Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Doom 3.... your thoughts.
Doom 3.... your thoughts.
2004-08-06, 1:18 PM #201
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
nightmare has always been unfair...</font>
No cheats, fast and respawning monsters? Slightly unfair.

------------------
Wise men say that fools rush in where angels fear to tread, so look before you leap, so to speak, because the grass is not always greener on the other side of the hill.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2004-08-06, 1:42 PM #202
yeah... and i was messing around with the smartshader effects for my video card... so i used sketch with doom3

man i love my new computer

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-08-06, 1:55 PM #203
That is awesome...

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1, 2 & 3 | Gonk WoW Petition <- SIGN!
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-08-06, 3:22 PM #204
I hate the plasma gun, the shots are too slow, rocket launcher and chaingun are my favorites. Although, since I rarely have ammo for them, Im always using the shotty.

------------------
"Just remember -- No matter how bad things get, Northern Minnesota will always be there"
-- Garrison Keeler
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-08-06, 3:54 PM #205
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fishstickz:
I hate the plasma gun, the shots are too slow, rocket launcher and chaingun are my favorites. Although, since I rarely have ammo for them, Im always using the shotty.

</font>

yeah the shots are a little too slow... they need to be either faster or more powerful for it to be more useful

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
2004-08-06, 4:06 PM #206
I found the plasma gun to be quite effective, mainly in close quarters, but it is an awesome gun.

------------------
ZGPC
2004-08-06, 4:21 PM #207
Well... if you are going to use a gun in close quarters use the shotgun. It can take down an imp in one shot and there is ammo everywhere.

------------------
"Just remember -- No matter how bad things get, Northern Minnesota will always be there"
-- Garrison Keeler
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-08-06, 4:44 PM #208
What fishy said.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-06, 4:47 PM #209
That is another problem I had with Doom. Spawning enemies. It is obvious where they are spawning, so you can just run up to where the satanic symbols and orange light thingys are appearing on the floor, stand there and wait, and just blast the mofo with the shotgun as soon as he spawns. That took so much out of the game [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif] Enemies needed to be more random, attack from anywhere in the room, dark corners, the ceiling. None of this "OH LOOK! SEE THE ORANGE LIGHT! YEAH THATS A DEMON! NOT SO SCARY NOW EH!?!??!" I loved the game, but they could have done so much better, ie LESS SCRIPTING [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
ZGPC
2004-08-06, 4:56 PM #210
True, but I still love what they did with it. I also love how they added the sprint feature. Although it was a part of Doom, I wasn't really expecting them to put that in. That helps make it a lot more tactical when taking down zombie soldiers. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-06, 6:55 PM #211
Oh dear lord.. Hell is scary as.... hell..

------------------
-- Garrison Keeler
--Garrison Keillor
2004-08-06, 6:59 PM #212
Only thing I'm worried about in this game: How are hellknights and cyberdemons? Are the big enough? Are the badass enough? I've not fought either of them yet.

------------------
I figure that one day I'll either be famous, or in prison. But I guess if I'm going to prison, I should probably try to do something that would make me famous anyway.
>>untie shoes
2004-08-06, 8:20 PM #213
Hellknights are completely bad *** . They are smaller than I thought they would be, but they are just awesome.

And rephrase that to Cyberdemon, as there is just one. Big enough? Hehe, just wait and see for yourself [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
ZGPC
2004-08-06, 8:24 PM #214
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by finity5:

And rephrase that to Cyberdemon, as there is just one. Big enough? Hehe, just wait and see for yourself [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

</font>

I remember the sick taste of bile that came up when i faced a cyberdemon in the original doom, especially in that one "go 2 it" level. Those things were damn near indestructable unless you had a ton of rockets or a bfg.

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.
2004-08-06, 8:29 PM #215
Walks up to annoying girl worker

me: Hi how are you
girl: im fine we must escape

(girls head decapitates it's self, bursts into flames and proceeds to attack me)

'nuff said.

------------------
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">whenever any form of government becomes destructive to securing the rights of the governed, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it</font>

---Thomas jefferson, Declaration of Independance.

[This message has been edited by TwistedSoul (edited August 06, 2004).]
whenever any form of government becomes destructive to securing the rights of the governed, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it
---Thomas jefferson, Declaration of Independance.
2004-08-06, 9:03 PM #216
That part was awesome. I was showing the game to my mom when i got to that part, it was great.

------------------
WOOSH|-----@%
Warhead[97]
2004-08-07, 1:13 AM #217
The Level before the first boss fight I wasnt able to open a 048 locker and there was one more locker. There must be PDA files lying arround through which I can get the codes for the locker but i wasnt able to find it.

Do we get the plasma gun before the first boss fight.......?
2004-08-07, 1:22 AM #218
If you're talking about the spider-womam thing then yes I think you do get the plasma gun before it...but found it easier to take her out with the chaingun. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
This post was proudly brought to you by KegZ™ - Now with 38% more Spam
Rock is dead - but I believe in necrophilia.
2004-08-07, 4:40 AM #219
Kinda off-topic, but does anyone recognise this custom MP doom 2 map ?

We used to play it almost ten years ago in high school, can't remember much about it other than this:
[http://www.geocities.com/fearmeforiamthethingfromyouranus/doom2.txt]
2004-08-07, 7:01 AM #220
Reminds me of the deathmatch version of Map01

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-08-08, 3:43 PM #221
does a bit actually, never noticed that. but no, it's a different map
2004-08-08, 5:24 PM #222
Did anyone else notice that some of the shadow volumes seem...fake? It's especially noticable on railing when you use the flashlight. Angle yourself so you're pointed at a curved object, like a bevel on a wall, or actually anything that's broken up and not flat. Use your flashlight and cast the shadow out onto the broken up wall, you'll notice it doesn't break up when it hits the wall, but remains perfect as if the wall were a perfectly flat surface. If you move around the railing some more, you can notice it even more. Often it seems as if the shadow is only a few inches or feet behind the model, instead of extending way far back. Later I noticed it happened on NPCs, pillars, crates and just about everything else.

I dunno, maybe it's because I'm on medium detail. But I didn't think the detail settings affected how the shadows were calculated, only affected texture and architectural detail...

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-08-08, 5:40 PM #223
I got this game a day after my birthday with my birthday money. I must say it is very good. The first level is very scary, but then it's died down in scariness a bit.

I got to Alhpa Labs Sector 1, then I installed a CD-RW drive the next day. My computer died on me. Cleared CMOS I don't know how many times. Finally fixed my problem. Turned out the AGP pins on the video card got dirtied up when I took it out, so it wouldn't POST. Cleaned them off with a bit of alcohol, everything works fine now. But Windows XP got fscked up. So I had to reformat. Started at the beginning again, then had to go to work. Pfft. Work is taking away my Doom3 time.

Anyway, this game has the most atmosphere of any game I've yet played. I love it much.

------------------
Our very existence is at stake

Yay! I can finally join the snail-racing crew.

-@%
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2004-08-08, 5:45 PM #224
Emon, that's what happens when you hold a flashlight right next to your head. Try it with a real one.

------------------
WOOSH|-----@%
Warhead[97]
2004-08-08, 5:48 PM #225
Er, no, because the shadow would still break up against uneven surfaces, and would grow a lot as it went into the distance (lack of this is understandable considering its hard to say exactly where the flashlight light is coming from).

------------------
2004-08-08, 5:48 PM #226
If i get a 3.o GHz proc and a new motherboard from my friends, i'll haev to pick this up. My computer doesn't wquite have the capability to play it yet, but i'll be fine if i get that.

------------------
"No good can ever come from staying with normal people"
-Outlaw Star
"Some people play tennis. I erode the human soul"
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
"I'm a Cannabal-Vegitarian. I will BBQ an employee if there is no veggie option"
-DX:IW
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²[/i]
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2004-08-08, 5:51 PM #227
I've noticed that too, Emon. I think what the engine does it simply make a silhouette of an object and then paste it on whatever's behind it. Or I could be very, very wrong.

------------------
"I'd rather be hated for who I am rather than loved for who I pretend to be." -Janis Joplin
2004-08-08, 5:52 PM #228
No, really. It is. If the flashlight is held very close to the camera, their perspectives are the same. If they were EXACTLY the same you would never even see the shadow...get my meaning? Your view of the area would be the same as where the light hits, so you wouldn't see a shadow. Since the light is actually held jsut a bit to the right and i think down from the camera, you see the shadows, but they appear very similar to their original shapes.

------------------
WOOSH|-----@%
Warhead[97]
2004-08-08, 6:09 PM #229
You don't get what I'm saying. When a shadow, ANY shadow, falls over a broken up surface, say a ceiling with a lot of beams for support, you can easily see the shadow breaking up. You don't see this with Doom 3's shadows, at least not with my setup. All I see is a solid silhouette of the object, it does not conform to the surfaces it hits.

------------------
2004-08-08, 6:17 PM #230
I get what you're saying, what I'm saying is that you jsut can't see it breaking up because your perspective is so similar to the light's.

I really don't think this picture will help at all, but i might as well show you since I tried to make it, heh.
[http://myweb.cableone.net/alberts/shadow.jpg]

Find a flashlight. Put it RIGHT up against the side of your face, right next to your eye. Now close the eye it's not next to. Now, at a moderate distance, look at a broken up surface or a corner or a ceiling fan and look at the shadow. If you have railings in your house, as you said, those demonstrate it the best.

------------------
WOOSH|-----@%

[This message has been edited by BobTheMasher (edited August 08, 2004).]
Warhead[97]
2004-08-08, 6:40 PM #231
Yeah, I'm talking about much larger breaks. I tried it with a flashlight and a peice of cardboard. I could definitely see it.

Just walk around some railing with the flashlight, trust me, it does NOT look right. Maybe it's what I've been talking about, maybe something else. But it definitely looks out of place.

I may, however, found the culprit. r_useTurboShadow, set to 1 by default. It's a faster and presumably cheaper way of making the shadows, maybe it's only for smaller entities and not for large brushes (which seem just fine, not odd at all). I haven't tried it yet but it seems like a likely explination. I had been wondering how the hell Carmack managed to make so many shadows run so well even on my piddly XP 2000+ at a 266 bus. That would certainly explain it.

------------------
2004-08-08, 6:48 PM #232
Have you trie dthe flashlight trick yet? The real life one, i mean?

------------------
WOOSH|-----@%
Warhead[97]
2004-08-08, 7:01 PM #233
Yeah, as I just said, with the cardboard. Didn't go into details, but I did try it on a small peice of cardboard. I could see the breakup.

Trust me, it doesn't look right. If something doesn't look right, it probably isn't.

------------------
2004-08-08, 7:03 PM #234
I got Doom3 the other day and I'm loving it so far. Got to Alpha Labs in the first run, but I'm hesitant to start playing again because the frame rates have inexplicably dropped from 20-30 to 3-4, where they stay regardless of the level of detail. Makes it kind of hard to play.

Other than that, it's awesome. A bit overpriced, but still awesome.
2004-08-08, 7:04 PM #235
[http://home.insightbb.com/~necropimp/d3shadow.jpg]

there ya go...

and just for fun...

[http://home.insightbb.com/~necropimp/doom3/corpsepile.jpg]

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
2004-08-08, 7:06 PM #236
shadows are dynamic and are rendered on the fly, so it can't be too detailed or realistic or it would slow the game down more than it already is. Doom3 is too much of a resource hog already.

I see what you mean, though. after looking at shadows in real life [tm], A shawow on a curved surface should flow with the curve.

I think the doom3 shadows are some kind of spite, b/c it would explain the non-bendy behaviour. spites are only 2-d, after all.

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited August 08, 2004).]
2004-08-08, 7:11 PM #237
I'm up to...well....the big red, dark n' creepy place [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif] This game is absolutely gorgeous on full detail it's just got to be experienced.

Gameplay is ok, better than the usual iD sp fair....but still, I have gripes. Cheifly that combat gets too predictable and you lose the scariness factor because of it. There needed to be more pauses in action to build up suspense...your senses tend to be dulled with room after room of monsters.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1, 2 & 3 | Gonk WoW Petition <- SIGN!
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-08-08, 7:14 PM #238
I'm not seeing the problem here. Plus, I know I'm right (don't we all know we're right? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif] )

[http://myweb.cableone.net/alberts/shadow3.jpg]

------------------
WOOSH|-----@%

[This message has been edited by BobTheMasher (edited August 08, 2004).]
Warhead[97]
2004-08-08, 7:18 PM #239
That body pile is awesome Jim.

------------------
Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
2004-08-08, 7:33 PM #240
It doesn't appear that way on mine, Bob. I'll try that turbo shadow thing and see what happens.

------------------

↑ Up to the top!