing site for all unreal games but it crashed and everything was lost and the community died. It was a sad day. I don't know much about servers or computers, but I do know that the data storage needed to host the kind of operation I envision would be massive. But I feel many people in good financialy situations would donate if their game was supported. I feel a lot of people would upload their favorite maps from their favorite games in the hope to preserve them for a longer time.

I believe this could be a great success.
2012-04-24, 10:30 AM #45
I'm actually on board with Jep's Massworks (more like mb's ass works amirite) or Liberius Vir's Editor's Oasis and Full Force Modding.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2012-04-24, 10:54 AM #46
Massanything will be assumed to be related to Mass Effect. It's terrible. I propose the name Madaventor.
2012-04-24, 11:04 AM #47
Originally posted by JM:
Massanything will be assumed to be related to Mass Effect.

I don't know if you're a dick head or an idiot.
2012-04-24, 11:41 AM #48
Yeah because that's not a prominent piece of IP these days that everyone is talking about everywhere and might not mistake for being related
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2012-04-24, 11:53 AM #49
Vector Temple / Temple Vertex
Vector Center / Vertex Center

That name sounds cool, at least for me.
2012-04-24, 12:00 PM #50
Modding Nebula is the only thing so far that actually implies what the purpose of the site would be.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2012-04-24, 12:08 PM #51
Vertex
2012-04-24, 12:28 PM #52
Originally posted by JM:
Massanything will be assumed to be related to Mass Effect. It's terrible. I propose the name Madaventor.

While its a plausible assumption, you'd have to be pretty freaking narrow-minded to associate the word Mass to Mass Effect alone. God save the people who work in mass productions.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2012-04-24, 12:38 PM #53
Originally posted by Vin:
Vertex

Vintex.
幻術
2012-04-24, 1:10 PM #54
really liked these ones so far:
-MassGameDesign.com
-Massworks
-Spork in the Road
-Vector Forever
-Vertex Center
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2012-04-24, 1:33 PM #55
i have a great idea...

call it... The Massassi Temple

seriously why bother changing it? make a new site and leave massassi the way it is
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2012-04-24, 2:22 PM #56
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
i have a great idea...

call it... The Massassi Temple

seriously why bother changing it? make a new site and leave massassi the way it is

I have a great idea, read next time. Stop crapping the thread.
2012-04-24, 2:50 PM #57
Originally posted by Goit:
canyonoasis.net

This!

Speaking of names. It got me thinking about all the old jedi knight sites. It seems jedinights.com is still up in some form. Someone is still running/hosting it!

FYI, I just nabbed outpostd34.com as it looks like it dropped fairly recently. The domain is free for anyone who wants to do anything with it, I just wanted to get it for the sake of history :)

edit: a couple of silly ideas:

"My sassy temple"
mods-and-such-sometimes-awesome-sophisticated-stuff-included.com
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2012-04-24, 5:16 PM #58
Originally posted by Ni:
I just nabbed outpostd34.com as it looks like it dropped fairly recently.

Redirect to Massassi because that's hilarious? :D
Magrucko Daines and the Crypt of Crola (2007)
Magrucko Daines and the Dark Youth (2010)
Magrucko Daines and the Vertical City (2016)
2012-04-24, 7:12 PM #59
Quote:
While its a plausible assumption, you'd have to be pretty freaking narrow-minded to associate the word Mass to Mass Effect alone. God save the people who work in mass productions.

Or, you know, a gamer.

Seriously: Madaventor.
2012-04-25, 7:46 AM #60
Originally posted by JM:
Or, you know, a gamer.

I'm going to go with idiot after all.
2012-04-25, 8:46 AM #61
I like Full Force Modding or Full Force Gaming. Lib's suggestion.

I also like MassWorks. Jep's suggestion.

TempleMods or something would be appropriate as well. Or MaDaVentor.

I do legitimately question the legal need to change the name of the site. When Jedi Knight was new, Massassi was not only well known, but I believe well known to Lucasarts. No legal action ever came of it. At this point, the site has well over a decade of existence with the name in use for the purpose of editing. So unless your intention is to severely monetize the site in a way that Lucasarts took offense to, most likely by creating merchandise and thereby profiting off the name, I would be suspect of that risk.

From a marketing standpoint it makes sense to perhaps want something more relevant. But at that point, wouldn't it also be prudent to simply keep both? Massassi could be the withering site on the side.

Source: I work with lawyers and stuff, but IANAL.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2012-04-25, 9:44 AM #62
Because being a Star Wars fansite (of sorts) is one thing, while being a modding community in general, that may perhaps actually make a profit, is another. I want to be clear: keeping the name the same is not an option. If Massassi is going to move forward, keeping the name is a terrible idea in every respect. Basically, the argument for keeping it is "we haven't been sued yet!" which is just a terrible reason.
2012-04-25, 10:04 AM #63
How about cogworks!
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2012-04-25, 10:07 AM #64
Fourth Moon Mods
ModEmpire
Galactic Repository of Mods, Maps and Missions
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
A community dedicated to discussing all things entertainment.
2012-04-25, 10:17 AM #65
My first thought was NewMass.

I also like Jep's though.
2012-04-25, 10:39 AM #66
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Because being a Star Wars fansite (of sorts) is one thing, while being a modding community in general, that may perhaps actually make a profit, is another. I want to be clear: keeping the name the same is not an option. If Massassi is going to move forward, keeping the name is a terrible idea in every respect. Basically, the argument for keeping it is "we haven't been sued yet!" which is just a terrible reason.

I'm all for this. Massassi hasn't been relevant for a long time, and even Star Wars' relevance online AND in video games is waning every year.

The internet could use a good central point for all that is modding, especially LEARNING. That is one thing Massassi nailed in the old days. I've modded most high-profile engines since the Sith engine (to one extent or another), and I've never seen a tutorial site and community quite as effective as Massassi was at its apex.

Using Massassi (current membership and files) as a backbone would kickstart this project. Starting from scratch as an entirely new website would take much longer, and would be less likely to succeed. If Matty still has the files from Serious Editing (Serious Sam) he can even include those.

I think such a project has a good potential. Maybe approaching mod distributors such as the nexus sites would also net you some coverage and maybe even sponsorship. I think it would be better to offer something new, something more than file hosting, so as to not compete these established distributors.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2012-04-25, 10:45 AM #67
Mod Works
Modding Universal
Gamer Valley

Don't know why I think Mod Works will work, but I think the last two are fairly descriptive. Modding Universal (suggests that its for anyone/anything) and Gamer Valley (Reference to The Valley of the Jedi Tower).

I did consider Lockheed ModWorks, but that's a major problem there, if you know your aviation. Of course, if we could replace "Lockheed" with something else...
2012-04-25, 10:46 AM #68
I have no suggestions, but it sounds to me like a great idea. One of the reasons i gave up trying to mod for other games(many MANY years ago) was that there wasnt a resource out there like massassi with tutorials and such. maybe i was just looking in the wrong places, but even the communities i asked for help from were of the attitude "play with it till it works. if it doesnt work, your problem."
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2012-04-25, 1:00 PM #69
cogworks, cogbin, cog-something. It retains some lineage of the site and it would make branding easy.
2012-04-25, 3:00 PM #70
Cogworks and cogbin are sorta taken, what about something like polycogs?

I'm liking the word cog though, since it does tie in, but isn't something that wouldn't make sense out of context.
2012-04-25, 3:42 PM #71
How about just 'Cog'.

COG.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2012-04-25, 3:43 PM #72
CogBlock. It includes both the programming aspect and the physical building brick aspect of levels.

Conveniently it also describes situations where you meet someone but their advances get foiled by you spending all your time trying to code SG1 TCs.
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2012-04-25, 3:49 PM #73

I hope you didn't take my point as a recommendation that we indeed keep the name for moving forward. Like I said, from a marketability standpoint changing it makes a whole ton of sense, and I still like the ideas I mentioned. I'd simply like to see the name continue to exist. If we're intent on moving forward with something new, is there a reason that an archival Massassi couldn't continue to exist as well? Monetizing a new site would in no way impact Massassi. I suspect that the likelihood of litigious action from LEC is so far beyond low that it shouldn't be a consideration.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2012-04-25, 3:51 PM #74
Originally posted by Yecti:
I hope you didn't take my point as a recommendation that we indeed keep the name for moving forward. Like I said, from a marketability standpoint changing it makes a whole ton of sense, and I still like the ideas I mentioned. I'd simply like to see the name continue to exist. If we're intent on moving forward with something new, is there a reason that an archival Massassi couldn't continue to exist as well? Monetizing a new site would in no way impact Massassi. I suspect that the likelihood of litigious action from LEC is so far beyond low that it shouldn't be a consideration.

I'm kind of with Yecti on this one. "Massassi" has been such a part of my life for (cough) years and I always tell friends old stories and such.. it'd be a bit weird to have to refer to it in the past tense!
2012-04-25, 3:51 PM #75
HEY THAT'S A GREAT IDEA, NOTHING COULD GO WRONG.

For serious:

Modder's Compendium
or
Modding Compendium
2012-04-25, 3:52 PM #76
HEY THAT'S A GREAT IDEA, NOTHING COULD GO WRONG.

For serious:

Modder's Compendium
or
Modding Compendium

Codex Coggus!
2012-04-25, 3:53 PM #77
Originally posted by Yecti:

That's an option, but one that we don't even have to worry about until that time comes. The site will not, and cannot be archived as it stands (same code), because the code is just so awful that leaving it alone would be a security disaster, and a maintenance disaster. But it could be referenced as such a name.
2012-04-25, 3:55 PM #78
That's an option, but one that we don't even have to worry about until that time comes. The site will not, and cannot be archived as it stands (same code), because the code is just so awful that leaving it alone would be a security disaster, and a maintenance disaster. But it could be referenced as such a name.

Just export all the forum posts into mysqladmin and then users can log in and run queries to look up threads or witty moments..
2012-04-25, 4:01 PM #79
CogEnhancer.biz

Makes your cogs better and stronger or no money back!
2012-04-25, 4:04 PM #80
Cog Catalog!

↑ Up to the top!