Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Do you even really care at this point?
Do you even really care at this point?
2016-11-12, 9:49 AM #441
Originally posted by Wookie06:
Higher taxes does not always equal greater government revenue raised. Also, I think it is important to note that "tax" is another term like "rich" or "wealth" that we all ascribe our own meaning to. For most of this discussion it appears that we're visualizing income tax but that's certainly not the only tax but let's stay with it generally.

If higher taxes raise more revenue why should we be concerned with corporations moving in whole or part to other parts of the world? I mean if we have a higher corporate tax rate, we'll lose money if we lower it. We don't lose money if we choose not to and corporations leave, right?

If we want to raise revenue by choosing to tax an economic activity such as income, clearly a higher tax rate will result in the most revenue raised, right? Generally speaking, if you want less of a thing, tax it more. The more money we remove from people, the less money they have to participate in economic activity, the less money being taxed. To a point, that is. Lower taxes too far and the revenue raised is negligible. Raise them too high and you discourage activity.

These things aren't linear, they're curves. I'm not saying Trump's tax plan is great. I don't care about it in the least because it's not even his plan and it hasn't been through the process where it will likely morph into God knows what anyway.

But let's explore this idea that his tax plan will "cost" money. To even try to make that idea work we have to visualize that all tax payers are the employer, government is the employee, and our tax cut is a pay reduction to our employee. This still doesn't make sense but it's about as close as we can get it to. So our pay reduction, now considered an expense, means that our employee, the government, is going to go deeper in debt by running higher deficits (because we just can't ever even consider living within the boundaries of an income). Problem is that happens anyway. The national debt is a curve growing faster and ever steeper by the year. I'm pretty sure if we go back four and eight years McCain's and Romney's plans were supposed to cost trillions more than Obama's and I'm also pretty sure that Obama wasn't running on the promise that under his plan the national debt was only going to double to about twenty trillion dollars by the end of his second term.

Summary: Wookie06 thinks US is on the right side of the Laffer Curve, even though all evidence suggests the curve either doesn't exist or the US is very far to the left side.
2016-11-12, 11:04 AM #442
If I was a Clinton donor, could I get a refund?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2016-11-12, 1:03 PM #443
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Summary: Wookie06 thinks US is on the right side of the Laffer Curve, even though all evidence suggests the curve either doesn't exist or the US is very far to the left side.

I don't care about the Laffer Curve. I just think it's important to note that the relationship to revenue raised and tax rates is not linear and that tax reductions on high income earners or corporations does not necessarily mean that tax revenue will decrease. Regardless, clearly a tax reduction is not an expense that costs money.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2016-11-12, 1:05 PM #444
Originally posted by Reverend Jones:
So, in other words, "we're no worse than the Democrats".

So to take your current state of mind into consideration with all of the emotional concern you have about Trump, he is a Democrat. You're likely to have no significant problems with his performance as President. He'll probably just be Bill Clinton 2.0.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2016-11-12, 1:37 PM #445
Originally posted by Wookie06:
I don't care about the Laffer Curve. I just think it's important to note that the relationship to revenue raised and tax rates is not linear and that tax reductions on high income earners or corporations does not necessarily mean that tax revenue will decrease.

Originally posted by Wikipedia:
In economics, the Laffer curve is a representation of the relationship between rates of taxation and the resulting levels of government revenue. Proponents of the Laffer curve claim that it illustrates the concept of taxable income elasticity—i.e., taxable income will change in response to changes in the rate of taxation.

[http://i.imgur.com/GRhzJvz.jpg]
2016-11-12, 1:53 PM #446
Am I the only one that images appear broken for. I have to open that image separately to see it and many of the smilies are broken. Anyway, I should have phrased that differently, it's not that I don't care, know, or understand what the Laffer Curve is. It's just that I'm not making any argument about it beyond the basic one and I'm not going to argue where we're at on it.

One hot day I was thinking about all of the things I do for myself around the house that I wouldn't mind not doing, especially in the heat. Even though it seems like a waste of resources to me to pay someone else to do the things I can do myself, I thought I can certainly understand why others might. Thinking further on it, I thought just how much economic activity I didn't participate in but how good it is that others do and that it would be great if more people can afford to. A wealthy or high income earner might responsibly choose to purchase a new vehicle (they're the only people that might be able to afford the depreciation hit), they might also choose to have the vehicle professionally maintained. They'll probably hire out lawn care and landscaping which will spur purchases and maintenance of related equipment and supplies. Perhaps hire a contractor for a home improvement project or renovation rather than do the job themselves. Government confiscation or even just the perceived threat of it reduces an untold amount of economic activity.

So, no, I doubt Trump's small tax cuts will be to blame for our ever ballooning debts just like Obama's tax policy didn't slow them down.

I know in the past Jon has showed little concern about the national debt in general but now that we're some years from those old discussions I'm interested in his thoughts about its seemingly unending rise.

2016-11-12, 2:27 PM #447
Regarding consumption increasing after a tax cut: this is what "trickle down" means. It doesn't work. Upper income and wealthy people don't need to budget the way you do, so increased income doesn't translate at all to increased consumption. Low and middle income tax cuts affect too many people so all it does is bring prices up. ****ing with taxes is a stupid economic non-op for everybody except PIMCO.

Regarding government debt: sometimes debt is good sometimes it's bad. High debt at high rates is bad because it's a transfer payment from taxpayers (predominantly poor people) to bond holders (predominately rich) so it exacerbates wealth and income inequality greatly. However, selling bonds at current yields is probably smarter than trying to pay the debt off. Trump intends to do neither though, so :confused:
2016-11-12, 2:30 PM #448
Worth adding this: under modern finance increasing the supply of government bonds has the positive side effect of removing demand for financial derivatives of the type that caused the 2007 GFC. So cutting taxes and increasing government spending might actually stabilize the private sector.
2016-11-12, 2:33 PM #449
The Laffer curve depicts the idea that increasing taxation beyond an optimal point (which depends on various factors) will start to lower tax revenue instead of increasing it further. The amount by which revenue is lowered depends on the extent to which the tax rate is pushed beyond its optimal point. At 100% taxation, the revenue would always drop to zero. This purported effect is based on the idea that a tax rate exceeding its optimal point makes tax avoidance and evasion more common and reduces people's incentive to work.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2016-11-12, 2:55 PM #450
The Laffer curve also implies that the supply of labor is highly price elastic (it probably isn't) and that the supply of labor correlates with effective tax rates (it probably doesn't).

Besides the obvious originating argument, that the government should raise or lower taxes to find the profit maximizing tax rate, which is a stupid idea because governments are not businesses and should not be run like them.
2016-11-12, 3:29 PM #451
Besides the obvious originating argument, that the government should raise or lower taxes to find the profit maximizing tax rate, which is a stupid idea because governments are not businesses and should not be run like them.

This reminded me of something. Sorry to veer off-topic.

[http://valtioneuvosto.fi/documents/10184/1432004/P%C3%A4%C3%A4ministeri+Sipil%C3%A4+i/42e872c9-ab67-4d77-923f-231ea7189672?t=1441185100000&width=580]
This man is Juha Sipilä. He is the prime minister of Finland, which in practice is our highest political position. Our president is mostly a figurehead, or a "values leader", albeit with a degree more political power than the royalty of some modern European countries.

Juha Sipilä came from a business background. When he was running for PM, he said he would run the country like he would a business. He presented this as a strength. Since that parliamentary election where Juha Sipilä rose to power in April 2015, our government has consisted of three parties: his centrist party, an established major right wing party and a populist party that got too popular to be left in the opposition. This government has implemented severe austerity measures. The results thus far have been suboptimal, to put it mildly. Our economy was already looking bad, which they say is largely due to the dependency ratio that keeps getting worse and is projected to get catastrophic in some time. I don't know, but these policies don't seem like the way to turn things around.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2016-11-12, 3:38 PM #452
At least we've got an austerity advocate in Pence, should the economy go south.
2016-11-12, 5:35 PM #453
Upper income and wealthy people don't need to budget the way you do,

Thank you for reminding me. Now, this would work perfect as a sarcastic response but

so increased income doesn't translate at all to increased consumption.

it reminds me that I had considered that already. I thought, and so what if they don't spend the money. Investing it or just putting it in the bank is economic activity as well with positive benefits. Also, all of these theories are great but in the real world people manage or mismanage their monies in so many different ways simply making the Trickle Down argument is a little naive.

Still, I'll really only go so far into the discussion because regardless if we knew what the ideal tax rates were and for whom, I've made it clear in the past that I generally believe income and property taxes to be immoral. I would include any forms of wealth or inheritance taxation as well as I also consider that to be property.

2016-11-12, 6:43 PM #454
Haha, I didn't mean it that way. But unless you're making millions a year Trump's proposed tax reforms aren't going to help you. You might get a small rate reduction but you're going to lose some deductions as well. Most people are going to pay higher taxes except for those at the top bracket or people who pay AMT. Trump's reforms are laser focused on his own tax needs and there just aren't enough of those kinds of people to stimulate the kinds of demand for trickle down to work, even if they aren't already living below their means.
2016-11-12, 8:48 PM #455
Sorry, don't know how to play this video :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZiI6kVkPXs
2016-11-12, 10:08 PM #456
Allegory: Star Wars (1977) ~ US election (2016)

Tarkin ~ Clinton
Death Star ~ DNC-media complex
The Force ~ the vote

Ben Kenobi ~ Assange
Han ~ Putin
Luke ~ Donald Trump
Leia ~ Ivanka Trump (incestuous flirtation has been with us at least since `77)
2016-11-12, 10:10 PM #457
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoiKosRN5fY
2016-11-12, 10:11 PM #458
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nSpDEFO3tY
2016-11-12, 10:21 PM #459
2016-11-12, 10:27 PM #460
Scott Adams did predict that Trump's path to the presidency would follow the three acts of a movie!
2016-11-17, 5:20 PM #461
Originally posted by Reverend Jones:
Scott Adams did predict that Trump's path to the presidency would follow the three acts of a movie!

I hate so much that that guy's bull**** exercise in dazzling young white nationalists with entry-level sophistry somehow managed to pay off.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2016-11-17, 5:45 PM #462
Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane:
I hate so much that that guy's bull**** exercise in dazzling young white nationalists with entry-level sophistry somehow managed to pay off.

Who? Scott Adams, Donald Trump,...? There are so many people this could apply to
2016-11-18, 5:05 PM #463
I guess I gave Adams too much credit. A more dignified voice to have predicted the rise of a Trump was Richard Rorty, in 1998.
2016-11-19, 2:03 AM #464
Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane:

IDK, seems to be pretty good sophistry. I mean unless we sort of ignore that Hillary performed worse than Obama with Latinos; you know, versus the man who thinks they're rapists. But yeah he still got like 60 million votes. That's pretty effective.
2016-11-27, 12:44 PM #465
Who? Scott Adams, Donald Trump,...? There are so many people this could apply to

Adams, but yes, true.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.

↑ Up to the top!