Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I am so ticked off right now. (Gay Debate)
I am so ticked off right now. (Gay Debate)
2008-03-08, 7:08 PM #201
Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
However, just because we do not have some absolute frame of reference on which to rationalise morality doesn't mean we cannot rationalise morality at all. Moral relativism does not suggest that all possible opinions are equally valid. Then we'd be lost in a virtually infinite sea of conficting viewpoints. I think we've been through this discussion already.

What do you mean by valid? It sounds like somewhere you're trying to attach some sort of meaning to different viewpoints beyond their mere existence. Where is your your criteria for doing so?

I'm not saying that the thousands of viewpoints on morality would be equally valid. I'm saying that they have no meaning. If anything, they would all be equally invalid.
Quote:
The Bible purely represents the societal norms and traditions of thousands of years ago, which was a brutal and unjust society. You sum this up quite nicely yourself:
'People who cling to a fundamentalist moral system are simply obsolete.'

True, this is exactly what I would believe if I was an atheist. Atheism is very appealing to me because I don't have to rely on anything but what I can personally reason and observe. It gives you a very comforting sense of control.
Quote:
We've had thousands of years of great philosophers shaping our views of morality and understanding the complexities of morality. We've moved on, the Bible hasn't.

Moved, but where to? We're going in circles. We're dealing with a relative quantity, but we have no context. It's as if we were in a space ship, but the universe was totally empty. You can fire your engines as you want, you never really get anywhere because there's no where to go.
Quote:
As a Physicist, I take particular issue with:
'Entropy rises, entropy falls. '
On this forum, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!

True, but I'm talking about earth, which is an open system. I'm sure you know how that goes, after dealing with the very poor entropy arguments against evolution.

Quote:
I simply find it disgusting how you can casually refer to homosexuality as a 'perversion' and think nothing of it.

'it's what the Bible says! meh!'. **** the Bible.

Again, what does disgusting mean? Is a Pentium II disgusting?

↑ Up to the top!