Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → New Name for Massassi
New Name for Massassi
2012-05-11, 1:59 PM #161
CoGDev.

"Community of Game Developers"
"And lo, let us open up into the holy book of Proxy2..." -genk
His pot is blacker than his kettle!
2012-05-11, 3:20 PM #162
Originally posted by LordVirus:
CoGDev.

"Community of Game Developers"

You must not work for the US government. To properly construct an alphabet soup acronyme, the word should spell something [edit: in English, that is]. Examples:

PROTECT IP Act (Preventing Real Online Threats to Economic Creativity and Theft of Intellectual Property Act)

PATRIOT Act (Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools)

JOBS Act (Jumpstart Our Business Startups)

Fannie Mae (The Federal National Mortgage Association)
2012-05-11, 4:08 PM #163
Yes, but I'm not introducing a bill or making a government agency. I'm using the word "cog" in a creative way that also explains what the goal of the site is. :P
2012-05-11, 4:41 PM #164
Let's just call it MSN, I don't think that's taken
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2012-05-11, 4:55 PM #165
Originally posted by Alan:
Let's just call it MSN, I don't think that's taken

And we could get $10 or an X-Box if they sue us!

True story: I actually knew a kid (NOT from Canada) who was also named Michael Rowe.
2012-05-11, 5:05 PM #166
I actually really like CoGDev, but the problem with that is it's not so much game developers, as it is modders IMO. Anyone else agree/disagree?
2012-05-11, 5:50 PM #167
Isn't modding pretty much just ex post facto development?
2012-05-13, 1:48 AM #168
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
I actually really like CoGDev, but the problem with that is it's not so much game developers, as it is modders IMO. Anyone else agree/disagree?

A lot of people are using game and mod interchangeably these days so it would be a minor fault if anything (IMO). And game would really encompass 'mod' in it even if people weren't turning the engine inside out (as with Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, Quake, etc.). Eh.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2012-05-13, 11:42 AM #169
I see no reason why the communities should be separate anymore
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2012-05-13, 1:29 PM #170
COOLMATTYCHEV, TEAR DOWN THAT WALL
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2012-05-13, 5:17 PM #171
Well if you think it'd be appropriate, I'm really liking that name. It keeps some of the Massassi history without being so specific that people will be confused. What's the rest of you think?
2012-05-13, 6:56 PM #172
I, for one, am just happy that people think my suggestion is worthy of consideration. :)
2012-05-13, 8:02 PM #173
Cogdev?

Sounds like cock death.

I approve.
2012-05-16, 7:54 AM #174
Well if you think it'd be appropriate, I'm really liking that name. It keeps some of the Massassi history without being so specific that people will be confused. What's the rest of you think?

I like it--there's symmetry & I think that it'll be a walk in the park for someone to make a logo around the idea.
? :)
2012-05-20, 4:57 AM #175
How about "The Admiral's Command Chamber"? (or: "TACC" for short) It's got a nice ring to it......
Xbox Live/PlayStation Network/Steam: tone217
http://twitter.com/ourmatetone
2012-05-20, 5:06 AM #176
I think it'd be a bit insulting to only remember one of the Massassians we've lost over the years.

Only remember one?? Who else has passed away?
Xbox Live/PlayStation Network/Steam: tone217
http://twitter.com/ourmatetone
2012-05-20, 5:36 AM #177
cave_demon
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2012-05-20, 6:00 AM #178
As far as I know, there was Lar van der Gant (as mentioned here), MaDaVentor and Vegiemaster. And there probably will never be word on Snake-Eyes.

Oh, and there was the whole Cavey "dying" thing in 2002 but that was actually kinda hilarious in a way (pages 2, 3 and 4)..
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2012-05-20, 8:40 PM #179
Originally posted by Mentat:
I like it--there's symmetry & I think that it'll be a walk in the park for someone to make a logo around the idea.

lol ubuntu
2012-05-21, 9:28 AM #180
Master Sassi is the best... :colbert: Its original enough not to be copyrighted already, yet still h as a uncanny resemblance to the site s old name that has stood for so long.

Okay, maybe its not the best name, but i like the idea of keeping something of the old name in the new. We need a creative pun that instills the memory of the old (yet faithful) name in this new copyright-able name.

Allow me to make some suggestions:

MassiveAss
MasterAss
MassAssers
MisterAss(Ass?{additional ass optional})
MickJager

Ok, really though try as I might im unable to come up with anything good. Master Sassi is probably the best thing your going to get if you play that angle. Here are some of my hirrid (but honest) suggestions.

MasterAsinine
MassAssertion
Assassim (that's just putting the M at the end, but creating an interesting word nonetheless.)
MassAssimilation

ALSO: I started a band in high school named "The Forth Moon". It was also a star wars reference. We played Black/(any verb or noun with dark connotations)/Death Metal lololol Fitting I know. I had to chuckle in spite of myself when i read that suggestion on the first page.
" I am the Lizard King, I can do anyhthing... "
2012-05-21, 12:55 PM #181
A bad website with a terrible community(TM)
2012-05-21, 1:16 PM #182
Originally posted by Tibby:
A bad website with a terrible community(TM)

You have the power to make it better.
2012-05-21, 2:30 PM #183
It was a joke.
2012-06-30, 5:53 PM #184
So, Mr. Cool Matty, any headway in the name? Or would you like more suggestions? Haven't seen any activity here for a month, so I figured that something might've happened at some point.

I hope I haven't intruded or anything - I'm just curious.

*shuffles out of room, bowing profusely*
2012-07-01, 7:31 PM #185
AL'S TOY BARN
2012-07-09, 2:31 PM #186
The site's code is a god awful mess that needs to be completely rewritten, period. Anyone with an agenda could probably do serious damage to the site as is (which is why I am very careful to keep regular backups). Thus, a new site, with a ye olde Massassi section.

I can vouch for this (I wrote a small portion of that code ;)).
2012-07-11, 4:35 AM #187
To go back about 3 months, you lot spat out all those cog names and not one of you came up with "cogger"?

Or to make it extra dumb, Coggr.
nope.
2012-07-11, 12:24 PM #188
Cogmunch
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2012-07-12, 11:55 PM #189
it would be good if we kept the same rhythm and rhyme as "massassi"... how about "ass blaster"? It's Star Wars themed and also well captures the ethos here.
2012-10-01, 1:35 PM #190
Wow, so many of you are still here (I used to be called Forsakahn btw). On the subject at hand, if any name got my vote it would be "Vertex Nation". Or one of the cog options. I guess either has my vote (assuming I haven't been gone long enough to do so).
2012-10-03, 7:39 AM #191
Originally posted by Reverend Jones:
it would be good if we kept the same rhythm and rhyme as "massassi"... how about "ass blaster"? It's Star Wars themed and also well captures the ethos here.

I'd expect a Tremors fan site.
nope.
2012-10-03, 9:04 AM #192
Supoib!
nope.
2012-10-03, 9:46 AM #193
forums.superb.net
2012-10-03, 3:56 PM #194
Betty Cogger
2012-10-19, 10:36 PM #195
I think the most important factor is whether or not people can identify with it in a similar form to Massassian and alter it, after the fashion of RITsassians, Utahsassians, Britisassians or what have you. That forms a community identity and even smaller real world identity groups within. These are the only reasons Massassi is really still around.

Vertexia? RITexian, Britexian...

Too close to Texan?
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2012-11-13, 10:34 AM #196
I liked the Drazen Isle or a play on a popular level idea. Modder's High School. Modder's Dwelling. Tales of a Modder. A name that both references Massassi in some way but still speaks towards the new site would be great. My ideas are not very good but I figured I'd leave the creative names up to everyone else. :)

↑ Up to the top!