Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → COVID-19
COVID-19
2020-04-05, 2:18 PM #281
The US government took the coronavirus seriously. I mean, duh. They all sold stock.
2020-04-05, 2:33 PM #282
thanks
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2020-04-06, 10:25 PM #283
No leader in the world has taken the coronavirus more seriously than Boris Johnson.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2020-04-06, 10:31 PM #284
Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane:
No leader in the world has taken the coronavirus more seriously than Boris Johnson.

If shaking hands with COVID-19 patients got him sick, maybe he should try shaking hands with healthy people to get better?

I have to get the jokes in now because if he dies I won't be able to.
2020-04-07, 1:30 AM #285
Originally posted by Jon`C:
If shaking hands with COVID-19 patients got him sick, maybe he should try shaking hands with healthy people to get better?

I have to get the jokes in now because if he dies I won't be able to.

Look: I will not only keep doing the jokes, I will do them harder.
2020-04-07, 6:31 AM #286
Try as I might, I cannot really come up with a good reason to not make jokes if he dies.

If you liked Brexit, you'll love Borexit.
>>untie shoes
2020-04-07, 7:36 AM #287
Man who's never had to face the consequences of his own actions due to money faced with grim reality then.

I've seen a lot of people in the past day that won't seem to hear a word against the guy because he's ill, and genuinely the only reason I can think why is because they love the taste of boot. The tory party has absolutely zero empathy and I whilst I don't wish the guy ill I can't say I exactly wish him well either.

The country is temporarily being ran by a man nobody had ever heard of before he was made Brexit secretary. A job he was so unbelievably bad at he resigned because he "couldn't support" the deal he personally negotiated.
nope.
2020-04-08, 1:22 AM #288
Boot connoisseurs are rampant right now. Either they are pointlessly defiant of ineffectual suggestions to social distance and stay home (common sense until somebody somewhere understands more about what is going on) and thus give the boot an excuse to appear, or people are clamoring for the boot to control their lives and track them even though they are staying inside. Neither of these leather lovers seem distressed by or willing to acknowledge that all of this indicates that we squandered the unprecedented prosperity of the modern age and did nothing to make ourselves a society that can coordinate without the presence of boots filled with sloppy losers. It's more about them LARPing as a rugged individual or a good citizen.

Also I think it was Jones that posted /r/COVID19 as a more science based arena for discussion, that was true like a week and a half ago, now it's just the home for the 'this is a nothingburger, we need to sacrifice people for the economy. Enough. with social distancing' bros who use too many periods. Not exactly worse than the end of the world /r/coronavirus but not exactly better. More literature links I guess over news.
2020-04-08, 2:32 AM #289
Haha recently I saw a thread on /r/COVID19 where they were disparaging /r/coronavirus for (paraphrasing) "not only predicting the worst outcome of the pandemic, but hoping it comes to pass".

Well, I have news for you guys.
And... jesus christ, who the hell is that corporate apologist in the uniform.
2020-04-08, 2:36 AM #290
What's next, now that all the PPE has been seized en route to hospitals that ordered them, is the federal government going to order California to end its shelter in place so that we can stop ruining Trump's economy and precipitate a second wave of COVID patients? Now that all the N95 masks have been sold overseas or to red states connected to the 6 or 7 profiteers that Jared Kushner has deemed worth of grifting PPE profits from states they stole it from?

Is Trump looking to make enough of a buck from this pandemic to pay off his creditors or something? Because it sure looks like nurses and doctors are being sacrificed in order to profit off of equipment stolen from them. What is this, Nazi Germany, with paintings being seized? Are county sheriffs going to have to start staging fake PPE shipments and hiding the real ones?
2020-04-08, 3:46 AM #291
https://mobile.twitter.com/DavidBegnaud/status/1245906088911949826
2020-04-08, 4:51 AM #292
I guess we'll have to wait and see if the 200M masks that California has ordered will be seized by FEMA.
2020-04-08, 7:46 AM #293

"a group of people who literally when they showed up they exchanged business cards to get to know each other in the middle of a disaster"

This is getting increasingly ****ing bonkers bro

EDIT:To be clear he is referring to a previous time but let's be honest the same sorts (and in some cases the same) psychopaths are running things.
2020-04-08, 2:57 PM #294
"Assuming a serial interval of 6–9 days, we calculated a median R0 value of 5.7 (95% CI 3.8–8.9)."

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/7/20-0282_article
2020-04-08, 6:53 PM #295
Oof. I think the standard flu is around 1.2 or so.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2020-04-08, 7:43 PM #296
I believe so. The range of measles was calculated at 12-18 I guess so it could be worse but I've seen the 1918 flu stated as like 1.3.
2020-04-10, 6:19 PM #297
Originally posted by Reverend Jones:
What's next, now that all the PPE has been seized en route to hospitals that ordered them, is the federal government going to order California to end its shelter in place so that we can stop ruining Trump's economy and precipitate a second wave of COVID patients? Now that all the N95 masks have been sold overseas or to red states connected to the 6 or 7 profiteers that Jared Kushner has deemed worth of grifting PPE profits from states they stole it from?

Is Trump looking to make enough of a buck from this pandemic to pay off his creditors or something? Because it sure looks like nurses and doctors are being sacrificed in order to profit off of equipment stolen from them. What is this, Nazi Germany, with paintings being seized? Are county sheriffs going to have to start staging fake PPE shipments and hiding the real ones?

I think there are advantage to respecting the states' rights to an extent, but in a national emergency, I think it makes sense for a central power to distribute limited resources where they are needed most. California's trajectory is one of the best in the country. Arguably, there are states that need things like that way more.
2020-04-10, 6:39 PM #298
I don't mind the federal government managing the disaster response centrally, even if that means overruling California. What I do mind is private contractors being gifted resources in order to turn a profit. That is basically profiteering off the crisis.
2020-04-11, 8:12 AM #299
Yeah, it's not a great system. Like most things though, it's something that needed to be planned out before the problem actually occurred. We're not traditionally good at doing that.
2020-04-11, 4:08 PM #300
For the record, this guy's reaction to the news that the feds were possibly diverting the supplies toward the national stockpile using FEMA, in order to be distributed to private companies to be sold as a commercial transaction, rather than letting the military manage the logistics, said that we already had the latter system in place but that it was simply not being used.
2020-04-15, 7:15 PM #301
Fox News: Sources believe coronavirus originated in Wuhan lab as part of China's efforts to compete with US

Quote:

EXCLUSIVE: There is increasing confidence that COVID-19 likely originated in a Wuhan laboratory not as a bioweapon, but as part of China's effort to demonstrate that its efforts to identify and combat viruses are equal to or greater than the capabilities of the United States, multiple sources who have been briefed on the details of early actions by China's government and seen relevant materials tell Fox News.

This may be the "costliest government coverup of all time," one of the sources said.

The sources believe the initial transmission of the virus was bat-to-human, and that "patient zero" worked at the laboratory, then went into the population in Wuhan.

The “increasing confidence” comes from classified and open-source documents and evidence, the sources said. Fox News has requested to see the evidence directly.

Asked by Fox News' John Roberts about the reporting, President Trump remarked at Wednesday's coronavirus press briefing, "More and more we're hearing the story...we are doing a very thorough examination of this horrible situation."

Documents detail early efforts by doctors at the lab and early efforts at containment. The Wuhan wet market initially identified as a possible point of origin never sold bats, and the sources tell Fox News that blaming the wet market was an effort by China to deflect blame from the laboratory, along with the country's propaganda efforts targeting the U.S. and Italy.

U.S. Embassy officials warned in January 2018 about inadequate safety at the Wuhan Institute of Virology lab and passed on information about scientists conducting risky research on coronavirus from bats, The Washington Post reported Tuesday.

Responding to the report, Gen. Mark Milley, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said Tuesday afternoon: "It should be no surprise to you that we have taken a keen interest in that and we've had a lot of intelligence take a hard look at that. I would just say at this point, it's inconclusive, although the weight of evidence seems to indicate natural, but we don't know for certain."

“Even today, I see them withholding information and I think we need to do more to continue to press them to share,” Secretary of Defense Mark Esper told “America’s Newsroom" on Wednesday, referring to China. Esper added that he wouldn't speak to "intelligence reporting," but that "most people believe it began naturally -- it was organic, if you will. I think in due course, once we get through the pandemic we're in right now, there'll be time to look back and really ascertain what happened and make sure we have a better understanding so we can prevent this in the future."

Speaking to "The Story" Wednesday evening, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo remarked: "What we do know is we know that this virus originated in Wuhan, China. We know there is the Wuhan Institute of Virology just a handful of miles away from where the wet market was. There is still lots to learn. You should know that the United States government is working diligently to figure it out."

Concerning the State Department cables warning about the Wuhan laboratory, Pompeo said the installation "contained highly contagious materials -- we knew that, we knew that they were working on this program, many countries have programs like this. In countries that are open and transparent, they have the ability to control them and keep them safe, and they allow outside observers in to make sure all the processes and procedures are right. I only wish that that had happened in this place."

Americans were originally helping train the Chinese in a program called PREVENT well before the Chinese started working on this virus. The French government helped the Chinese set up the Wuhan lab.

China "100 percent" suppressed data and changed data, the sources tell Fox News. Samples were destroyed, contaminated areas scrubbed, some early reports erased, and academic articles stifled.

There were doctors and journalists who were "disappeared" warning of the spread of the virus and its contagious nature and human to human transmission. China moved quickly to shut down travel domestically from Wuhan to the rest of China, but did not stop international flights from Wuhan.

Additionally, the sources tell Fox News the World Health Organization (WHO) was complicit from the beginning in helping China cover its tracks.

Trump announced at the White House coronavirus news briefing in the Rose Garden on Tuesday that the United States will immediately halt all funding for the WHO, saying it had put "political correctness over lifesaving measures." The United States is the WHO's largest single donor, and the State Department had previously planned to provide the agency $893 million in the current two-year funding period.

Senior administrations separately tell Fox News the rollout of the president’s “blueprint for re-opening the U.S. economy” will happen Thursday afternoon, first for governors and then briefed to the press.

Meanwhile, Trump's own handling of the crisis has come into focus. On January 24, for example, Trump tweeted in praise of China’s “transparency" on coronavirus.

Though they were not speaking for the president, the sources ventured an explanation, saying it was diplomatic talk to make the Chinese "feel good". while the investigation was ongoing, with trade and other talks happening simultaneously.

In the six days after top Chinese officials secretly determined they likely were facing a pandemic from a new coronavirus, the city of Wuhan at the epicenter of the disease hosted a mass banquet for tens of thousands of people; millions began traveling through for Lunar New Year celebrations.

President Xi Jinping warned the public on the seventh day, Jan. 20. But by that time, more than 3,000 people had been infected during almost a week of public silence, according to internal documents obtained by The Associated Press and expert estimates based on retrospective infection data.

“This is tremendous,” said Zuo-Feng Zhang, an epidemiologist at the University of California, Los Angeles. “If they took action six days earlier, there would have been much fewer patients and medical facilities would have been sufficient. We might have avoided the collapse of Wuhan’s medical system.”

Fox News' Barnini Chakraborty and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

[/quote]
2020-04-15, 7:25 PM #302
https://img-prod.tgcom24.mediaset.it/images/2020/02/16/114720192-5eb8307f-017c-4075-a697-348628da0204.pdf

Quote:
The second laboratory was ~12 kilometers from the seafood market and belonged to Wuhan Institute of Virology, Chinese Academy of Sciences 1, 9, 10. This laboratory reported that the Chinese horseshoe bats were natural reservoirs for the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus (SARS-CoV) which caused the 2002-3 pandemic [9]. The principle investigator participated in a project which generated a chimeric virus using the SARS-CoV reverse genetics system, and reported the potential for human emergence [10]. A direct speculation was that SARS-CoV or its derivative might leak from the laboratory.
2020-04-17, 2:01 AM #303
Originally posted by Impi:
Just read that prisoners with little time left or only small crimes are being released. It's supposed to be only temporary, meaning that they'll have to go back as soon as this is all over. But they are encouraged to treat this as parole so that they don't have to go back. Prisons are also encouraged to write positively about the released prisoners to the judges who will then decide whether it could be treated as parole officially.

To balance this out, people in pre-trial detention can now be held for more than 6 months if the trial is postponed because of corona.
Sorry for the lousy German
2020-04-17, 10:01 AM #304
Jones this is the worst conspiracy theory
2020-04-17, 10:25 AM #305
I hadn't bothered to look this up until now due to Jones and Spooks posts and if you can get past the fact that it's Glenn Beck you might find it interesting.

"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2020-04-17, 10:44 AM #306
The county I live in reported yesterday morning that there had been no new cases in the past 1 week. Yesterday afternoon they revised this to say there has been 1 new case in the past 7 days.

I went to Target yesterday and it was almost empty of shoppers. I think there were more employees than customers. Granted we went there at ~8:15PM and they were closing at 9PM (but pre-COVID19 they stayed open until 11PM I think).
2020-04-17, 6:09 PM #307
Not sure if that Fox News story has any factual basis. Seems plausible that Chinese researchers in Wuhan were infected, though? I can’t remember but I think that PDF I linked said something about the lab handling bats? Whereas the Wuhan market didn’t actually have bats, and was probably scapegoated by the CCP as part of a coverup.

Speaking of Wuhan, though, RIP that widely cited model for COVID-19 projections in the US: https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/17/influential-covid-19-model-uses-flawed-methods-shouldnt-guide-policies-critics-say/

Apparently, it’s not much of an epidemiological model, so much as curve fitting US data to the Wuhan data... oops.
2020-04-17, 6:13 PM #308
Apparently Stanford released the results of its small serological study of antibody presence in Santa Clara County. According to the study, if people who voluntarily click on Facebook ads to go have their finger pricked are a representative sample of the general popu... nevermind
2020-04-17, 6:44 PM #309
Not sure if that Fox News story has any factual basis.

If you're referring to the video I posted it was supposedly debunked (on Facebook) by a "fact checker" based on some USA Today article which resulted in Glenn Beck being demonetized and whatever. The debunking was apparently debunked and Facebook has rescinded those actions. It's also not Fox News but Beck's media company.

On the topic of news networks I wonder if anyone actually watches any of them anymore. I keep hearing about how they're trashing the Trump Protocol (HydroxyCholoroquin, sp?) as an unproven drug. In nonmainstream news I haven't actually heard a doctor that has tried it say anything bad about it.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2020-04-17, 6:52 PM #310
Not sure if that Fox News story has any factual basis. Seems plausible that Chinese researchers in Wuhan were infected, though? I can’t remember but I think that PDF I linked said something about the lab handling bats? Whereas the Wuhan market didn’t actually have bats, and was probably scapegoated by the CCP as part of a coverup.

Speaking of Wuhan, though, RIP that widely cited model for COVID-19 projections in the US: https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/17/influential-covid-19-model-uses-flawed-methods-shouldnt-guide-policies-critics-say/

Apparently, it’s not much of an epidemiological model, so much as curve fitting US data to the Wuhan data... oops.

You're going to trust Harvard when they sold China the virus?

Ugh Im too lazy to find a bad source for the sake of the joke here you go

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/charles-lieber-arrested-coronavirus/
2020-04-17, 9:30 PM #311
Originally posted by Wookie06:
If you're referring to the video I posted

Sorry, I didn’t watch the Glenn Beck video you posted. I have never listened to a Glenn Beck segment in my life which didn’t feel like a total waste of my time.
2020-04-17, 9:34 PM #312
Originally posted by Spook:
You're going to trust Harvard when they sold China the virus?

Ugh Im too lazy to find a bad source for the sake of the joke here you go

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/charles-lieber-arrested-coronavirus/

Harvard is pretty much the CIA, soooo... I guess we better be careful
2020-04-17, 10:49 PM #313
Sorry, I didn’t watch the Glenn Beck video you posted. I have never listened to a Glenn Beck segment in my life which didn’t feel like a total waste of my time.

Oh, no, that's fine. I know Glenn Beck used to be associated with Fox News so I wasn't sure. The video I posted was based on facts so you probably wouldn't have wanted to waste your time on it.

2020-04-17, 11:51 PM #314
I only listen to Tucker now
2020-04-18, 5:01 AM #315
Originally posted by Wookie06:
In nonmainstream news I haven't actually heard a doctor that has tried it say anything bad about it.

In medical preprints:

So far the only studies that have shown "promising" results didn't have a control group, so didn't actually say anything. Rigorous studies so far have all failed to reject the null hypothesis, but all authors are hedging because of known methodological problems. A large-scale trial was ended in Brazil because the side effects were causing more harm than the disease.

In other words it doesn't do ****.

Neither does remdesivir.
2020-04-18, 9:31 AM #316
I've heard several doctors in interviews that have said quite the opposite but I realize that is considered anecdotal. Fortunately we have a clinical trial underway in South Dakota so hopefully we will get accurate information on this.

I've also generally become quite skeptical over how well we actually know who has the virus. I've heard that a test used, I don't know how many tests we have, is unreliable because it can false positive for other coronaviruses. I've also wondered if that is the same reason we have heard of false negatives. If the test was or is still fundamentally flawed then so much of what has followed is junk.

2020-04-18, 9:41 AM #317
I’m sure the virus is very sad that you’re sceptical.
2020-04-19, 1:12 PM #318
Oh dear God, this thing is sentient now?

2020-04-19, 10:14 PM #319
i mean, it's more sentient than the LIBERATE protesters
2020-04-19, 10:35 PM #320
I had to Google that. So Trump made a tweet and some people are protesting in agreement? Cool. Looks like they've ran out of news to report.

↑ Up to the top!