Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Doom 3.... your thoughts.
Doom 3.... your thoughts.
2004-08-05, 1:53 PM #161
Something to do with OpenGL... are your video card drivers up to date?

------------------
ZGPC
2004-08-05, 2:02 PM #162
Yup.
2004-08-05, 2:19 PM #163
Ok...it's working...apparently there was something wrong with the desktop icon... *shrug*
2004-08-05, 3:22 PM #164
Well, having played the original Doom and other similar games, I don't find Doom 3 very "scary" at all so far. It's somewhat repetitive so far IMO. Shoot a monster, another jumps out, shoot it, another jumps out, etc.

But even though I don't find it scary I'm gonna listen to some Benedictine Monk chants before I go to sleep tonight....
2004-08-05, 4:32 PM #165
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Morfildor:
Oh joy, more issues with a game I'm not even sure is worth the time.

Everytime I start the game is comes up and says
"unknown command vid_restart
idRenderSystem::Shutdown()
Shutting down OpenGL subsystem..
...shutting down QGL
couldn't load default.cfg"

It actually ran the first two or three times but after it crashed I get this. >.<

And yes I did try reinstalling...
</font>

I got that too, but it went away on its own.

it seems strange, b/c D3 seems to use DX9, not Gl.

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.
2004-08-05, 4:47 PM #166
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
I got that too, but it went away on its own.

it seems strange, b/c D3 seems to use DX9, not Gl.

</font>

for the 897456873486784532879234687689032638275455th time Doom 3 uses opengl NOT D3D

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-08-05, 4:55 PM #167
What Jim said.

Thats why D3 is able to run all those fancy things on GF3 cards as well as new cards.

------------------
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2004-08-05, 5:15 PM #168
Yeah. It uses PS 1.3, which is Pixel-Shader 1.3

In OGL, this was implemented in the GF3, and 8500 cards, unless I'm mistaken.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-05, 5:26 PM #169
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
for the 897456873486784532879234687689032638275456th time Doom 3 uses opengl NOT D3D</font>

2004-08-05, 5:29 PM #170
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Yeah. It uses PS 1.3, which is Pixel-Shader 1.3

In OGL, this was implemented in the GF3, and 8500 cards, unless I'm mistaken.

</font>

The 8500 had versions 1.4, thats all the 8500 had over the GF3 really.

------------------
[="Rememeber that history isn't how the corporate controlled media made it look like. Read between the lines and free your mind. Evolution is the birth of equality and the anti-thesis to opression." - Immortal Technique=]

Massassian since: March 12, 2001

[This message has been edited by Sol (edited August 05, 2004).]
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2004-08-05, 5:30 PM #171
pfft, whatever it uses, it is damn HAWT [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
ZGPC
2004-08-05, 5:35 PM #172
If Doom 3 uses OpenGL and not DirectX, why is DirectX included with the game?

------------------
I bet you think that's funny, don't you.
2004-08-05, 5:40 PM #173
Because.

------------------
Put me in the hospital for nerves and then they had to commit me,
You told them all I was crazy,
They cut off my legs now I'm an amputee, God damn you.
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-08-05, 5:42 PM #174
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sol:
The 8500 had versions 1.4, thats all the 8500 had over the GF3 really.

</font>

The GF3 performs SO MUCH BETTER.

Also, Sol, got AIM or MSN? Gotta talk to you about somethin [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-05, 5:45 PM #175
Wait, if D3 uses GL, then why is there a DX9 installer on the cd?

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.
2004-08-05, 5:48 PM #176
Nobody knows. But trust me, if it used DX9, I couldn't have all this sexy eye candy.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-05, 5:55 PM #177
Because DirectX also includes sound, input, and networking drivers as well.

------------------
"I'd rather be hated for who I am rather than loved for who I pretend to be." -Janis Joplin
2004-08-05, 6:08 PM #178
yeah directx isn't just video

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
2004-08-05, 6:16 PM #179
So I bought the game today. And I installed it. And then I clicked load. The game tried to load, I'm sure it wanted to. But it just wasn't in the cards. I'm stuck on the first screen in the game. Where they're talking about a ship landing. And it won't go anywhere. It plays a few sound bytes and the screen is frozen. So I headed over to the ATI website and I'm currently downloading the latest drivers. 30 Minutes left. I hate dial up. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
I figure that one day I'll either be famous, or in prison. But I guess if I'm going to prison, I should probably try to do something that would make me famous anyway.
>>untie shoes
2004-08-05, 6:35 PM #180
I think Jim had similar problems, and they were fixed when he downloaded the latest ATi drivers.

------------------
Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
2004-08-05, 10:05 PM #181
I have to say, I found the game to be very repetetive at first, shoot monster that has good graphics, look for another one, nothing special, same as all other first person shooters, this one's just dark and has incredible graphics.

Once I got to the part about the transporter, and I actually got a little info for the story, it's picked up, it's gotten a little intense and scary...dare I say. However, Ih ave been playing it alot, and playing it at night with your speakers set up fairly well so ith as a surround-soundish effect, as well as the anticipation of the end...which will apparently be hell, makes it much mroe suspenseful and better.

------------------
This signiture agrees completely with the previously posted signuture. To attempt copyright infringement upon this signiture is a violation of any copyright laws stated for the previously stated signiture. By acknowledging this signiture, you acknowledge the previous signiture.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2004-08-05, 10:27 PM #182
I just beat the game a couple hours ago. Wow. That is all I can say. The game is amazing. Best FPS experience I have ever had. I even had a tear in my eye watching the end credits...

>.>

<.<

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
ZGPC
2004-08-05, 10:55 PM #183
I have just reached the Alpha Labs and it's pretty fun so far. It's criminal that it's taken this long for such cool computer interaction to be implemented, though. Unfortunately it hasn't really been used since the intro area, but I'm hoping to get more of it later, or make a level with heaps of interaction myself...

I'm defragging my computer, hopefully that will kill some of the jittering I've experienced.
2004-08-05, 11:41 PM #184
you know what i was noticing? the pistol reminds me A LOT of the gun from blade runner...

[http://www.brmovie.com/Images/Things/blaster_01.gif]

------------------
There are two asses in Massassi... and I'm one of them.
The Matrix Unplugged|My Portfolio|My Levels
2004-08-06, 12:09 AM #185
Yeah, I really like the system they use for computer consoles and stuff. Really an awesome system, and so simple!

------------------
WOOSH|-----@%
Warhead[97]
2004-08-06, 5:09 AM #186
Cazor--just noticed that. O_o

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-06, 5:56 AM #187
I want to see a screenshot of the Martian surface.

:[

------------------
Map-Review | My Portfolio | The Matrix: Unplugged

Banks and banks of humming machinery! I've never seen so many knobs. We're going to have to do something, Charlie! Try pushing that button there. No? How about that one? No, not that one either. I know! I'll try pushing this one. Hold my hat will you? Good fellow.
2004-08-06, 6:03 AM #188
Get the game l0z0r [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-06, 6:14 AM #189
Here you go, Thrawn.

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.

[This message has been edited by Emon (edited August 06, 2004).]
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-08-06, 7:22 AM #190
Got my copy of Doom 3 Today. Excellent, exploding game ultimate realistic graphics.
Although my sys config is: PIII 1.3Ghz, 512mb ram, Geforce Ti4400, on this system I am able to play at 1024*768 in medium detail and without AA. The game run very smooth in close quaters but when there are big rooms the game gets slow. I started FPS counter it shows 15 frames per sec. Anyway as long as it running there no problem. But will be interested to look the game in Ultra detail in future.

Already in Alpha sector. Can somebody tell me, are there any sectrets or closed doors in the game that can be opened...?
2004-08-06, 7:57 AM #191
I got my new drivers and the game runs smooth as a piece of glass. Not doom 3 glass. Earth glass.

Runs really smoothly with high details and no AA at low resolution. Have not tried it at a higher res. Maybe I'll go do that. Personally I love this game so far. I think it's quite good. The monsters actually manage to frighten me, and most games can't do that. The voices are cool. The red screen thing is terrifying. I love my surround sound. I hate the pink demons. I love they way monsters burn up like cigarettes when you kill them. Although I don't like the gun sound effects too much. They're not quite loud enough or something. It just doesn't seem to fit very well. Monster sounds are top notch though and the voice acting is surprisingly good. I'm on alpha labs section 4 right now, and I'm fairly happy with the game so far. I'm pretty impressed with the monsters. They're all really cool. Zombies are fun too. Only real problem I had was getting stuck on some objects because of the ragdoll engine. I got stuck between a chair and a table and it took me a while to get out of it. Other than that, it's a great game that I can't seem to find many problems with.

------------------
I figure that one day I'll either be famous, or in prison. But I guess if I'm going to prison, I should probably try to do something that would make me famous anyway.
>>untie shoes
2004-08-06, 8:40 AM #192
Yeah the gun sound effects weren't quite right for me... they just felt off. Is it just me, or does that shotgun feel more like a toy than anything?

------------------
ZGPC
2004-08-06, 9:09 AM #193
hrmm... i thought the shotgun was amazingly badass...

------------------
There are two asses in Massassi... and I'm one of them.
The Matrix Unplugged|My Portfolio|My Levels
2004-08-06, 9:15 AM #194
Toys don't make zombies explode.

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/redface.gif]

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-06, 9:32 AM #195
The shotgun pisses me off sometimes. It just doesn't seem to hit at point blank range on occasion. Plasma gun for life, *****es.

------------------
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
2004-08-06, 11:05 AM #196
Yeah, the plasma gun is my favorite weapon.

------------------
2004-08-06, 11:41 AM #197
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Thrawn42689:
I want to see a screenshot of the Martian surface.

:[

</font>

here's a nice resized image

[http://imagecorner.sorrowind.net/58/3.jpg]

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
2004-08-06, 11:47 AM #198
BAHHHHH! I am playing through on nightmare... It isnt possible I swear! Your health constantly drops 5 points every 5 seconds, to a min of 25. You die in like 2 shots from a zombie with a pistol! I do not see how it can be possible to beat this game at all on nightmare, because there are just some spots in game where it just isnt possible to avoid taking damage. And if you die that easy right at the begining... I dont think I even want to attempt nightmare anymore.

------------------
ZGPC
2004-08-06, 11:57 AM #199
nightmare has always been unfair...

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
2004-08-06, 12:06 PM #200
In 10 years, someone will b able to beat it on nightmare in under an hour.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H

↑ Up to the top!