Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I am so ticked off right now. (Gay Debate)
I am so ticked off right now. (Gay Debate)
2008-03-07, 10:51 AM #161
Originally posted by JM:
That's because it was written by Israelites, and the Israelites identified themselves through circumcision. No other nation in the region practiced it so thoroughly at the time.

Does that mean you'd whip out your cock at the border to prove you were a citizen?
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-03-07, 10:53 AM #162
Originally posted by Emon:
Does that mean you'd whip out your cock at the border to prove you were a citizen?

[http://cdejarnatt.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/rooster.jpg]
2008-03-07, 10:54 AM #163
BAM
2008-03-07, 11:03 AM #164
I hate Martin Luther because he got the ball rolling on the notion that the laity should be able to understand and discuss theology and religious matters. Because of that, we've got this stupid discussion here.
:master::master::master:
2008-03-07, 11:08 AM #165
God just allowed their sin to run its course as an act of judgment.

"received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion." The perversion being the indecent acts that they committed, which reflects a NT disapproval of homosexual acts. The penalty wasn't being gay, but rather, this reference is talking about how men chose to reject God because they wanted to live in their perversion. God went ahead and let them reject him for their sin. It's not unlike a parent that lets a child do something wrong (because the child refuses to obey), and then the child experiences the consequences of making that choice.
2008-03-07, 1:02 PM #166
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
Yeah, that's a good way to rationalize self-righteousness with a philosophical position in which "righteous" has no meaning. It must be name calling.

This is stupid. There's no point in making the effort to put forth detailed arguments, because they've all been done before. Nothing changes. It doesn't matter that objections were answered and points were made; after the thread goes away we're all back to zero. I admit when I first joined, my arguments were nothing short of retarded, but my latest takes on this position just go unanswered and it's like they never happened. It would be different if someone had even once put forth a reasonable answer to my objections but it just hasn't happened. Ever. It all comes down to telling me exactly how moral behavior patterns come about, which has nothing to do with weather they have any sort of rational imperative. Obviously they do exist, that's not the issue. The issue is weather they have any rational basis out side of some kind of transcendental imperative.

People think "arbitrary morality" means "situationaly/sociality relevant morality". The simply describes an irrational basis for social interaction. The second invokes some sort of transcendental imperative.

Let me elaborate on what I mean by arbitrary morality. For the sake of argument I am assuming a universe with out the supernatural. For our purposes we have two different categories for actions. One benefits society, one destroys it, and everything we do falls somewhere between the two. The first is generally considered "good" and the other "bad". Or to put in another way, one propagates the curiously low amount of entropy on our speck in space, and the other acts to raise it. "Good" people put the good of society above their own personal compulsions, and people who only act only to directly benefit themselves are considered deranged psychopaths.

Religions rise up as a side effect of our evolving societal nature. They cause members of a society to act in unison toward a common goal, but that goal is not based on a rational mechanical understanding of the universe and is vastly inferior a society of individuals informed by such an understanding. People who cling to a fundamentalist moral system are simply obsolete.

The point I'm getting at is that we're simply stating facts. Different people display different behavior patterns for what ever reason. So what? Entropy rises, entropy falls. The ocean is blue, the grass is green. Some people rape little girls, some people hate gays, some people find cures for cancer. Ideas like unjust, cruel or immoral loose any real meaning. You can arbitrarily attach any label you like to any given behavior pattern. Good and bad fit just as well as yellow and green.

Some probably do. The biblical basis for homosexuality being wrong is more generally found in Romans, but that's beside the point. Old Testament law was comprised of the Civil, Ceremonial and Moral law. The Civil and Ceremonial law was fulfilled with the coming of Christ, Israel no longer being the chosen nation of God. What constitutes Civil, Ceremonial and Moral law is a not so simple however, though most of it is pretty clear if you take the time to study it. The point is, what you call cherry picking, is in fact much more complected.

I don't understand why Obi is getting so much abuse for an entirely (and uncharacteristically) coherent and sensible argument. It's wrong, but it's not stupid.

I more or less agree with your description of society. I take issue with the labels 'good' and 'bad', the situation is obviously more complex and is dominated by wealth and power and various other things but I think you understand that as well.

However, just because we do not have some absolute frame of reference on which to rationalise morality doesn't mean we cannot rationalise morality at all. Moral relativism does not suggest that all possible opinions are equally valid. Then we'd be lost in a virtually infinite sea of conficting viewpoints. I think we've been through this discussion already.

The Bible purely represents the societal norms and traditions of thousands of years ago, which was a brutal and unjust society. You sum this up quite nicely yourself:
'People who cling to a fundamentalist moral system are simply obsolete.'

We've had thousands of years of great philosophers shaping our views of morality and understanding the complexities of morality. We've moved on, the Bible hasn't.

As a Physicist, I take particular issue with:
'Entropy rises, entropy falls. '
On this forum, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!

Quote:

"received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion." The perversion being the indecent acts that they committed, which reflects a NT disapproval of homosexual acts. The penalty wasn't being gay, but rather, this reference is talking about how men chose to reject God because they wanted to live in their perversion. God went ahead and let them reject him for their sin. It's not unlike a parent that lets a child do something wrong (because the child refuses to obey), and then the child experiences the consequences of making that choice.

I simply find it disgusting how you can casually refer to homosexuality as a 'perversion' and think nothing of it.

'it's what the Bible says! meh!'. **** the Bible.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2008-03-07, 1:37 PM #167
Originally posted by stat:
I hate Martin Luther because he got the ball rolling on the notion that the laity should be able to understand and discuss theology and religious matters. Because of that, we've got this stupid discussion here.

Shut up. Martin Luther could pwn your *** with using only a nail.

Also, his intentions were set to other theologians at the University of Wittenberg.
2008-03-07, 2:13 PM #168
Originally posted by Axis:

What you just said sounds great. That means that nobody else was running around telling them that they did wrong and that they were all going to Hell. If the acts were wrong to that person, then they paid the consequences all by themselves.

Why can't the "GOD HATES FAGS" Christians follow the clear example laid out here by God and let the gays experience whatever consequences they happen bring upon themselves? God didn't need help from any humans to get his point across then, and he doesn't now.
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2008-03-07, 2:16 PM #169
I love Martin Luther, because he was a German that nobody could set on fire.
2008-03-07, 2:28 PM #170
true, your average german is quite prone to spontaneous combustion.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2008-03-07, 2:28 PM #171
Quote:
Why can't religious people follow the clear example laid out here by God and let the gays experience whatever consequences they happen bring upon themselves? God didn't need help from any humans to get his point across then, and he doesn't now.
Find a label that fits, 'religious' and 'Christian' don't. Assuming that all religious people, or all Christians, are bigots - and that IS what you do when you use that label to refer to bigots - MAKES YOU A BIGOT.

Do you got that?
2008-03-07, 2:35 PM #172
Hating on a group of people because a 2000 year old book tells you to makes you a bigot.
2008-03-07, 2:44 PM #173
Hating on a group of people because a 2000 year old book tells you means you didn't read the book.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2008-03-07, 2:52 PM #174
If a gay man hit on me, I'd RAPE him!!! :argh:
2008-03-07, 2:53 PM #175
Originally posted by stat:

You could just not click on the thread and not participate.
Pissed Off?
2008-03-07, 3:01 PM #176
Originally posted by saberopus:
If a gay man hit on me, I'd RAPE him!!! :argh:

It's not gay if it's angry sex.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
2008-03-07, 4:01 PM #177
Originally posted by Rob:
Hating on a group of people because a 2000 year old book tells you to makes you a bigot.

Hating a group of people because a 2000 year old book tells them things also makes one a bigot.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2008-03-07, 4:06 PM #178
Does hating bigots make you a bigot?
omnia mea mecum porto
2008-03-07, 4:07 PM #179
Originally posted by JM:
Find a label that fits, 'religious' and 'Christian' don't. Assuming that all religious people, or all Christians, are bigots - and that IS what you do when you use that label to refer to bigots - MAKES YOU A BIGOT.

Do you got that?

First, I'll grant that my wording may have been carelessly broad. Is it more acceptable now?

Second, I was not implying that all "religious" people are bigots. Even so, the GOD HATES FAGS people are religious by definition. The debate in this thread is overwhelmingly about Christian views towards homosexuality.

Last, I question your use of the word "bigot."
Quote:
Bigot: a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

I don't really see where you got bigot from my previous post, and I really don't think that "bigot" applies the way you're using it. See the second part of this post. I can be frustrated by a group of people, US congressmen for instance, but that in itself doesn't make me a bigot. My being frustrated with the actions of a specific subset of Christians is no different.
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2008-03-07, 4:20 PM #180
The part that makes you a bigot is when you assign the traits of that subgroup to the entire group.
2008-03-07, 4:23 PM #181
You are confusing stereotype and bigot. There is a difference. "Bigot" implies that I show hatred or intolerance towards the whole group, which I don't.
2008-03-07, 4:24 PM #182
Yeah, way to dodge the bullet, Sarn.

Don't get the wrong impression. I don't hate you. I rather like you actually. I just think you're terribly misguided and kind of a bigot. What bothers me most isn't even your ridiculous views but the very clear fact that you are unwilling to challenge them. This is evidenced by not only this thread but many others.
Ok, I'll respond to this for two reasons. First, you have a misconception about how I act, and second, you weren't an *** this time.

So, I rather like you too, Emon. I'm glad we're friends. :) But you're wrong about me not being willing to challenge my views. If I ever think I may be wrong about something, then I'll do the research necessary to clarify my belief. However, I'm not going to sit here and argue with people about this stuff for the following reason: These sorts of issues do not really matter in the grand scheme of my salvation. I'm quite sure that when I get to heaven, God is not going to look at me and say "Sorry Sarn, You thought homosexuality was a sin, but really it's not. I know it's a confusing issue, but you should have put more effort into it. Off to hell with you." I guess this is dodging the bullet, to some degree. But frankly, I don't enjoy getting caught up in these unimportant issues when I could be doing something more productive.

So, that said... I personally believe homosexuality is a sin. Regardless of whether or not it's a chosen lifestyle or there's a genetic predisposition, I will always believe it's a sin, because I've *already* done the biblical research on the subject. It's important also to note though, that I believe treating someone inappropriately because they struggle with a certain sin is MUCH worse than doing that sin. And thus, I don't condone bigotry, and it saddens me to hear that you think I act that way. I treat everyone equally regardless of whether they succumb to homosexuality or not (ask Vinny if I've ever been mean to him, or treated him cruelly because of his sexual preference, if you don't believe me), because I know that I am guilty of sins of different nature, but of equal magnitude, and it is God's job to convict the sinner of the wrong, not mine. (He's a lot better at it.)

Lastly Emon, thank you for toning down your attitude with your more recent post. I do have a tendency to take unpopular positions on these issues, but that doesn't mean I haven't considered other possibilities. Either I've 1) already done the research and formulated my opinion of a subject or I 2) haven't, and say as much when I discuss it. :p If the 2nd, then I won't take a clear position. For example, you may hear me say "I don't think homosexuality is genetic because of..." but you will not hear me say "homosexuality is obviously not genetic because of..."
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2008-03-07, 4:35 PM #183
Originally posted by 'Thrawn[numbarz:
;903527']Yes?

oh also.. regarding the issue of God punishing people by turning them homosexual and the apparant "proof" in Romans:

I think whoever is getting that out of the passage is misreading it. Basically what's going on there is that the men and women are saying "We don't want to follow god's law, so we're gonna go our own way." and God is letting them do it. He's not causing them to sin. He's allowing them to. God is not going to force his will on people that don't want it.

Look at the actual wording:

"Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts."

Now imagine God's placed a wall of protection between His people and sinful desires. He asks in return is that they give their lives to Him, fully. They don't. So he takes that wall of protection away and basically says "Fine, go your own way, but don't expect me to waste my time with you."

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2008-03-07, 4:47 PM #184
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
Ok, I'll respond to this for two reasons. First, you have a misconception about how I act, and second, you weren't an *** this time.

So, I rather like you too, Emon. I'm glad we're friends. :) But you're wrong about me not being willing to challenge my views. If I ever think I may be wrong about something, then I'll do the research necessary to clarify my belief. However, I'm not going to sit here and argue with people about this stuff for the following reason: These sorts of issues do not really matter in the grand scheme of my salvation. I'm quite sure that when I get to heaven, God is not going to look at me and say "Sorry Sarn, You thought homosexuality was a sin, but really it's not. I know it's a confusing issue, but you should have put more effort into it. Off to hell with you." I guess this is dodging the bullet, to some degree. But frankly, I don't enjoy getting caught up in these unimportant issues when I could be doing something more productive.

So, that said... I personally believe homosexuality is a sin. Regardless of whether or not it's a chosen lifestyle or there's a genetic predisposition, I will always believe it's a sin, because I've *already* done the biblical research on the subject. It's important also to note though, that I believe treating someone inappropriately because they struggle with a certain sin is MUCH worse than doing that sin. And thus, I don't condone bigotry, and it saddens me to hear that you think I act that way. I treat everyone equally regardless of whether they succumb to homosexuality or not (ask Vinny if I've ever been mean to him, or treated him cruelly because of his sexual preference, if you don't believe me), because I know that I am guilty of sins of different nature, but of equal magnitude, and it is God's job to convict the sinner of the wrong, not mine. (He's a lot better at it.)

Lastly Emon, thank you for toning down your attitude with your more recent post. I do have a tendency to take unpopular positions on these issues, but that doesn't mean I haven't considered other possibilities. Either I've 1) already done the research and formulated my opinion of a subject or I 2) haven't, and say as much when I discuss it. :p If the 2nd, then I won't take a clear position. For example, you may hear me say "I don't think homosexuality is genetic because of..." but you will not hear me say "homosexuality is obviously not genetic because of..."

So you believe homosexuality is a sin because it says so in the Bible, but you believe that treating people unfairly is a much bigger sin? Where in the Bible does it say that?
From my understanding, there are two degrees of sin. There is a rebellion against God, which is the worst kind of sin; and there is not adhering to the dietary and traditional guidelines of the Bible, which is a lesser sin.
Homosexuality is the former kind of sin, a rebellion against God. How can there be a sin any worse than that? Even if treating a sinner unfairly is a sin (which is probably is), how is that worse than rebelling against God?

Moreover, how can you justify having 'some' morals supported by the Bible, and 'some other' morals supported by the norms of society as now?
2008-03-07, 4:56 PM #185
Well, first of all, Mort-Hog, sin is sin. Regardless. There is (to my knowledge) no evidence to support that there are different degrees of sin in the Bible.

Second, yes, it is a sin to treat someone cruelly because if their sin. Ever heard the phrase "turn the other cheek"? That comes from something Jesus encouraged his disciples to do. He said (paraphrasing) "if someone hits you in the cheek, don't get mad. Instead turn your other cheek to them as well." Basically don't get mad and try to punish or correct. Leave that up to God, and trust Him to keep you safe from others' sin.

(Also, I see where I said it was "MUCH worse" above. For clarification, that's my own personal opinion. Not something that I've specifically read in the bible, and I apologize if there was any confusion there.)

2008-03-07, 5:03 PM #186
These sorts of issues do not really matter in the grand scheme of my salvation.

That makes sense and I as a former Christian I fully understand it.

It's important also to note though, that I believe treating someone inappropriately because they struggle with a certain sin is MUCH worse than doing that sin.

That's good to hear.

And thus, I don't condone bigotry, and it saddens me to hear that you think I act that way.

Bigotry is the WotM and probably not the one to use here. But you still see others' lifestyles, which aren't even their own choice, as "wrong" which is what bothers me. You may tolerate homosexuals but you don't respect their lifestyle and that's what I have a problem with. Because to me, the reason you have for not respecting said lifestyle is arcane, illogical and born out of bigotry by people who wrote the Bible a few thousand years ago.
2008-03-07, 5:27 PM #187
hahahaha, people who have strong opinions about a subject they are not personally affected by and therefore have no reason to have a strong opinion about
2008-03-07, 6:26 PM #188
Bigotry is the WotM and probably not the one to use here. But you still see others' lifestyles, which aren't even their own choice, as "wrong" which is what bothers me. You may tolerate homosexuals but you don't respect their lifestyle and that's what I have a problem with. Because to me, the reason you have for not respecting said lifestyle is arcane, illogical and born out of bigotry by people who wrote the Bible a few thousand years ago.

Perhaps.. But it's still my prerogative to believe it for whatever reason I choose is it not? As long as I'm not persecuting people because of their different beliefs (which I don't believe I do).

2008-03-07, 7:01 PM #189
Originally posted by Jon`C:
hahahaha, people who have strong opinions about a subject they are not personally affected by and therefore have no reason to have a strong opinion about

Maybe I am gay. Maybe I struggle daily with my intense attraction to your intense manlineness and intellect. O how will I cope! Curséd Biblicans.
2008-03-07, 8:29 PM #190
Originally posted by Roach:
Does hating bigots make you a bigot?

Possibly.
2008-03-08, 1:12 AM #191
As long as I'm not persecuting people because of their different beliefs (which I don't believe I do).

At the end of the day this is what really matters. If you really believe that you are not doing so, and are self-aware enough to make sure you aren't, that's all we can really expect, and that's fine. :)
2008-03-08, 9:37 AM #192
Originally posted by saberopus:
that's all we can really expect, and that's fine. :)

And sadly, for some, it's not.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2008-03-08, 9:39 AM #193
Originally posted by Jon`C:

I'm indirectly affected through friends, and since when does one need to be personally affected to care about basic civil liberties?
2008-03-08, 10:11 AM #194
[http://www.wondermark.com/comics/051.gif]
2008-03-08, 3:42 PM #195
I'm indirectly affected through friends, and since when does one need to be personally affected to care about basic civil liberties?

Seriously.
2008-03-08, 3:50 PM #196

(Hint: Durr, I'm talking about the people who are against homosexuality.)
2008-03-08, 4:11 PM #197
You weren't very clear in that. The rest of us have strong opinions, and most of us are straight, which means it doesn't really effect us either.
2008-03-08, 4:25 PM #198
(civil rights issues impact us all)
2008-03-08, 5:34 PM #199
Indeed
2008-03-08, 6:16 PM #200
(I'm continuing the pattern by putting this in parenthesis)

↑ Up to the top!