Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → COVID-19
COVID-19
2020-03-10, 6:08 PM #41
Originally posted by Reverend Jones:
yay, fever is gone, and no cough. It seems I have not been visited by based Corona-chan.

^ Brian, quarantine this man from the Massassi forums before it's too late.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2020-03-10, 6:37 PM #42
Quarantine the Trump thread!
2020-03-10, 7:09 PM #43
It’s already self quarantined
2020-03-10, 7:43 PM #44
Oh man I knew we were ****ed but watching the cluster**** that is the reaction to this on every level confirms that we are going to do precisely dick about damage to the climate.

I would start drinking to celibate this but I don't want to hit my immune system atm ffs theyre taking it all away!
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2020-03-10, 7:56 PM #45
Are there any other countries doing nothing, or is it still just the one?
2020-03-10, 8:23 PM #46
I keep hearing the virus will be subdued due to warmer seasonal weather. Sounds like bull****, it must have come from some stupid tweet.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2020-03-10, 8:24 PM #47
Our health officials seem to be downplaying this somewhat. I mean, their announcements seem tailored to easing people's nerves rather than giving an up-to-date overview on what is really known about the virus at this time. On the other hand, diagnosed people are being quarantined and the situation seems well under control for now. I don't know, I suppose the public communication is proportionate to our domestic circumstances. It just makes me a bit uncomfortable seeing as that situation may swiftly change.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2020-03-10, 8:29 PM #48
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
I keep hearing the virus will be subdued due to warmer seasonal weather. Sounds like bull****, it must have come from some stupid tweet.
Cold and flu season isn’t 100% understood. Flu virus appears to have sheath proteins that break down in higher temperatures, and its thought that colds (including coronaviruses) can infect easier when cold dry air compromises your airway. It’s also thought that cold weather forces people inside more, so they’re more frequently exposed to cold and flu viruses.

This particular virus doesn’t appear to have much trouble spreading in tropical and Mediterranean climates though so my uneducated guess is that this is a fantasy of people who just don’t want to think about being inconvenienced. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
2020-03-10, 8:30 PM #49
Originally posted by Krokodile:
Our health officials seem to be downplaying this somewhat. I mean, their announcements seem tailored to easing people's nerves rather than giving an up-to-date overview on what is really known about the virus at this time. On the other hand, diagnosed people are being quarantined and the situation seems well under control for now. I don't know, I suppose the public communication is proportionate to our domestic circumstances. It just makes me a bit uncomfortable seeing as that situation may swiftly change.

Have you considered hoarding toilet paper
2020-03-10, 8:50 PM #50
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Have you considered hoarding toilet paper

No. I don't even need much toilet paper. In Finland, bidet showers are ubiquitous in bathrooms, including mine, and I use that along with just a bit of paper afterwards. Not everyone does this, though, and I've seen some odd stories about toilet paper hoarding around here. I'm sure it happens somewhere, but they're probably isolated incidents. Living in Helsinki, I haven't noticed any toilet paper shortage in stores so far.

Hand sanitizers, on the other hand, are pretty much gone.
2020-03-11, 12:02 AM #51

March 9th: The virus is contained
March 10: The time for containment has passed

Beware the middle of march **** is going to be so weird by then. I have my AR_14 ready luckily. So many good memes the last few days.

Toilet paper cartels are going to uncover serious cracks in modern society
2020-03-11, 3:09 AM #52
Guys, I did some research[/i] and I take back my criticism. From what I gather, our Finnish health officials are actually being quite realistic and appropriate in their approach to public communication on the coronavirus. It's just a difference between some of the people and tabloids disseminating panic online and the more factual officials who are continuously surveying the situation and trying to respond appropriately. Finland's strategy is to try to ensure that we have adequate resources to treat everyone who needs it by delaying the spread of the virus.
2020-03-11, 4:57 AM #53
I like the virus. We're currently allowed to fully work from home, which is a real blessing.

Also, I was grocery shopping today and it looked like the supermarket has overstocked toilet paper.
Sorry for the lousy German
2020-03-11, 5:04 AM #54
Even the grocers are stocking up on toilet paper!!!
2020-03-11, 7:18 AM #55
****ing grocers hoarding toilet paper. ****ing grocers profiteering w/ toilet paper! ****ing GROCcers!!
2020-03-11, 7:32 AM #56
"I like the virus." –Impi the German, 3/11/2020
2020-03-11, 1:54 PM #57
I love you guys.
2020-03-11, 3:22 PM #58
Originally posted by Krokodile:
Guys, I did some research and I take back my criticism.

Get this man a medal.
you can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than you can with just a kind word
2020-03-11, 3:35 PM #59
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Cold and flu season isn’t 100% understood. Flu virus appears to have sheath proteins that break down in higher temperatures, and its thought that colds (including coronaviruses) can infect easier when cold dry air compromises your airway. It’s also thought that cold weather forces people inside more, so they’re more frequently exposed to cold and flu viruses.

This particular virus doesn’t appear to have much trouble spreading in tropical and Mediterranean climates though so my uneducated guess is that this is a fantasy of people who just don’t want to think about being inconvenienced. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I married a biologist once and that's the extent of my credentials so take this more as someone sharing information he found interesting than hard data. From my understanding there are a dozen contributing factors but one that stands out to me as directly weather related is due to something called "hydrogen-bonding" which is water's tendency to draw towards itself, which is how clouds form (and on a long enough timeline, everything in the universe formed that way). So when you cough it lingers in the air but in a humid environment the cough droplets combine with moisture in the air and get heavier, and sink to the ground faster.
you can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than you can with just a kind word
2020-03-11, 4:46 PM #60
sounds like a bunch of liberal bull****

2020-03-11, 5:09 PM #61
Vote Raoul Pal
2020-03-11, 5:45 PM #62
So... is the whole 'I need TP for my COVID" all about scaring people into buying non-perishable stuff that was never needed? Whereas i's hard to convince people to buy 10 gallons of milk they won't drink because people have finite fridge space, you have basically unlimited closet space for extra toilet paper.
2020-03-11, 6:16 PM #63
So... is the whole 'I need TP for my COVID" all about scaring people into buying non-perishable stuff that was never needed? Whereas i's hard to convince people to buy 10 gallons of milk they won't drink because people have finite fridge space, you have basically unlimited closet space for extra toilet paper.

its about modern americans literally not knowing how to wipe their own ass let alone accumulate the resources they need to look after themselves
2020-03-11, 6:19 PM #64
I've been holding it for a week because I can't find toilet paper anywhere. It hurts!!!
2020-03-11, 6:51 PM #65
You could try asking them, but it might be hard to understand the answer around all of the sputtering and drool.

Serious answer, hoarding toilet paper has been an American disaster preparedness meme for about 50 years. Humans are biologically hard wired to accumulate resources when stressed, so when something like this happens (which they aren’t prepared to think critically about to begin with) they basically ask themselves: what resources would dad have hoarded? And the answer is always toilet paper.
2020-03-11, 7:04 PM #66

You don't have 10 gallons of milk saved up?
2020-03-11, 7:18 PM #67
you can freeze it
2020-03-11, 8:27 PM #68

what are you talking about, i can only fit like one package of toilet paper in my fridge
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2020-03-11, 9:00 PM #69
Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane:
what are you talking about, i can only fit like one package of toilet paper in my fridge

Spook just said you can freeze it.
2020-03-11, 9:18 PM #70
sometimes this subreddit feels like a bunch of norm macdolan sockpuppets tweeting at eachotehr
2020-03-11, 10:18 PM #71

No, people are easily convinced to hoard perishable items. In the Midwest, every medium sized snow (we get several every winter) causes hoards of idiots to buy all the eggs, milk and bread in the city.
2020-03-11, 11:31 PM #72
Do McDonald's french fries count as perishable or non-perishable?

Because on the eve of Y2K, I remember reading a funny story about some bozo who had filled his basement with orders of fries from Micky D's.
2020-03-12, 1:01 AM #73
My father wanted to buy some toilet paper but didn't because he was afraid the people would think he was one of the hoarding idiots.
2020-03-12, 2:01 AM #74
https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540747/all/Coronavirus_COVID_19__SARS_CoV_2_

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

(Could be useful info)
2020-03-12, 6:06 AM #75
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
No, people are easily convinced to hoard perishable items. In the Midwest, every medium sized snow (we get several every winter) causes hoards of idiots to buy all the eggs, milk and bread in the city.

How do you know they're not just having a french toast bonanza?
2020-03-12, 7:04 AM #76
I've got some schadenfreude toward Trump right now. His awful management style didn't have a huge short term impact when nothing went wrong, and for a remarkably long time, he didn't really have any real problems that weren't PR disasters of his own making. If nothing serious goes wrong, the system coasts pretty well on it's own momentum with effective leadership. But the moment you have to decisively steer that system in a new direction to cope with some major issue, it all falls apart. Trump's idiotic, mercurial management style has left the administration a dysfunctional wreck of yes men and manipulators with independent agendas. But now that people are actually scared, the administration is performing about as well as it could be expected to, which doesn't cut the mustard. Was the slow response really that big a deal? Who knows, but from the perspective of the public and investors, it doesn't really matter. Trump's ban on European travel was an attempt to look strong and decisive, but it reeks of the same desperate knee jerk reaction that we've come to expect from him in the past. Now the market is in free fall, there is big vague threat looming and the markets doesn't have any faith that the Trump administration has any handle on the situation.
2020-03-12, 7:38 AM #77
And now they've closed the schools in most states in Germany. My children are happy. My wife might take them to her parent's holiday home in northern Germany. I hope they've got enough toilet paper there.
2020-03-12, 8:01 AM #78
https://www.tradingview.com/chart/SPX/AFvjo9hw-FAKE-NEWS-THE-VIRUS-IS-NOT-SPREADING-IT-S-A-SCAM-READ/
2020-03-12, 8:05 AM #79
Hey Jon`C what would you say is a reasonable level of concern about the coronavirus at this time?
2020-03-12, 8:28 AM #80
Medium-light concern sprinkled with brief moments of heavy concern.

↑ Up to the top!