Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What are you listening to these days?
What are you listening to these days?
2018-07-23, 4:42 PM #561
I was reminded that I saw Soundgarden at The Forum in Los Angeles five years ago yesterday, so I have been listening to Soundgarden stuff the last couple of days. I came across this:

Damn that boy had a great set of pipes
2018-07-26, 6:31 PM #562
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fbyfDbi-MI&t=1m57s

jfc
2018-07-30, 6:12 PM #563
R.E.M.'s earliest (recorded) performance!

Some funny dancing by Michael Stipe; lots of songs that made it onto their early albums.
2018-07-30, 6:30 PM #564
Best song ever.

"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2018-07-30, 6:34 PM #565
ooo that r.e.m. video is funky
former entrepreneur
2018-07-30, 6:35 PM #566
art band!
former entrepreneur
2018-07-30, 7:55 PM #567
Originally posted by Eversor:
ooo that r.e.m. video is funky

That last song in particular....
2018-07-30, 7:58 PM #568
Also, does anybody know what the heck is going on at 47:14? Is this something related to Iran-Contra? (lol, sorry Wookie)
2018-07-30, 8:06 PM #569
Actually right now I'm listening to the Velvet Underground's fourth album, Loaded. (I probably waited too long after being blown away by their self-titled album to give it a shot, but this is good stuff.)
2018-07-30, 8:11 PM #570
SMH, what would make you think Edwin Meese had anything to do with Iran-Contra? Sigh, it was "controversial" because he supposedly wasn't qualified for the promotion and should have known, therefore, that he received some sort of special treatment. So, basically, a non-scandal scandal.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2018-07-30, 8:31 PM #571
Well, he did say something about a colonel. Thank you, though.
2018-08-01, 12:53 PM #572

(With Earl Slick for the guitar solo)
2018-08-01, 1:20 PM #573
Originally posted by Reverend Jones:
That last song in particular....

Sounds a lot like... Wire... or the Buzzcocks. Pretty cool.

And damn his voice is incredible.

I love the 80s.
former entrepreneur
2018-08-01, 1:31 PM #574
It's interesting to hear that early live performance because a lot of it I recognize from what later became Murmur and Reckoning... but it's mixed in with all these other interesting directions I've never heard before, apparently before the band had settled on what their sound was going to be like.
2018-08-03, 11:35 PM #575
Code:
____
           / __ \
          ( (__) )
          _\____/___
         /  |  |   /\
        /_________/  \_
           /          \    \
          /            \    \_
         /              \     \
        /    _     _     \     \_
       /    / |   //      \      \
      /    //||  //        \      \_
     /       || || __       \       \
    /        || ||/__\       \       \_
       /         || ||/  \\       \        \
      /         _||_ \\__//        \        \_
     /          ----  ----     __   \         \
    /      _____   _   _   _  //     \        /
   /      |__ __| / \ | \ | | \\      \      /
  /         | |  | O ||  \| |  \\      \    /
 /          |_|   \_/ |_|\__| _//       \  /
/________________________________________\/
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2018-08-03, 11:41 PM #576
haha, "plowpunk"? That sounds interesting.
2018-08-04, 10:03 AM #577
tennessee ernie ford you savage
2018-08-08, 10:35 PM #578
2018-08-11, 6:32 PM #579
2018-08-11, 6:49 PM #580
2018-08-11, 7:40 PM #581

this album is some good **** to listen to while I ride my motorbike
2018-08-14, 10:10 PM #582

this song makes me laugh

what's the subtext?
2018-08-14, 10:36 PM #583
Originally posted by Steven:

this album is some good **** to listen to while I ride my motorbike

I ****ing love this band and I want to have sex with all of them.

I really like this version too.

Also this song will forever be my mid 20s

2018-08-15, 2:31 AM #584

Can't get enough Laibach. Love this group.
2018-08-15, 4:47 PM #585
To start:

German industrial music is ****ing rad.

I might write up an essay later on Laibach. They are definitely one of the most utterly fascinating musical groups I've ever come across.
2018-08-15, 5:45 PM #586
Okay, so on Laibach. They're a Slovenian avant garde band, doing kind of industrial music but also not. Genre is less important though. If you watched Tanz mit Laibach, you surely saw the overt Nazi and fascist imagery. Not even remotely accidental. Before I go into that, check out this song, particularly the chorus (at 1:03):

Then compare that to Laibach's infamous cover of Life is Life:

Did you catch what they're doing? Life is Life by Laibach is the most overtly fascistic music video ever made. Yes, even more than Tanz mit Laibach. To be honest, I didn't really catch the fascism the first time I watched it, I just felt a bit unsettled. The second I realized the entire thing recalls strongly Triumph des Willens. The shots of mountains, triumphant poses, the water shot mimicking the canal scenes, then the final third of the video where the singer is shot from below with lighting from below (a la Leni Riefenstahl), while the other band members gaze up at the singer, strongly recalling onlookers of Hitler's speeches. The song itself is made militaristic with rolling drums, the melody taken from sung la-las to triumphant trumpets. It's all very obvious.

So, uh, what the ****, right? They're being pretty blatant. What are they trying to say? There's the dumb interpretation, the obvious one, that they're implying Opus and Life is Life is actually fascist. I think this is the wrong interpretation. Consider the lyrics of the original Life is Life:

Quote:
Life is life (a bunch)

When we all give the power
We all give the best
Every minute of an hour
Don't think about the rest

And you all get the power
You all get the best
When everyone gets everything and every song
Everybody sings

In the original life is life is taken to mean something like c'est la vie, which is to say "this is just how things are". What Laibach is doing is exposing how the lyrics of this song reflect work and subservient ideology within western democracy. But what they're actually not doing is saying western democracy is fascistic. What they're saying is many different ideologies, no matter their shape or form or desirability - depend on sucking the life out of us in order to sustain itself. Life is life in their version doesn't mean c'est la vie, rather it means more like life (our lives) is Life (the life of the political system). We give our lives to sustaining the political and social order. If you ever watch Der Sieg des Glaubens, Hitler's speeches deliver this message almost exactly. The German worker is to give themselves to the fascist system for the glory of Germany. We don't have that affect in democracy. Instead, we sing it to people in easy to listen to pop songs.

Consider how they modify the chorus:

Quote:
And we all get the power
We all get the best
When everyone gives everything
Then everyone everything will get

Quote:
And everyone gives everything
And every soul everyone will feel

Quote:
And everyone lost everything
And perished with the rest.

This alongside with the shot of graves along with a boldly sung "Life!", the ending set in a mausoleum, make it pretty apparent that "life is life" is really meant to represent the sinister aspect of giving yourself totally, how "life is life" is meant to mean your life is sucked out of you until death. It is a total and complete end of anything else you could ever be. You live to support the system's life. And their point is that, this isn't really unique to fascism. Opus' song is the democratic, happy version of sublimating yourself wholly to the system. I mean, really, what else could the lyrics mean? Read them again:

Quote:
When we all give the power
We all give the best
Every minute of an hour
Don't think about the rest

It literally just says "work and don't think about your situation". It's like the They Live dream song, a super happy, easy to sing along to overture to complete and total control of yourself. The fascist imagery I think sets out to accomplish something. It's to say: people often paint democratic systems as the polar opposite of fascism. But they aren't in every way. There still exist systems and messages to sublimate people, it's just ideologically blurred instead of being made direct and apparent like in fascism.

Which is why I find them fascinating. And why I think Zizek makes a bunch more sense, now. Zizek is from the same country as them (Laibach's political history in Slovenia is vast, influential and important). I think a big part of Zizek's critique of ideology comes from Laibach's actions. He has spoken about it:

I think he's right here. Most people wouldn't take Opus' lyrics seriously, that it reflects any sort of serious ideology. I think it actually does, and we're all trained in some way to put ironic distances between ourselves and these ideologies. If Laibach was obviously ironic in the way they present their fascist imagery, it would make it too easy to "get" and laugh as a joke. By taking themselves seriously, they then make the message more serious. They want us really to understand and feel how our lives are controlled in democratic societies. I think there's more than enough evidence out there that they don't support fascism, moreover the more I think on it that sort of question is really a dumb one.

Naturally, Laibach was the first western group brought in to perform for North Korea.
2018-08-15, 6:05 PM #587
When it comes to Tanz mit Laibach, translation Dance with Laibach, the song is about dancing. Not literal dancing. Dancing I think means war in this song. Lyrics, translated:

Quote:
One two three four
Bruederchen (little bro), come dance with me
One two three four
I hands you both hands
One two three four
My friends, dance with me
One two three four
All around, that's not difficult

Who's speaking here? Well, America. Because the song is about America getting European allies to go to war in Iraq. The lyrics make this clear near the end:

Quote:
We dance and we jump
We are picking and singing
We fall and rise
We give or take
American friends
And German comrade
We dance well
We dance to Baghdad

Of course, this was released in 2003, when the debates about the Iraq war were hot. What I find interesting, though, is this part of the lyrics:

Quote:
We dance Ado Hinkel
Benzino napoloni
We dance Schiekelgrueber
And dance with Maitreya
With totalitarianism
And with democracy
We dance with fascism
And red anarchy

Hinkel and Napoloni are, obviously, the characters from Chaplin's The Great Dictator, who are stand-ins for Hitler and Mussolini. So they are the American comedic representations of fascist leaders. I'm not sure about Schiekelgruber, or the Buddhist reference, but the last part talks about dancing with totalitarianism, democracy, fascism and red anarchy. Really meaning that, in their view, wars of aggression against a nation can be done irregardless of ideology. Anyone can dance the dance of war. The "Great Dictator" references are, I think, a commentary about how American democracy beat German and Italian fascism, but now American democracy is pressuring those same defeated partners into a war of aggression, part of the war crimes America charged against Germany in the Nuremberg trials.

So, as above, the commentary isn't to say America is fascist. It's saying that western democracy is also capable of wars of aggression. That is also not unique to fascism. It exposes the inability of our social systems to produce results that truly are antithetical to fascism.
2018-08-15, 6:07 PM #588
So I think they're like, hippy dippy leftist postmodernists trying to deconstruct modern art by using strong fascist imagery. While this has the potential to go really wrong, I think they manage to do it well. If this was interesting to you at all (I hope it was), there's much much more about their background in Slovenia and generally that's super interesting and helps contextualize them and their views even more.
2018-08-16, 8:01 AM #589
Anyone here dig Jazz? I’ve been getting into a lot of 1940-1960 big band stuff. From Glenn Miller and Artie Shaw, to The Duke and Stan Getz. I also enjoy Harry James and find some unique singers through him, including:

EDIT: tried desperately to get this video to work... to no avail. Anyone got some tips for me on posting a YouTube video?

https://youtu.be/ixrbi8ZYb3o
" I am the Lizard King, I can do anyhthing... "
2018-08-16, 8:28 AM #590
2018-08-16, 9:59 AM #591
Originally posted by Darth_Xasthur:
Anyone here dig Jazz? I’ve been getting into a lot of 1940-1960 big band stuff. From Glenn Miller and Artie Shaw, to The Duke and Stan Getz. I also enjoy Harry James and find some unique singers through him, including:

EDIT: tried desperately to get this video to work... to no avail. Anyone got some tips for me on posting a YouTube video?

Use
nope.
2018-08-16, 12:47 PM #592
Originally posted by Darth_Xasthur:

About a year ago I was quite into Jizz Jazz
2018-08-16, 12:49 PM #593
Mac DeMarco and his Jizz Wailers!

2018-08-16, 12:52 PM #594
Originally posted by saberopus:

Wow, the first couple bars of this are basically the "Force" theme from A New Hope. WTF
2018-08-16, 1:12 PM #595
i got an email about this doom album thats actually pretty chill so Ive been giving it a try. I love the album art too https://bellwitch.bandcamp.com/album/mirror-reaper
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2018-08-17, 4:36 PM #596
2018-08-18, 7:03 AM #597
Mac DeMarco and his Jizz Wailers!

Lol, my Gf loves Jizz music. Especially the Jizz I make. Best sound around. All jokes aside, I really want to know the individual that coined that phrase. In the Star Wars Universe I mean. Was it Lucas himself? Whoever it was, that guy must have had some kinda foresight.

Wow, the first couple bars of this are basically the "Force" theme from A New Hope. WTF

I'm listenning really hard!
" I am the Lizard King, I can do anyhthing... "
2018-08-21, 7:27 AM #598

I really want to make gifs of the unsettling Data footage. Freaky stuff.
My blawgh.
2018-08-21, 9:16 AM #599

Besides being hair-raising at 3:25, but the lyrics of this song I feel are a huge foresight and criticism of Elon Musk's technocratic futurism.

I'm not sure what "B Mashina" is supposed to mean exactly, it's never explained, but I think it's supposed to be something akin to the Zyklon B, but through pure industry. The lyrics are about a destroyed planet covered in industry. A small cabal of the "most capable" are singing proudly about leaving humanity for the stars. Which means allowing everybody left on earth to die.
2018-08-21, 7:58 PM #600
former entrepreneur

↑ Up to the top!