Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → New Name for Massassi
New Name for Massassi
2012-04-25, 4:11 PM #81
Madaventor
Massworks

Those are nice. I think it would help to keep a short/easy name. Massassi rolls off the tongue pretty nicely. Some of the suggestions so far just seem cumbersome and too necessary to abbreviate.
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2012-04-25, 4:18 PM #82
MADAVENTOR.
2012-04-25, 4:21 PM #83
Why in the world would we name it Madaventor?
2012-04-25, 4:57 PM #84
CogSuckers

please don't ban me coolmatty because I'm seriously suggesting this.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2012-04-25, 6:14 PM #85
HE DIED IT WOULD BE AN HONOR

LETS CALL IT

VEGIEMASTERMADAVENTER

FOR BOTH

REPLY IF U CRY EVRY TIM
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2012-04-25, 7:41 PM #86
The Modder's Bible

The Modder Within (kinda lame, I know)

Altered Creations

Modders Sanctuary

Mods-R-Us (Maybe another lame one...)

Modder's Cantina

Programmers Throne Room

Mod-Master.com

Modders Help Desk (Help section?)

Modders Haven

Gonk's Hideout

I'll try to think of more...
Silly Sith, the Force is for Jedi!
2012-04-25, 8:20 PM #87
Originally posted by Emon:
gurl stops meking out n asks boi to get potartz.
he dus.
den gurl teks deep breff. den gurl sais "bf i am pregnent will u stay ma bf" n he seys "no".
gurl iz hertbrokn. <////3
gurl cried n runz awaii from boi wiffout eatin poptart n she has low blood suga so she fols.
boi runs ova 2 her.
she ded </333333333
boi crie "i sed i no b ur bf...cuz i wona b ur husband!"
he screems n frows poptart @ wol....a bootiful diomand ring wus insyd.
*** LIK DIS IF U CRY EVERTIM***

ftfy
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2012-04-25, 9:55 PM #88
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
I'm liking the word cog though, since it does tie in, but isn't something that wouldn't make sense out of context.

gbk's Cog Emporium
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2012-04-25, 11:06 PM #89
So far I like ModTemple the best, FourthMoon is cool too. You seem to be on a Cog lean so I like The Cog Temple (but only for nostalgia reasons.)
I support this idea, Massassi and it's mods&levels was the best thing that ever happened to the JK comunity in my opinion. I always wished that other mod sites could be just a little more like our Dear Massassi Temple.

<3
you can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than you can with just a kind word
2012-04-25, 11:33 PM #90
intergalactic planetary
2012-04-26, 12:15 AM #91
Originally posted by Reverend Jones:
intergalactic planetary

Planetary Intergalactic.
2012-04-26, 2:40 AM #92
On a serious note and retaining the word "Cog".. if it's a tutorial site, the name "Cognition" would be rather apt!

I do think it should be focused on tutorials rather than file hosting as well. Though hosting is always beneficial, I think that should be secondary as there are many other places which offer that.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2012-04-26, 3:46 AM #93
Originally posted by Ni:
On a serious note and retaining the word "Cog".. if it's a tutorial site, the name "Cognition" would be rather apt!

I do think it should be focused on tutorials rather than file hosting as well. Though hosting is always beneficial, I think that should be secondary as there are many other places which offer that.

Heh I read your suggestion as "CogNation" for a second, which I thought was pretty decent too.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2012-04-26, 4:12 AM #94
Originally posted by EAH_TRISCUIT:
Heh I read your suggestion as "CogNation" for a second, which I thought was pretty decent too.

I like CogNation or CogCentre or CogWorld

I'm just not a fan of Temple. But then I'm just not a fan of any religious references, fictitious or real world.

Edit: CogWorld actually sounds great now that I'm sounding it out.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2012-04-26, 4:33 AM #95
I like Cognition.
2012-04-26, 5:15 AM #96
Originally posted by Vin:
I like Cognition.

I like it too, and the meaning fits sure enough, but it doesn't really reflect that its a community.
2012-04-26, 6:21 AM #97
Are we gonna make this a poll already?

Also what is stopping you from calling it the "Cognition Community"? Too culty?
2012-04-26, 6:25 AM #98
Originally posted by Alan:
Are we gonna make this a poll already?

Also what is stopping you from calling it the "Cognition Community"? Too culty?

That's a little too in your face for a website title, imo.
2012-04-26, 7:52 AM #99
Throw another vote behind Cognition. That's clever.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2012-04-26, 8:31 AM #100
Cognition isn't bad but it's a bit irritating that someone had the audacity to have already registered the dot com & the dot org. The dot net appears to be available though.
? :)
2012-04-26, 9:31 AM #101
Modiversity.

It works on two fronts. It implies a mod university of sorts, where you can learn how to make mods and maps, etc.

It also implies mod diversity, meaning support for multiple different games.
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
A community dedicated to discussing all things entertainment.
2012-04-26, 9:44 AM #102
Good pitch, Darth J! However, I think it has too many syllables for a good new name...
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2012-04-26, 12:09 PM #103
sorry, cognition is bad, it doesn't befit a community.

modversity is awesome, but lacks the number of syllables of 'massassi temple' and doesn't imply star wars, so instead we should call it modversity alliance.
2012-04-26, 12:14 PM #104
Cognition is awful. Says nothing about modding at all and is more likely to sound like a place about psychology or neuroscience.

You can't just pick a random cool sounding word and expect it to work.
2012-04-26, 12:23 PM #105
sorry, cognition is bad, it doesn't befit a community.

modversity is awesome, but lacks the number of syllables of 'massassi temple' and doesn't imply star wars, so instead we should call it modversity alliance.

Why do we need to imply or reference Star Wars? Star Wars no longer has any relevance in the ongoing project. The title needs to imply development community if anything. Once you've nailed those, making the website obviously about gaming and modding is the next step.

Can't say I'm a fan of Modversity either. It doesn't roll off the tongue well and its also rather corny.
2012-04-26, 12:25 PM #106
MASSASSI 2.0

NEVER FINISHED

NEVER FORGET
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2012-04-26, 12:26 PM #107
ModIversity does role off the tongue a little better, which was my original suggestion.
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
A community dedicated to discussing all things entertainment.
2012-04-26, 12:37 PM #108
Darth J wrote:
Quote:
ModIversity does role off the tongue a little better, which was my original suggestion.

Whoops, sorry for the bastardization.

Jep wrote:
Quote:
Star Wars no longer has any relevance in the ongoing project

Ah, thanks for letting me know. I hadn't realized that Cool Matty had finally decided to kill the site, but I suppose it really had to happen.

Jep wrote:
Quote:
its also rather corny.

Once you take yourself this seriously, you're finished anyway.
2012-04-26, 12:40 PM #109
So the new project is a school? Why the university connotation? Yeah, there's tutorials. But it makes it sound like there's some sort of teaching program. It sounds like the name of one of those ****ty game development schools you see ****ty TV ads for.
2012-04-26, 12:50 PM #110
Cognation FTW.
幻術
2012-04-26, 12:53 PM #111
Jep wrote:

Once you take yourself this seriously, you're finished anyway.

Couldn't disagree more. Once you take yourself that seriously, you're being professional. The moment you find corny acceptable, you're an amateur.
2012-04-26, 12:54 PM #112
Also there's a difference between being humorous and being ridiculous and silly.
2012-04-26, 12:57 PM #113
For those that are overly concerned with changing the name from Massassi, you could always form a team of old-schoolers with said name to represent.
? :)
2012-04-26, 12:58 PM #114
People mod much anymore, like in the sense of the word in the context of the past 2 decades?

I mean, outside of school projects, portfolios and such. Why pick up modding, and how would one site encompass the diverse needs of modders of different platforms, engines, limitations, etc.

Taking one angle, tutorials are tedious to write, correct and update. A wiki on modding of one game/engine on one site handled by a specific community of modders seems like something that would benefit the modder person more than a site with a little bit of everything, except when it comes to showcasing/publicity.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2012-04-26, 2:03 PM #115
The barrier to entry for game development has gotten much lower (see, UDK, Unity) while the barrier to entry for modding has gotten much higher. A lot of games don't even have the capability anymore. Though some things, like level design, have gotten a lot easier due to the massive amount of prefab assets that modern games (like HL2 or Left 4 Dead) include for you. That and the ability to use modern content creation tools.

Modding wouldn't be a very good focus so much as maybe general game development for hobbyists, for which modding is now one aspect. Or perhaps that's too broad, I don't know.
2012-04-26, 2:08 PM #116
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
People mod much anymore, like in the sense of the word in the context of the past 2 decades?

I mean, outside of school projects, portfolios and such. Why pick up modding, and how would one site encompass the diverse needs of modders of different platforms, engines, limitations, etc.

Taking one angle, tutorials are tedious to write, correct and update. A wiki on modding of one game/engine on one site handled by a specific community of modders seems like something that would benefit the modder person more than a site with a little bit of everything, except when it comes to showcasing/publicity.

Modding is actually alive and well, quite popular depending on the game. However, the problem with places that focus on one specific engine is that they have the same issue Massassi had: eventually it dies out or grows stale.

In addition, tutorials aren't the only thing that can be up for offer. I am also talking items like models, textures, sound effects, anything a modder could use.

Hopefully, if the site has any success at all, I also would like to implement motivational prizes for tutorials/guides/etc. Something sort of like the map contest we have now. People who write the most useful tutorials (not limited by game) would be able to win awards.
2012-04-26, 7:52 PM #117
To take the model, textures, etc. a little further for a moment, could the current community kind of act as a jumping point? I figure that some of the guys here have been doing those things (modelling, textures, etc) for a while now, if not since shortly after the game came out. One can assume that all that experience - when marketed on the site - could attract modders, right?

As far as the tutorials and stuff goes, again, all that experience can be put to good use in their appropriate fields to quickly create good tutorials and how-to stuff (especially for difficult/advanced topics). New guys love that kind of stuff. *raises hand*

Not sure if I'm jumping the gun or just stating the obvious here, but just sayin'.

btw: Some of the texturing and sound design programs used by some here work for other games besides JK, right? I'm not too sure on that...
2012-04-26, 8:21 PM #118
Most of the existing textures and such wouldn't do well for a modern game (since they're old and look crappy by comparison), but there's no reason that many textures/sounds would not be cross compatible. And models can be saved in game-agnostic formats for easy porting.
2012-04-26, 8:36 PM #119
Every source asset should always be stored in a game-independent format, and converted to the final format only when needed. This is true no matter what game or mod you are working on.

JK never had any good content management tools.
2012-04-27, 11:34 AM #120
Originally posted by Jon`C:
JK never had any good content management tools.

I just wrote a "content pipeline" tool that watches one or more directories for changes to image files and outputs MATs at another location. Press CTRL-S in Photoshop and you can see the changes in JED. It reads any image format that DevIL can load. The hardest part was dealing with the excessive number of file system events that can occur if an application opens and closes a file handle more than once when writing to it. That took maybe an hour to write and test a queue that deals with it. It also tracks renaming files. I think I spent more time futzing with the GUI in WPF than I did anything else.

I have no idea why no one did this sooner. Even a simple pushbutton build process. Working around MatMaster and Mat16 to see what your content changes look like is so completely braindead.

↑ Up to the top!