Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → POLL: Do you look down on blacks?
POLL: Do you look down on blacks?
2004-03-03, 5:04 PM #121
Just as there stereotypical white movies, like American Pie, etc. I'm talking about neutral ground, like the Matrix, Star Wars, Fight Club, Aliens, etc.

Basically sci-fi/fantasy flicks.

------------------
My Tracks
2004-03-03, 5:05 PM #122
A lot of my white and black friends found it to be funny. I myself didnt see it, because i am cheap, and was broke at the time.

[edit]well maybe not as many black people want to be in science fiction movies as white people, or there are more white actors than black actors. And i wouldnt call american pie a stereotypical white person film... i mean it was all about partying(mostly)... black people party, too.[/edit]

------------------
There are two asses in Massassi... and I'm one of them.
The Matrix Unplugged|The Valley of the Jedi Tower|Smaug's Lair

[This message has been edited by Cazor (edited March 03, 2004).]
2004-03-03, 5:08 PM #123
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Em Playa:
Basically sci-fi/fantasy flicks.</font>

Why are sci-fi/fantasy flicks 'neutral ground'? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd imagine the majority of sci-fi/fantasy writers over the years have been white.

Anyways, the only majority-black movie I can think of is Coming to America.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.

[This message has been edited by Spork (edited March 03, 2004).]
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-03-03, 5:09 PM #124
Em Playa, the problem you are having with people not liking your speach is because of the fact that people on these forums value good grammar and spelling. You said that you know proper grammar-this would probably be a good place to use it.

I don't look down on black people or anyone untill they give me a good reason to. They made some awesome music in the 60s, and the ones I am friends with are just like anyone else. The only difference I can see is who our ancestors were.

I do have a few gripes with certain blacks. First, with all of the equality stuff, it has all gone too far. It seems like in all of the attention blacks have drawn to themselves to be equal, they have just made themselves unequal again. This day in age, maybe if they didn't make it an issue then it wouldn't be one.
Second, a number of the blacks at my school seem to have huge chips on their shoulders. They stand in the middle of the hall between classes and expect everyone else to go around them, this is just rude. They also seem to need to draw attention to themselves by being very loud and walking like they have limps in both legs. I guess I just can't associate with their attitudes.
Third, slavery. Again, I think this is only an issue because of a limited number of very outspoken people. Slavery is over, we said we were sorry, a bunch of white people died fighting over it, just let bygones be bygones, and be thankful that you aren't in all of the fighting in Africa.

One more thing: "The N word" WTH!? A white would almost be slapped in jail for uttering it, yet I hear blacks call each other that all of the time.

------------------
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." -Isaac Asimov
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2004-03-03, 5:12 PM #125
Quote:
They weren't the majority of the cast though... I'm talking about a movie where the main roles are blacks.

</font>

Glory? Roots?

Em, people would be complaining about the way you type even if they didn't know your ethnicity

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-03-03, 5:13 PM #126
Heh, Bobbert... the n-word. I've used it with white and black friends, because its fun to say, and no one really gets offended because its just such a silly word. Like Paul Mooney said, it doesnt have power anymore. It used to have power when people would say "hang that n****" or "get over here, n****"... things like that. Now it is blasted all over music and television. It's just another word.

------------------
There are two asses in Massassi... and I'm one of them.
The Matrix Unplugged|The Valley of the Jedi Tower|Smaug's Lair
2004-03-03, 5:13 PM #127
Quote:
Yet another question!: How do you feel about blacks roles in movies? Do you think that some roles can't be fit for blacks? Like if Lord of the Rings were all black then would you think it would be different/weird? And why?

</font>

Someone forgetting the Southrons for LOTR? In ROTK Im pretty sure they were played by black people... (the people riding the oliphaunts -- Southrons right?)

------------------
Member of the Minneassian Council
2004-03-03, 5:13 PM #128
So, if an author is white his/her characters have to be white?

------------------
My Tracks
2004-03-03, 5:16 PM #129
SAJN: Instead, we have BET and a bunch of white people *****ing about it.

Slug: Yeah, you're racist. Along with your other random prejudices, you're basically a bitter ball of twisted hate. Don't ask me how to fix it, either. I have dozens of acquaintances and a couple friends exactly like you. I think it's probably their inferiority complexes.

[This message has been edited by Ictus (edited March 03, 2004).]
2004-03-03, 5:17 PM #130
There is no way I can go through the 4 pages, so I'll address Em's first post.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I think that the majority of whites look down on the black culture and do not view them as equals... I'm tryin to see if this is true here...
I know this topic may be controversial but please don't get mad. This is just a poll so please answer honestly. I will not view you as a less of a man/woman if you look down on blacks... just please tell me why.
I feel this is true for the most part in my experience here... I get ridiculed and made fun of just cuz I type different. I am an "enemy" of you guys, apparently.
Now post your opinion.
</font>
First off, the "enemy" thing was a joke. You've never watched a show or movie where there is some guy behind the scenes pulling the strings of some mafia group or something, and then when the protagonist discovers his identity, he says something like "So, our king pin has a face after all". I'm sorry if I offended you and it was not meant that way.

On the racism issue: I don't care if someone is white, black, latino, whatever. If they are a good person, they are a good person. If they are a douche bag, they are a douche bag. Jack***ness is color blind. Of course, this doesn't mean I'll walk into Harlem and act like everyone is my homie. That goes from acceptance into stupidity.

------------------
Checksum: I thought about it, I guess I'm striving for my own personal ideals. I'll just project those ideals onto Jesus and say "I'm trying to be like Jesus" so that I won't have to listen to you banter endlessly about me worshipping a false god or some such.

The Last True Evil: Ironically, that's very Christian of you.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-03-03, 5:19 PM #131
Quote:
So, if an author is white his/her characters have to be white?</font>

I never said that, I just implied it can serve as justification.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-03-03, 5:19 PM #132
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cazor:
Heh, Bobbert... the n-word. I've used it with white and black friends, because its fun to say, and no one really gets offended because its just such a silly word. Like Paul Mooney said, it doesnt have power anymore. It used to have power when people would say "hang that n****" or "get over here, n****"... things like that. Now it is blasted all over music and television. It's just another word.

</font>

There is a difference between the "a" and "er" ending you know? I can sense the hatred in somene when they say "er". Its been said to me, and trust me..its not a good feeling. The word you "throw" around with your friends is nigga. I guess same word different meaning in the context. If some white kid came up to me saying either I would give him the weird eye..beat his *** if he said er, and if he said a i would ask him what he is doing.

------------------
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-03-03, 5:21 PM #133
It's true, but black folks walking around calling each other ****a doesn't exactly help create a postive image of themselves. You don't see white people calling each other "cracka".

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-03-03, 5:21 PM #134
Quote:
So, if an author is white his/her characters have to be white?

</font>

An author for the most part will make his protagonists similar to he is. In my case, that makes most of my protagonists slightly jaded, young, single Jewish males, but it doesn't preclude me from having someone else.

------------------
Superstition brings bad luck.
-Raymond Smullyan, 5000B.C.
:master::master::master:
2004-03-03, 5:22 PM #135
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Avenger:
It's true, but black folks walking around calling each other ****a doesn't exactly help create a postive image of themselves. You don't see white people calling each other "cracka".

</font>

Crackaplease. Don't talk that.

------------------
Superstition brings bad luck.
-Raymond Smullyan, 5000B.C.
:master::master::master:
2004-03-03, 5:23 PM #136
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Slug:
I'm definitely prejudicial towards young black males. Every crime that's ever been committed towards me or any place that I worked was by a young black male. Thus, I think it would just be stupid of me not to face up to simple statistics and realise that I'm more likely to be mugged by a black guy than any other race. Do I think this is because of some inherent inferiority? Of course not. But because of social situations in my area, yes, blacks certainly are most likely to committ a crime. So, when a group of thug-looking black kids comes into the place that I work, I keep an eye on them. If it turns out they're nice kids, great. I'm not prejudiced to the point where I'll refuse to be friendly with a black guy - My two closest friends are black - But yeah, I'll assume worse things about a black person at first glance than a white person. And I don't feel any particular guilt about that. Young black males, as a group, have failed to give me any reason *not* to be suspicious. Similarly, if I see a guy with green hair, I assume he's got absolutely nothing of any importance or interest to say, because, well, they rarely do. I've been proven wrong once on this though, and ended up befriending the guy. Still, it's been proven right many times, and I'm sure I've dodged some unpleasant conversations because of this prejudice.

Black females, no problem. Old black guys? Some of the coolest people as a group that you'll find.
</font>

I was thinking about this on my way home from work today.

I can understand your reasoning, yet I cannot respect it. Maybe I just feel that you should look at everyone as an invidual. I feel into your trap a few years ago. Every white person I see outside of my close friends I questions their truthfulness in their friendship with me. I fear going to white girls houses just because of certain instances I have been in with certain people. It disgust me that I have to think this way, so I am trying to change it. If they cant change their ways, I have to change mine. So like I said before...I understand what you are saying, I just cant respect it cause after doing it myself, I dont see any good coming out of it.

------------------

10/7/85 - 12/9/03

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-03-03, 5:25 PM #137
personally no i dont. my boyfriends half south african and a sexy beast at that

i know my mom is like afraid of going to like malls by herself, like square one in mississauga because not so much black people, but her reasoning is exactly that of Sine. shes totally bothered by this stupid thug thing, and indeed i am as well. its just another colour of the rainbow really.

------------------
[teletubbie voice] BIG HUG!!!! [/teletubbie voice]
[teletubbie voice] BIG HUG!!!! [/teletubbie voice]
2004-03-03, 5:25 PM #138
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Avenger:

</font>

Never said it does. Reason why I dont use the word. It is pictured with that thug menality now. And cracka..lol. How many of you would actually be offended if I called you a cracka. What kind of insult is that? A cracker was the term dubbed for the dude who cracked the whip on the slaves. Why would I be putting you on a high horse and call you a cracker?

------------------

10/7/85 - 12/9/03

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-03-03, 5:27 PM #139
Monoxide, I don't think that the people riding the Oliphants were real at all, at least not the people in the towers.

------------------
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." -Isaac Asimov
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2004-03-03, 5:28 PM #140
There's a whole genre of literary criticism dealing with how the race of the author, the characters and the reader affect eachother. A good book I'd suggest on the issue is Tony Morrison's Playing in the Dark: Whiteness and the Literary Imagination. If you've read Morrison you'll know she's incredibly ****ing smart and will not dumb down her writing for her readers. It's been over a year since I read it so I can't readily summarize its arguments but she has wonderful insight into how white writers have traditionally used black characters and darkness itself in their literature. That is, if you really wanted to dig into the subject.
2004-03-03, 5:28 PM #141
I think Slug makes a good point. He doesn't hate these blacks that come in to where he works, he just keeps an eye on them because his personal history says they are more likely to do something than a white group.

------------------
Checksum: I thought about it, I guess I'm striving for my own personal ideals. I'll just project those ideals onto Jesus and say "I'm trying to be like Jesus" so that I won't have to listen to you banter endlessly about me worshipping a false god or some such.

The Last True Evil: Ironically, that's very Christian of you.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-03-03, 5:31 PM #142
Hmm, I might have to pick that up at the library man... thanks.

------------------
My Tracks
2004-03-03, 5:32 PM #143
Cracker refers to the poor white farmers that lived in the backwoods of the South after the Civil War. They were called "crackers" because they were too poor to affoard anything but cracker to eat. Has hoting to do with cracking a whip.

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-03-03, 5:34 PM #144
I haven't read any of the previous posts, but being an asian that talks to, plays bball with, dances with/against, goes to school to, and does many other things with black kids and kids of all other races, I couldn't see how I could [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
Sigs are for n00bs.

[1337 FRNDS_Pommy | 3.14 of 14 | » And-GTx2]
Half-Life 2 Central - your definitive source for everything HL2!
一个大西瓜
2004-03-03, 6:02 PM #145
I also haven't actually read the whole thread but...
I don't think I look down on any other races specifically. Like some others have said, the whole 'rap culture' thing kind of annoys me... but that's pretty race-independent. White, black, whatever..
2004-03-03, 6:14 PM #146
I feel in debt to black people, so I always try and make a good impression on them. I try to ignore prejudices other people genorate.

As far as the prejudice thing goes, I try not to judge them by their skin color, but rather by their manner and clothing. For example, if I saw a black person in neat clothes who is well spoken, I would treat him just as I would treat a white person in the same clothes and manner. However, if I saw a black OR white person in gangsta clothes with gold chains and a football jersey, I would probobly avoid them. I genrally feel alienated by blacks, or whites for that matter, who talk in a heavy "gangsta" accent. In reality, I generally see more blacks with that "gangsta attitude" stereotype than whites.
2004-03-03, 6:17 PM #147
Quote:
Could someone give me the name of a movie where the majority of the cast were black, and didn't play a role in a stereotypical black environment?

I.E. A movie like Star Wars, Fight Club, etc.

</font>

The ghost and the darkness has alot of black actors, but then it takes place in africa. You won't normally see a majority of black actors in your average hollywood movie - not because people are racist - but black people are a minority, and unless the movie revolves around blacks or takes place in their home countries, you simply won't see an all-black cast. It's not racism, it's realism.

------------------
When bread becomes toast, it can never go back to being bread again.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-03-03, 6:23 PM #148
No, I don't look down on people if they have different skin color. And I don't look down on people if they are foreigners, like some people do.

It depends on the person him/herself. They make themselves seem like what they are, and if I don't like the way they are, then I don't.

But I still think that white people are the worst.

------------------
<landfish> FastGamerr > Satan
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-03-03, 6:23 PM #149
For me it has come to a point where i don't even notice the color of peoples skin, i just really don't care. In fact racism really bugs me, even when i read it in a book.

The host of a radio news talk show thingy i think said it best, he said that white people just naturely feel more comfortable around white people, and black people just feel more confortable around other black people, it isn't racism, its just a natural feeling.

------------------

"Run Away!"
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2004-03-03, 6:28 PM #150
That's defininatly true. But I think that is only because you hear so much about racism and people are afraid of it, so it makes the atmosphere uneasy.

Edit: sp

[This message has been edited by Mystic0 (edited March 03, 2004).]
2004-03-03, 6:54 PM #151
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ictus:
Slug: Yeah, you're racist. Along with your other random prejudices, you're basically a bitter ball of twisted hate. Don't ask me how to fix it, either. I have dozens of acquaintances and a couple friends exactly like you. I think it's probably their inferiority complexes.</font>

I'm sorry, was that *your* grandmother that I brutally murdered? You seem a bit upset, and I really didn't say anything volatile on this thread, so I'm just kinda trying to figure out where the anger may be coming from....

Thanks for offering to help me fix what I've already established is something that I feel absolutely no guilt about. It's common sense. If the same type of person continually commits criminal acts against you, and you don't make a correlation, you're not a better person, you're just a ****ing idiot with no basic survival skills. Enjoy walking down a dark alley in a ghetto and getting shot to death for your shoes because you were above things like 'estimating the level of danger based on the types of people who might be in that alley'. God forbid you offend someone by assuming incorrectly that they're up to no good.

If every single thief in my store is a young black guy that talks in nearly unintelligible ebonics, I'd be an absolute moron not to keep closer watch on that type of person.

This isn't me saying "I HATE NIGGERS! RAAAWWWRRR!", and severing all ties with the very cool blacks that I know. It's me going "Oh, hey there common sense. How ya doing? What's that? Keep an eye on that guy that fits the profile of a thief to the absolute T? Sounds like a plan"

My deepest, most sincere apologies that the asians around here aren't stealing my **** en masse and mugging me at knife-point. My apologies that the physical descriptions of the last two groups of people over the past year who have been robbing our stores at gunpoint and pistol-whipping tied up employees isn't 'middle-eastern'.
2004-03-03, 6:54 PM #152
Subconsciously, I bet both of you guys (em playa, raoul) act inferior just to get them to look down on you, justifying the whole issue.

Do I look down on black people? No, I look down on anyone who acts like an idiot, and I give respect where it's deserved.

I do admittedly tend to look down on women, but hey, they are actually shorter.
2004-03-03, 7:01 PM #153
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mystic0:
... However, if I saw a black OR white person in gangsta clothes with gold chains and a football jersey, I would probobly avoid them. I genrally feel alienated by blacks, or whites for that matter, who talk in a heavy "gangsta" accent. In reality, I generally see more blacks with that "gangsta attitude" stereotype than whites.</font>

...wtf is everyone's problems with "gangstas" ... half the people you think are gangstas don't even really belong to a crew or set .. and even so, you shouldn't automatically dislike them because they act or dress a certain way.

Especially since many many people dress "that way" ... myself, my friends, and half the people I grew up with included ... and we don't belong to any g crews or sets, nor do we act it ...

Don't be so pre-judged and close-mineded.

------------------
Sigs are for n00bs.

一个大西瓜
2004-03-03, 7:05 PM #154
Pommy, what the hell are you talking about? You shouldn't form opinions of people based on their actions?

Yes you should, that's all we've got.

That's what it comes down to, Em Playa, nobody here except a scant few find any humor in that whole "bling bling, foshizzle my nizzle" thing that you do.

Seriously, what makes you think Massassi likes rap? We're a bunch of introverted computer nerds.
2004-03-03, 7:08 PM #155
Checksum, I'm talking about "omfg he's wearing a jersey he sucks I hate him let me go and get ten thousand of my friends to hate on him and beat the **** out of him".

[ok, I just read my previous post .. when I said "act a certain way," I didn't mean judge them based on their personality ... it's difficult to make my meaning clear =/]

------------------
Sigs are for n00bs.

[This message has been edited by Pommy (edited March 03, 2004).]
一个大西瓜
2004-03-03, 7:13 PM #156
And wtf, I like rap. The rap that isn't mindless droning about the same topic over and over, at least. Underground = own xP

------------------
Sigs are for n00bs.

一个大西瓜
2004-03-03, 7:42 PM #157
Yeah, some rap even *I* like. Okay, that's a lie. People are free to like rap, but it's pretty safe to say Massassi doesn't like rap as a community.

This guy, Em Playa, came here with rap as his major issue. I still don't know if this guy even knows what Star Wars is.

I'm also beginning to suspect Raoul Duke is an alternate account of Em Playa.
2004-03-03, 8:02 PM #158
Checksum, go die. And btw, I'm white, just to stop you making a further fool out of yourself.

"Em Playa, the problem you are having with people not liking your speach is because of the fact that people on these forums value good grammar and spelling. You said that you know proper grammar-this would probably be a good place to use it."

OMFG!!!! I keep reading this, but if you ACTUALLY look at Em Playa's posts he doesn't speak "ghetto" in the least!!!!!! For god's sake he has better grammar and spelling then most people here. He speaks the same as any of you, the only reason you accuse him of different is because you know he is black and likes rap.

[This message has been edited by Raoul Duke (edited March 03, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Raoul Duke (edited March 03, 2004).]
2004-03-03, 8:14 PM #159
He used to write in about 89% 'ghetto slang'...

[This message has been edited by Yossarian (edited March 03, 2004).]
Those bees all have paws!
2004-03-03, 8:19 PM #160
I have a political rant on this very subject

I have been called racist by a black man because I support G.W. Bush. Damn true story. It pissed me off to no end. This is one of the things in politics that really angers me is that because I have conservative tendancies, I'm a racist. It is a senseless, baseless, slanderful, spiteful remark. I'll have none of it.
End Rant

My track coach is black. Love him to death. Probably the most wisest of men I've ever met. We disagree on politics. But we're men about it. We don't call each other names, or mutter hateful remarks. A topic that he and I were talking about ended up being a very good discussion amongst my teammates. Also,If I'm ever in trouble and I have no one to go to, I would definitely seek his counsel.

And with that, I'm done.

------------------
<scribbly handwriting barely resembling name>
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.

↑ Up to the top!