Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Doom 3.... your thoughts.
Doom 3.... your thoughts.
2004-08-01, 2:13 PM #1
Vote!

I'm not too bothered about it... a game is only a game, yet a lot of people are getting excited to a scary degree about the impending release of the title.... i'll buy it once 99% of people playing it say its friggin awesome, i'm not just gonna throw £40 away on anything.

I think i got most general opinions covered there, if not, please tell me your thoughts... cheers.

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.
2004-08-01, 2:17 PM #2
Well, its the third doom game, so we might as well capitalise on the lack of original ideas by celebrating it ourselves!

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.
2004-08-01, 2:17 PM #3
I cant wait any longer. There is an awesome post here by someone that already beat the game. No spoilers, go take a look at it. Makes me want the game even more, and I think we are all in for one hell of a ride [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
ZGPC
2004-08-01, 2:17 PM #4
How many Doom 3 threads do we need?

------------------
For a healty meal, eat mashed potatoes, peas, and catloaf.
Massassi's cuttin' into my free time, man.

Valuable Life Lesson: Frog + Potato Gun = Blindness
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-08-01, 2:40 PM #5
Won't buy it. Comp can't handle it.

Yet.

------------------
"Dalton, that pie just moved of it's own accord."

"You must be mistaken, Tess. A pie can't move."
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2004-08-01, 2:41 PM #6
Won't but it. Only have laptops.

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

--------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-08-01, 2:42 PM #7
[Discussing illegal activities is a surefire way to become an admin!]

[This message has been edited by Sine Nomen (edited August 01, 2004).]
2004-08-01, 2:43 PM #8
"I dont care". The game doesnt really appeal to me...

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq!
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-08-01, 2:45 PM #9
Yeah, big deal. I'm tired of mindless shoot'em-ups. Shoot'em-ups are fine, just... add something more to it to stimulate the noodle.

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-08-01, 2:48 PM #10
Yes
In fact I get it tomorrow.

Pagewizard: YOU ARE SO FUNNY LOL! I WISH I COULD BE AZ COOL AS U! I WISH I NEW HOW TO GET DOOM FOR FR33 LOL/

------------------
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2004-08-01, 2:48 PM #11
I will not be buying it not because I don't like FPS, my computer can't handle it, or don't have enough money, but because I'm a chicken****. I can't even finish Far Cry.

------------------
Kieran: The reason I put a link to it is because she is in underwear and I know the admins are touchy on that.
Yecti: Jaiph will touch himself for hours if he so much as smells a woman's underwear
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-08-01, 2:50 PM #12
God Pagewizard, I hope you didnt (or dont) actually download a pirated version [http://forums.massassi.net/html/mad.gif]

------------------
ZGPC
2004-08-01, 2:54 PM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by finity5:
God Pagewizard, I hope you didnt (or dont) actually download a pirated version [http://forums.massassi.net/html/mad.gif]

</font>

I just posted a picture, I never once said that I downloaded it. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif] Besides, if i did, did oyu think i would even mention it here?

A -2 day release is tempting, though.

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited August 01, 2004).]
2004-08-01, 2:56 PM #14
I know, thats why I said "or dont". [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

It just really pisses me off that this game has been availible to a very few people for less than a week, and it is already pirated. And from my knowledge, was supposed to be unpiratable(is that a word [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]), or pretty damn near it.
------------------
ZGPC

[This message has been edited by finity5 (edited August 01, 2004).]
2004-08-01, 3:00 PM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Echoman:
Won't but it. Only have laptops.

</font>

I wish my mom had consulted me before buying the computer she eventually gave to me. Stupid integrated laptop video card. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
"Windows [n.]
A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition."
That painting was a gift, Todd. I'm taking it with me.
2004-08-01, 3:06 PM #16
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by finity5:

It just really pisses me off that this game has been availible to a very few people for less than a week, and it is already pirated. And from my knowledge, was supposed to be unpiratable(is that a word [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]), or pretty damn near it.
</font>

Hell, members of the big release groups work for the game companies, so things get ripped off before they hit the store shelves.

Btw, nothing is unpirateable. Everything can be cracked. Even steam will be compromised sooner or later. Its inevitable.

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.
2004-08-01, 6:43 PM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:

</font>

Same here. I also find it interesting that the "I don't care's" are winning so far.

------------------
Put me in the hospital for nerves and then they had to commit me,
You told them all I was crazy,
They cut off my legs now I'm an amputee, God damn you.
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-08-01, 6:46 PM #18
i dunno, I don't want to get it unless I can constantly blast "Hey ya" and not miss critical dialogue

------------------
[url="http://gianturl.com?LslqYgMc,,zP3dd,3F9p8Zk,0,9LHkg7DS4bZW1Z4,PvH78r9v2svr7X,S,2cpBF,L
Hh3l2,6WPxP4,m28fBMzy4Rh,7xvzFHg4qS7k,qzG2K,7q6YSCXqP5x3,,1,,m5mC,gMrw4Xcx7,,,tg
LQw,F,J,p5X5,mCD7,p4fCJh9bc5kw,vmqWsl2h0V,6VRsy4b,9G6H,6,qdtM9PZ,ls,s0,N1rjwJ3hkwfr
nmfDV8G5J,,jT6bt3c7vh4,DVMkf3qX8dcz9yGnHkrr1hT8P8R4cC6Fx0qdl2,hKCH,b5wJY,,cVt,LPRx
RunXrp"]http://gianturl.com?LslqYgMc,,zP3dd,3F9p8Zk,0,9LHkg7DS4bZW1Z4,PvH78r9v2svr7X,S,2cpBF,L
Hh3l2,6WPxP4,m28fBMzy4Rh,7xvzFHg4qS7k,qzG2K,7q6YSCXqP5x3,,1,,m5mC,gMrw4Xcx7,,,tg
LQw,F,J,p5X5,mCD7,p4fCJh9bc5kw,vmqWsl2h0V,6VRsy4b,9G6H,6,qdtM9PZ,ls,s0,N1rjwJ3hkwfr
nmfDV8G5J,,jT6bt3c7vh4,DVMkf3qX8dcz9yGnHkrr1hT8P8R4cC6Fx0qdl2,hKCH,b5wJY,,cVt,LPRx
RunXrp[/url]
He's Watching you
…../|,-‘`¯¯`\(o)_\,----,,,_………
…( `\(o),,_/` ¯ : o : : : o`-, ….
2004-08-01, 6:55 PM #19
Doom 3 is gonna be absolutely awesome. I've been feeling that sickness of excitement ever since I first heard it had gone gold. I am, I'll admit, obsessed with it to an unhealthy degree. Of course, I only have been waiting for more than four years, now that it's finally hear it's nothing short of unreal. Everything I've heard indicates that Doom 3 will be a deeper, more immersive game than any before.

------------------
I bet you think that's funny, don't you.
I bet you think that's funny, don't you.
2004-08-01, 7:42 PM #20
Not excited at all. Comp can't handle it.

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-08-01, 7:54 PM #21
Quote:

</font>

------------------
<landfish> FastGamerr > Satan
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-08-01, 7:58 PM #22
i was excited when my comp couldn't handle it... now i'm EXTREMELY excited since i'm getting it practically for free thank to a mail in rebate from signing up for broadband...

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-08-01, 11:14 PM #23
I'm waiting for the Linux-client.

------------------
Sorry for the lousy English
Sorry for the lousy German
2004-08-02, 3:43 AM #24
I'll wait until the demo comes out like I always do with any game I haven't played.

-- SavageX

------------------
"...and if you don't like that, then you need to be slugged in the face repeatedly, until my hands are soaked in blood. Have a nice day!"
http://geocities.com/savagex378
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2004-08-02, 4:04 AM #25
I'm waiting for the Mac version.

------------------
To myself I surrender to the one I'll never please.
But I still try to run on.
You know I still try to run on. But it's all or none.

Eddie Vedder
former entrepreneur
2004-08-02, 4:06 AM #26
Sine: Posting smart*** comments when editing someone's post is unnecessary.

[This message has been edited by Morfildor (edited August 03, 2004).]
2004-08-02, 5:12 AM #27
I <3 Doom III. It may not be for everyone, but it's still awesome

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-02, 5:53 AM #28
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Impi:
I'm waiting for the Linux-client.

</font>

I thought it was Linux native?

PS. If any of you linux gurus want to help me out, I've been having extreme difficulties getting my Powercolor Radeon 9600 PRO to run. I'd appreciate some assistance. mike19@gmail.com
2004-08-02, 6:19 AM #29
The linux client will be avalibile for download via id ftp a few days after the release.

------------------
Your humble opinion is wrong.
2004-08-02, 6:41 AM #30
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Correction:
Yeah, big deal. I'm tired of mindless shoot'em-ups. Shoot'em-ups are fine, just... add something more to it to stimulate the noodle.

</font>

What makes you think it's mindless? The reviews certainly don't indicate that.

I'm going to get it once my new CPU, mobo, and RAM arrive and are set up. I'll be in for graphical goodiness

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-08-02, 2:50 PM #31
Couldn't give a rat's *** ....
"When it's time for this planet to die, you'll understand that you know absolutely nothing." — Bugenhagen
2004-08-02, 4:14 PM #32
Eh. Looks cool, but I'm in no particular hurry. I may pick it up some other time. Wait to hear all the sides of the story.

------------------
Map-Review | My Portfolio | The Matrix: Unplugged

Banks and banks of humming machinery! I've never seen so many knobs. We're going to have to do something, Charlie! Try pushing that button there. No? How about that one? No, not that one either. I know! I'll try pushing this one. Hold my hat will you? Good fellow.
2004-08-02, 4:48 PM #33
As far as the game goes, I can't really say whether it lives up to the hype or not. I wasn't really looking forward to it, but I was interested in seeing how the next-gen FPS war would turn out.

But I'm slightly dissatisfied with the performance.

My specs:
Barton 2500+
512 MB PC3200
9600 PRO

I run it at 800x600 at medium detail. It does look great, the effects are cool, but it is occasionally sputters (still playable), and the jaggies are AWFUL. I'm going to try running it at 1024x760 with low detail, it might be preferable... The graphics in UT2k4 are nowhere near as realistic, but everything seems more smooth and polished. The one thing that is incredibly impressive is the shadowing. It seems overdone, but the effect is truly superb, like nothing I've ever seen before. (except in the STALKER videos.)
2004-08-02, 6:58 PM #34
I'm running it at 1024x768 medium detail, and it looks/runs excellent. And that's on my GeForce 4 Ti4200.

------------------
Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
2004-08-02, 7:42 PM #35
Quote:

</font>

GBK... master of controversy, lol
no seriously, It may look really pretty, and be scary, but I can think of better ways to spend my money... I agree geebs (can I call you geebs?)

------------------
flirbnic has a signature
"i've seen alot of kids (i'm 35) come on here and ask for advice about girls. look at potato here. he makes a tape and sings to a girl. some girls will laugh in your face, some behind your back and then some might love you for it. potato is a man. a man with a girl. -Darth Evad
2004-08-02, 7:50 PM #36
I'm not sure my computer could take it, so I think I'll end up getting it for XBox. *dodges the projectiles being thrown at him*

------------------
"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity."

-Albert Einstein
2004-08-02, 8:12 PM #37
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SG1_129:
I'm not sure my computer could take it, so I think I'll end up getting it for XBox. *dodges the projectiles being thrown at him*

</font>

i'll also be getting the xbox version eventually... but i'm going PC first

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-08-02, 10:14 PM #38
Someone had to point it out eventually...the blasphemy of ign:

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The gameplay is pretty much what I expected it to be. You travel through mostly linear levels killing demons and searching for keys. To be fair, the level design is so well done that the levels do not suffer from what I like to call the "Jedi Knight 2 syndrome." In Jedi Knight 2, the levels felt fake and were mostly random rooms connected to each other. In DOOM 3, everything seems to be as it should. Even though one hallway may be broken up, you will always know why. In fact, the doors almost always have a panel you can look at that will tell you if it's broken or locked. In one example, a hallway was in ruins, but you could hear the chatter of the possessed marines through the hanging wires and broken tiles. This sort of thing really helps keep you immersed in the world without frustrating or annoying you. </font>

http://pc.ign.com/articles/535/535190p1.html

------------------
This signiture agrees completely with the previously posted signuture. To attempt copyright infringement upon this signiture is a violation of any copyright laws stated for the previously stated signiture. By acknowledging this signiture, you acknowledge the previous signiture.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2004-08-02, 11:13 PM #39
It's like they took the best of System Shock 2, mixed it with the best of Doom 2, stuck it in the most advanced graphics engine with the best game artwork ever created, but somehow - somehow - managed to forget about the gameplay.

Yeah, it's a cool game. It has a nice atmosphere that really draws you in.

Unfortunately, at the same time, it's frustrating and horrible. In their attempts to create a realistic and compelling underground facility they managed to create an entire game where absolutely every level and room looks virtually identical. Ordinarily this wouldn't be a problem, but in Doom 3 everything is very very dark and what little lighting there is tends to sway to and fro. If you manage to choke back the bile and fight off the omnipresent threat of epileptic seizures you'll begin to realize how fortunate you are that you rarely have to venture into a gigantic plastic labyrinth in the real world.

But no, don't let my comment above deter you from playing this game. Clearly, since this is a forum for the Jedi Knight series, at least some of us must enjoy Raven's patented level design techniques of "hidden passageways", "billions of unopenable doors" and "poor lighting". In fact, you may enjoy the game even more - since the lighting is all dynamic, you never know when all of the lights are randomly going to flick off and 50 imps are going to spawn. But don't worry, there's always the cheap flashlight you can spend a couple of seconds switching out for your weapon so you can see the target. It's not like the time it takes to switch to a flashlight and back is roughly 300% of the time it takes for an imp to spawn, close to your position and rape you to death.

I really want to see what happens in the end of the game. I want to see the storyline, I want to see the cutscenes, but I just don't want to have to slog through any more headache-inducing mechanical nightmares with disco lighting. And I'm only in Alpha level 3.
2004-08-03, 2:13 AM #40
Sine: Knock it off with your immaturity. You're an admin. and I expect you to enforce the rules rather than editing posts and putting in flamebait.

↑ Up to the top!