Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Massassi Level Pack: Finale of Massassi (DEADLINE EXTENDED, 2/1/2016)
Massassi Level Pack: Finale of Massassi (DEADLINE EXTENDED, 2/1/2016)
2015-02-27, 10:22 AM #41
I think there should be a "Where Are They Now?" feature. You know, with people like Xzero who's rocking it at CryTek, zuljin who is rocking it in his pants, Pugler who's probably a State Senator, Mattias Welander who was killed by a Colorado beetle, Raz who is probably a nude model and Spiral who in 10 years has probably earnt his first billion already - to name a few.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2015-02-27, 12:03 PM #42
Wasn't it recently rumored that JK was going to be rebooted after TFA is released? Can't we hold on to that point?
Nothing to see here, move along.
2015-02-27, 4:10 PM #43
Where do you get these rumors?

SW games are under EA. The question use to be "is this SW game any good?" Now it's "can this SW game be trusted?"
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2015-02-27, 5:39 PM #44
EA is so mod friendly, though.
>>untie shoes
2015-02-27, 6:39 PM #45
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
Where do you get these rumors?

SW games are under EA. The question use to be "is this SW game any good?" Now it's "can this SW game be trusted?"

A while back, after LA was bagged, there was a reveal that some 20 star wars game concepts were being considered. Some of those were:

Star Wars: Rogue Jedi
Star Wars: Jedi Knight III: Brink of Darkness
Star Wars: Jedi Master
Star Wars: Rebel Jedi (or Jedi Rebel)
Star Wars: Jedi Outlaw (same font as Jedi Knight)
Star Wars: Episode VII: Shadows of the Sith (interesting mention)

You can see a lot of people at LA were very interested in doing something to continue with the concept of Jedi Knight, which is arguably one of the most successful Star Wars games they ever published. Then LA got sacked, and EA will continue to make SW games. Now, EA is rebooting Battle Front, obviously because it is the easiest SW game to sell, and Visceral is working on an untitled Star Wars game based on the frostbite 3 engine. I don't think it is too much of stretch, that EA or some other company will reboot or continue Jedi Knight. Thief 4 went through a hiatus and got rebooted (though some did not like the new direction it went in). Why not JK?
2015-02-27, 7:33 PM #46
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
A while back, after LA was bagged, there was a reveal that some 20 star wars game concepts were being considered. Some of those were:

Star Wars: Rogue Jedi
Star Wars: Jedi Knight III: Brink of Darkness
Star Wars: Jedi Master
Star Wars: Rebel Jedi (or Jedi Rebel)
Star Wars: Jedi Outlaw (same font as Jedi Knight)
Star Wars: Episode VII: Shadows of the Sith (interesting mention)

You can see a lot of people at LA were very interested in doing something to continue with the concept of Jedi Knight, which is arguably one of the most successful Star Wars games they ever published. Then LA got sacked, and EA will continue to make SW games. Now, EA is rebooting Battle Front, obviously because it is the easiest SW game to sell, and Visceral is working on an untitled Star Wars game based on the frostbite 3 engine. I don't think it is too much of stretch, that EA or some other company will reboot or continue Jedi Knight. Thief 4 went through a hiatus and got rebooted (though some did not like the new direction it went in). Why not JK?

I have been told personally by an EA engineering director that they want to move all of their business units onto the EA Sports model. Games like Jedi Knight don't fit. And EA has an exclusive contract, so it's not as if Disney can go around them to make one.

It's not happening. Battlefront 2016, 2017, 2018 - sure. But you can't ground-up build a Jedi Knight game once a year.
2015-02-27, 9:03 PM #47
Originally posted by Jon`C:
I'm still working on Gorc but about as quickly as Lucius is working on DarkXL.

Sorry, I've been out of this loop for a while, it seems. Assuming you are not building a statue of our esteemed over-weight Dark Jedi, what is Gorc?
2015-02-27, 9:49 PM #48
Originally posted by Clone Hunter:
Sorry, I've been out of this loop for a while, it seems. Assuming you are not building a statue of our esteemed over-weight Dark Jedi, what is Gorc?

This video is a year old. I also haven't had time to work on it since last summer, so a little bit has changed but honestly not all that much.

Apparently I have some marketing issues.
2015-02-27, 10:23 PM #49
I have been told personally by an EA engineering director that they want to move all of their business units onto the EA Sports model. Games like Jedi Knight don't fit. And EA has an exclusive contract, so it's not as if Disney can go around them to make one.

It's not happening. Battlefront 2016, 2017, 2018 - sure. But you can't ground-up build a Jedi Knight game once a year.

Somehow I just don't think EA will end up doing that, regardless of their current or former intentions. Was this before Riccitiello resigned? Why would they buy an exclusive contract for SW games to only develop Battlefront games (sounds like a huge waste of opportunity for them and Disney mostly). If it ends up being that way, you can be sure Star Wars games will take a big fall, even hardcore fans would be bored of playing rehashes of Battle Front.
2015-02-27, 10:49 PM #50
Somehow I just don't think EA will end up doing that, regardless of their current or former intentions.
You can think whatever you want. EA is a publicly traded corporation, and inside a publicly traded corporation you need to have a strong business case with clearly managed risks. EA's gold standard for low-risk is Sports, and if you want to do something different you're going to have to fight for it.

Quote:
Was this before Riccitiello resigned?
This was about 8 months ago, so well after he resigned. Protip, boards don't like executives and managers who try to change culture, they like executives who can work well within the culture a company already has. So you might see some improvements in level of service, more work to improve their image, and better hours for employees, but the decisions of what products to make and how to make them are absolutely consequences of their internal culture, and that is not going to change.

Quote:
Why would they buy an exclusive contract for SW games to only develop Battlefront games (sounds like a huge waste of opportunity for them and Disney mostly).
Because Star Wars is a license to print money.

Quote:
If it ends up being that way, you can be sure Star Wars games will take a big fall, even hardcore fans would be bored of playing rehashes of Battle Front.
Have you been living under a rock for the last decade? Oh no, a bad Star Wars game, how unprecedented.
2015-02-28, 3:27 AM #51
the 90s are gone forever
2015-02-28, 5:05 AM #52
gg massassi
2015-02-28, 9:02 AM #53
Somehow I just don't think EA will end up doing that, regardless of their current or former intentions. Was this before Riccitiello resigned? Why would they buy an exclusive contract for SW games to only develop Battlefront games (sounds like a huge waste of opportunity for them and Disney mostly). If it ends up being that way, you can be sure Star Wars games will take a big fall, even hardcore fans would be bored of playing rehashes of Battle Front.

The Battlefield series is one of EA's top moneymakers. People buy the living hell out of it, and with each new release they have an opportunity to put out tons of DLC to further mine cash from the public. Battlefront is being developed by DICE, which means it will pretty much be an elaborate Battlefield mod sold as a stand-alone game, which will then have mountains of DLC released for it. You'll get new maps, vehicles, and weapons once a month for about the first six months of the game's release, and then they'll announce the next game in the series. This is what EA does.

They've successfully applied the same business model they've used in sports for years and years to every other type of game. Battlefront will sell, and the inevitable sequels will continue to sell because games like Battlefield and Call of Duty continue to sell year after year regardless of the fact that they're generally rehashes of the prior installment.
>>untie shoes
2015-02-28, 10:02 AM #54
[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/garosaon/smiley/emot-disapprovak_zps2cbb6ef1.png]
2015-02-28, 10:25 AM #55
:( overall to this topic. Sentimentally it's a real shame to see it go. Massassi was an important part of my childhood/early-mid teens and really shaped me as a person. Modding JK (and a couple of other games) taught me about various aspects of computing that ultimately led me into a job as a software developer and in the process of getting a PhD in the field. Without masssassi it's likely that my life wouldn't have turned out this way.

Originally posted by FastGamerr:
I think there should be a "Where Are They Now?" feature. You know, with people like Xzero who's rocking it at CryTek, zuljin who is rocking it in his pants, Pugler who's probably a State Senator, Mattias Welander who was killed by a Colorado beetle, Raz who is probably a nude model and Spiral who in 10 years has probably earnt his first billion already - to name a few.

This is a really neat idea! The problem is, finding the people behind the screen names and actually asking them.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2015-02-28, 10:37 AM #56
Massassi taught me how to not ****post. 2008 was an educational year for me in terms of Internet etiquette. Of course, I've barely spent any time here. When it comes to Grandpa game forums filled with crusty old gamers I prefer DoomWorld.

This video is a year old. I also haven't had time to work on it since last summer, so a little bit has changed but honestly not all that much.

That looks pretty good. I had no idea there was anything like it. Even if it never sees a full light of day it's pretty cool something like this exists at all. Awesome stuff, man.
2015-02-28, 4:27 PM #57
Well, I guess all good things must come to an end eventually. So, when exactly is the plug going to be pulled?
2015-02-28, 6:17 PM #58
Well, I guess all good things must come to an end eventually. So, when exactly is the plug going to be pulled?

It's literally in the first post of this thread.
2015-02-28, 6:50 PM #59
It's literally in the first post of this thread.

I should wear my glasses more.
2015-03-14, 3:17 AM #60
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Honestly Gebohq, if you want, I can just hand the forum over to you and you can host it yourself once I take most of Massassi down. You can then turn it into a NeS-only forum, delete all the other forum sections and just keep the ISB and the forum of love

Fixed

Edit: Also this
[http://forums.massassi.net/vb3/images/themes/bradsh/buttons/reply.gif][http://forums.massassi.net/vb3/images/themes/bradsh/buttons/reply.gif][http://forums.massassi.net/vb3/images/themes/bradsh/buttons/reply.gif][http://forums.massassi.net/vb3/images/themes/bradsh/buttons/reply.gif][http://forums.massassi.net/vb3/images/themes/bradsh/buttons/reply.gif][http://forums.massassi.net/vb3/images/themes/bradsh/buttons/reply.gif][http://forums.massassi.net/vb3/images/themes/bradsh/buttons/reply.gif][http://forums.massassi.net/vb3/images/themes/bradsh/buttons/reply.gif][http://forums.massassi.net/vb3/images/themes/bradsh/buttons/reply.gif][http://forums.massassi.net/vb3/images/themes/bradsh/buttons/reply.gif]
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2015-04-02, 8:10 PM #61
I'd guess it's 1998 since my classic division of Massassians used to be 1998-2000 (Old School), 2001-2003 (Middle School), 2004-2006 New School, 2007-> ("What The Hell's Wrong With You"-School).

That would put me in the "What the Hell's Wrong With You" School. I can't answer that one though. :P
- Paranoia is simply having more information then everyone else -
- Ignorance is bliss, but knowing what you know, would you forget it to go back? -
2015-04-03, 8:56 AM #62
I'd guess it's 1998 since my classic division of Massassians used to be 1998-2000 (Old School), 2001-2003 (Middle School), 2004-2006 New School, 2007-> ("What The Hell's Wrong With You"-School).

(Of course, it's been such a long time since that FGRism that the 2007-2009, 2010-2012 and 2013-2015 generations would probably need a new name. Or should be divided like 2007-2009, 2010-> I dunno)

(MOOBEKI IS AT IT AGAIN)

(TIME WELL SPENT)

(MOOOOG)

****, I joined in 2005. I'll be coming up on ten years pretty soon.
2015-04-04, 2:10 PM #63
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
So, I am taking the existing MLP submission pack pinned at the top and extending the submissions until December 15th, 2015.

However, more importantly:

This will be the final submission for Massassi. All submissions sent to Massassi during this time will be added to the MLP. Once December 15th comes and the pack is compiled, Massassi will no longer accept any new submissions. The website will change into a slightly updated, static archive. The forums will stick around as long as is sensible, but I predict we won't have a reason to keep those around for long either.

I will make a thread near the end of the submission to discuss the final future of Massassi in general. But go ahead and start thinking about what you'd like to see a "dead" Massassi continue on as. Just a static archive, nothing more? Do you really want to keep the community part going at all, do you see value in it? Etc. I'm not making any announcements on that, but I would like input.

I still come back and download old JK mods from time to time, so I'd love to see the files kept up. Would it be possible to get the links to screenshots and stuff working again, or are those gone for good?

I do like the community too, such as it is.
2015-04-04, 2:11 PM #64

I spent half an hour yesterday trying to track down Murc XIII, for some reason. Wanted to see how far he'd come with modeling. Lost the trail around 2006 :(
2015-04-05, 7:52 AM #65
His last posts are from 2012.

Murc[numbarz] reminds me of Shred18, though, who made the JKL->UDK converter in 2012, as well as worked on an original project of his, but that's the last activity I've seen from him. I wonder what happened to those 3D folks in 2012...
2015-04-05, 3:26 PM #66
Originally posted by 'Thrawn[numbarz:
;1189493']I spent half an hour yesterday trying to track down Murc XIII, for some reason. Wanted to see how far he'd come with modeling. Lost the trail around 2006 :(

What sort of modeling are we talking about? Like 3D modeling, miniature modeling, male modeling?
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2015-04-05, 5:10 PM #67
How's it going Kroko? How's life?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2015-04-06, 6:22 AM #68
It's all three of those, Krok-.

I'd forgotten about Murc. His stuff was pretty impressive.
2015-04-06, 8:47 PM #69
I hereby offer to help. Whether it be attempting to revitalize (not so interested in gaming anymore so this one would be more difficult) or simply making things work in a more static way (for example, things like the screenshots script doesn't work anymore) so the site can be considered an archive. I don't have any problems providing hosting or financial resources to keep it up. I'd also like to get others involved so it's more of a community-effort like it was before. I know some people say the community here sucks but I don't buy it. There are a lot of people willing to help and I would like to take advantage of that.
2015-04-07, 1:00 AM #70
Originally posted by Brian:
I know some people say the community here sucks but I don't buy it. There are a lot of people willing to help and I would like to take advantage of that.

Anyone who thinks the community sucks but still comes here now in 2015 has some serious mental issues.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2015-04-07, 8:41 AM #71
Better finish Magrucko 3 then! Level 2 is possibly the coolest thing I have ever made. Fully dynamically lit space ship under attack level~! One more level to go, got till December to do it...
Magrucko Daines and the Crypt of Crola (2007)
Magrucko Daines and the Dark Youth (2010)
Magrucko Daines and the Vertical City (2016)
2015-04-07, 9:48 AM #72
I hereby offer to help. Whether it be attempting to revitalize (not so interested in gaming anymore so this one would be more difficult) or simply making things work in a more static way (for example, things like the screenshots script doesn't work anymore) so the site can be considered an archive. I don't have any problems providing hosting or financial resources to keep it up. I'd also like to get others involved so it's more of a community-effort like it was before. I know some people say the community here sucks but I don't buy it. There are a lot of people willing to help and I would like to take advantage of that.

The community "here" isn't the problem.
2015-04-07, 3:51 PM #73

I would appreciate this, the archive of levels here is organized I would like it if the searching and SS's worked again. I am not a web developer but I would be willing to help if I can in anyway. This year we have seen an up rise in JK games with some promoting I did on the JK Facebook page. We even had a game where the scoreboard was so big you had to click ~ 3 times to get through it. While this site's forum doesn't have anything to do with JK anymore per say the main page and level archive are a part of JK History that I would like to see stay around. Especially the other sites hosted by massassi like Admiral's Command Chamber.
(JKLE_Cougar) from JK MP Community
discord.me/jediknightdarkforces2
2015-04-07, 4:46 PM #74
Like I said in my first post, no matter what, in some capacity, Massassi will be up as a static archive at minimum. The questionable part is if anything beyond that was desired (forums, etc). If someone wants to try and revamp the site and do stuff like that, that is what I'm asking about.

TACC will also remain of course.

We'll also have a torrent of all the files as well.
2015-04-08, 6:34 AM #75
Any chance of a "Best of Massassi" type pack? Some combination of the highest reviewed, most downloaded, highest voted upon current members picking the best 5-10 levels for JK/JO/JA or something along those lines?
2015-04-08, 8:28 AM #76
Originally posted by Jodo_Kast_BHG:
Any chance of a "Best of Massassi" type pack? Some combination of the highest reviewed, most downloaded, highest voted upon current members picking the best 5-10 levels for JK/JO/JA or something along those lines?

I'm not sure such a pack would really be representative of the true "bests" of Massassi. Many later files received far less downloads/reviews and yet were much higher quality.

If someone(s) want to do a hand-picked package for that, I'll host it.
2015-04-08, 8:50 AM #77
That's a good point, which is why I meant a combination of the above parameters. Hand-picked would be the way to go, maybe using # of downloads relative to others at the time of release as a way to get through the front door? In any case, I think it would be a good thing to have a "Best Of" level pack one way or another.
2015-04-09, 7:27 AM #78
In any case, I think you should tell Zeq and/or Giraffe to find another host for JKHub. The rotting corpse of Jedi Knight (editing) has attracted a rather notable amount of vermin on it lately, so they might as well take care of their own waste.
2015-04-09, 6:57 PM #79
The rotting corpse of Jedi Knight (editing) has attracted a rather notable amount of vermin on it lately

The vermin has always been there. From day one. But, now, it's the only thing that's left.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2015-04-09, 8:13 PM #80

Because Star Wars is a license to print money.

The fact that the first two Battlefronts were massively successful despite being terrible, and essentially a reskin of a far better game that was a full generation behind the state of the art, proves this.

↑ Up to the top!