Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → COVID-19
COVID-19
2020-03-12, 8:34 AM #81
Originally posted by Impi:
My father wanted to buy some toilet paper but didn't because he was afraid the people would think he was one of the hoarding idiots.

I bought some TP yesterday, and I wish I could say I did so entirely unselfconsciously.
2020-03-12, 9:02 AM #82
Originally posted by saberopus:
Medium-light concern sprinkled with brief moments of heavy concern.

Thanks saberopus but I just carefully examined your username and failed to find "Jon`C"
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2020-03-12, 9:28 AM #83
Woops, logged into the wrong account.
2020-03-12, 12:20 PM #84
Shaken, not stirred.
2020-03-12, 1:51 PM #85
omg 10% this is going to get ****ed up lmao
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2020-03-12, 2:00 PM #86
Originally posted by Krokodile:
Hey Jon`C what would you say is a reasonable level of concern about the coronavirus at this time?
Tough question. It depends on your personal situation. As a healthy young non-smoker* your personal risks are financial first, injury or unrelated illness during the height of the outbreak second, supply shortages third. All three problems come from the same source. Our countries are aggressively optimized toward more typical conditions, so we’ve become very bad at dealing with crises. That’s why your personal risks are where they are.

Collectively, pretty much everybody’s gonna get this thing, it’s just a question of when. It’s also pretty much guaranteed that our healthcare systems (optimized for flu season) aren’t going to be able to handle it. But the fewer people sick at once, the lower the death toll is going to be. That’s the priority right now. So you have a social responsibility to wash your hands and to stay home if you’re sick. Statistically, if you don’t avoid spreading it (by e.g. going to work when sick) you are literally killing 1 person.

So, I dunno. It’s concerning? Panic isn’t helpful. But you should probably change your behaviour for a little while, especially if you’re the kind of selfish slob who goes to work sick and doesn’t wash his hands.
2020-03-12, 2:54 PM #87
My brother has a friend who's working for the chancelor and he said that they will probably lock down Germany on Monday. I went out and bought some hamsters, just in case.
Sorry for the lousy German
2020-03-12, 3:33 PM #88
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
I've got some schadenfreude toward Trump right now. His awful management style didn't have a huge short term impact when nothing went wrong, and for a remarkably long time, he didn't really have any real problems that weren't PR disasters of his own making. If nothing serious goes wrong, the system coasts pretty well on it's own momentum with effective leadership. But the moment you have to decisively steer that system in a new direction to cope with some major issue, it all falls apart. Trump's idiotic, mercurial management style has left the administration a dysfunctional wreck of yes men and manipulators with independent agendas. But now that people are actually scared, the administration is performing about as well as it could be expected to, which doesn't cut the mustard. Was the slow response really that big a deal? Who knows, but from the perspective of the public and investors, it doesn't really matter. Trump's ban on European travel was an attempt to look strong and decisive, but it reeks of the same desperate knee jerk reaction that we've come to expect from him in the past. Now the market is in free fall, there is big vague threat looming and the markets doesn't have any faith that the Trump administration has any handle on the situation.

Pretty apt description of what's going on.
2020-03-12, 4:05 PM #89
If it's schadenfreude you're looking for, maybe that Brazilian aide who has the virus coughed on Trump the other day when they had a meeting.
2020-03-12, 5:31 PM #90
Jon`C basically just quoted Glenn Beck.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2020-03-12, 6:16 PM #91
Originally posted by Wookie06:
Jon`C basically just quoted Glenn Beck.

Up to the “and therefore we need to exterminate the lesser races” part anyway.
2020-03-12, 6:49 PM #92
There needs to be an element of truth in humor for it to work.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2020-03-12, 6:57 PM #93
Originally posted by Wookie06:
There needs to be an element of truth in humor for it to work.

ikr?

https://mobile.twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1236778368533700609
2020-03-12, 11:33 PM #94
What was that?

2020-03-12, 11:35 PM #95
The sound of POTUS sleeping through world history at Wharton, it seems.
2020-03-13, 4:04 AM #96
https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

tl;dr: holy **** we’re ****ed
2020-03-13, 4:11 AM #97
Disclaimer: author seems not to be a medical professional.
2020-03-13, 4:19 AM #98
I'm officially working from home, now.

NYC massassian here.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2020-03-13, 4:45 AM #99
Jon pointed out the financial concerns with the pandemic, and I feel like that will really be the biggest most enduring problem. Severe consequences to the global economy (and to national economies due both to said global economy and national measures against the pandemic) seem likely.
2020-03-13, 6:23 AM #100
The economy was Merkel's second highest priority. Highest priority was to keep hospitals supplied and functioning and second was to keep the economy working. The state will somehow hand out compensations to struggling companies. Don't know how that will work, but we'll see.
Sorry for the lousy German
2020-03-13, 9:07 AM #101
I’m sure whatever measures we get will be carefully designed so that the ~wrong people~ don’t benefit.
2020-03-13, 12:15 PM #102
i bet after this national emergency tronald dump closes the interstates and sends national guard places just so he can feel awesome.

I will be strumming my guitar while i watch the replic burn this is going to be amazing.

Real talk though Louisiana is freaking people out because it looks like 1/3-1/2 of all tests are positive there because theyve only tested like 100 people.
2020-03-13, 12:23 PM #103
Spook are you in Louisiana rn? I can bring a big trash can lid to bang on while you strum. FYI though I'm an asymptomatic carrier, and I'm not talking about COVID, if you follow me.
2020-03-13, 12:36 PM #104
NATIONAL EMERGENCY declared by Trump just now.
2020-03-13, 1:07 PM #105
Spook are you in Louisiana rn? I can bring a big trash can lid to bang on while you strum. FYI though I'm an asymptomatic carrier, and I'm not talking about COVID, if you follow me.

Nah Im in Zion

Korky stop reposting stuff I say
2020-03-13, 1:10 PM #106
https://komonews.com/news/coronavirus/man-awaiting-covid-19-test-results-walks-away-from-king-countys-kent-motel
2020-03-13, 1:44 PM #107
Originally posted by Spook:
Korky stop reposting stuff I say

You used the words national emergency before Trump had even declared it on air so I thought the declaration was free game to point out. :gbk:
2020-03-13, 2:05 PM #108
President Donald Trump of the United States of America declared today what Spook had long expected: a national State of Emergency. This fact was relayed by none other than someone else shortly thereafter.
2020-03-13, 2:15 PM #109
I hereby declare my unreserved appreciation for saberopus' continued support and cooperation amid this international crisis.
2020-03-13, 2:27 PM #110
sabs would have no career without me for material
2020-03-13, 2:47 PM #111
Originally posted by Jon`C:
I’m sure whatever measures we get will be carefully designed so that the ~wrong people~ don’t benefit.

[nodding, muttering darkly] The Italians.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2020-03-13, 3:17 PM #112
They just announced closure of my son's school district through at least April 24th.
2020-03-13, 3:23 PM #113
Originally posted by Spook:
sabs would have no career without me for material

What can I say, I'm a born riffer. .(

But I still have way more posts ragging on Niku than you, so far. B'oh!
2020-03-13, 3:28 PM #114
B'oh!
2020-03-13, 3:50 PM #115
But I still have way more posts ragging on Niku than you, so far. B'oh!

Do you guys have a competition in doing that?
2020-03-13, 4:01 PM #116
No its more posts ragging on Darling Nikki than ragging on me, not than I have ragging on Nikolas Gayg
2020-03-13, 4:17 PM #117
I'm trying to sleep and a neighbor is listening to some ****ty music with its incessantly thumping bass being carried through for me to enjoy much more loudly than I'd like. It's 1:17 AM. I don't think I can even complain to anyone because the music probably isn't even being played all that loud, the sound isolation in my building is just almost nonexistent. This stresses me out more than the coronavirus for now, although I recognize that this isn't as serious as people dying and the economy collapsing and all that jazz.
2020-03-13, 4:34 PM #118
Just kidding I don't care about that so much.

So anyway, the virus, yeah. A vaccine would be awesome. They could deploy it to risk groups like the elderly first so that countless lives would be saved. I wonder what the chances are that there'll be a vaccine at some point.
2020-03-13, 5:39 PM #119
probably pretty high if its possible since the shot callers and capital holders are all in the risk group
2020-03-13, 5:54 PM #120
Chinese vaccine: ready in April, provided free to all PRC and EU residents

Canadian vaccine: ready in 18 months, $15 covered by your private insurance

American vaccine: Government gives $2 billion grants to Gilead every month, vaccine never finished, FDA blocks approval of foreign vaccines. Eventually the grant money dries up and a vaccine gets approved. $18,000.

↑ Up to the top!