Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Do you even really care at this point?
Do you even really care at this point?
2016-10-03, 10:27 AM #81
Originally posted by Jon`C:
basically it's the same problem here that the republicans/monetarists have, full stop not understanding the difference between nominal (number of dollars you have) and real (how much **** you can buy).

If everybody pays 30%, to amount of **** you can buy is unchanged.

Eh? That's only true if the government sits on the money and never spends it in any way.

Quote:
Corporate income taxes are also ****ing great, but the reason why is a long discussion. But TL;DR they punish unproductive uses of profit like sitting on liquid cash because they're too stupid to invest it in anything (Apple).

I'm gonna guess that the people in charge of Apple's cash probably know a bit more about potential investment opportunities than you do. Effectively they are financing well secured debt. It's not exciting, but that money has to come from somewhere. I very much doubt that luxury consumer electronics can absorb that much investment usefully, and they are too large to be really innovative at this point.

The trouble with corporate taxes is that it quickly becomes a race to the bottom. There's always a country that can undercut you to get the business. And for some reason, the US has decided to tax foreign profits, which no one else does, because penalizing investment of foreign cash makes no sense at all. You're better off taxing on individual capital gains, because while it may be no big deal to set up factories in Indonesia, the rich don't want to actually live there.
2016-10-03, 11:43 AM #82
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
Eh? That's only true if the government sits on the money and never spends it in any way.
Yes you will have some losses due to crowding out, but predominately government is a monopsony for most goods so that effect is probably more limited than people generally think. There isn't much of a private market for stealth aircraft, for example, and by extension there isn't much of a labor market for stealth aircraft engineers outside of government contractors.

Quote:
I'm gonna guess that the people in charge of Apple's cash probably know a bit more about potential investment opportunities than you do. Effectively they are financing well secured debt. It's not exciting, but that money has to come from somewhere. I very much doubt that luxury consumer electronics can absorb that much investment usefully, and they are too large to be really innovative at this point.
I'm not saying Apple is behaving irrationally, I'm saying they are stupid. Stock buybacks, dividends, backstopping their own financial division, those are all rational but destructive in a long term macroeconomic sense. Low inflation, low labor market growth, low consumer demand, low interest rates, low equity price growth on high p/e all mean there is no direct incentive to put the money toward anything productive. It's a good time to be a market maker because nobody else is doing anything interesting, but there's a big downside if you fail, so risk averse companies are not going to move first.

Governments should be working to make all of that money flow again. I am not just communicating my own opinion when I say this, even former Chicagoan monetarists have suggested things like bill expiration as a stick to keep idle liquidity down. IMO a better way is to print a ****load of money and spread it around. But taxing foreign profits is another way of going about it.

Quote:
The trouble with corporate taxes is that it quickly becomes a race to the bottom. There's always a country that can undercut you to get the business.
Okay, it sounds like you acknowledge the race to the bottom is a problem, so why is your proposed solution to win that race? Surely a better solution would be to tighten tax residency laws so corporate tax residency is based on where their business is actually conducted instead of where it is reported?

Quote:
And for some reason, the US has decided to tax foreign profits, which no one else does,
BS, all countries do this. Corporations are taxed based on residence which is a matter of fact, and every civilized nation has agreed to tax treaties which clearly establish rules for corporate residence and the fair division of tax (paid first in the tax jurisdiction where the profit was made, then topped up in the jurisdiction where the corporation is resident unless the tax rate is lower).

The main difference is that the US corporate income tax is relatively high, and that they actually (contrary to your claim) do very little to claw back profits reported by foreign subsidiaries. So you get the situation we have today, where all of the business operations of a company are conducted in the United States, but all of the profits are reported by a foreign subsidiary, and exactly enough money trickles back to cover operational expenses and nothing else.
2016-10-03, 11:47 AM #83
u guises disappoont moi

[Unable to find specified attachment]
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2016-10-03, 11:53 AM #84
i'm a neoliberal
2016-10-03, 11:55 AM #85
I also say whoa quite liberally
2016-10-03, 11:59 AM #86
you're a neoliberace and you know it
2016-10-03, 11:59 AM #87
[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/garosaon/smiley/emot_whoa_zps63d26a84.png]
2016-10-03, 12:47 PM #88
The reason Daesh is conducting terror attacks in e.g. Europe while posing as refugees is to make foreign countries close their borders. Then the fleeing refugees will have nowhere else to go, and will be forced to join Daesh. Your irrational fear of a basically impossible death literally makes Daesh stronger. In other words, while the concerns of the right are not baseless, making policy based on those concerns will literally let the terrorists win.

That is the "common view" of the left. You don't have to do mental gymnastics about the Iraq War or Homeland Security to understand why people think saving a culture is the moral thing to do, or that starving Daesh of recruits is the most effective way of fighting them. Nobody on the left believes that it won't result in some additional terrorism, but people on the left are willing to risk death to stand up for their beliefs. What would American conservatives risk dying for, I wonder?

But this is completely off topic, anyway. Most American terorrists are deranged white people. Jared Lee Loughner was a "registered independent" (basically how deranged internet people spell "Republican"); McVeigh and Nichols were anti-government (Republican); Kaczynski was anarchist and anti-leftist (Republican); Rudolph was anti-gay and anti-abortion (Republican); Wade Michael Page was a white supremacist (Republican); there's been too much anti-abortion terrorism to count (all Republicans).

You might think I'm cherry picking, but I'm not. It's just way easier to find rightist white terrorists than pretty much any other. It seems the real problem in the US is that terrorism is only newsworthy when it's not a white Republican doing it.

I love the internet. It's a great place to write up a few paragraphs in which I never once express my own opinion, and then get straw-manned and assaulted with ad hominem attacks as if I had, in a manner that actually *confirms* the point that I was making in the first place. Woo!
former entrepreneur
2016-10-03, 12:59 PM #89
Originally posted by Eversor:
I love the internet. It's a great place to write up a few paragraphs in which I never once express my own opinion, and then get straw-manned and assaulted with ad hominem attacks as if I had, in a manner that actually *confirms* the point that I was making in the first place. Woo!

Nobody cares.
2016-10-03, 1:32 PM #90
Nobody cares.

You can be sure that I don't.
former entrepreneur
2016-10-03, 1:45 PM #91
You can be sure that I don't.

Clearly.

Saying that progressive support for Syrian refugees is based at all in a feeling of Iraq War culpability is the same sort of toxic prima facie argument that sought to discredit popular support of the Civil Rights Movement as a kind of white guilt. It is wholly an odious thing to claim.

If my worst offence is that I assumed you were intellectually honest enough to post your opinion, and that I responded in kind, I'm not too ashamed.
2016-10-03, 1:57 PM #92
Clearly.

Actually, the part where you made arguments based on assumptions that were completely wrong was actually pretty funny. I cared about that part, inasmuch as it amused me.
former entrepreneur
2016-10-03, 8:57 PM #93
Saying that progressive support for Syrian refugees is based at all in a feeling of Iraq War culpability is the same sort of toxic prima facie argument that sought to discredit popular support of the Civil Rights Movement as a kind of white guilt. It is wholly an odious thing to claim.

That might be an odious thing to say, but you blatantly misread me if you think that's what I said. What I was in fact describing is a line of argument similar to what can be found in this New York Times op-ed written by Roger Cohen, comparing America/Germany on the crisis:

Quote:
The United States would have had to admit about 4 million refugees this year to take in a similar proportion of its population. It has fallen more than 3.9 million short of that mark.

Most of the refugees in Germany are from Syria. The United States has admitted about 1,900 refugees from Syria over the past four years. Yes, you read that right. President Obama has now pledged to resettle 10,000 Syrian refugees — a decision that had met defiance from more than two dozen Republican governors eager to conflate the words “Muslim” or “Middle Eastern” with terrorist.

Whatever happened to “the home of the brave”?

Set aside the fact that the Syrian crisis cannot be disentangled from the spillover of the Iraq war, and so America’s direct responsibility is engaged. Set aside the fact that Obama said in 2011 that President Bashar al-Assad must step aside, and so America’s responsibility is engaged. Set aside the presidential “red line” not upheld in 2013. Even then, by any reasonable measure, the American response to the Syrian refugee crisis has been pitiful.

For a land of immigrants peopled over centuries by families fleeing war, famine or hardship, it has been especially pitiful.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/22/opinion/germany-refugee-nation.html

This line of argument doesn't discredit those who think the US should take in more refugees by claiming they're driven by ulterior motives (e.g., a desire to unburden themselves of their "feeling of Iraq War culpability", or something else). It's a sincere criticism of the US for failing to make good on its word and do more.
former entrepreneur
2016-10-03, 9:18 PM #94
That might be an odious thing to say, but you blatantly misread me if you think that's what I said.
I didn't suggest that you held that belief. What you said is that it is a common perspective of the left, which it totally ****ing isn't.

The author of the article you just quoted is using the Iraq War to shame regressives to action. It doesn't mean all progressives frame suffering in terms of a trade deficit.
2016-10-03, 9:45 PM #95
But this is completely off topic, anyway. Most American terorrists are deranged white people. Jared Lee Loughner was a "registered independent" (basically how deranged internet people spell "Republican"); McVeigh and Nichols were anti-government (Republican); Kaczynski was anarchist and anti-leftist (Republican); Rudolph was anti-gay and anti-abortion (Republican); Wade Michael Page was a white supremacist (Republican); there's been too much anti-abortion terrorism to count (all Republicans).

You might think I'm cherry picking, but I'm not. It's just way easier to find rightist white terrorists than pretty much any other. It seems the real problem in the US is that terrorism is only newsworthy when it's not a white Republican doing it.

19+168+3+2+6 plus the 11 too many to count abortion murders equals what, 210? That does exceed the number of Islamic related murders I have found that total 139 or so since March 2002. Damn, I thought there were more somewhere.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2016-10-03, 10:13 PM #96
What you said is that it is a common perspective of the left

No I didn't.
former entrepreneur
2016-10-03, 11:01 PM #97
A common view on the left is this: a moral responsibility falls on western countries to accept refugees, first because of the scale and severity of the humanitarian crisis brought on by the Syrian Civil War, and also because they have the capacity to do something about it. There is also a stronger view that western countries in particular are responsible for accepting refugees because of their involvement in the Iraq War, i.e., because they produced the conditions that led to Syrian Civil War and ISIS in the first place. Someone who believes that might think that America's response to the crisis is especially egregious compared to other countries, given that it has accepted only 10,000 refugees in the past year (very little compared to other countries), despite being the architect of the invasion of Iraq.

But hey, whatever lets you avoid having to defend an indefensible comment.
2016-10-03, 11:03 PM #98
Originally posted by Wookie06:
19+168+3+2+6 plus the 11 too many to count abortion murders equals what, 210? That does exceed the number of Islamic related murders I have found that total 139 or so since March 2002. Damn, I thought there were more somewhere.

It's not their fault you republicans aren't as good at it.
2016-10-04, 6:13 AM #99
Funny, I decided against making that tasteless joke.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2016-10-04, 7:40 AM #100
lol.

This:

Quote:
There is also a stronger view that western countries in particular are responsible for accepting refugees because of their involvement in the Iraq War...

Doesn't imply that that it's a common view. In fact, it contrasts with the thing that I do identify as a common view.

I'm cracking up that you're lecturing me on "intellectual honesty" when you won't even read what i'm writing. This is quite amusing.
former entrepreneur
2016-10-04, 8:45 AM #101
I've carefully read everything you posted. I'm willing to accept the possibility that you meant something different, but it doesn't change what you actually wrote.

What you wrote is that it is a stronger view, and since you didn't specify a change of subject, a reader can only possibly assume you are still writing about the popular opinions of progressives. Here is how you communicate what you claim to have meant:

"a contrasting view is"
"others think"
"a less popular opinion is"
"rightists argue that"
2016-10-04, 2:00 PM #102
I've carefully read everything you posted. I'm willing to accept the possibility that you meant something different, but it doesn't change what you actually wrote.

What you wrote is that it is a stronger view, and since you didn't specify a change of subject, a reader can only possibly assume you are still writing about the popular opinions of progressives. Here is how you communicate what you claim to have meant:

"a contrasting view is"
"others think"
"a less popular opinion is"
"rightists argue that"

Look, thanks for the notes. But, again, you're wrong.

When I said in that paragraph that the opinion was a "stronger view", I meant that it was a stronger view -- that is, it is a progressive view, yet, like the argument in Roger Cohen's op-ed, it is also an opinion more strongly stated than the more "common view" that preceded it.

I did not say that it's something "rightists argue", nor did I intend to say it. So you are surely misreading me, because, as even you acknowledge, nobody could reasonably assume that it is what I meant to say. In your own words: "a reader can only possibly assume you are still writing about the popular opinions of progressives".

You're not going to get anywhere if you claim that "it doesn't change what wrote", and then rewrite what I wrote to mean the exact opposite.
former entrepreneur
2016-10-04, 4:40 PM #103
Wait. So it's a common progressive view, but stronger, but not actually a stronger view, just stated more strongly (whatever that means), and you provided it to contrast the progressive viewpoint, but it's not in contrast to what progressives believe because it's actually what progressives believe, and you don't sincerely think it's what progressives believe and therefore you shouldn't be judged for thinking it's what progressives believe, even though you originally provided it as an example of what progressives believe.

Huh?

Do you want to take a mulligan on this one?
2016-10-04, 4:44 PM #104
Am I really the only one here who thinks he was saying: "Progressives think we are responsible for creating Daesh and that is why they think we should take refugees"?
2016-10-04, 5:05 PM #105
Am I really the only one here who thinks he was saying: "Progressives think we are responsible for creating Daesh and that is why they think we should take refugees"?

I've already given an example of one so-called "progressive" who believes some attenuated form of that statement, but I've never stated that it was something all on the left believe. You can look above to see what I said.

Wait. So it's a common progressive view, but stronger, but not actually a stronger view, just stated more strongly (whatever that means), and you provided it to contrast the progressive viewpoint, but it's not in contrast to what progressives believe because it's actually what progressives believe, and you don't sincerely think it's what progressives believe and therefore you shouldn't be judged for thinking it's what progressives believe, even though you originally provided it as an example of what progressives believe.

Huh?

Do you want to take a mulligan on this one?

It's not as confusing as you're making it out to be. There are diverse views on the left. One view is one thing that some on the left believe, the second was another thing that others on the left believe.
former entrepreneur
2016-10-04, 5:13 PM #106
2016-10-04, 5:15 PM #107
This was fun. No hard feelings, right?
2016-10-04, 5:22 PM #108
Of course! No hard feelings.

I think I won though. :p
former entrepreneur
2016-10-04, 8:12 PM #109
Looks like Guccifer 2.0 hacked the Clinton Foundation and is releasing documents. Claimed it was easy. Makes me wonder then if they truly are just one person? A state actor? Think he's the person who gave stuff to Wikileaks?

CrowdStrike claimed it was Russia who did "the hack", but given reports show the DNC was hacked multiple times over the years I don't know. Over/under on what's happening?
2016-10-04, 9:22 PM #110
Guccifer 2.0 is donald trump's 10 year old son.
2016-10-04, 10:39 PM #111
There's absolutely nothing in the DNC leaks that has any actual value (aside from (somewhat) the only obvious-in-hindsight-trivia-nugget is confirming that Sanders didn't even have a chance in his own party), especially to Russia.

If Russia/China/Peter Molyneux/whoever has got hold of any information of actual value - say, related to US military secrets - the US isn't going to go all "hey lol we gut hacked!" unless the info actually shows up on the Internet or something. And it most likely wouldn't, since of course the owner of such hacked data would want to keep tactical information like that to themselves.

But enough about that. Time for the classics:

Damn, you burgerboys are nuts!
2016-10-07, 6:51 PM #112
Did anyone bother with the VP debate? I ended up downloading it from CNN Debates the next day and listening to most of it. Meh. I think the town hall is the next debate this weekend. I'm not a big fan of town hall debates but I do remember this classic moment:

And did we ever find out about the Dingle-Norwood bill?

2016-10-08, 3:04 AM #113
I hardly know anything about either VP pick.

Wikileaks released emails today which include partial transcripts of Hillary's closed door speeches. Basically exactly what youd expect her to say behind closed doors.

My favorite: "You need to have a public position and a private position on policy." Basically sums up why nobody trusts her. Also admits she wants maximum free borders and trade, meaning more NAFTA and implicity the big three trade deals.

This is who will be running the country in 100 days.
2016-10-08, 4:06 AM #114
Originally posted by Reid:
This is who will be running the country in 100 days.

No... Trump must win... I will have my 4-year Christmas!

I WILL HAVE MY 8-YEAR CHRISTMAS!
2016-10-08, 6:49 AM #115
Well, we've learned some interesting new techniques for how to introduce yourself to women.
>>untie shoes
2016-10-08, 9:47 AM #116
So it's officially unofficial. Donald Trump will be debating the next President of the United States tomorrow.

2016-10-08, 10:36 AM #117
Can't wait to see what Alec Baldwin does with this ****.

2016-10-08, 12:30 PM #118
Originally posted by Antony:
Well, we've learned some interesting new techniques for how to introduce yourself to women.

JUST GRAB THE PUSSY
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2016-10-08, 2:45 PM #119
Originally posted by Nikumubeki:
There's absolutely nothing in the DNC leaks that has any actual value (aside from (somewhat) the only obvious-in-hindsight-trivia-nugget is confirming that Sanders didn't even have a chance in his own party), especially to Russia.

If Russia/China/Peter Molyneux/whoever has got hold of any information of actual value - say, related to US military secrets - the US isn't going to go all "hey lol we gut hacked!" unless the info actually shows up on the Internet or something. And it most likely wouldn't, since of course the owner of such hacked data would want to keep tactical information like that to themselves.

But enough about that. Time for the classics:

Damn, you burgerboys are nuts!

Of course in the abstract we learned nothing new, but getting the concrete evidence does change things. We know now by admission of her own staff that it's best for her to keep working Americans "in the dark", that she blatantly supports free trade and open borders (think H1B), that she believes investment banking is good for the economy.

She's economically a Republican without the racism and sexism. Well, a bit of racism but that's because she just wants to destabilize brown people countries so she can control them, which is I guess better than genocide. She also doesn't hate black people too so there's that. She also directly admitted she has nothing in common with middle class Americans and as a corollary we know she's lying when she says she is about small business.

I have a feeling she will be similar to Obama but more militarily aggressive and incompetent.

And yeah, Trump has lost the election. Republicans are jumping ship to figure out what to do in 2020. Which is a good thing. I can only hope the party dissolves and a new more progressive party forms, making Democrats the new right-wing party.
2016-10-08, 3:10 PM #120
Hillary Clinton is a neoliberal, what, are y'all surprised? The Democratic Party is a Conservative party with urban populism, they are not a valid counterpoint to the Republican Party and its rural populism. You don't really get a choice.

By the way, H1-B is the literal opposite of open borders. It is a tightly rationed lottery program for foreign specialists (the fact that it is currently abused does not change the purpose of the program). It is also dual intent, which means you must apply for permission to apply for permanent residence (a step up from most other visas, which don't even allow that).

The US has absolutely nothing that even resembles an open immigration path.

Edit: unless you are rich or a business executive. EB-1 and 5.

↑ Up to the top!